Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shot a career low 79 and I attribute it all to changing what I practice

Congrats!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

40 minutes ago, inner_game_coach said:

I stood on the 18th tee not aware of my score - it is recorded automatically through Arccos. I knew I was playing well (to my standards) but it didn’t feel lights out. There were some mishits, but they were saved. Some short putts that were missed. I didn’t even card a single birdie - which I have done in the past multiple time and still card in the high 80's, low 90's

I put a drive about 245 into the fairway - I am not a long hitter. I had 135 left to the front of the green, pin set 10 paces on. I stood over my bag and without thinking or making judgments, I let myself pull my 8i. On the range my 8 is my 150 club - but I took the ego out of the situation and trusted my feeling. I put a smooth swing on it and the ball just cleared the sand trap guarding the right of the green - pin high, 10 yards to the right of my target.

So, when stepped up the 18th green at Architects to take my 35ft birdie putt, I was surprised to see that I had shot a 75 through 17 holes and that if I carded a par here, I’d break 80 and my lowest round ever. I immediately got nervous and though there was no one to care about my score and no crowds watching me, I felt this perceived pressure mounting. Something I had avoided for 17 holes. I let my thoughts get the best of me and I left myself with a nerve-wracking 5ft left. I became acutely aware of my tense upper body so I took a deep breath and allowed my shoulders to relax. “This truly doesn’t matter one way or the other”, I told myself. I stepped up the ball after getting my read and I imagined the feeling of picking the ball out of the cup and took my shot. It landed true and I finished the hole with a par. 79.

While I celebrate that accomplishment, I know that some days will be better or worse than others and that I should not feel defeated if the next time I go out I shoot an 89. Expectation is the enemy of enjoyment.

Up until that round I hadn’t played 18 in 3 or 4 weeks. I had been to the range a bunch because I am one of those nuts that loves to practice. But practice has been different lately. Instead of trying to “perfect” a certain swing, or come more from the inside, or hitting the ball first, I am working to practice what I preach - learning how to feel and getting my mind in the right space to play. I am learning to trust that my body can make the swing that it needs to make to get the ball where it needs to be.

I was going out with little expectation on myself. The only thing I told myself as I played was trust your “learning self” and accept the uncertainty - because uncertainty is part of the fun. If I could control every shot, I’d be great but at the cost of not enjoying the game. I was great at my job and could control most aspects of the work I did, but I still quit because it didn’t bring me joy in doing it anymore. I don’t want golf to be a job. I’m here to have fun, release stress, and enjoy nature.

Accepting the uncertainty in turn allowed me to unconsciously loosen up as a played. And being loose allowed me to have a smoother, more athletic swing than normally wanting to control how I swing and tightening up.

I don’t know how often I’ll shoot that low, but I’m inclined to continue accepting the uncertainty and enjoying the game a little more. I know working on my mental game will make a larger impact for me than trying to engineer a better swing.

Solid work!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

55 minutes ago, inner_game_coach said:

I stood on the 18th tee not aware of my score - it is recorded automatically through Arccos. I knew I was playing well (to my standards) but it didn’t feel lights out. There were some mishits, but they were saved. Some short putts that were missed. I didn’t even card a single birdie - which I have done in the past multiple time and still card in the high 80's, low 90's

I put a drive about 245 into the fairway - I am not a long hitter. I had 135 left to the front of the green, pin set 10 paces on. I stood over my bag and without thinking or making judgments, I let myself pull my 8i. On the range my 8 is my 150 club - but I took the ego out of the situation and trusted my feeling. I put a smooth swing on it and the ball just cleared the sand trap guarding the right of the green - pin high, 10 yards to the right of my target.

So, when stepped up the 18th green at Architects to take my 35ft birdie putt, I was surprised to see that I had shot a 75 through 17 holes and that if I carded a par here, I’d break 80 and my lowest round ever. I immediately got nervous and though there was no one to care about my score and no crowds watching me, I felt this perceived pressure mounting. Something I had avoided for 17 holes. I let my thoughts get the best of me and I left myself with a nerve-wracking 5ft left. I became acutely aware of my tense upper body so I took a deep breath and allowed my shoulders to relax. “This truly doesn’t matter one way or the other”, I told myself. I stepped up the ball after getting my read and I imagined the feeling of picking the ball out of the cup and took my shot. It landed true and I finished the hole with a par. 79.

While I celebrate that accomplishment, I know that some days will be better or worse than others and that I should not feel defeated if the next time I go out I shoot an 89. Expectation is the enemy of enjoyment.

Up until that round I hadn’t played 18 in 3 or 4 weeks. I had been to the range a bunch because I am one of those nuts that loves to practice. But practice has been different lately. Instead of trying to “perfect” a certain swing, or come more from the inside, or hitting the ball first, I am working to practice what I preach - learning how to feel and getting my mind in the right space to play. I am learning to trust that my body can make the swing that it needs to make to get the ball where it needs to be.

I was going out with little expectation on myself. The only thing I told myself as I played was trust your “learning self” and accept the uncertainty - because uncertainty is part of the fun. If I could control every shot, I’d be great but at the cost of not enjoying the game. I was great at my job and could control most aspects of the work I did, but I still quit because it didn’t bring me joy in doing it anymore. I don’t want golf to be a job. I’m here to have fun, release stress, and enjoy nature.

Accepting the uncertainty in turn allowed me to unconsciously loosen up as a played. And being loose allowed me to have a smoother, more athletic swing than normally wanting to control how I swing and tightening up.

I don’t know how often I’ll shoot that low, but I’m inclined to continue accepting the uncertainty and enjoying the game a little more. I know working on my mental game will make a larger impact for me than trying to engineer a better swing.

Wish I could like this post 20 times. 

Mindset and attitude are so integral to both playing well and enjoying golf

1 hour ago, inner_game_coach said:

Expectation is the enemy of enjoyment.

oh boy does this resonate with me. 

Truely inspiring post IGC.  

🙇‍♂️

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, inner_game_coach said:

Congratulations!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Just think about how many times you are at the local muni and you see some hack getting upset every time they miss an 10 foot putt.

Meanwhile, the average player on the PGA Tour makes only 52% of their 8 footers.  Under 20% for 15-20 footers.

Yet the guy that golfs two or three times a month and never practices has an expectation that he should make a 10 footer almost every time

1 hour ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Just think about how many times you are at the local muni and you see some hack getting upset every time they miss an 10 foot putt.

Meanwhile, the average player on the PGA Tour makes only 52% of their 8 footers.  Under 20% for 15-20 footers.

Yet the guy that golfs two or three times a month and never practices has an expectation that he should make a 10 footer almost every time

This.

One of the guys at work didn't play for two years and expects to make everything inside 10 feet and gets upset when he doesn't. I've been working on convincing him about this stat to help him manage expectations. I'm not sure I'm getting through to him, but the times we've played together I've made sure to compliment him on his putting and let him know the make rate. 

We play a game that gets harder the closer we get to the hole.

Fantastic round and a great attitude.  It seems like the best rounds come when we are not cognizant of our score and enjoying the moment.  I know mine was.  

Congratulations!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

It is amazing that stat, I know I get wrapped up in missing those 5-8' putts, and making a few can really change a round but realistically 2 putting those all day is good!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

18 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

This mental side pops up from time to time, especially expectation management but it always a good reminder. To kick off next year I'll probably be digging out the Bob Rotella books I have as a refresher. Used to do this every year before the high school golf season, but it has been a while. That with stats like the one you mention above are the best.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

20 hours ago, inner_game_coach said:

Reading your post brings back a flood of thoughts related to the changes we go through as golfers. Lucky for me my memory is still very sharp. Or maybe not so lucky!

The first few years I spent a 1/2 hour in the bathroom sick to my stomach thinking about hitting off the first tee. I'd get to the course and within minutes was off to the bathroom. Even though I was playing with friends there were always groups gathered to watch while waiting for their tee time. A few years later it was all ok but then nervous about getting paired up with strangers. Then you get into the why can't I break 100, then 90, 80, 70 (and that's where that ends). Then you always have that "If I par this last hole I will break "X". That was the kiss of death especially if there was a crowd at the clubhouse watching people hitting into the 18th hole.

But as I look at where I am now all those things have a way of working themselves out over time. Now I don't give a sh t. I welcome playing with strangers, I enjoy a crowd watching. Granted there was a lot of work involved to hone my game to be able to be comfortable in any situation. But it is interesting to see how you were when you started and how you have changed over time. 

Last week I was in a tournament and standing on the 18th tee box you could see all the other groups that had finished standing on the patio overlooking the 18th green. It was a par 4. My team had some balls in play but nothing great.  The crowd got my competitive nature up and I smoked one to within 60 yards of the green. The hecklers started as we got closer. "$20.00 he misses the green'.  It was a very elevated green with severe slopes surrounding the green, so I played to center. Executed to center. Then they started "double or nothing that they don't make the putt". I told the team I would putt first. They objected as I was the better putter and they wanted to give me the line. I turned and said I got this. A 32-foot putt with a right to left break. I drained it. (The big mouth welched on paying up).  But I teed up last and still went for it, took the first approach shot, and first putt because I had the confidence in myself that I could do it.

But the point is 30 plus years ago I would have crapped my pants but today I welcome the challenge. Trust in your abilities, don't second guess yourself, don't stress yourself out as this causes tension in the swing. Have fun as this is really what it is all about. (OK getting a trophy and a check is ok too!)     

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Golf is after all SUPPOSED to be FUN.  Loose as a goose.  When I feel myself tightening I think of the Three Stooges, who I grew up with in the 50s and 60s.  And I think of being a slingshot, a rubber band.  Good for you.  (I hope todays kids get a full measure of the Stooges and Daffy duck.)

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

23 hours ago, inner_game_coach said:

Expectation is the enemy of enjoyment.

Yeah that is awesome; great encapsulation of not just golf games/our golfing selves!

Enjoyed the whole post ... been trying to work on mental game/on-course attitude as that is definitely one of the bigger things holding me back....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah that is awesome; great encapsulation of not just golf games/our golfing selves!

Enjoyed the whole post ... been trying to work on mental game/on-course attitude as that is definitely one of the bigger things holding me back....

It's certainly going to be a journey - doing it once isn't going to satisfy me very long haha

Good for you! Investing in your mental game is going to pay dividends. Shoot me a message if you want to talk about mental game coaching - my book is open for new folks.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, inner_game_coach said:

... As others have said, great post! Played with a guy yesterday that had one of my cringe moments when he thinned an iron that rolled onto the green and 2 putted for what he described as "A par I didn't deserve". I asked him how may shots he took and he replied 4 and I said "then you deserved a par". I have heard these kinds of negative comments so many times. 

... Unless they just have uncanny golf skills every low single digit index player has learned how to score. Doing it when everything is working well is no easier than when things are working poorly. Sure you can shoot a couple under par when everything is on auto pilot but you can still shoot around par when the entire day is a struggle because you know that is a big part of the game. It is that old cliche of taking the round one shot at a time. Hit a really big drive and then hit your wedge fat coming up just short of the green? Your focus is now chipping in or getting it to tap in range. The fat shot is irrelevant. Yet I play with higher index players that hit a huge drive, duff their iron shot, mess up their pitch and 3 putt because they pretty much mentally checked out after "f*****g up my big drive with an idiot iron swing". Fred Couples just won shooting a 60 for his last round after opening the tourney with a double bogy. 

... Hats off to you for the right attitude to not only enjoy this great game, but also give yourself the best chance at shooting low scores. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Well played, several great points in your recap, and sounded like fun too.   Welcome to the club!

On 10/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, inner_game_coach said:

...but I took the ego out of the situation and trusted my feeling. 

Accepting the uncertainty in turn allowed me to unconsciously loosen up...

I don’t know how often I’ll shoot that low, but I’m inclined to continue accepting the uncertainty and enjoying the game a little more. 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 10/19/2022 at 1:00 PM, inner_game_coach said:

Congrats on breaking 80!

I'm still trying. I've shot 80 three times. The last time I had a  triple on the 18th. I now do not monitor my total score on the last 9 holes. I add up my total after completing 18.

I'm confident it will happen, but at 70 yrs old it's not getting any easier 😉

Carl L

Well done and trusting your swing is a breakthrough hurdle.

Brought back memories of my closest encounter with score in 60s. Par would be 69. I three putted from 18ft for a 70.....glad you made yours. Believe me, it does matter. .. 40 years later I am still regretting that 3 putt ! 

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

Wow. Great job. I hope you enjoy and remember that round for a long time or until you break 78. Great job my man. Who Ah!!

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 10/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, inner_game_coach said:

Congrats that’s awesome 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Congratulations breaking 80.  For the majority of amateur golfers around your handicap breaking 80 can seem like that unattainable target.  With that perception, we can often be our own worst enemy when we walk up to the finishing holes with the opportunity to break it.   I can't tell you how many years I played and how many times I shot 80 or 81.  Each time I found ways not to break that barrier.  I was born, raised and worked in Rochester, New York.   In 1994 we had an unusually warm late November, so a friend and I headed out to play.  I was playing pretty well coming down to the last two holes.  My "friend" turned to me and said if I pared the last two holes, I'd break 80.  "THANKS", I thought.  Being a Buffalo Bills fan, it's like saying "Scott Norwood never misses at this distance" then wide right!  I ended up doing just that and broke that at time seems that insurmountable target.  The next week it was warm as well, we played a different course, and I broke 80 again.  

My lesson to myself was that once you think and know you can do it, the easier it becomes to do repeat the success of breaking 80 or any other golf score barrier.   After almost 30 years since breaking 80, I've done it many times.  To help me remember what's possible, I try and save golf balls from rounds that I accomplished something special.  They include many of the balls used to break 80, shooting par for 9 holes, making an eagle and playing three rounds in Myrtle Beach courses I never played before with the same golf ball.  I keep these on the wall in my office to remind me that almost anything is possible.  

993706740_GolfBallRackPublish.jpg.03425168362c6fe30819bafd7609ca5e.jpg

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

A friend (who was a 3 hdcp) told me that breaking 80 is like popping the cork off a bottle, once done it will all flow from there… so long as you don’t think about it.  

I think he is half right. It does get easier.  If you don’t think about it the pressure is off because you’ve done it.  You know you can do it because youve done it.  Good scores often come in streaks. So long as you don’t think about it.

I try very hard not to look at my arccos until the end of the round. Check that the hole is right - no missed putts, but I try not to let my eye wander to that upper right hand corner…

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 10/23/2022 at 9:16 AM, Golf2Much said:

Congratulations breaking 80.  For the majority of amateur golfers around your handicap breaking 80 can seem like that unattainable target.  With that perception, we can often be our own worst enemy when we walk up to the finishing holes with the opportunity to break it.   I can't tell you how many years I played and how many times I shot 80 or 81.  Each time I found ways not to break that barrier.  I was born, raised and worked in Rochester, New York.   In 1994 we had an unusually warm late November, so a friend and I headed out to play.  I was playing pretty well coming down to the last two holes.  My "friend" turned to me and said if I pared the last two holes, I'd break 80.  "THANKS", I thought.  Being a Buffalo Bills fan, it's like saying "Scott Norwood never misses at this distance" then wide right!  I ended up doing just that and broke that at time seems that insurmountable target.  The next week it was warm as well, we played a different course, and I broke 80 again.  

My lesson to myself was that once you think and know you can do it, the easier it becomes to do repeat the success of breaking 80 or any other golf score barrier.   After almost 30 years since breaking 80, I've done it many times.  To help me remember what's possible, I try and save golf balls from rounds that I accomplished something special.  They include many of the balls used to break 80, shooting par for 9 holes, making an eagle and playing three rounds in Myrtle Beach courses I never played before with the same golf ball.  I keep these on the wall in my office to remind me that almost anything is possible.  

993706740_GolfBallRackPublish.jpg.03425168362c6fe30819bafd7609ca5e.jpg

This is such a cool reminder. I may steal this idea

5 minutes ago, inner_game_coach said:

This is such a cool reminder. I may steal this idea

Absolutely!  Glad you liked it!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts