TESTERS WANTED! ×

First ever fitting

Had my first fitting today - what an experience! Went to Pat Ryan Golf in Plymouth, MN, and was fitted by Tom Cook, Jr (it's a family business). According to their website he's a certified Class A club maker...it sounded impressive.

Brought my Hogan Apex Plus irons (ebay, $75) and my Ping G-15's (golf shop, $500) - told him I liked hitting the Hogan's better so he didn't let me hit the Pings. I have a handicap index of 11.5 (up from 9 two years ago -- lost 60 lbs last year and lost my swing along with it!) Hit a lot of different heads with different shafts and he came up with the following recommendations:

Std length

Lie angle: 61 (7 iron)

Loft: 34

Shaft Flex: S-100

Shaft Flex point: High

Shaft model/Design: Dynamic Gold or Rifle

Head design: Cavity back players

Swing weight D-6

Told me the Ping ATW A-400 shaft was standard or borderline senior flex..combined with the mid/low flex point and offset he said it's no surprise I was pulling stuff left and hitting it very, very high. The Hogan's were a much better club for me (Apex 4 shaft) and he can bring them closer to what I need. Will most likely do that and have them as a good 2nd set.

He also showed me some options for custom-built sticks (he's a Miura dealer, but they're just not in the budget -- crap!).

MDC Tour irons -- either chrome or black - they're a blade and look very nice - cast, not forged. Tom said with the right shaft, etc, I'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a forged head. Hit it with the DG shaft -- felt great.

Louisville Golf Persimmon Blade 304 -- really nice looking cast blade - about $10 more expensive per club than the MDC

Alpha C1 Pro Forged -- also really nice looking club, obviously forged, player's cavity back -- a little over $100/club with the Rifle shaft.

Also checking out the Wilson FG Tour V2's in two weeks at a Golf Galaxy fitting -- Tom said if I order them to my specs to bring them to him before hitting them just to make sure - says he almost always has to make adjustments to most major name custom-made clubs.

Personally, I like hitting the Rifle Shaft the best -- amazing how with the wrong lie, shaft, etc I was hitting pretty consistently off the toe. With the two setups I hit that were properly setup -- the MDC tour blade and the C! Pro Forged -- I was hitting consistently in the sweet spot. Now if I can get back to inside-out instead of outside in, then we'll have something!

Biggest advantage to GG would be easy trade in on my Ping's to help bring the cost down.

Overall it was a great experience -- Tom was a lot of fun, shared some funny stories and made the whole process a lot of fun. Highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys gold and wants to feel good about their equipment. And you don't have to be a low-handicapper, either. As I was leaving a father-son duo came in - the dad was getting his 11 year old fitted!

And the little **#@ had a nice inside-out swing!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Glad to hear you went and got fit Barbajo. Now we just need to convince everyone else ;)

Keep us updated on how the changes go.

#TruthDigest

Glad to hear you went and got fit Barbajo. Now we just need to convince everyone else ;)

Keep us updated on how the changes go.

+1 on that

Also, I see that you listed a few different blade models then talked about W/S FG Tour V2... If you are looking for a blade I highly recommend trying the Wilson FG62s have almost as soft as a feel as the Mizuno Blades, it was pretty hard for me to tell the difference even on slightly off center hits on the Mizuno MP69 vs to W/S FG62. W/S FG Tour V2 is a good players cavity that would give you slightly better forgiveness then the FG62 has to offer.

It is pretty hard to find the offset specs on Wilson clubs but here is the FG62 specs that I found online awhile back.

club loft  lie     offset    length      bounce
3    21    59.5    0.095"    39.25"      4.5
4    24    60.0    0.092"    38.75"      5.0
5    27    61.0    0.089"    38.25"      5.5
6    31    61.5    0.086"    37.75"      6.0
7    35    62.0    0.083"    37.25"      6.5
8    39    63.0    0.080"    36.75"      7.0
9    43    63.5    0.077"    36.25"      7.5
P    47    64.0    0.074"    35.75"      8.0

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

[quote name='jmiller065' date='01 March 2012 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1330625284' post='52750']
+1 on that

Also, I see that you listed a few different blade models then talked about W/S FG Tour V2... If you are looking for a blade I highly recommend trying the Wilson FG62s have almost as soft as a feel as the Mizuno Blades, it was pretty hard for me to tell the difference even on slightly off center hits on the Mizuno MP69 vs to W/S FG62. W/S FG Tour V2 is a good players cavity that would give you slightly better forgiveness then the FG62 has to offer.

It is pretty hard to find the offset specs on Wilson clubs but here is the FG62 specs that I found online awhile back.
[code]
club loft  lie     offset    length      bounce
3    21    59.5    0.095"    39.25"      4.5
4    24    60.0    0.092"    38.75"      5.0
5    27    61.0    0.089"    38.25"      5.5
6    31    61.5    0.086"    37.75"      6.0
7    35    62.0    0.083"    37.25"      6.5
8    39    63.0    0.080"    36.75"      7.0
9    43    63.5    0.077"    36.25"      7.5
P    47    64.0    0.074"    35.75"      8.0

[/code]

Thanks -- will take a gander at the FG 62's. Found that Wilson offers the DG shaft at an up charge, but not the Rifle. Will have to see how the V2's compare to the 62's -- got some time to get the swing grooved a bit. Thanks for the input!

BTW -- anyone have any experience with Alpha or Louisville? Still battling with the name brand vs. non-name brand - are they cheap knock-offs or good, sound products? They sure felt nice...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived