TESTERS WANTED! ×

what are you working on this off Season

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah the ott move is subtle for some and more pronounced for others. Could be something relatively simple to fix or something that requires a little more work to get the club on the right spot

Interesting coincidence, I was just watching the Golf Central Pregame show, and Brandel Chamblee was just breaking down Matthew Fitzpatrick's golf swing and comparing it to Sam Snead, Bobby Jones, Bruce Lietzke ... all with a swing that takes it inside going back and has a subtle over the top move in the transition... and tracing the swing path on screen.  It was exactly what I am describing above...   timely, and maybe a reminder that swings come in different shapes and sizes 🙂  As referenced above, some of the best ball strikers to ever play the game didn't find "the slot" in their down swing.  

Gotta love this game!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Not the best video, but a few swing from a few weeks ago... sorry about mess in my carport, and the shaky camera work from my camera man 🙂.  Many things to work on in the offseason, including that spare tire I started carrying this late season.  

I’ll send some screenshots and what I see along with some recommendations later this afternoon. Do you have a face on showing your grip.

Quickly tho some setup changes are going to help and for sure the two stick drills will too

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Question... what is an "off season"? 😊

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Question... what is an "off season"? 😊

That is when the courses in your neck of the woods get REALLY busy!!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
3 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Not the best video, but a few swing from a few weeks ago... sorry about mess in my carport, and the shaky camera work from my camera man 🙂.  Many things to work on in the offseason, including that spare tire I started carrying this late season.  

I’ll start with setup. You need some knee flex and a little bit of your backside behind your for better balance points. Stand against a wall with your heels touching it then move 2” away from the wall. Do a crunch then push your backside back til it touches the wall. That is going to be your setup for every club. 

now we will into what I see in the swing. Picture you your takeaway is more arms than body driven and you start to roll the club open and bend your trail elbow. This is going to get the club starting too much behind you as we see in pic 2, also as a result you have a cupped left wrist when it should be flat to slightly bowed and your elbow is bent more than it should be and as mentioned getting behind you. The two drills I gave will help with this especially the second one. We want the trail arm to that pretty straight unto the lead arm is parallel, there it’s only going to be slightly bent and that’s very slightly.

What we see in pic 3 is a trail elbow that’s bent more than 90° and this comes from everything above. What we also see is very little actual turn and instead your left hip kicks out instead of your right hip moving back and around. This is what is usually referred to as a false turn.

As a result of all this is why you get the ott move. You end up having to pull the shaft and get the club out front so it becomes steep in transition as we see in pic 4. As a result you are going to have to find ways to shallow the club. Usually people will dip the right shoulder to do this or what you do is snappy way later in the continued over the top move and then bend and stall late as we see in pic 5 with the club way outside and you are very square with the hips and still standing pretty tall. This is why you aren’t rotating and if you tried you would be in a position to not hit the ball.

So what we see in pic 6 is you finally bending a little and throwing your hands at the ball. If you time this right you will get the center shots you mentioned and if not then the toe shots and depending on where the face is the different directions of the ball flight 

5F112518-618A-472B-B3E3-6ECC4980476F.jpeg

BEFD43FA-2B87-46C3-82C0-1159CC6A1C32.jpeg

4EDDE2CC-C75C-436C-B866-8EE8EED9A2C4.jpeg

43BB6826-C25D-40FF-8963-97BBC92F6D16.jpeg

AEBC784A-0928-4FD1-949F-03C4B350A125.jpeg

76EADB01-AE8B-4162-BE03-2AD445EB5A0C.jpeg

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I would be bouncing balls all over from those bricks!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll start with setup. You need some knee flex and a little bit of your backside behind your for better balance points. Stand against a wall with your heels touching it then move 2” away from the wall. Do a crunch then push your backside back til it touches the wall. That is going to be your setup for every club. 

now we will into what I see in the swing. Picture you your takeaway is more arms than body driven and you start to roll the club open and bend your trail elbow. This is going to get the club starting too much behind you as we see in pic 2, also as a result you have a cupped left wrist when it should be flat to slightly bowed and your elbow is bent more than it should be and as mentioned getting behind you. The two drills I gave will help with this especially the second one. We want the trail arm to that pretty straight unto the lead arm is parallel, there it’s only going to be slightly bent and that’s very slightly.

What we see in pic 3 is a trail elbow that’s bent more than 90° and this comes from everything above. What we also see is very little actual turn and instead your left hip kicks out instead of your right hip moving back and around. This is what is usually referred to as a false turn.

As a result of all this is why you get the ott move. You end up having to pull the shaft and get the club out front so it becomes steep in transition as we see in pic 4. As a result you are going to have to find ways to shallow the club. Usually people will dip the right shoulder to do this or what you do is snappy way later in the continued over the top move and then bend and stall late as we see in pic 5 with the club way outside and you are very square with the hips and still standing pretty tall. This is why you aren’t rotating and if you tried you would be in a position to not hit the ball.

So what we see in pic 6 is you finally bending a little and throwing your hands at the ball. If you time this right you will get the center shots you mentioned and if not then the toe shots and depending on where the face is the different directions of the ball flight 

5F112518-618A-472B-B3E3-6ECC4980476F.jpeg

BEFD43FA-2B87-46C3-82C0-1159CC6A1C32.jpeg

4EDDE2CC-C75C-436C-B866-8EE8EED9A2C4.jpeg

43BB6826-C25D-40FF-8963-97BBC92F6D16.jpeg

AEBC784A-0928-4FD1-949F-03C4B350A125.jpeg

76EADB01-AE8B-4162-BE03-2AD445EB5A0C.jpeg

Great review RB, thanks for taking the time to break that down.  Definitely see what you are saying with my cause and effect positions... and I appreciate the tips and drills to help put me into better positions!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
4 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Great review RB, thanks for taking the time to break that down.  Definitely see what you are saying with my cause and effect positions... and I appreciate the tips and drills to help put me into better positions!

Anytime. There are different schools of thought on the takeaway. One piece vs not. Monte isn’t an advocate for the one piece.

here is a good video for practicing the takeaway. If the takeaway is off the rest of the swing isn’t going to be good. The swing in terms of time is 1/2 over at lead arm parallel and there’s only .5 seconds left in the swing from there before impact. Getting to lead arm parallel in a good spot is critical and where most practice shots should be hit from

5 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Lots to like here, sounds like you're getting onto the ball solidly from where you are with equally good motion freedom which is a quality many have a hard time with so I would tread somewhat lightly if considering wandering afar from where your current action resides. 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 11/17/2022 at 12:11 PM, Bosox04 said:

I hope your surgery went well! I had a small tear repaired, bicep tendon anchored at a different point, and a bone spur cleaned up. I took two pain pills the day after, and have been pain free since. Had my first follow up visit yesterday, and I will be sling free on the29th, and start PT on the 30th. So far, everything is good. Hope your experience is as good.

That is an awesome report.  The pain hasn't been bad, but it is just very uncomfortable wearing the sling.  I have my follow up appointment in 10 days.  The doctor said the rotator cuff tendon was very thin and believes it did not heal properly from a previous surgery in 2016.  Hope you have a speedy recovery and back to swinging a golf club.  I am hoping to be back on the course by March.  

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

On 11/19/2022 at 10:00 AM, David Leighton Reid said:

That is an awesome report.  The pain hasn't been bad, but it is just very uncomfortable wearing the sling.  I have my follow up appointment in 10 days.  The doctor said the rotator cuff tendon was very thin and believes it did not heal properly from a previous surgery in 2016.  Hope you have a speedy recovery and back to swinging a golf club.  I am hoping to be back on the course by March.  

I need to report that following my shoulder surgery on Nov 8, I followed up with an emergency appendectomy yesterday. The appendicitis was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. I’m supposed to start pt for my shoulder Nov 30, but I have some restrictions from yesterday’s procedure.Hope it doesn’t set me back too much. We have easily met our insurance deductible this year!

42 minutes ago, Bosox04 said:

I need to report that following my shoulder surgery on Nov 8, I followed up with an emergency appendectomy yesterday. The appendicitis was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. I’m supposed to start pt for my shoulder Nov 30, but I have some restrictions from yesterday’s procedure.Hope it doesn’t set me back too much. We have easily met our insurance deductible this year!

Sorry to hear of your emergency appendectomy.  I am either lucky or unlucky, but I have met my maximum out-of-pocket for the year,  This is day 6 since my surgery and the pain is minimal...as long as I don't move my shoulder or hit it on something.  The big issue for me is just being very uncomfortable and not being able to sleep well.  My post surgery appointment has been moved to Dec. 6th and therapy will start after that.  

