Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

How often do you replace your irons?

HAC

My irons are from 2011... 11 years young. I do play almost daily (even if not a full round, I'd say I average the equivalent to three eighteen holes rounds per week). So that makes my iron set about 1560 rounds old. Wayyyyyy past the noted 300.

I'll certainly buy a new set very soon (like "for Christmas" in January), in part because the grooves start to look worse for the wear, and the soles are worn out on the most used clubs (PW, 9, 7 and 4 for some reason) and in part because I want a bit more weight and stiffness in the shafts, while having them a bit more "lively" (so swapping the old PX 6.0 for some KBS tour X)... I could have plaid my set a few more years without much loss in performances, I guess, despite the heads being forged in the softest steel (S20C). So changing is mostly for looks, new shiny things, possibly "tech improvement" (even if the CBs/MBs I play are well... almost totally devoid of any technology and I must say I've never been really that convinced by the "advances in tech" for golf irons since the eye2 came out at some point last millennium.

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I've tried to use a couple of different sharpening tools on wedges with really very little success. Not sure if regular irons would fare much better.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I play between 60-80 rounds a year plus all the practice in between. I replace the wedges every 12-18 months. I replace the irons every 4 to 5 years. I replace the grips in January every year and then replace during the year as needed. I use a death grip on the Driver. That's why I am a little inconsistent off the tee. 

Most damage to your clubs aren't done on the course, it's done on the driving range.  If you're not cleaning your club faces after your hit, then you have dirt and more importantly, sand that's being ground into your club face.  I take a wet towel to the range and unless I'm hitting off mats, then I wipe the face down after each shot.  Does it take longer, yes - but what's another 5 seconds?  We spend a lot of money on our clubs, so I want to protect them from unnecessary damage.

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

14 hours ago, Duxman130 said:

I play 150+ rounds per yr, plus I'm very active at the range. For players who practice frequently, the range is responsible for the majority of wear and tear on clubs. So it's not about how many rounds. 

I'm playing 2-yr old Bridgestone Tour B HF2 forged irons with with 4-yr old Cleveland RTX-4 54° and 60°. Both wedges have been re-sharpened with a handheld sharpening tool multiple times.  And yeah, these tools 768640286_sharpeningtool.jpg.827a60d3ca34f0b3d8832ae24cb0d13f.jpg really work to extend the life of a wedge. I haven't touched my irons - grooves still look great. Plenty of spin. 

2 new Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° and 60° wedges are in my basement ready for next year. Recently, I hit both old gamers and new at the range side-by-side. NEW wedges generate far more spin than SHARPENED wedges. New rips the paint off a ball and leaves white deposits in the grooves. But sharpened wedges are far better than dull wedges. USGA should allow hand sharpened wedges as they cannot exceed as "factory new" sharpness condition or performance. 

768640286_sharpeningtool.jpg.827a60d3ca34f0b3d8832ae24cb0d13f.jpg

That tool from HIFROM really works. Just did my irons 2 weeks ago now!! 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

20 hours ago, tortise said:

Here’s a question would you be better off to buy cheaper wedges, a.k.a. Costco Wilson, whatever and replace them every year then to buy a Wolke and replace it every three years

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Buy a vokey every couple of years. Wilson compared to vokey at new is no contest. You would lose on the differential right out the gate. Add that to their specific grinds, bounces, and lofts and you are talking about arguably the best wedge made

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Wow, I guess my Ping ISI BeCu's from 1994 need to be replaced. I have no idea how many rounds I have on them but it's in the thousands and probably 80,000-100,000 balls hit if I count my range time.  I probably do need to have the lofts checked but the still work well. I have lost some distance but that is more age then anything else. That being said I've been testing the new Mizuno HM Pros and they are nice. I'm probably going to break down after the first of the year and purchase some. I'll keep my Pings since they are not made anymore. 

3 hours ago, TylorJudd said:

Buy a vokey every couple of years. Wilson compared to vokey at new is no contest. You would lose on the differential right out the gate. Add that to their specific grinds, bounces, and lofts and you are talking about arguably the best wedge made

I would argue that other than the ability to get different grinds, vokeys are cast in factories in China that you will see many other brands in. It is shocking to know they pay less for a wedge head than certain shafts and grips. That is marketing at work for us to pay $179 for a wedge based on the material costs. Not like they are spending a ton on RD, but we all pay for our fair share of their marketing budget every year.

I haven’t been the guy to ask about irons’ longevity, not for a few years now. I played 3 different sets over just the last 10-12 rounds or so.

But when something works, I’ll keep it around and also keep going back to it. Case in point, my Apex CF-16 irons. Had them since 2017 but I’ve tried 4 different sets since then. Played the CF-16 all this year until once again giving in to curiosity just a month or so back, grabbing a set of Apex 21 off CPO. But after playing those for only a handful of rounds, I thought about my i500’s that I never did give a fair chance to. Didn’t like the stock grips so I decided to try the Z-Cord Aligns, and didn’t like them either. Rather than switch grips again, I parked ‘em for well over a year.

Just installed my preferred MCC Plus 4 Align on the i500s and shot a season low 73 the second time out with ‘em.

So yeah, I’m hopeless. How often do I change sets? Obviously, often. But how long will a set last me, when I choose to hold onto it?

Infinity.

8 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I would argue that other than the ability to get different grinds, vokeys are cast in factories in China that you will see many other brands in. It is shocking to know they pay less for a wedge head than certain shafts and grips. That is marketing at work for us to pay $179 for a wedge based on the material costs. Not like they are spending a ton on RD, but we all pay for our fair share of their marketing budget every year.

Super valid points. So they are really damn good, well better than everybody else on the market, at tapping into that mental perception we create. Thank you for bringing that up, great point of view.

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Wedges I have replaced probably after 3-5 years based on wear. As far as my iron set I just replaced those about 2 years ago after 16 years of using my previous iron set. Just never found any iron sets to play as well as my old set till a couple years ago. Don't get caught up in what the industry says of how often to replace irons. They are trying to sell equipment. If your irons are damaged or worn then by all means replace them if you wish. 

Golfnut

I played my last set for 20 years before replacing. 30-40 rounds per year and major range time. Honestly, still put them in the bag occasionally and don't see any difference in performance historically or vs. the new set.  There is definitely something comforting about playing the same equipment long term.

I just replace when I want to see shiny and new!

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

Performance is the biggest issue: has your swing changed? Have you lost a significant amount of speed? Are you seeing odd spin numbers or peak heights/descent angles? If the answers to these questions is yes; you should at least look at your numbers with some new clubs. Wedges? I replace my 60 degree every 75-100 rounds, as soon as a full swing shot produces less than 9000 rpm’s of spin. My 50 and 54? Closer to 150-200 rounds. I spend a lot of time at the range over in the short game area, and that sandy soil does a number on your club faces.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 11/8/2022 at 8:15 AM, tony@CIC said:

I play with guys with G15's and they'll outplay me any day of the week. My Speedzones are 3 + years old, I play at least 150 rounds a year and they look brand new. My wedges , especially SW and LW are replaced about every 2 years. 

I’ve been playing G15s since around 2009.  I go thru periods where my iron play is highly consistent, then periods where they (me) become more erratic.  This past summer I broke 80 for the first time in my life.  

That being said, I have been shopping this past year and do plan on something new in the next few months. I’ve out-aged my stiff shafts; tried the Miz optimizer which recommended lighter shafts with recoil est R being first on the list.   Leaning toward some version of JPX923s, second choice are Titliest.  May look at PXG. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

On 10/17/2022 at 7:46 PM, HAC said:

I read something that suggested it should be every 300 rounds because grooves get worn after that. I have never replaced irons that quickly. Of course, since I retired, I am now playing a lot more, but for me that would every four years ago or so.  Thoughts?

This 300 rounds idea is total garbage, as it would depend on how much practice you do between rounds that would be a better factor when you combine it with the rounds played. Total number of balls hit would be a better way to go. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

1 hour ago, IONEPUTT said:

This 300 rounds idea is total garbage, as it would depend on how much practice you do between rounds that would be a better factor when you combine it with the rounds played. Total number of balls hit would be a better way to go. 

I have well over 300 rounds on my Cobra Speedzones - no wear visible at all. I think the 300 is something the marketing dept invented to sell more stuff. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My mp52s have been playing 6 rounds a week for 8 years. Still work great! My club repair guy says I have about 20 years left on them. I'll b 88. They'll be 35ish. If they work and you love them, play them! PS I'll send them to Flannigans before I ever quit playing them 

• 2 months later...

Just moved on from my Mizuno MP-25 irons which I got spring 2016.   Picked up a set of Titleist T100.   I would say generally every 5-7 years.  Really like the Mizuno's and may even keep them but I turn 47 this year and really wanted to give myself something to get into my 50s and then decide if I need to look at a totally different set up / shafts / etc...   I play about 60x a year on average and living in WI that isn't too horrible with a full time job 😉

Taylor Made M5 9 loft

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood 14.5 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (3) 18 loft

Callaway Apex 21 4 hybrid 21 loft

Callaway Super Hybrid (5) 24 loft

Mizuno MP25  5-PW

Vokey SM6 52, 58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado