Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Virtual Reality Golf

GolfSpy_APH

image.png

https://mygolfspy.com/virtual-reality-golf-takes-a-real-world-leap/

Between real golf, sim golf and now VR Golf the sport is growing and getting a lot of new options in how we play the game. For those of us heading into winter this is a awfully timely article from John Barba and one that is definitely worth reading!

Check it out and let us know what you think! Is this something that interests you? What would be the first course you would play? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I don’t get a very good sense of what VR golf would be like, exactly. Callaway clubs??? TaylorMade clubs? Is a player holding a “wand” in their hand? What’s the set-up look like? Great. VR golf. Put-on some goggles and what else? No goggles and it’s a simulator set-up (TopGolf is mentioned)??? Not enough info for me to really understand how it’s played, where it’s played, etc. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

I don’t get a very good sense of what VR golf would be like, exactly. Callaway clubs??? TaylorMade clubs? Is a player holding a “wand” in their hand? What’s the set-up look like? Great. VR golf. Put-on some goggles and what else? No goggles and it’s a simulator set-up (TopGolf is mentioned)??? Not enough info for me to really understand how it’s played, where it’s played, etc. 

There are probably so many different directions it could be taken. Even so far as different club types? I am still a bit hazy on what the new Meta is supposed to be and i see all these articles about it not being up to standards of expectations, however i do imagine this as being a more immersive Level of sim golf.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

The VR aspect is intriguing.. but the hardware required would quickly move it from an immersive golf experience to a video game (I think Wii Sports. - It was a blast... but it wasn't playing golf. haha).  All the things required as mentioned above would be barriers for me (goggles, wands, haptic gloves) - or at least would limit me from feeling like I'm actually playing golf.  I will say the advancements are staggering in this area, and I would do it for pure entertainment value - I mean... I spent a small fortune on Golden Tee back in the day...  The mention of TopGolf has me cautiously optimistic.. if they could provide the "stand alone golfer" experience and minimize the paraphernalia (maybe perceived) to actually hitting golf shots and watching them inside a VR setting... I'm in. 

You asked which course(s)... the easy answers... Augusta, St. Andrews, Pine Valley (call out to @Golfspy_Lukes).    But, really any course done realistically would be fine by me.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

The VR aspect is intriguing.. but the hardware required would quickly move it from an immersive golf experience to a video game (I think Wii Sports. - It was a blast... but it wasn't playing golf. haha).  All the things required as mentioned above would be barriers for me (goggles, wands, haptic gloves) - or at least would limit me from feeling like I'm actually playing golf.  I will say the advancements are staggering in this area, and I would do it for pure entertainment value - I mean... I spent a small fortune on Golden Tee back in the day...  The mention of TopGolf has me cautiously optimistic.. if they could provide the "stand alone golfer" experience and minimize the paraphernalia (maybe perceived) to actually hitting golf shots and watching them inside a VR setting... I'm in. 

You asked which course(s)... the easy answers... Augusta, St. Andrews, Pine Valley (call out to @Golfspy_Lukes).    But, really any course done realistically would be fine by me.

Still play Wii golf sometimes with the kids when they want to have that kind of fun on a dreary day/evening and the scene is projected on the living room wall to be a full size image, but it is the lack of a real club that takes away from my appreciation of it because the twisting of the controller to shape shots is nothing I would ever do with a real club in hands.  Even my short-shaft swing trainer would be an improvement if no ball other than a target on the floor was used instead of a controller with wrist-strap.

For locations I would want those exotic courses I will never be able to afford to play like Lofoten at 69*N latitude, Thracian Cliffs, Bulgaria on the Black Sea, Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand with fairways with 400ft cliffs that fall away to the sea, La Paz, Bolivia on top of the world 2 miles above sea level (think of the thin air ball flights!), Legend Gold Course, South Africa with its extra hole the "Extreme 19th" with it's 400m drop to the green in the shape of the African continent.  And can't miss Old Head Golf Links, County Cork on the southwest tip of Ireland overlooking the Atlantic where an exceeding long drive could possibly reach North America (not realistically without an uncanny appearance of hard objects to bounce the ball 3000miles...)

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to hear if anyone has experience with the Meta Quest 2 and espically now that they are expanding the offering with Golf+ that will include Pinehurst and Pebble Beach.   

I am a complete newbie to most game systems anyway, but form what I've seen of this system for the cost $399 it looks like it could be a pretty entertaining winter time activity. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2022 at 1:17 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Interested to hear if anyone has experience with the Meta Quest 2 and espically now that they are expanding the offering with Golf+ that will include Pinehurst and Pebble Beach.   

I am a complete newbie to most game systems anyway, but form what I've seen of this system for the cost $399 it looks like it could be a pretty entertaining winter time activity. 

I'm such a dolt! I've completely missed this thread, and have been playing on the Quest 2 since it debuted two years ago.  It's...shockingly fun.  

A quick videogame background on me:  Never had the NES, never had the Sega Genesis, never had literally any "cool" console that all the other kids had.  Ever.  I was ALWAYS begging to go over their houses to play.  I finally had a PS3 when it came out, and that was really the only console I had (roommates and I went in together on a Wii for party games and such).  I still have it, and use it to play BluRays on the TV every now and again.

Along comes the Quest 2.  I had played the first version at a friends house a year before, and my wife couldn't stop laughing at me while I was playing some boxing game - it's impossible not to get REALLY into it, and by the end, I was sweating like a stuck pig.  But so, so happy.  Lol. 

So we purchased the Quest 2 as a belated-birthday-present for me.  

Currently, our biggest game rotation includes an awesome mini-golf game (Walkabout Mini Golf), Beat Saber (because it is legit awesome), and (for me) Golf+.  I just bought the Pebble Beach/Pinehurst/Kiawah Island/Wolf Creek bundle (an extra $29.99) - and holy hell.  I've never been to any of those places, but have watched countless videos taken there, not to mention all the majors that have been played there.

It's genuinely incredible.  

As for game-play, you actually have to swing the clubs.  And putt.  And if you turn your hands at all during the swing, the ball does NOT go straight.  I will NOT say it is exactly like golfing, of course, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than any other golf game I've ever played using a controller, because it's not just flipping a joystick up and down.  You're literally swinging your arms.

One of the things I'm considering purchasing is a 3rd-party "wand" that is effectively a golf grip on a 1/4-sized club, that you attach the wand to.  This allows you to grip with two hands and swing exactly as you would a normal club.  I'm looking into reviews on it - it's only $30, but...it may be well worth it.

But last Friday, my buddy Andy and I logged on, set up a game, and instantly were transported to Pinehurst #2.  Yes, the graphics are SLIGHTLY cartoonish.  But 2 minutes in, and it was like I was there - it's truly extraordinary.  

If you're at ALL intrigued by the Quest 2, I can't recommend the headset enough, especially when bundled with this game/course bundle.  

I was actually hoping there was a group from MGS that could set up a little mini-outing.  It's genuinely a good time.

-(Swimmy, Swammy, Simpson, Sampson, Swanson) Samsonite

PS - make sure you get a long (6 foot, minimum) USB-C to USB-C cord to plug in and play with, as the battery's really only good for about 2-ish hours, and both times my round of 18 has come VERY close to crapping out.  I play in the kitchen (usually), where I have a big enough space to swing my arms, and the cord isn't in the way.  There are more elegant solutions to this, of course (they sell extra battery packs, etc.), but I'm relatively cheap and this works great 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

14 hours ago, Samsonite said:

I'm such a dolt! I've completely missed this thread, and have been playing on the Quest 2 since it debuted two years ago.  It's...shockingly fun.  

A quick videogame background on me:  Never had the NES, never had the Sega Genesis, never had literally any "cool" console that all the other kids had.  Ever.  I was ALWAYS begging to go over their houses to play.  I finally had a PS3 when it came out, and that was really the only console I had (roommates and I went in together on a Wii for party games and such).  I still have it, and use it to play BluRays on the TV every now and again.

Along comes the Quest 2.  I had played the first version at a friends house a year before, and my wife couldn't stop laughing at me while I was playing some boxing game - it's impossible not to get REALLY into it, and by the end, I was sweating like a stuck pig.  But so, so happy.  Lol. 

So we purchased the Quest 2 as a belated-birthday-present for me.  

Currently, our biggest game rotation includes an awesome mini-golf game (Walkabout Mini Golf), Beat Saber (because it is legit awesome), and (for me) Golf+.  I just bought the Pebble Beach/Pinehurst/Kiawah Island/Wolf Creek bundle (an extra $29.99) - and holy hell.  I've never been to any of those places, but have watched countless videos taken there, not to mention all the majors that have been played there.

It's genuinely incredible.  

As for game-play, you actually have to swing the clubs.  And putt.  And if you turn your hands at all during the swing, the ball does NOT go straight.  I will NOT say it is exactly like golfing, of course, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than any other golf game I've ever played using a controller, because it's not just flipping a joystick up and down.  You're literally swinging your arms.

One of the things I'm considering purchasing is a 3rd-party "wand" that is effectively a golf grip on a 1/4-sized club, that you attach the wand to.  This allows you to grip with two hands and swing exactly as you would a normal club.  I'm looking into reviews on it - it's only $30, but...it may be well worth it.

But last Friday, my buddy Andy and I logged on, set up a game, and instantly were transported to Pinehurst #2.  Yes, the graphics are SLIGHTLY cartoonish.  But 2 minutes in, and it was like I was there - it's truly extraordinary.  

If you're at ALL intrigued by the Quest 2, I can't recommend the headset enough, especially when bundled with this game/course bundle.  

I was actually hoping there was a group from MGS that could set up a little mini-outing.  It's genuinely a good time.

-(Swimmy, Swammy, Simpson, Sampson, Swanson) Samsonite

PS - make sure you get a long (6 foot, minimum) USB-C to USB-C cord to plug in and play with, as the battery's really only good for about 2-ish hours, and both times my round of 18 has come VERY close to crapping out.  I play in the kitchen (usually), where I have a big enough space to swing my arms, and the cord isn't in the way.  There are more elegant solutions to this, of course (they sell extra battery packs, etc.), but I'm relatively cheap and this works great 😉

Awesome info on this.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.   You have me intriqued. 

But one thing, I was a bit confused on.   this sentence Yes, the graphics are SLIGHTLY cartoonish.  But 2 minutes in, and it was like I was there - it's truly extraordinary.  

I don't quite get how it goes from cartoonish to like you are there?  To me realistic graphics are the number 1 eseential that i'm looking for, then number 2 would be realistic results...which you touched on in the beginning, sounds like it checks that box!

Lastly, swinging the club vs wand.   You say you have to swing the club (is it your actual clubs and there is an attcahment to it?) then you mention the 3/4 length wand that you can buy, which to me is not bad at all for $30... So just a bit more clarity on what you actually swing and how it's tracked?    

Lastly, I assume also sinec you are wearing the headset, that's what you are actually viewing inside the headset.   If you have other people watching (and of course laughing at you) do you also diesplay it on a TV or computer monitor....is this required or just an option.    Say I was going to use if solo use 99% of the time and no one else is around to watch.....and laugh.   Then there is no need to be wired or connected to a monitor screen etc? 

Sorry for all the "newbie" questions, but I litteraly haven't had a video game since Atari 2600 🤦‍♂️

Mario Rush Golf. Now were talking!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

23 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Awesome info on this.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.   You have me intriqued. 

But one thing, I was a bit confused on.   this sentence Yes, the graphics are SLIGHTLY cartoonish.  But 2 minutes in, and it was like I was there - it's truly extraordinary.  

I don't quite get how it goes from cartoonish to like you are there?  To me realistic graphics are the number 1 eseential that i'm looking for, then number 2 would be realistic results...which you touched on in the beginning, sounds like it checks that box!

Lastly, swinging the club vs wand.   You say you have to swing the club (is it your actual clubs and there is an attcahment to it?) then you mention the 3/4 length wand that you can buy, which to me is not bad at all for $30... So just a bit more clarity on what you actually swing and how it's tracked?    

Lastly, I assume also sinec you are wearing the headset, that's what you are actually viewing inside the headset.   If you have other people watching (and of course laughing at you) do you also diesplay it on a TV or computer monitor....is this required or just an option.    Say I was going to use if solo use 99% of the time and no one else is around to watch.....and laugh.   Then there is no need to be wired or connected to a monitor screen etc? 

Sorry for all the "newbie" questions, but I litteraly haven't had a video game since Atari 2600 🤦‍♂️

When i get back to my desk, I’ll answer in detail: great questions! 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

5 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

When i get back to my desk, I’ll answer in detail: great questions! 

Thanks so much!  Appreciate the insight

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Okay, so see attached for some "cartoonish" images of Pinehurst.  What I meant by "2 minutes in..." is what I'm calling the Matrix-effect.  At first, when you get in there, it's ... not real.  Very clearly, it's a video-game rendition of Pinehurst.  But, just as in the Matrix, your mind makes it real - pretty quickly it's hard to imagine how it could look MORE real.  

For instance, you load Pinehurst, and you see this:

1543646609_PinehurstClubhouseandclock.jpg.f606cb967824e772d2161604d9b8c7a3.jpg

And you're like, "holy hell, that's the clubhouse. That's the clock!"  And then you see the view down the first tee: 

635809493_ViewfromTee.jpg.55ec0b031ba976453236b403f3507311.jpg

Or you see, later in your round, the sun setting through the pines

1593522603_Sunsetthroughpines.jpg.9c647d7e2520524859ff9771a422f0b9.jpg

As you approach the green, there's that terrible bunker on the left that you're sure you'll end up in as soon as you get a chance...

1453123018_Greenview.jpg.be9e5131ff20b2d72244b8e733a56088.jpg

And then you're on the green, staring at the flag blowing in the (gentle) breeze (there are options to make everything harder - breeze becomes gusting wind, greens become lightning, etc.)

Flag.jpg.a59ce2c29feb669526efb760484e9ea2.jpg

So, yeah, it's a cartoon - but it's BEAUTIFUL.  And it's all rendered pretty seamlessly while you're "walking" around.  

But, yes, every once in a while you're reminded that you're still in a video game - especially when your buddy enters what I'm calling "Giant Mode" - essentially gives you an eagle-eye view of the course from wherever you're standing - and if you turn around, your friend is literally a giant (albeit just a floating torso, but still):

1315842739_GodModeexample.jpg.4013f4992f23c9a7c2d78ae916a1d9d0.jpg

I guess what I'm saying is, while it doesn't have the photo-realism of, say, a PS5 2k23 game, what it DOES is immerse you in the course in a way that those others can't.  You can spin around 360 in your kitchen (in my case, anyway), and go explore.  Oh, and guess what?  Hitting out of the pine straw if really g-d hard.  I still haven't quite figured it out - but it's a legit penalty unless you get PERFECT contact.  It's fascinating.

You asked:  "Swinging the club vs wand.   You say you have to swing the club (is it your actual clubs and there is an attachment to it?) then you mention the 3/4 length wand that you can buy, which to me is not bad at all for $30... So just a bit more clarity on what you actually swing and how it's tracked?"

Here's a pic of a thing you can buy online - there are MANY options, so I just grabbed the first one I could Google Search:

1170413031_ClubHandle.JPG.fb398f0c382b0e33c9f3876eb3dab622.JPG

The White part at the end of the club is the Quest controller - there are both a left and a right, and they are form-fitting in your hand, with the round circle part where all the motion sensors are.  For the golfing game, you only use the right club (probably the left one for you lefties out there).  I've been just holding it in roughly a golf-stance, and then swinging it up and and down in as close to a golf swing as I can with one hand.  This attachment allows you to actually put your golf swing on it during the game, giving you WAY more feedback than just swinging one-arm would do.  I'm going to get one, just haven't settled on which one yet.  The thing I'm not sure about is how you'd navigate through the round, as you do need to hit buttons to change clubs (you get a full bag, by the way - and the more you progress, the more club options you have (standard is, I believe, a Callaway set, but I for sure saw "Stealth" in the driver section as an upgraded club), navigate your way through, etc.  It would seem like after you swing, you probably just reach down and grab the controller and press whatever buttons you need to, then swing again when you're ready.  Also, looks like some are more expensive than others - I saw some for as much as $75 - just a heads-up.

Lastly, you asked:  "I assume also since you are wearing the headset, that's what you are actually viewing inside the headset.   If you have other people watching (and of course laughing at you) do you also display it on a TV or computer monitor....is this required or just an option.    Say I was going to use if solo use 99% of the time and no one else is around to watch.....and laugh.   Then there is no need to be wired or connected to a monitor screen etc?"

Yeah, that's right - everything is projected in the headset itself.  However, through the app, you can "cast" what you're seeing either to a phone, or to a TV (assuming you can stream from your phone to your TV without issue).  When my wife/kid is playing mini-golf, I usually stream it to the TV so I can watch what they're doing, and give them pointers (if needed).  Same thing here - if you were playing, you could sling it to your TV and then your friends could laugh at all your terrible shots, lol - I mean, gaze in wonder as you make shot after shot 😉

There's no "wired" connection, except for what I was saying earlier about the battery not lasting a huge amount of time (roughly 2 hours if playing online with a buddy (I think the connection and the audio/etc. uses more battery), more if playing locally).  I happen to have a 6 ft USB-C cord (came with my MacBook), and that's what I use if the battery starts to dip.  It's not elegant, for sure, but it gets the job done.  

For what it's worth, you can also create an avatar that looks as much (or as little) like you as you'd like, which is kind of hilarious.  My buddy Andy really does have a goatee and brown hair (but he has legs), so when we were playing, it really is like watching your buddy putt, etc.  And they can see you watching, etc.  

I think Golf + / Quest 2 has kind of nailed the blending of playability/fun with immersion into the course(s).  Pebble is also a fairly extraordinary experience.  I haven't played Kiawah yet, but am looking forward to seeing how many balls I can put in the ocean before crying and ripping the headset off 😉

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

3 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Okay, so see attached for some "cartoonish" images of Pinehurst.  What I meant by "2 minutes in..." is what I'm calling the Matrix-effect.  At first, when you get in there, it's ... not real.  Very clearly, it's a video-game rendition of Pinehurst.  But, just as in the Matrix, your mind makes it real - pretty quickly it's hard to imagine how it could look MORE real.  

And you're like, "holy hell, that's the clubhouse. That's the clock!"  And then you see the view down the first tee: 

As you approach the green, there's that terrible bunker on the left that you're sure you'll end up in as soon as you get a chance...

And then you're on the green, staring at the flag blowing in the (gentle) breeze (there are options to make everything harder - breeze becomes gusting wind, greens become lightning, etc.)

So, yeah, it's a cartoon - but it's BEAUTIFUL.  And it's all rendered pretty seamlessly while you're "walking" around.  

But, yes, every once in a while you're reminded that you're still in a video game - especially when your buddy enters what I'm calling "Giant Mode" - essentially gives you an eagle-eye view of the course from wherever you're standing - and if you turn around, your friend is literally a giant (albeit just a floating torso, but still):

I guess what I'm saying is, while it doesn't have the photo-realism of, say, a PS5 2k23 game, what it DOES is immerse you in the course in a way that those others can't.  You can spin around 360 in your kitchen (in my case, anyway), and go explore.  Oh, and guess what?  Hitting out of the pine straw if really g-d hard.  I still haven't quite figured it out - but it's a legit penalty unless you get PERFECT contact.  It's fascinating.

You asked:  "Swinging the club vs wand.   You say you have to swing the club (is it your actual clubs and there is an attachment to it?) then you mention the 3/4 length wand that you can buy, which to me is not bad at all for $30... So just a bit more clarity on what you actually swing and how it's tracked?"

Here's a pic of a thing you can buy online - there are MANY options, so I just grabbed the first one I could Google Search:

The White part at the end of the club is the Quest controller - there are both a left and a right, and they are form-fitting in your hand, with the round circle part where all the motion sensors are.  For the golfing game, you only use the right club (probably the left one for you lefties out there).  I've been just holding it in roughly a golf-stance, and then swinging it up and and down in as close to a golf swing as I can with one hand.  This attachment allows you to actually put your golf swing on it during the game, giving you WAY more feedback than just swinging one-arm would do.  I'm going to get one, just haven't settled on which one yet.  The thing I'm not sure about is how you'd navigate through the round, as you do need to hit buttons to change clubs (you get a full bag, by the way - and the more you progress, the more club options you have (standard is, I believe, a Callaway set, but I for sure saw "Stealth" in the driver section as an upgraded club), navigate your way through, etc.  It would seem like after you swing, you probably just reach down and grab the controller and press whatever buttons you need to, then swing again when you're ready.  Also, looks like some are more expensive than others - I saw some for as much as $75 - just a heads-up.

Lastly, you asked:  "I assume also since you are wearing the headset, that's what you are actually viewing inside the headset.   If you have other people watching (and of course laughing at you) do you also display it on a TV or computer monitor....is this required or just an option.    Say I was going to use if solo use 99% of the time and no one else is around to watch.....and laugh.   Then there is no need to be wired or connected to a monitor screen etc?"

Yeah, that's right - everything is projected in the headset itself.  However, through the app, you can "cast" what you're seeing either to a phone, or to a TV (assuming you can stream from your phone to your TV without issue).  When my wife/kid is playing mini-golf, I usually stream it to the TV so I can watch what they're doing, and give them pointers (if needed).  Same thing here - if you were playing, you could sling it to your TV and then your friends could laugh at all your terrible shots, lol - I mean, gaze in wonder as you make shot after shot 😉

There's no "wired" connection, except for what I was saying earlier about the battery not lasting a huge amount of time (roughly 2 hours if playing online with a buddy (I think the connection and the audio/etc. uses more battery), more if playing locally).  I happen to have a 6 ft USB-C cord (came with my MacBook), and that's what I use if the battery starts to dip.  It's not elegant, for sure, but it gets the job done.  

For what it's worth, you can also create an avatar that looks as much (or as little) like you as you'd like, which is kind of hilarious.  My buddy Andy really does have a goatee and brown hair (but he has legs), so when we were playing, it really is like watching your buddy putt, etc.  And they can see you watching, etc.  

I think Golf + / Quest 2 has kind of nailed the blending of playability/fun with immersion into the course(s).  Pebble is also a fairly extraordinary experience.  I haven't played Kiawah yet, but am looking forward to seeing how many balls I can put in the ocean before crying and ripping the headset off 😉

Awesome write up!

So did you get any real work done today? Hehe

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

Awesome write up!

So did you get any real work done today? Hehe

I also created a PPT table while writing this up, so...I'm VERY proud of myself 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

18 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I 2nd @GolfSpy_APHcomments... great write up... 

I am most interested in the controller at the end of a gripped shaft. and curious about how it feels through the swing compared to IRL? Of course, it isn't giving you the "impact" sensation, but if the weighting is similar, that would be a huge bonus for me.  I have been considering getting the system for the family, and for me, it would be all about the sports interfaces (golf and baseball specifically).  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I enjoy using the meta quest 2, only issue I have really found is on trying to swing the controller like a club. Because your grip is completely different to when you handle a club, the hit can be a little wild. The controller holder looks good, I just fear it will come loose and embed itself in a wall/TV/passing spouse or pet.

The graphics as stated Samsonite become less of an issue when you are playing. It is fun, the putting is really enjoyable. 

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

17 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

am most interested in the controller at the end of a gripped shaft. and curious about how it feels through the swing compared to IRL? Of course, it isn't giving you the "impact" sensation, but if the weighting is similar, that would be a huge bonus for me.  I have been considering getting the system for the family, and for me, it would be all about the sports interfaces (golf and baseball specifically). 

For a baseball-specific-grip, look up "WIN Reality" - it's actually a legit training software (sold through Quest store), but it appears to be a monthly subscription service, and comes with a "bat attachment" - it's a sleeve that slips over the bat and then your controller connects to it.  This might be...less than ideal, unless you have LOTS of room to swing a full-sized baseball bat near other humans, lol.  But I've definitely seen the golf grip being used as a baseball handle (obviously not IDEAL, but pretty close).  I'll update this little write-up after I get a proper golf-handle, and let you know if the "feel" is upgraded, but I kind of can't help but think it will undoubtedly.  

2 minutes ago, gingerbeast87 said:

I enjoy using the meta quest 2, only issue I have really found is on trying to swing the controller like a club. Because your grip is completely different to when you handle a club, the hit can be a little wild. The controller holder looks good, I just fear it will come loose and embed itself in a wall/TV/passing spouse or pet.

