TESTERS WANTED! ×

what are you working on this off Season

With the off season coming up and some folks have to put there clubs away for the season due to weather or just not playing as much over the winter (here in the States), I am curious what you plan to work on?  As I sit here this morning with my coffee,  reading MGS threads and seeing some other folks knowing what they are going to work on, I haven't even thought about it. Wondering if a person picks one thing and decides to be an expert and get their 10,000 reps in. This is something I have never thought about doing as I am focus on thing for a few weeks, get better and then move onto another aspect of my sad golf game. 

I have a plethora of things I need to work on. Driver & chipping being the two standouts from this season, but putting and approach are always in need of improvement.  Not to mention taking the winter and really focus on my body, dropping weight and just look & feel healthier. These seem pretty general but I think I want to put most of my focus on one or two things, come up with a plan by say mid Nov and start the journey to 10,000 reps by March 1st or whenever reporting season begins. 

What are some things you guys want to focus on and what is your game plan to get there? 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I’ve already started since the sun doesn’t get out until 7 and my daughter wakes up soon after.

Four things for me:

1: mental game (lots of meditation and mindfulness)

2: fitness (fit for golf off-season and winter programs and speed training.)

3: short game / putting (low hanging fruit I can work on when I make it to the range or at home)

4: swing work from lessons (exaggerated swings and foam ball hits in park. Main focus is on technique so when I get to the course I can just react instead of think out there). 

on a side note getting my irons MOI matched in two weeks to see if I can gain a little more consistency. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

20 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I’ve already started since the sun doesn’t get out until 7 and my daughter wakes up soon after.

Four things for me:

1: mental game (lots of meditation and mindfulness)

2: fitness (fit for golf off-season and winter programs and speed training.)

3: short game / putting (low hanging fruit I can work on when I make it to the range or at home)

4: swing work from lessons (exaggerated swings and foam ball hits in park. Main focus is on technique so when I get to the course I can just react instead of think out there). 

on a side note getting my irons MOI matched in two weeks to see if I can gain a little more consistency. 

I saw your post in the other thread and one of the main reasons for this one. great goals you have and I am positive you will get there. 

One of my main goals is going to be fitness. We have met, I'd like to be in shape and not a shape (round) by spring. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

13 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

I saw your post in the other thread and one of the main reasons for this one. great goals you have and I am positive you will get there. 

One of my main goals is going to be fitness. We have met, I'd like to be in shape and not a shape (round) by spring. 

You can get there! If you want a good routine, fit for golf is great. He provides options for home and gym workouts. 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

I spent a lot of time in the mornings last winter in my old hitting bay in 40-50º temps working on my ball striking.  That room has been torn down and a new one built, but not yet finished.  Here's the latest...

IMG_1677.jpeg.afa1870332482f938100d7d7845d01dd.jpeg

I will continue with ball striking drills.  This will save me trips to the driving range on days I don't play.  We play all year, assuming no snow.  

It will also be my exercise room; working on strength, flexibility and speed training... and it will have HEAT and A/C!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me i want to lock in some technique changes. This means video and range/net time. 

At some point when I have an actual plan i will do a full thread about it with the changes that i want to work on. The other part will be grip and making it a bit looser as it is pretty strong right now. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I play in Texas so we can play pretty much all year but I will continue to work on 100 yards and in and my putting.  Need to get my up and downs to 3.5 to 4 from 2.7 and putts to 30 or better from 32.  I will also work on building confidence in hitting full shot fades.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

1) Hip replacement rehab

2) Speed - so Rypsticks three nights a week, and fitness routine for strength/core/fexability in the morning a few times a week  

3) I’m sticking w my Skillest coach over the winter w some indoor drills to improve my take away(more outside and vertical) and whatever else she tells me to do…she has a winter plan.

4) The Birdieball PuttUp comes out of its summer hibernation to work on putting path 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Might be able to get out a couple more times this year but otherwise I'm switching focus back to the gym.  Since the pandemic and some general mismanagement at work, we've been on mandatory overtime for a couple years now so I've had to choose between golf and gym; there's just not enough time for both.  I've come to realize that strength training is a big mental health boost and I'm looking forward to it, along with some golf-related core and flexibility stuff.

My wife is in the process of kicking the golf stuff out of the basement and moving it into the garage.  The net is set up but the garage isn't heated so I suspect I won't use it as much as I'd like.  I'd like to hit the range a couple times but realistically I need to work on my putting.  No game plan, though.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

On 10/15/2022 at 7:38 PM, Kenny B said:

I spent a lot of time in the mornings last winter in my old hitting bay in 40-50º temps working on my ball striking.  That room has been torn down and a new one built, but not yet finished.  Here's the latest...

IMG_1677.jpeg.afa1870332482f938100d7d7845d01dd.jpeg

I will continue with ball striking drills.  This will save me trips to the driving range on days I don't play.  We play all year, assuming no snow.  

It will also be my exercise room; working on strength, flexibility and speed training... and it will have HEAT and A/C!!

Ball striking and core strength for me too.  Unfortunately my home gym is a cabin in the garden without the headroom you have so garden net on non wet days, range otherwise.

Key for me this winter is target setting rather than just vague goals.  Haven't quite figured out which metrics to use (I am probably limited by my R10) but probably decent percentage moves on Smash Factor and Spin Rate.   Any better suggestions gratefully received as I am still at the planning stage!

Edited by GrahamB1967

Brief version, to be updated later

Driver - Srixon Z785 with Miyazaki Mahana  5 Stiff

3 Wood - Ping G425

Hybrid / Driving Iron (they swap, regularly!) -  Ping G425 3H 19 degrees /Ping G410 Crossover 3 iron 20 degrees

Irons (4-PW) - Ping i210

Wedges - TaylorMade MG3  - 50, 54, 58

Putter  - Scotty Cameron Phantom X7 or Newport 2 Studio Select (with custom R/W/B infill) when I am feeling retro and can steal it back from my son

Shoes  - Nike Jordan 1G (only listed because my boy says it will make me look cooler)

47 minutes ago, GrahamB1967 said:

Ball striking and core strength for me too.  Unfortunately my home gym is a cabin in the garden without the headroom you have so garden net on non wet days, range otherwise.

Key for me this winter is target setting rather than just vague goals.  Haven't quite figured out which metrics to use (I am probably limited by my R10) but probably decent percentage moves on Smash Factor and Spin Rate.   Any better suggestions gratefully received as I am still at the planning stage!

4 years ago I did the SuperSpeed training and it improved my swing speed, but then I moved and didn't really have the place to continue.  I was able to spend a lot of time focusing on club face contact.  I got much better with PW-8i; longer clubs are still an issue.  When I get my new hitting bay up and running, I will set a plan and monitor progress using the launch monitor. I've found that it's better to always record your data for each session so you can see any progress (or lack thereof).  The SS training will return because I need to increase speed (or at least keep what speed I have in my old age).  Best of luck in your journey!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So for me this off season is shaping up a couple of ways.

First is in general fitness/health. My wife and I are getting into Pickleball that we're playing indoors at our local Y as well as using the Y facilities for working out, getting in steps, potential swim lessons for her/freshening up my skills for me. I also am tracking things a lot better. I'm back to trying to wear my Fitbit Sense watch more often and am using a continuous glucose monitor to track my blood sugar levels more regularly as a type 2 diabetic.

Second, I do plan on trying to work on some technique stuff, namely in chipping the ball. If you haven't heard, I got a Smart Sole wedge and while results early were promising, it was too late in the season for real testing and learning. Luckily the golf dome at turning stone does have an indoor chipping area to potentially work on technique, so hopefully I can get out to that and work through the growing pains.

Lastly, I'd like to start some form of speed training. While getting into better general shape I believe will help me reclaim a touch of speed through increased flexibility and mobility, speed training also intrigues. I'm looking into the different products and programs to try and find a solid fit, right now it looks like Rypstick might be the play, but I continue to research... which will probably be my downfall because I'll do my typical over-research and then find faults with everything making me hesitant in pulling the trigger.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Good thread, and something I've been thinking about over the past few weeks as the season wound down. Some quick highlights that I may expand upon over in my work in progress thread:

• Physical fitness. Last season I put all of my energy into getting stronger and gaining weight. I never lost the "fluff" that came along with that over the summer, so this year my focus is to maintain the strength I gained while losing weight.
  • Putting - spending more time on my EXPUTT working on starting direction, club path and speed, especially for putts inside 15 feet.
  • Driving - Last winter I didn't hit my driver that much in my home bay, not because I can't, but because I focused a lot on irons. My goal this year is to practice driver more often as that is a weak spot of my game (especially compared to irons and short game).
  • Speed training/flexibility - I now have the Stack and Stick Mobility sticks that I am hoping to do three times per week.
  • Game situation training - instead of only hitting balls of the Flightscope range, I want to play 1-2 simulator rounds per week just to stay sharp with "game like" conditions.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Always a good question. Have had a fun childcare situation that had made practicing and working out more difficult. So with that situation resolving itself I am excited to practice some more this off season. So the goals are as follows,

• With swing speed training, move through the last 2 new stages of super speed protocols
  • Achieve swing speed pd of 116
  • Complete 2 strength workouts a week
  • Daily yoga practice
  • Continue the whole food plant based diet
  • Putting practice of 50 putts at least 2 days a week

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

My brother and I will continue to play, and get swings in as long as there is no snow on the ground here in N/E Ohio.  Aside from that I am going to become more dilligent stretching in the mornings to work on flexibility.  I am also this winter going to keep on working on my putting with my indoor mat.  I really noticed the difference on 0-6 footers with all the practice, going to continue to repeat my stroke, and build confidence on the shorter ones.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I'm going to work on my tempo. Really, maintaining consistent tempo throughout a round. My tempo tends to get fast at times. 

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5* Graphite design Tour_AD GP-6 Stiff :taylormade-small:

Titleist TSi2 15* Fairway wood Hazardous Smoke Black Stiff :titleist-small:

Titleist TSi2 18* Hybrid Hazardous Smoke Stiff :titleist-small:

Titleist TSi2 24* Hybrid Hazardous Smoke Stiff Titleist TSi2 21* :titleist-small:

Titleist T200 Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 5-PW :titleist-small:

Titleist SM 8 Wedges 50* 8 - 56* 14 - 60* 8 :titleist-small:

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport Putter :scotty-cameron-1:

Titleist Hybrid 14 Stand Bag :titleist-small:

WOW a lot of great things and a ton of different idea's to look into. I still haven't settled on my 2 other things. We had a putting green put in our back yard so how do I not get out there and work on putting, so I think that will be number 2 for me. Number one is my fitness, and not a whole pizza in gut. I'd like to drop 30 plus LBs and or drop my body fat%. 3rd I am leaning towards my wedge play and chipping. I'm thinking I can work on chipping in the back yard on the putting green. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

Unfortunately, I've reinjured my back a couple minor times late this season.  So the next couple months will be working on my fitness, focusing on rehab and strengthening my lower back and being able to rotate fully without fear of injury.  After that, my goal for next year, is to try and work my way down to a 10 hdcp, and biggest opportunities for improvement according to my shotscope data, are putting and approach play.

I don't have an area to do full swing practice at my house, so at home I'll be focusing on putting and non-full swing drills.  When I get a chance to head to the simulators here (about once or twice a week), I will be primarily working on consistency from 150yrds and in.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

Great thread……On the game side, We don’t have an off season in FLA, just Cool, Hot and Hotter. Heading in to the Cool season, gotta get used to playing with 1/4 zips and shorts.

My main issue right now is my club wants to raise rack rates to $70 for Sat/Sun for winter/spring, currently it is $40. My membership has gone up $100/month to $370.  Been thinking of “retiring” from the Saturday game as I have been running it for over 20 years.  Usually it takes me most of Monday to get the worksheets updated and then continuous updates thru Friday to set the Tee Sheet for each week. (40-50 players).  The sad part of this is losing the social aspect as I have been playing with these guys for most of 20 years.  Plantation Palms is my 3 rd club for the Saturday game.  I have been looking for someone to take over. I have three other Directors that take turns running the game on Saturday but I still have to do the updates, whether I am home or 9; vacay as they do not have the excel skills to keep it up.

As for my game, I have an indoor putting mat that I use frequently, but that is not a weakness. My weakness is my swing getting the ball in the air.  Currently I have a tendency to hit about an inch behind the ball for my approach shots so have been working on concentrating to hit back of the ball. With dry eye syndrome it is difficult to focus in the mornings.

Things will work out, just frustrated at the moment.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Similar to Foz above, my golf season just get's a bit cooler in the winter months (one of the few things I really like about living in South Texas.).  So I'm fortunate to be able to play through most of the winter - aside from the occasional tropical storm and 100 year freeze (why have all the 100 year events seem to be happening every few years these day????).  

Last season, I was ready to work hard on my game as I entered the December/January/February timeframe... but I had a stress fracture in my rib that put me on the bench for the better part of 10 weeks.  My wife can tell you exactly how many days it was... because I kept reminding her.  I have never seen her so happy that I was able to go to the course again.  

This winter, I am going to try to improve my golf strength, which will hopefully allow me to fight off the effects of old man time, and possibly even find a little more horsepower in my swing.  I'm not sure I want to go full in on speed training, but maybe light speed training with the Rypstick.... but if I know me at all... if I see some results.. I'll dive in headlong.  I just don't want to do more damage than good by an aggressive speed training protocol.  

If I pick one area to dedicate my time to in my game... it will be 100 yards in.  Pitching, chipping and putting... I'm not breaking new ground by saying I can save more strokes per round by having a solid game 100 in.  

The last thing I will mention, and possibly the most important, is changing my mental approach.  Focusing on the right things, spending time to improve my game, but realizing... it is a game, and to truly enjoy the experience... no matter what the scorecard says.   That is the biggest lift for me.  

I look to the following post for motivation... you should too 🙂 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Similar to Foz above, my golf season just get's a bit cooler in the winter months (one of the few things I really like about living in South Texas.).  So I'm fortunate to be able to play through most of the winter - aside from the occasional tropical storm and 100 year freeze (why have all the 100 year events seem to be happening every few years these day????).  

Last season, I was ready to work hard on my game as I entered the December/January/February timeframe... but I had a stress fracture in my rib that put me on the bench for the better part of 10 weeks.  My wife can tell you exactly how many days it was... because I kept reminding her.  I have never seen her so happy that I was able to go to the course again.  

This winter, I am going to try to improve my golf strength, which will hopefully allow me to fight off the effects of old man time, and possibly even find a little more horsepower in my swing.  I'm not sure I want to go full in on speed training, but maybe light speed training with the Rypstick.... but if I know me at all... if I see some results.. I'll dive in headlong.  I just don't want to do more damage than good by an aggressive speed training protocol.  

If I pick one area to dedicate my time to in my game... it will be 100 yards in.  Pitching, chipping and putting... I'm not breaking new ground by saying I can save more strokes per round by having a solid game 100 in.  

The last thing I will mention, and possibly the most important, is changing my mental approach.  Focusing on the right things, spending time to improve my game, but realizing... it is a game, and to truly enjoy the experience... no matter what the scorecard says.   That is the biggest lift for me.  

I look to the following post for motivation... you should too 🙂 

Hell yeah, TCB! Those are some great goals.

I've got my books open if you're looking for some coaching on the mental side of the game.

Goal to cruise at 160 MPH ball speed next season peaking to 165 MPH. Trying to leverage some of these concepts/techniques along with weight training and the Stack System

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

15 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Goal to cruise at 160 MPH ball speed next season peaking to 165 MPH. Trying to leverage some of these concepts/techniques along with weight training and the Stack System

Mine is similar in getting a swing speed high enough to basically hit these speed, just won't be able to hit a ball for a while once the snow falls, as you know. I also have enjoyed watching what Mark Crossfield is working on with his force plates, not that I have those, but cover many of the same things. And heck if he can get faster being a bit older, almost hitting 170 ball speed, why not us too right.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

Mine is similar in getting a swing speed high enough to basically hit these speed, just won't be able to hit a ball for a while once the snow falls, as you know. I also have enjoyed watching what Mark Crossfield is working on with his force plates, not that I have those, but cover many of the same things. And heck if he can get faster being a bit older, almost hitting 170 ball speed, why not us too right.

Some of those guys definitely highlight that I should be above 150 MPH ball speed. If you are deadlifting less than 300 lbs and squatting less than 200, there is gym work to do gaining speed without a golf club. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

Some of those guys definitely highlight that I should be above 150 MPH ball speed. If you are deadlifting less than 300 lbs and squatting less than 200, there is gym work to do gaining speed without a golf club. 

Ya, i am on track to be deadlifting way above 300 and close to 250 on squats with a large range of motion. I can short squat that already for 5-8 reps. 

My Reviews:

Going to a gym for the first time this winter.  Just found out I get free gym membership and instruction through my health coverage so off I go for resistance training and light, very light, weight work, or whatever they suggest after I inform them what my goals are.     Other than that will work on driver, pitch, and punch shots when time allows.  

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

6 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Can’t believe it took me this long to watch. Will definitely be trying to implement this into my training. Especially the waggle work. 

My Reviews:

Love this thread! I'll most likely spend most of my time on strength training and sequencing. Pretty happy with my game overall for how much I practice and play, but I still struggle to make a proper turn with my hips and extend my arms through the shot (a lot of flipping still). I manage it all okay as I still have forward shaft lean and hands in front of the club head at impact, but just knowing it's not as good as it could be drives me nuts - makes me feel like I'm still leaving a lot on the table. So... that's my primary goal and then I just need to get in shape again. Been struggling on and off for years and just kind of fed up with myself for not making more of a commitment.

We'll see how it goes. I've got my Spornia net from testing in '21 and just finished cleaning up the garage so I can set it up whenever. Only issue there is I'm severely limited with what clubs I can hit. I also purchased some foam balls after giving myself a good scare so the back patio is an option again (still limited on what clubs I can use). I'll probably utilize the practice area and mastery course (3-hole practice course) at Tierra Verde this winter as well. Speaking of, I might see if the wife will let me head that way now! lol

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Where do I start? Since there isn't really any off season here, I'm going to try to use the cooler weather we get during the winter to walk more often when I play. Even though cart is included with the price I pay for the round, I enjoy walking the course more so as long as it won't be a huge issue with the course, I will probably do more walking. I refuse to walk the course during the summer when it's 115+.

I've already talked to my trainer about going from 3 resistance workouts to 4 a week, so hopefully can gain some there. I'm down a little over 60 pounds from last year but now I want to start building some more muscle. I know there are some speed gains available there. 

Planning on dedicating time for the super speed training this winter. I need to actually focus on doing it the proper way this time though. Last time I mainly went for pure speed numbers and it completely threw off my sequencing and timing. I need to focus on keeping my swing how it is, just adding in the extra speed. Hopefully it will help translate to the driver. It's been mentioned in my last two fittings that my driver swing speed isn't matching up with my iron swing speeds. I know it's a sequencing and comfort thing, so I need to work on those more. 

Majority of my practice time I want to spend on the putting green and short game areas. While putting isn't exactly a weakness for me, it's still an easy place for me to drop a few shots a round. Short game mainly because those 30-60 yard shots have been giving me issues. I haven't been playing often enough to get the right feel for them, so it would be nice to see those shots getting closer than 40 feet. Hopefully I can make my life a little easier on the greens. 

Full swing work will continue, but will not be the majority of my time. I'm at a place with that where I have a few key feelings that work to tie things together pretty nicely and I can make corrections based on those. 

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 4 w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6- 
3 Wood: PXG 0341XF Gen 4 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70g
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Spornia SPG-7 hitting net review
2023 Titleist White Box ProV1 review