TESTERS WANTED! ×

How often do you replace your irons?

HAC

24 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

This upcoming season will be 20 years on a set of Cleveland TA7's...... 

IMO, great irons.   I played the TA7 Tours for a long time and shouldn't have stopped using them.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

IMO, great irons.   I played the TA7 Tours for a long time and shouldn't have stopped using them.  

There was a time in the early 2000's when Cleveland was making really good clubs. They also had some.toir presence back then too, Vijay Singh anybody?!?!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

15 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

There was a time in the early 2000's when Cleveland was making really good clubs. They also had some.toir presence back then too, Vijay Singh anybody?!?!

... TA1 Form Forged MB's were amazing but ignored by some because they weren't a true forging. I also think the 588TT's should be in the Iron Hall Of Fame as they combined the very best attributes of a GI and a Players Iron into one head. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

@chisag I completely agree about the TA1. Those were really special back then, they were just a lot more money at the time. At my local course, Cleveland is an extremely popular option in the pro shop as most of the golfers, well the population of Penticton in general, is over the age of 65. It seems like their Huntington Beach putter line is going to become quite prominent but doesn't compare to my Scotty that replaced it. I wouldn't say they put as much money into R&D as the big 4 as my new SM8 vokeys are not in the same league as the 588 RTX wedges they replaced. The same is for the launcher driver I broke in may, it just doesn't quite match up my Callaway driver. BUT, I have a Halo Hybrid Gen 1 and it is the most reliable club I've ever owned. I have a sweet spot for Cleveland bit it is hard to send them in the field.

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

23 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

@chisag I completely agree about the TA1. Those were really special back then, they were just a lot more money at the time. At my local course, Cleveland is an extremely popular option in the pro shop as most of the golfers, well the population of Penticton in general, is over the age of 65. It seems like their Huntington Beach putter line is going to become quite prominent but doesn't compare to my Scotty that replaced it. I wouldn't say they put as much money into R&D as the big 4 as my new SM8 vokeys are not in the same league as the 588 RTX wedges they replaced. The same is for the launcher driver I broke in may, it just doesn't quite match up my Callaway driver. BUT, I have a Halo Hybrid Gen 1 and it is the most reliable club I've ever owned. I have a sweet spot for Cleveland bit it is hard to send them in the field.

... I am always amazed at OEMs that replace a popular clubs. AP2/TS100 are the best example of not changing for the sake of change. Cleveland should never have replaced the TA7 or the 588 series, just improved them. They of course will always be credited with bringing out the first stock after market Fujikura shaft in the Launcher 400. The launcher fairway woods were used by so many before moving to odd shapes and graphics on the crown. Brought out the Hi-Bore when it wasn't ready and suffered from excessive spin. Just one miss step after another. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am always amazed at OEMs that replace a popular clubs. AP2/TS100 are the best example of not changing for the sake of change. Cleveland should never have replaced the TA7 or the 588 series, just improved them. They of course will always be credited with bringing out the first stock after market Fujikura shaft in the Launcher 400. The launcher fairway woods were used by so many before moving to odd shapes and graphics on the crown. Brought out the Hi-Bore when it wasn't ready and suffered from excessive spin. Just one miss step after another. 

Couldn't say it better myself. They are the perfect example to the other companies that those choices have terrible consequences for a serious amount of their future. You think about it, Cleveland almost needed 2 decades to right that ship. Callaway IMO skirted that edge a ways back when Taylor made first disrupted the industry. But they pulled it in, with the acquisition of Odyssey, then when they sold top flite and Ben Hogan, got a hold of OGIO and Travis Matthew. But TM, Titleist, Cobra, and Callaway have incredible marketing departments now. TM actually never had a bad one. 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

While I don't think the Sub70 are in real danger of being knocked out of the bag I am super excited to have a set of Ping i e1 irons again. They will certainly get a shot to go back in the bag even if I may even look at the i230. Just something about Ping irons that I love. 

I don't often replace my irons, but I can now fully admit I go through phases where I have a few sets that go in and out till I settle in on one. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I just replaced my 2010 Callaway Xforged  this year  with Apex 2019.  I use iron covers on them and to be honest, the 2010s were in great shape.  Other than the fact that these are a club stronger loft, I really do not see much performance difference.  So no need to replace unless your grooves are shot (IMO) or if you have a change in swing speed.  I change Wedges every couple years when I notice spin is decreasing on pitch shots around the green.

Unless you are someone who needs the latest and greatest, I do not see a need unless some amazing technological improvement comes out.

