Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How often do you replace your irons?

HAC

I read something that suggested it should be every 300 rounds because grooves get worn after that. I have never replaced irons that quickly. Of course, since I retired, I am now playing a lot more, but for me that would every four years ago or so.  Thoughts?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

I just replaced mine this season and had my Ping i210 from 2018 and that was probably around 400 rounds. That being said they were still in great condition and more than usable or fine (cast vs forged), however I wanted to change things up. Previously I had a set if Ping iE1 which were a couple years old. I would say around 3-4 years on average. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've had my current set for over 3 years now, which is the longest I've had a set of irons in about 10 years.

I was fit for my irons by True Spec in June 2019 and they fit my like a glove.  I don't play or practice often enough to have worn the faces so they are still in the bag.

I plan on getting my next set of irons in Summer of 2024 for my 40th birthday.  Will be fit again and will likely go with graphite shafts.

11 hours ago, HAC said:

I read something that suggested it should be every 300 rounds because grooves get worn after that. I have never replaced irons that quickly. Of course, since I retired, I am now playing a lot more, but for me that would every four years ago or so.  Thoughts?

To help answer the second part of your question, I wouldn't be concerned with any sort of numbers.  Focus on the performance.  Have your noticed a change in distance control?  Have you been getting more fliers that jump off the face with less spin?  That is when you should look at a new set, as those are telltale signs of your grooves wearing.

One way to double check is to book a fitting or get some time on a GC2 or GCQuad.  Hit your irons and take a look at the numbers and look at launch and spin deviation from shot to shot.  Then, hit a newer iron and see if that spin/launch is tighter.  If there is a noticeable difference, it is time for new irons.

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

To help answer the second part of your question, I wouldn't be concerned with any sort of numbers.  Focus on the performance.  Have your noticed a change in distance control?  Have you been getting more fliers that jump off the face with less spin?  That is when you should look at a new set, as those are telltale signs of your grooves wearing.

One way to double check is to book a fitting or get some time on a GC2 or GCQuad.  Hit your irons and take a look at the numbers and look at launch and spin deviation from shot to shot.  Then, hit a newer iron and see if that spin/launch is tighter.  If there is a noticeable difference, it is time for new irons.

+1, sounds like good advice. For a higher swing speed player who relies on higher trajectory/descent angles and spin to stop approach shots on a dime, worn grooves will be an issue eventually.

However, the OP stated he's retired. So OTOH, I know several very good older players who have 10-15 year old irons, but they launch low and rely on landing short and releasing on approach shots and greenside shots - perfectly serviceable 90% of the time.

"300 rounds" or some generic guidance isn't necessarily useful.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

13 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I plan to ask one of pros at by club to look at the grooves and give me their thoughts. But, I want to get additional views and yours are quite helpful.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat

2 minutes ago, HAC said:

I plan to ask one of pros at by club to look at the grooves and give me their thoughts. But, I want to get additional views and yours are quite helpful.

Glad I could help.

Here are some youtube videos that could be of assistance, too

Wedges, even more so than irons, are subject to wear due to the variety of crappy lies you use the from (sand, waste area, etc).  Here is video that shows the differences between worn and new wedges.  Different clubs, but same type of conclusions could be made about irons:

• 3 weeks later...

I would usually say once per year, but I've been hung up on Ping S55's for longer than I care to mention. I've bought and tried other sets and the S55s aren't the longest at all, but they are so predictable, This is actually my first every Ping iron set, but it has me considering their newer models for sure. The 210's look like a boat on the bottom to me with the sole width and I'm way too cheap for the 230's at least for a few years so the S55's may last at least 5 years. 

53 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I would usually say once per year, but I've been hung up on Ping S55's for longer than I care to mention. I've bought and tried other sets and the S55s aren't the longest at all, but they are so predictable, This is actually my first every Ping iron set, but it has me considering their newer models for sure. The 210's look like a boat on the bottom to me with the sole width and I'm way too cheap for the 230's at least for a few years so the S55's may last at least 5 years. 

I think this also has something to do with Pings irons being cast vs forged. The i210's I had were used for a good 5 years and hundreds of rounds, but looked in near new condition still. Forged irons seem to show and wear their nicks a lot sooner so for those who like their clubs looking brand new well it can show both ways...

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think this also has something to do with Pings irons being cast vs forged. The i210's I had were used for a good 5 years and hundreds of rounds, but looked in near new condition still. Forged irons seem to show and wear their nicks a lot sooner so for those who like their clubs looking brand new well it can show both ways...

Very true, my S55s look great. They have a wear spot showing in the area around the sweet spot but nothing at all like a forged iron would show. 