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Going to go for a couple lessons in January. My December is too busy to even get to the range so I'll take some time off and look to come back strong in January. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Working on flighting the ball down/playing more bump and run shots around the green. The winter golf combination of losing distance in high winds + seeing approach shots hit frozen greens and bounce off the back made me realize that I have a good opportunity to work on shots I don't usually play and am less comfortable with. 

Edited by APFA2315

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5*

5 Wood: TaylorMade Burner 18*

3h/4h: Adams IdeaTech A4 19*/22*

Irons: Cobra Forged Tec (5-P)

Wedges: Cobra Forged Tec 50*, Vokey SM7 M Grind 54*/60*

Putter: $1 GolfWorks ACS-9

1 hour ago, APFA2315 said:

Working on flighting the ball down/playing more bump and run shots around the green. The winter golf combination of losing distance in high winds + seeing approach shots hit frozen greens and bounce off the back made me realize that I have a good opportunity to work on shots I don't usually play and am less comfortable with. 

Watch how the old guys play.  We have that shot, because that's our standard!  😆

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not so much working, but I dug up a golf book called Playing without Fear that I'm going to give a read. I think it could be a good time to also work on the mental side of the game. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...

Played a five hole loop today. The first time playing after shoulder surgery on Nov 8, and it was pretty ugly. I have lost a ton of distance. My range of movement is fairly good, but I have a long way to go to regain my strength. The move from stiff shafts to regular is probably coming. My chipping and putting was very good, and full swing contact was solid, but getting my distance back is going to be a challenge. Should be an interesting year.

• 2 weeks later...

So i am almost 60 straight days with headspace meditation and it feels like it is making a difference. I hope it does the same for my golf attitude

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Sadly.... I'm working on work.  My "off season" (which is really the BEST Golf Season in Houston) has been spent behind my computer screen.  So much for all the improvements I was going to make to my game over the winter... 😕 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
6 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Sadly.... I'm working on work.  My "off season" (which is really the BEST Golf Season in Houston) has been spent behind my computer screen.  So much for all the improvements I was going to make to my game over the winter... 😕 

you still can! I have been super busy too but find time here and there. Gym early in the morning 3x a week. Meditation right away in the morning and then a mobility warm up. Then get a short club or something for your office so you can work on swing feels between meetings.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

12 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

you still can! I have been super busy too but find time here and there. Gym early in the morning 3x a week. Meditation right away in the morning and then a mobility warm up. Then get a short club or something for your office so you can work on swing feels between meetings.

Thanks for the motivation VG!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Continue working on the No Turn Cast as I have a clinic with Monte in the Summer (Chicago if anyone is interested). Also trying to incorporate the shallowing feel that AMG posted last week which seems to go along with the No Turn Cast theory of how to get the club in a good position on the downswing AND debunks (at least for me) this myth of "passive arms with active body turn" as a way to shallow the club. If anyone is interested and wants to go down a shallowing rabbit hole (do so at your own risk) search youtube for "AMG Shallowing Like you've never seen before"

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Since it is cold for at least the next week or so I'm doing some putting training and trying to see what putter will end up being my gamer. 

I know my putting is really a strong point, but I really want to take it to a new level. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Working on better shoulder and hip rotation vs being too arm-sy.  Last year was a frustrating year for being too arm-sy.  Also eliminating excess sway is also something I am working on as well.  

Getting LM and Sim time with a coach to get better swing mechanics while there is snow on the ground.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work fellas keep it up. 

Update from me. Was doing ok started a 75 hard reset and was doing ok lost a few Lbs and my swing was feeling ok. Them on a warm up at the gym in mid Jan just doing a body weight squat my back threw a zinger down my glute into the back of and down my leg. It didn't hurt which was good I think, but my back tightened right up. the next morning it was hard to walk but loosened up enough to work.

Well here we are approx 6 weeks later and I feel like I might be able to try working out on a beginner basis. Nothing heavy nothing that feels odd.  

I did hit balls at the range once and paid for it nd then played in a Super Bowl Scramble & paid for it. Took a cart instead of walked and passed on hitting some shots when my teammates hit something I knew I couldn't. 

Needless to say, I am jonesing to get tot he gym and hit some golf balls. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter