TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fall/Winter Golf Pants!!

Stuka44

I know I am not the only one who golfs in colder weather, or in my case REALLY cold weather, if I can.   I also imagine that others have struggled with finding "just the right combination of clothing" so you can stay warm, and  can still swing, and not be bound up like Ralphie's little brother in "A Christmas Story".  I have struggled finding the right combination of  type of pants/ long johns/underneath layer.  I'm not going to take credit for this, the guy working at Deer Creek State Park, suggested these to me when I was playing there at the very end of October 2021, I just bought a pair for this fall and winter.

Men's winter bicyling pants.  They are more form fitting, but they are not spandex work out pants tight.  They are fleece lined, and completely block the wind.  There are many different brands.  The only drawback to the ones I bought(Santic brand) is that they only have one pocket on the front.  So far they have been sufficient without putting anything on underneath them.

Just wanted to let my fellow colder weather golfers know.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I am a big fan of the Under Armour ColdGear golf pants.  I have two pairs (black and grey) and they are my go to pants once the daily highs get below 50 degrees.  They are warm on their own, but also cut a bit looser to allow for a layer underneath for those really cold days.  They do really will with water and wind.  

Costco offers a line of thermally lined pants.  Normal price is $25, sale price generally $19.99.  Add a base layer underneath and I'm good down to the mid-30's here in Wisconsin.  Which, unfortunately, has been the case the past two weekends.  We might be seeing a premature end to the 2022 season.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Yeah, 15 degrees in Iowa this morning and I had (had…) an 8:30 tee time.

I will often use some under armor cold weather compression gear - bottoms as well as tops - underneath.  If the sun is shining not too bad a walk 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Oh, and rain pants….  I’ve got some SunIce gortex rain pants - break the wind, light weight, and pull off easy when tit warms up halfway thru the round. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I wear joggers but will be shutting it down here when it get's to about 50°.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I wear golf pants/slacks all year.. so when the temperature dips (like today... but it is rare) I will layer with some workout/compression pants underneath.  Usually I go with 3 layers on top, compresison shirt, golf shirt, and a pull over... that way I can shed the pullover if the temp gets high enough while I'm in my round. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Was on my way to beach and stopped to play golf 4 years ago. Crazy weather dropped temp to 32 degrees at tee time and was wearing shorts.   So bought lined guide pants from Eddie Bauer, they are water proof and warm.  Used twice since. Also have $17.99 Costco pants that are wind and water resistant, they are cheap and my go to for cold weather golf.  Underneath my top wear Under Armor cold gear .  Most useful layer in my golf bag is a $30, on sale, well cut fleece top.  This has been great in early morning rounds and near sundown.                      

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Great timing for this topic as the early morning frost delays have been numerous...

I use a variety of cold weather gear living in MI and also golfing in Scotland where the cold/rain/sleet/wind can create many challenges...

On cold mornings, I will layer compression tight bottoms (full length or 3/4) , long sleeve compression tops, stocking hat, Foot Joy winter gloves, (much body heat dissipates through the top of your head and your extremities, Tommy Copper compression socks, stocking hat, tight fitting down vest underneath a variety of windbreaker type jackets. I also take along "cart" mittens to wear between shots...as the temps rise during the round, I can shed whatever I need to in order to keep warm...and if temps rise quickly, I always take along a windproof vest and golf hat to replace the heavier weight gear. I have often started out like "Ralphy" at the beginning of a morning round and finish in a short sleeve golf shirt with or without the compression base layer...

I have taken weatherproof/rainproof/windproof golf trousers to Scotland and they serve a great purpose with the changing weather there during a round. I also have several "snoods" that I bring along which can cover the neck and partial face covering.

I also carry the small disposable heat packs which I can put in my shoes and gloves if need be...

I think the biggest issue in marginal weather is to stay dry...once the wetness seeps in, you are in for an uncomfortable time.

Hope that helps some gear decisions.

Golf Gear Head

My group played through many Connecticut winters, if a course was open we played, including in snow.  As a New Englander, must mention LL Bean has Fleece lined pants and jeans.  Most public courses in CT allow jeans in winter.

Agree with others - layer up!   I found I could play in any cold with an Under Armour base Cold Gear base, long sleeve shirt or turtleneck, and a warm pullover or sweatshirt.  It it was windy, i threw a windshirt over the top.  Footjoy makes some lined golf sweaters with a windproof lining - also great option.

Dave

Taylor Made Sim Driver and 5 wood

ping G400 3 wood

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal irons 4-G

Callaway Jaws MD wedges 54° and 58°

evnroll ER5 murdered out black putter

46-50* at Tee Time this morning, just 12 miles north of Tampa. Attire will be Shorts, long sleeve undershirt with polo over it. Should warm up to low 60’s. Today ‘s weather is a one day oddity that yields mid January weather in October.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 10/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Oh, and rain pants….  I’ve got some SunIce gortex rain pants - break the wind, light weight, and pull off easy when tit warms up halfway thru the round. 

You are so right about rain pants that is the way to go.

When it drops below 60 degrees, for the bottom, I would typically wear my normal golf slacks or some Uniqlo dress slacks.  But when it goes below 50, I would typically wear corduroy pants as they tend to feel warmer to me.  If it goes below 40 (yes, I have a golf buddy who's crazy, we played in 18 degree weather with wind chill.  Hitting a wedge shot onto the green, and it bounces like it's on a billiard table 😂)

For the top, if it goes below 60 degrees, I would likely use the running arm sleeves with regular golf polos.  I would also put on a synthetic or down vest, so I can regulate the temp.  If it goes below 50 degrees, I would typically wear a the synthetic/down vest on top of a thermal compression layer (UA, Nike, anyone's would basically do).  These typically have fuzzy inner layers that makes you feel a lot warmer.  If it's below 40 I would probably add another layer.  And if it's below freezing, I wear all of those plus my Patagonia micro-puff with hoody.  Oh and on those <40 days, a knit hat really helps.

As others have said, it's very important to wear layers as you can adjust easily to accommodate for temperature changes throughout the round.  I find it very helpful to have a underlayer for heat retention (Uniqlo also have good heat tech undergarments).  

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Mitsubishi Diamana A'hina 70 stiff
Callaway XR 3 wood 15* - Project X LZ 50 stiff (stock shaft)
Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrid Tour 18.5 (set to 19*) - Rocketfuel 80 Stiff (stock shaft)
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4 Hybrid 23* - Aldila Tour Green Stiff (stock shaft)
Mizuno MP25 5-PW - NS950 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 52/56/60 - Stock Wedge Shaft
Odyssey O-Works Red 1WS with Iomic Grip
Taylormade TP5x

I have a pair of Nike Weatherized 2.0 pants, which, is several seasons old, that I wear for winter golf. Wind proof is the key(helps to retain heat), and, a bottom base layer can be added for more warmth. Rain pants over regular pants works great, too.

If you want to talk on top, a hydrophobic base layer - long sleeve or short sleeve depending on your preference. Mid layer(s?) for warmth, and, a wind proof outer layer.

A hat to keep the head and ears warm, and, maybe a neck gaiter. Mix and match stuff depending on the weather.

Walking really helps to keep you warm, and, if you are a push cart person, the Clicgear mitts work great.

Edited by bellken

Being the FJ guy that I am, I like the FJ 5-Pocket Pants.  My favorite of the FJ line are Performance Knit Pant but they are a bit lighter weight than the five pocket, mainly, because they fit at the waist.  Both work very well for playing golf in the south in the colder months.  It was 46 when we teed off yesterday and I wore the five pocket.  I always carry my FJ Hydrolite Rain suit and can always layer up if it is a windy cold day.   If it get much colder/windy I can bring out old faithful, my Zero Restrictions Traveler Gore-Tex Rain suit.  Those pants have belt loops and work real well over other slacks with easy access to pockets.  Course does not open at certain temperatures due to potential damage to the greens.  On the coast a lot of moisture.  When winter does arrive here, I do not worry I have enough layers, head gear, gloves to keep a foursome warm.  Even FJ golf boots.  Hakuna matata.     

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

When it's really chilly, I like the pair of Puma PwrWarm pants that I own. They are heavy, but very comfortable.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Although I don’t know if they are still available, the Galway Bay lined rain trousers have proven to be very comfortable during the Fall/early winter golf season in the Seattle region. They’re just right for temps between the low 40s to the high 50s, whether it’s wet or dry. 

If your looking for a great base layer try 32 degrees heat. When I first tried it for hunting I thought no way it’s going to be warm for how thin it is but this stuff is awesome. Costco sells it and you can find it on Amazon also. Less than $15 for a top or bottom. I put under a very light pair of pants and they keep me nice and warm but not hot. I’ll be wearing today in Wisconsin with the temp around 45. 

I’ve had the Adidas Cold RDY joggers, and they’ve handled the “cold” in the Houston area really well.

I wouldn’t suggest them for extreme cold / frozen conditions though.

For frozen / cold & wet days, I’ll wear rain gear over the top and maybe a pair of cold weather leggings underneath. Usually gets the job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueBaller

It does depend on temp. but I like to wear flannel lined pants.  I also use a half sleeve thermal undershirt with a long sleeve shirt over it.  I will use a pair of Footjoy winter gloves.  When it is really cold I will use a light jacket and a thermal snow cap.

What I do since I use to live and play all year round in Japan. I use a thermal calf length compression pants under whatever pants I’m wearing and a thermal compression shirt over the shirt I have a battery power vest and then a pullover or a sweater. Ensure the vest fits snug or it’s useless but it serves me well plus since I don’t play with gloves I have a battery powered hand pouch. Now that I live in Tennessee it’s great I own most golf courses around me due to no one plays here in the cold lol. 

Check out 32below.com they are super cheap and warm relaxed fit pants for like $17.  same for puffer vests ie fake down,  I tend to wear on top:  Under Armor cold gear base layer, a silk lined wool sweater 1/4 zip and a down vest.  I wear the 32 below stretch pants and rain pants over them if its really cold or I have some gortex lined or fleece lined pants.  I have one of those heated hand warmers that's like a butt pack when I hit.