Same with Drivers - I switch every 5 generations of Taylormade drivers to take advantage of technology off the tee atho I see no virtually  change from my M3 to the Sim2 so will probably stop there since I am 66.  Swing speed is still around 100 and handicap still around 5

I got both the irons and driver as a retirement gift to myself 

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

19 hours ago, TylorJudd said:

I have a good friend who has Halo hybrids/irons and just loves them.  Not a great player, mediocre with the driver, not great with his regular shorter irons in the set, but he really nails it when he hits these clubs.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

47 minutes ago, JohnFP said:

I just replaced my 2010 Callaway Xforged  this year  with Apex 2019.  I use iron covers on them and to be honest, the 2010s were in great shape.  Other than the fact that these are a club stronger loft, I really do not see much performance difference.  So no need to replace unless your grooves are shot (IMO) or if you have a change in swing speed.  I change Wedges every couple years when I notice spin is decreasing on pitch shots around the green.

Unless you are someone who needs the latest and greatest, I do not see a need unless some amazing technological improvement comes out.

Same with Drivers - I switch every 5 generations of Taylormade drivers to take advantage of technology off the tee atho I see no virtually  change from my M3 to the Sim2 so will probably stop there since I am 66.  Swing speed is still around 100 and handicap still around 5

I got both the irons and driver as a retirement gift to myself 

To me there are three reasons to possibly replace irons

1.  Technological improvements.  Not sure that is happening these days to any real extent.

2.  Changes in my game.  As I get older do I need a different shaft or should I be getting rid of clubs like last time I went to a five hybrid rather than a 5 iron.  By contrast, if one gets better, maybe different clubs are appropriate.  I went to a 9 degree driver last year instead of a 10.5 and am hitting the ball further (mostly as a result of more roll).

3.  Grooves wearing out.  It is my understanding that as grooves on irons get older, the ball does not spin as much and starts to fly less far.  

Item 2 is pretty personal and something that happens to each of us differently.  A guy going from 30 to 35 probably does not have this issue.  I am 67 but playing more golf than I ever have before (have more time to play since retiring) so I am seeing things both ways in this regard.

It is the 3rd one that confuses me.  I have read things that one should replace irons every 400 rounds or so because of issue 3, but seems like people here are playing clubs for many, many years without seeing degradation.  Of course, being retired, I probably play more rounds in a year now than I did in a decade when working like a dog.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

21 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think we all know you only replace your irons when new irons are released. Sometimes before. 

image.gif

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would have to agree that performance above all else determines the time for change.  Just think how long it takes to get used to the set.  I generally take about 500  range balls per club to know where my yardage range and trajectory will likely end up.  No accounting for mid-hits!!!  The best example I can give would be the set I bought in 2000.  Titleist 990’s 2-P.W.  These were incredible and custom for for length, loft, lie angle, shaft and grips.  Worked marvelous for years.  Then around 2011 I noticed a change in the wedges and short irons.  A year later I couldn’t get the same trajectory with my 2iron.  Time for a change, then it was on to my current set MP-64’s that I have gamed since 2013.  So, in closing I would say if it ain’t broke….

WIMyB

Nike Vapor Fly driver 

Nike Covert Tour 3Wood

Titleist 913 5Wood

Titleist 915 7Wood

Mizuno MP-64 4i-PW

Mizuno T-4 50 and 54 Wedges

Callaway Mack Daddy forged 58

Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide

35 minutes ago, HAC said:

To me there are three reasons to possibly replace irons

1.  Technological improvements.  Not sure that is happening these days to any real extent.

2.  Changes in my game.  As I get older do I need a different shaft or should I be getting rid of clubs like last time I went to a five hybrid rather than a 5 iron.  By contrast, if one gets better, maybe different clubs are appropriate.  I went to a 9 degree driver last year instead of a 10.5 and am hitting the ball further (mostly as a result of more roll).

3.  Grooves wearing out.  It is my understanding that as grooves on irons get older, the ball does not spin as much and starts to fly less far.  

Item 2 is pretty personal and something that happens to each of us differently.  A guy going from 30 to 35 probably does not have this issue.  I am 67 but playing more golf than I ever have before (have more time to play since retiring) so I am seeing things both ways in this regard.

It is the 3rd one that confuses me.  I have read things that one should replace irons every 400 rounds or so because of issue 3, but seems like people here are playing clubs for many, many years without seeing degradation.  Of course, being retired, I probably play more rounds in a year now than I did in a decade when working like a dog.

I believe your treatment of your irons has a role in longevity. 400 rounds would be a peak performance number also. That would also require us to have our swing in peak shape, and our grip, etc etc IMO. Good washing, clean your grooves before every shot, head overs on in bag while in use

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

19 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I believe your treatment of your irons has a role in longevity. 400 rounds would be a peak performance number also. That would also require us to have our swing in peak shape, and our grip, etc etc IMO. Good washing, clean your grooves before every shot, head overs on in bag while in use

I tend to get new grips once a year.  Our club gives us wet towels on the cart so I generally clean my grooves between shots.  Swing in peak shape?????  What day of the week is it?

• Bridgestone B X.

Gosh, since I normally play around 20-30 rounds per year, I have kept my irons for a number of years. Recently purchased my Ping G425's in 2021 but previously played the G20's (now my backup or travel set) which I had for a decade. Then again, I still have my Ping Eye 2's, which I will take down from the rafters on occasion and play a round or two with them. I also contribute my lack of distance more due to the fact that I originally started playing in my 30's and now am about to hit 70.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

What is replacing irons? I mean, I've been playing mine since 1999. Maybe I want a new set that has a 45 degree PW, vs my 49 degree one, so I can say I can go on IG and say I hit it farther.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I play 150+ rounds per yr, plus I'm very active at the range. For players who practice frequently, the range is responsible for the majority of wear and tear on clubs. So it's not about how many rounds. 

I'm playing 2-yr old Bridgestone Tour B HF2 forged irons with with 4-yr old Cleveland RTX-4 54° and 60°. Both wedges have been re-sharpened with a handheld sharpening tool multiple times.  And yeah, these tools 768640286_sharpeningtool.jpg.827a60d3ca34f0b3d8832ae24cb0d13f.jpg really work to extend the life of a wedge. I haven't touched my irons - grooves still look great. Plenty of spin. 

2 new Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° and 60° wedges are in my basement ready for next year. Recently, I hit both old gamers and new at the range side-by-side. NEW wedges generate far more spin than SHARPENED wedges. New rips the paint off a ball and leaves white deposits in the grooves. But sharpened wedges are far better than dull wedges. USGA should allow hand sharpened wedges as they cannot exceed as "factory new" sharpness condition or performance. 

768640286_sharpeningtool.jpg.827a60d3ca34f0b3d8832ae24cb0d13f.jpg

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

On 10/17/2022 at 6:46 PM, HAC said:

I read something that suggested it should be every 300 rounds because grooves get worn after that. I have never replaced irons that quickly. Of course, since I retired, I am now playing a lot more, but for me that would every four years ago or so.  Thoughts?

There are pros keeping irons for years and they seem to do just fine. 

The Iron Factory in Glendale AZ refinishes and regrooves irons.    

I have Ping I  500 and dont play enuf to wear them down for many years   luv them.  i dont even think about it. 

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

heres another lil tip.  i broke a long handle brush by accident and discovered it now fits easily in my pocket    so   i can brush the face after every hit if needed w/o any fumbling  looking or delay.  😉🤠🥸

4 minutes ago, tortise said:

Here’s a question would you be better off to buy cheaper wedges, a.k.a. Costco Wilson, whatever and replace them every year then to buy a Wolke and replace it every three years

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

buy mizuno GFF wedges and fall in love

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Was up in Scottsdale AZ last week and they were holding the Champions Tour Q School at the TPC Champions course. Followed a few groups and it surprised me to see that two different players both had a set of Ping I15 irons in their bag, they must be over 12 years old. I also play with a guy who is a +1 handicap and he still uses the Ping Eye2 irons, just updates his wedges regularly.

4 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

I also play with a guy who is a +1 handicap and he still uses the Ping Eye2 irons, just updates his wedges regularly.

Haha! I just re-gripped a set of Ping Eye 2 BeCus this week and am planning on using them this winter. So "technically" I am replacing my current irons but at no cost since we have had that set sitting in a closet for the last 30 years!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I have been playing golf for almost 30 years but really only the last 15-20 have I gotten more serious about improving my game and playing competitely in tournaments, etc.   I am currently on my 4th set of clubs so I'm keeping my main irons & woods about 8-10 years.  I do however replace my wedges (3 of them) every 2-3 years as those wear out pretty fast.  I usually play about 60 rounds per year and clean my clubs after every shot with a wet towel so I don't hit dirty clubs ever.  Financially this has worked for me as I'll spend the proper money to get fitted with the right equipment and averaging it out over the years I still spend less per year than most golfers I know who buy a new club everytime they hit a bad shot! 

Hope this helps!  

PXG Gen1 Tour 0311 Irons 4-PW

Ping G425 LST 9 Degree Driver

Ping G410 LST 14.5 Degree 3 Wood

Exotics EX9 18 Degree Hybrid

Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

I tend to change when I see a need to leverage club technology to stay as competitive as I need to be.  That is more frequent with a driver for (3 yrs or so) than with irons (5-6 years or so) unless significant changes happen that would accelerate that. If I did like new computers or cell phones and went with changes as they happen I'd have new clubs every six months but does that mean I make a magic gain in performance or club longevity?  Probably not.

I hit cast irons and cast clubs wear exponentially slower than forged clubs.  I check grooves a couple times a year but unless I hit something like a rock they don't change.  Grooves flatten faster on forged clubs but the lofts and lies change through use as well.  If you hit forged, check all your numbers across your clubs, not just wedges.

Im due to look at irons.  Current are 6 yrs old. Turning 70 is a different game than when I was 35.  I want to look at thinner faces/foam filled and get some of that game back through technology

GPS111