Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

World's First Hollow Metal Core Golf Ball!

• SPY VIP

Just got a press release from this company...definitely something different from the standpoint of golf ball designs.

Have any of you ever had a chance to try these yet? If so what were your thoughts?

VISIT WEBSITE

omen-golf-ball.jpg

#TruthDigest

So when you scuff or cut the cover, can you send the core in to be recovered?! Since they're hollow, do they float?!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Since they're hollow, do they float?!

Sadly, there will never be a golf ball that floats. In order to float the must displace more water than they weigh. By rule they can be no less than 1.68 inches diameter and no more than 1.62 onces. I have done the math and will not bore you with the details but a golf ball floats might go a hundred yards with a driver.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a press release from this company...definitely something different from the standpoint of golf ball designs.

Have any of you ever had a chance to try these yet? If so what were your thoughts?

VISIT WEBSITE

omen-golf-ball.jpg

I would love to have it, just to cut it into halves. I know I'm weird, but I thought it looks so cool being hollow core :D

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

So when you scuff or cut the cover, can you send the core in to be recovered?! Since they're hollow, do they float?!

They might float. Even normal golf balls may float in muddy waters.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Sadly, there will never be a golf ball that floats. In order to float the must displace more water than they weigh. By rule they can be no less than 1.68 inches diameter and no more than 1.62 onces. I have done the math and will not bore you with the details but a golf ball floats might go a hundred yards with a driver.

Please tell me... I'm not a physics / science guy. I always thought the question of whether something floats on water, is dependent on that object's density versus that of water?

As for the question of whether the ball will fly far if it floats, it'll be interesting to explore as well.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Seems like an idea that many companies would have thought of (Titleist, TM, Callaway, Srixon, etc.), but obviously have abandoned . It's a golf ball war out there and good ideas don't slip by huge R&D departments. Maybe it's actually a bad idea?

I spy with my little eye something...

I no longer have all of the numbers that I did at the time because I used the back of an envelope while running the numbers, but it goes like this, in order for something to float it is must displace more water than it weighs. If you have ever heard the term ship displacement or watched old movies, especially WWII submarine movies where they are talking about a ship being "5000 tons" or whatever, they are not talking about how much the ship actually weights, but how much water weighs that is pushed out of the way, displaced, by the surface of the ships hull to the waterline. In order for something to float it must weigh less than the liquid it suspended in. So a ship is actually filled with air. If you replace the air inside with water, then the ship will sink. However, this does not apply in reverse. Just because something is filled with air does not necessarily mean it will float. It must still weigh less than the water it displaces.

So the rules of golf state that a golf ball can be no SMALLER than 1.680" and that it can weigh no MORE than 1.620 oz. This means that there is nothing in the rules that says a golf ball can not float. Why is this stated that way? ...can be no smaller... and... can weigh no more.... This is important because they are trying to limit the distance a ball can fly. The heavier and smaller it is the faster it can fly. The bigger and lighter it is the better it can float.. A balloon floats but it looses its momentum very quickly when you throw it.

There are many wiffle balls out there that will float. But they do not travel as far. Why? Because they displace enough water, but do not have enough weight to maintain their momentum and loose their speed very quickly.

I hope I explained that without you needing to be a physicist or a 3 year old.

Even if they could, why would a golf ball company want to make a golf ball that will float. Why do people buy golf balls? Because they knocked the last dozen in the lake. If golf balls floated, then we could play them until we either lost them in the rough or wore them out. How often have you worn your golf ball out? Compared to hitting it in the water, how many times do you lose your ball o.b. or in the hazard vs in the water. So even if the law of physics was not against us on this, they still would not float.

Archived