A super hack is sitting on a thick pile bathroom mat, the rubber insulates and stops slipping and the thick pile is comfortable to sit on.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Like many others have mentioned, fleece lined soft-shell pants are great...great mobility because most of them are 4 way stretch...they keep you warm, they stretch, but they are usually pretty breathable as well.    You can also just wear your rain pants, either over normal pants or over a base layer.  If they are full zip and you get too hot, you can always open the side zips for ventilation.  There are also some hiking/hunting pants that have side thigh zips for ventilation...throw a base layer under those and you can use the side zips to vent if you get too hot.  

Regarding cold hands, just get some warm mitts that are easy on easy off and wear those between shots...your hands will be toasty.  They will keep you warmer than cold weather golf gloves.  

However, one of the best things you can do to stay warm is to walk...movement keeps you warm and you will need fewer layers.  

Regarding gloves. the cold or wet weather gloves do work, but it is not the same as having just your golf glove. As mentioned above, which is a good idea, keep a pair of warm oversize mittens with you, that you can use between shots. Hand warmers are also a must in the winter months around here. Keeps your 2nd ball warm in your pocket and you can switch them every hole 🙂 You can also stick one in your mitten to warm your hands!

Driver- Ping G425 SFT senior flex

3 wood - Ping G425 SFT senior flex

5 wood Ping G410 SFT senior flex

5 Ping G425 5 hybrid senior flex

6 - gap wedge - Ping G425 irons orange code senior flex

56* sand wedge- 60 lob wedge- Kirkland 

Putter- Odyssey  

Crazy as this might sound, BJ's sells pants branded OneDayAway for about $20. They work really well when the temperature drops into the 40's and 50's and the wind picks up (20-30 mph) here in the mid-Atlantic. They are not lined and more comfortable to walk in than rain pants, which, as others have mentioned, are another good option.

Under Armor ColdGear mock turtlenecks are indispensible in wind when temps go below 50.

Titleist TSi2 with HZRDUS SMOKE RDX shaft, Titleist 917 16.5* FW, Mavrik Pro 20* & 23* HBs, Cobra King Tour (2020) 5-P with KBS $-Taper 120g shafts, King MIM 50*, Titleist SM8 54* and 58*, Odyssey #7 O-Works

On 10/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, stuka44 said:

I know I am not the only one who golfs in colder weather, or in my case REALLY cold weather, if I can.   I also imagine that others have struggled with finding "just the right combination of clothing" so you can stay warm, and  can still swing, and not be bound up like Ralphie's little brother in "A Christmas Story".  I have struggled finding the right combination of  type of pants/ long johns/underneath layer.  I'm not going to take credit for this, the guy working at Deer Creek State Park, suggested these to me when I was playing there at the very end of October 2021, I just bought a pair for this fall and winter.

Men's winter bicyling pants.  They are more form fitting, but they are not spandex work out pants tight.  They are fleece lined, and completely block the wind.  There are many different brands.  The only drawback to the ones I bought(Santic brand) is that they only have one pocket on the front.  So far they have been sufficient without putting anything on underneath them.

Just wanted to let my fellow colder weather golfers know.

I am just about to start my 6th year playing on a winter golf tour (we play 22 events plus a Tour Championship between Oct 27 - April 8), and far-and-away, I have found the UnderArmour Cold Gear golf pants with the "Inrared" body-heat trapping inner lining to be the best available winter golf pants.  This is the newest model:

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/pants_and_leggings/mens_coldgear_infrared_pants/1366288.html?dwvar_1366288_color=408&dwvar_1366288_size=32%2F32&country=US&currency=USD&scid=scplp1366288-408-32%2F32&sc_intid=1366288-408-32%2F32&cid=PLA_QT_US_78_YcMytpDkjBx&gclid=Cj0KCQjw48OaBhDWARIsAMd966D_kBKQDzDk43r15he0gGQUPe0_kw-rBXGB_6kOKlCaM-bX1hkoINUaAjJnEALw_wcB

Mine were not this expensive, nor do they have the white stripe/tab or whatever it is at the bottom edge of the pantlegs.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, rognus said:

Regarding gloves. the cold or wet weather gloves do work, but it is not the same as having just your golf glove. As mentioned above, which is a good idea, keep a pair of warm oversize mittens with you, that you can use between shots. Hand warmers are also a must in the winter months around here. Keeps your 2nd ball warm in your pocket and you can switch them every hole 🙂 You can also stick one in your mitten to warm your hands!

Just get a pair of Copper Fit golf gloves; they are warm enough for temperatures as low as the 30s and they provide the best grip of ANY gloves!

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Maybe I’ll try a pair!

Driver- Ping G425 SFT senior flex

3 wood - Ping G425 SFT senior flex

5 wood Ping G410 SFT senior flex

5 Ping G425 5 hybrid senior flex

6 - gap wedge - Ping G425 irons orange code senior flex

56* sand wedge- 60 lob wedge- Kirkland 

Putter- Odyssey