I’ve had my current irons for three seasons, and replaced the shafts at the end of last season. If they are working, why change?  I’m not looking for length but accuracy and better contact. It’s my swing that needs fixing. 

After reading the MGS article I sharpened the grooves on my Gap and Pitching wedge. Extend their life a bit. 

All that said, those Cobra forged Tec were very tempting. If they ever release another Black forged Tec that may do it for me. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I would like to say I replace them when I see a performance drop off in spin/distance.  But in reality, my swing is not consistent enough to be super confident that I'm not the reason for the change in numbers.  In reality, I replace them whenever I see something new and shiny and I can't stop myself.... which sadly is waaay more often than I actually should.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

13 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

When is it time to replace your irons?

..when they misbehave, become oppositional-defiant and no longer respect your authority ... 🤪

So, after every round????

On 10/18/2022 at 9:07 AM, Middler said:

I know several very good older players who have 10-15 year old irons,

I play with guys with G15's and they'll outplay me any day of the week. My Speedzones are 3 + years old, I play at least 150 rounds a year and they look brand new. My wedges , especially SW and LW are replaced about every 2 years. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, gmmiddle said:

I replace every time one ends up in the water, or deep in the woods. 

I slipped an old club into one of my playing partner's bags a couple of months ago.  Waited until I'd hit a bad shot, dunked one in the middle of a rather large pond via a shank.  Asked my buddy if it was ok with him if I borrowed his pitching wedge.  He said, "be my guest".  Grabbed the club I'd planted in his bag and did something akin to a shot putter's spin, launching the club on a beautiful arc where it splashed into the pond very near where my shot had come to rest.

The look on his face was absolutely priceless...  I waited a minute and as his look of amazement started to turn to something darker I suggested he count his clubs...

(And lest anyone worry about my polluting the pond, it was one that was being drained for some work the following week.)

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I played with a set of Mizuno MP H4 forged irons for 6 years.  For the past 2 years I have owned a set of PXG 0211 irons with graphite shafts and this year I purchased a set of PXG Gen 3 0311 irons with steel shafts.  I do not plan on replacing either set any time soon.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

On 11/8/2022 at 9:10 AM, Bobbers said:

I slipped an old club into one of my playing partner's bags a couple of months ago.  Waited until I'd hit a bad shot, dunked one in the middle of a rather large pond via a shank.  Asked my buddy if it was ok with him if I borrowed his pitching wedge.  He said, "be my guest".  Grabbed the club I'd planted in his bag and did something akin to a shot putter's spin, launching the club on a beautiful arc where it splashed into the pond very near where my shot had come to rest.

The look on his face was absolutely priceless...  I waited a minute and as his look of amazement started to turn to something darker I suggested he count his clubs...

(And lest anyone worry about my polluting the pond, it was one that was being drained for some work the following week.)

This is next-level pranking. I'm very, very pleased with this story 🙂 Well done.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 11/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, cksurfdude said:

When is it time to replace your irons?

..when they misbehave, become oppositional-defiant and no longer respect your authority ... 🤪

I usually put my clubs in a closet when they misbehave so they can think about what they’ve done…

More seriously though, I’ll consider replacing irons when they no longer fit my game. For example, in a perfect world, I’m still hitting my Mizuno MP-62s. But I don’t have the time to play or practice as much as I used to, so I bought a set of more forgiving irons to keep the game enjoyable. 

I depends on several things but I try to keep irons for around 400 to 500 rounds before I replace them.  My last set had 468 rounds on them.  Wedges about every other year. 

Edited by CrazyGolfNut
  • Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I replace them whenever I find a crazy good deal that my GAS doesn't allow me to pass up.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 4 weeks later...

I should probably recuse myself from this topic 😬

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think you're the left candidate for this topic. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I have a set of Miura's that are probably 8 years old, I have been seriously thinking about changing them for the past year or so. The process I am going to go through is, get fitted for the proper shafts for my swing speed to achieve the carry numbers I want, then find the heads that achieve those numbers, then look for the best price. I only need 5-pw so shouldn't be too expensive. 

committed to performance excellence

This upcoming season will be 20 years on a set of Cleveland TA7's...... 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

2 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

This upcoming season will be 20 years on a set of Cleveland TA7's...... 

To be fair to my irons though, they have been reshafted with Project X Rifle 6.0. I was fitted to for T200's in September and my irons actually performed similarly other than a distance gain from the T200. I'm going to drop my 5,6,7 out of my bag and have those shafts out into my lower irons at my custom length with new grips. I just sharpened the grooves last week. When they work, they work I guess hahah. 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

15 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

... I think we all know you only replace your irons when new irons are released. Sometimes before. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x