Most of them have a holder for the handle as well as a clip/velcro secure wrap over the top of the handle to ensure this very thing doesn't happen.  https://www.glistco.com/products/g-iron-vr-golf-handle has the grip I'm most interested in - been getting bombarded via FB ads for this thing - but it does everything I'm looking for, including being bottom-weighted to simulate the weight of an actual club.  (apparently it's the same price on Amazon, but if you sign up for their "newsletter", you get an extra 10% off - I mean, it's $5...what's a little spam for $5? 🙂 )

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

@Samsonite  That was awesome, and way more than I could have asked for.

The screen shots look great, and yes not as cartoonish as I was fearing, I was fearing something like this when I read cartoonish..ha

image.png

Oh and I know that bunker very well!    

ooops, gotta run to a meeting. I'll be back with more....But thanks a million! 

If I were to play VR golf for the first time, I would be curious to see how well the virtual experience compares to the real thing, and what sort of features and options are available. It would be interesting to see which courses are available to play on and what kind of gameplay and controls are offered. Overall, it's an interesting development in the world of golf and I'm curious to see how it evolves in the future.

PXG 0211

Mizuno JPX 923

Mizuno M Craft V

• 1 year later...

It's been over a year since this thread got any activity. Yesterday, the Meta Quest 2 dropped to $200, and I had a Best Buy gift card, so I ordered one for the family. Eventually, we'll certainly end up buying Golf+. Has anyone else been playing VR golf in the last year? How's your experience been?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It's been over a year since this thread got any activity. Yesterday, the Meta Quest 2 dropped to $200, and I had a Best Buy gift card, so I ordered one for the family. Eventually, we'll certainly end up buying Golf+. Has anyone else been playing VR golf in the last year? How's your experience been?

Golf+ is fantastic. I have a golf grip attachment which definitely enhances the experience and in my opinion is a must have to truly enjoy it. Although most of the courses cost extra due to licensing, it’s well worth grabbing your favorites. Playing online with friends is easy and enjoyable. There is also top golf and other mini games you can enjoy with the family. Cannot recommend it enough. It’s practically the only VR game I play now. 

I've played Pinehurst and Pebble at least 10x each, and it's breathtaking every time. I find the grip-attachment to be... Not necessary to enhance my enjoyment. There's something about it that messes with my head, and I ended up thinking about it more than the shot/course. 

I would consider the add-on courses a must - I believe a few of them come in bundles for a small discount. 

Also, when you get it, let's play a round!!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

I haven't pulled the trigger on Golf+ yet, but I will (awaiting some Meta credit from a subscription). But I played some mini-golf this morning, and I was impressed (Walkabout Mini Golf VR). Shot a 13-under for 18 holes on the introduction course. I'm assuming that's going to translate to the course directly 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I haven't pulled the trigger on Golf+ yet, but I will (awaiting some Meta credit from a subscription). But I played some mini-golf this morning, and I was impressed (Walkabout Mini Golf VR). Shot a 13-under for 18 holes on the introduction course. I'm assuming that's going to translate to the course directly 🙂

Walkabout is absolutely my go-to as far as easy, fun, family-friendly things to do on the Oculus.  My wife, in particular, LOVES it - it's one of the only things golf-related that she actively wants to participate in, lol. 

Excited for you to check out the Golf+ whenever you get it.  I keep meaning to carve out some time after the kids go to bed to play another round, but I'm often just, you know...tired. lol. Stupid middle-age...

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 3/30/2024 at 11:23 AM, GolfSpy SAM said:

Walkabout is absolutely my go-to as far as easy, fun, family-friendly things to do on the Oculus.  My wife, in particular, LOVES it - it's one of the only things golf-related that she actively wants to participate in, lol. 

Excited for you to check out the Golf+ whenever you get it.  I keep meaning to carve out some time after the kids go to bed to play another round, but I'm often just, you know...tired. lol. Stupid middle-age...

We might have to set up a match of mini-golf at some point...

Played a little more last night, and while some might find this absurd, I think there are at least two aspects of VR putting that have the potential to help my real putting:

• When I'm putting my best (in real life), after my last look at the hole, I fix the location of the hole in my mind. For me, I've sometimes imagined having on eye on the side of my head that is still looking at the hole, and that is the substance of my focus as I putt. When I'm VR putting, simply because I don't have a real club and my "technique" is so different from my typical putter, I find myself having a clearer target focus, less technical focus. My hope is to bring that feel to my ordinary putting.
  • I have a very bad habit of using my putter as a tripod leg: instead of establishing my balance clearly in my body and simply "using" the putter, I often take a stance in which, so very subtly, my center of balance is further out in my toes than it ought to be, using the putter itself to offset the imbalance. Obviously, a "virtual" putter doesn't do much to hold up my weight. In addition, I'm often playing VR golf in just socks. It's created an interesting sensation as I set up to virtual putts in which I suddenly feel myself taking a nice, balanced stance before I putt.

For those who read this and are convinced that I'm nuts and overthinking things: um, yes, guilty, that's what I do. That's why I have an account on a golf forum 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

We might have to set up a match of mini-golf at some point...

Played a little more last night, and while some might find this absurd, I think there are at least two aspects of VR putting that have the potential to help my real putting:

• When I'm putting my best (in real life), after my last look at the hole, I fix the location of the hole in my mind. For me, I've sometimes imagined having on eye on the side of my head that is still looking at the hole, and that is the substance of my focus as I putt. When I'm VR putting, simply because I don't have a real club and my "technique" is so different from my typical putter, I find myself having a clearer target focus, less technical focus. My hope is to bring that feel to my ordinary putting.
  • I have a very bad habit of using my putter as a tripod leg: instead of establishing my balance clearly in my body and simply "using" the putter, I often take a stance in which, so very subtly, my center of balance is further out in my toes than it ought to be, using the putter itself to offset the imbalance. Obviously, a "virtual" putter doesn't do much to hold up my weight. In addition, I'm often playing VR golf in just socks. It's created an interesting sensation as I set up to virtual putts in which I suddenly feel myself taking a nice, balanced stance before I putt.

For those who read this and are convinced that I'm nuts and overthinking things: um, yes, guilty, that's what I do. That's why I have an account on a golf forum 🙂

I was actually picturing you trying to balance on the virtual putter and face planting!

Hopefully the virtual practice translates to the course!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 3/22/2024 at 11:55 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

We play randomly when i have  my friends over. Its pretty fun graphics have definitely improved slightly with each update. Only thing to remember is to keep it updated. Often i wont use it for months and end up having to wait an hour for it to update which can be a little annoying. We mostly use it during winter just entertain ourselves. Granted i havent bought the other courses, ive just use the ones that come with the game so i cant answer for those. I wouldnt buy it thinking your going to improve in your actual game but i have used it somewhat to get better with my fade vs draw. The mechanics of it can very slightly help with that aspect

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

1 hour ago, PrismFlopper said:

We play randomly when i have  my friends over. Its pretty fun graphics have definitely improved slightly with each update. Only thing to remember is to keep it updated. Often i wont use it for months and end up having to wait an hour for it to update which can be a little annoying. We mostly use it during winter just entertain ourselves. Granted i havent bought the other courses, ive just use the ones that come with the game so i cant answer for those. I wouldnt buy it thinking your going to improve in your actual game but i have used it somewhat to get better with my fade vs draw. The mechanics of it can very slightly help with that aspect

This is a great point and I'm going to go update it right now, as it's been far too long! 

@GolfSpy MPR - 100% let's get a Walkabout game some night! I would love that - I actually played a random guy a while back and it was one of those "oh my god we're such nerds but this is embarrassingly fun" kinds of things, and we've played a couple times since. Lol. 

And I gotta say, the way you just described the "third leg" syndrome, I wonder if I'm guilty of that as well.  I definitely find that days where I'm putting GREAT, my balance is easy. There are other days where I never feel comfortable and I'm wondering if I'm using the putter as a point of balance instead of my feet.  I'll have to look at that.

My only gripe about the Walkabout is that I can't look down on my beloved Frying Pan DF 2.1 when playing 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Underrated feature of the Walkabout Mini Golf game: every hole has a hidden golf ball somewhere. I've honestly spent more time looking for golf balls than I have hitting putts.

My "find lost golf balls on the course" game this year is going to be absolutely dialed.

Full WITB with pictures