TESTERS WANTED! ×

2022 Official Member Review: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1X White Box

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

To go directly to the testers reviews/updates click on their links below. Find a tester you enjoy reading? Go to their profile page and give them a follow or follow the thread itself to be notified of when there are new posts!

@mikeanthony Review Here
@JerryB             Review Here
@yungkory        Review Here
@CarlH               Review Here
@daviddvm       Review Here
@vandyland      Review Here
@ZMendle10    Review Here
@RichL85          Review Here
@PeterHenric   Review Here
@Mr. Mushball  Review Here

Hello, my name is Carl and I’m thrilled to be chosen to test and review these golf balls!  Let me start off with a brief introduction to myself and my game.  I didn’t start playing the game of golf until I was in my mid-30s and even then I didn’t have opportunity to play very often as I spent a lot of time at sea onboard nuclear submarines.  After completing my 20 years with the US Navy, I went back to school and completed my degree in business and finance, spent a few years as a stock broker, but traveled too much on my wife’s career.  I got really active with golf when I retired and after some lessons and golf schools I was able to get from being unable to break 100 to around a 15 handicap player.  I eventually worked my way to a single digit player and have remained so for the last 20+ years, typically between a 6-10 handicap player.  I recently moved to Hot Springs Village AR and am currently playing 3-4 days a week at Diamante CC.

The strength of my game is my putting and my biggest weakness is wedges inside 40 yards.   At the age of 71, I no longer am able to boom the driver out there and, as a result, I’ve become much more proficient with my fairway woods, hybrid, and longer irons.  You can see my bag makeup in my signature.  I do have room for one more club in my bag, but haven’t decided which direction to go with that.  I’m currently gaming MaxFli Tour X golf balls, which replaced the Snell MTB-X that I played prior to that.  Before Snell, I was playing Taylor Made TP-5 X balls.  While I have played and enjoy playing Titleist Pro V1 balls, I choose not to do so because everyone seems to play them and I like being able to easily determine which ball is mine and avoid the penalties of hitting the wrong ball.  I do not have access to launch monitors, so my testing will be based on real course experiences.  I will do my best to give you an honest and unbiased review of the 348 and 388 Proto balls that I received, comparing the two balls, as well as comparing them against my current gamer and a few other balls that I have in my arsenal.

IMG_0596.jpeg.a74b38553e42c8c302d59872fec092d3.jpeg

**First Impressions**:  I was given a box of 348 Proto and a box of 388 Proto Titelist golf balls for my use for this review.  Both boxes were a plain white box with the only identifying marks on the box being a simple label.  Inside each box were 4 sleeves of golf balls in a simple white box with no identifying markers, each containing 3 balls.  One sleeve of the 348 Proto balls was short one ball.  I am not aware of whether this was a quality control issue at the factory or if one was some how misplaced prior to delivery.  All of the balls received appeared free from any manufacturing defects.  The balls were a bright, glossy white, typical of other Titleist Pro V balls.  The 388 Proto ball was identified by a black number 1, while the 348 Proto balls used a red number.  All balls were numbered 1.

I took both balls to the practice facilities to experience them with putting, chipping, and pitch shots to determine feel off the club and performance on the greens.  Following time spent on the practice facilities, I took the balls out for play on the course.  I alternated balls, sometimes between rounds, sometimes between 9s, and sometimes I would hit both balls from the same place for a more direct comparison.  Both balls performed excellent in all categories.

I typically play 3 to 4 times a week and used these balls almost exclusively during my testing period.  I did play a few rounds with other premium golf balls for some comparison.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a launch monitor, so all of my testing and my comments will be based on actual play and subjective feel.  IMG_0591.jpeg.0b16ff4ae753ae2702d9604c6fe07aff.jpeg

**Looks and Durability**: (12 of 15 points) The ball looks like every other Titleist ball, so nothing surprising there.  The white is a bright, glossy white and I found no defects in the paint or print on the balls.  They respond reasonable well to normal play, although one ball did develop a burr shortly after play began that may have been a defect from the box, as I don’t think that it hit anything abnormal prior to me noticing the flaw.  I typically do not play a ball for more than one or two rounds and these balls did not exhibit serious scuff marks or damage than might be expected.  Of course, balls that struck the cart paths or other objects scuffed, as would any other ball.

**Sound and Feel**: (15 of 15 points) Both balls sound and feel great.  The 348 (ProV1 X model) felt firmer than did the 388, which was also firm.  Feel off the putter differences were noticeable, but neither ball was too firm or clicky for my tastes.  Off the irons and woods, they both felt solid.IMG_0614.jpeg.6b916dbca97be994ef36f48136d7062f.jpeg

**On-Course Performance**: (40 of 40 points). While neither ball could correct this users swing faults, both performed flawlessly.  The 388 had good spin characteristics on the greens and good distances of full shots.  348 had noticeably more spin on the greens, in a few cases backing up quite a bit on well struck full short irons.  Off the tee, they may have been a touch longer than the 388s, but without a monitor available, that is just speculation on my part.  Both balls putt extemely well, rolling true.  While there is no empirical evidence to support my belief, but I do think that I played better with the 348 than I did with the 388 ball.  This doesn’t surprise me (and it may well be the reason for my thoughts on it) because I typically play a Maxfli Tour X, which is closer to the ProV1x in performance.

**Miscellaneous**: (8 of 10 points). As noted earlier, one sleeve of balls was missing a ball upon delivery.  

**Game Bag or Shag Bag**: (15 of 20 points). At my skill level (handicap around 8 on average), neither of these balls were head over heels better than my current gamer (Maxfli Tour-X) or other premium balls that I have played, including Snell, Taylor Made TP5, or Bridgestone tour balls.  Because of the price point differences and minimal performance advantages, I do not think that these balls will replace my choice of balls and I will remain playing Maxfli.

**Conclusion**:  Titleist continues with a strong performing golf ball with both the 348 and the 388 models.  Sadly, I don’t have access to a launch monitor to get into the nitty-gritty differences between these balls versus prior versions or other premium golf balls and can only report the findings that I found on the course during practice and actual play.  During my testing period, I played either the 388 or the 348 primarily, only playing a competing ball on a few occasions for comparison purposes.  At times, I played the same ball the full 18, while at other times I might switch types after 9.  During one practice round, I did hit both balls from the same locations in an attempt to compare spin, distance, and flight.  My preference at the end of the testing period leaned toward the 348 as my preferred ball, however the green side spin was significantly more aggressive than the 388, which could be an issue for some.  I did like the feel of the 348 on the green better, but I liked the sound of the 388 better.  Off the tee, the 348 “may” have been a touch longer, but both balls gave me my expected distances both off woods and irons.  I would likely choose to play Titleist Pro model balls over similarly priced tour balls, however there is a significant price point jump without significant performance over my current gamer (Maxfli Tour X) and for that reason, I will likely continue to play my gamer.

**Final Score**:  90 of 100. 
Pros:  Great performance, quality of ball is excellent, durability good
Cons:  PriceIMG_0616.jpeg.61bf8bd2cf7c6bf0b63c4d2afd6c7f57.jpeg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

10-30-2022

Titleist White Box ProV1 and ProV1x Prototype 

Official MGS Member Testing By daviddvm

Introduction

Hi guys and gals, great to be back reviewing for you all here at my home for golf MGS! 

I live in a suburban city just outside Houston Texas. So this is a great time of year in this area to play golf. I should be able to play consistently throughout our testing period. I’ve played golf since junior high school. But I have only been able to play frequently and consistently the last 15 years of my 64 years! I’m 6’02” and weigh 200 lb. 

This will be my third time involved in ball testing. The first ball testing I was involved in was 2019 after winning a Wilson D7 driver and a dozen Wilson Professional balls here in a MGS Masters Contest. This was an unofficial test but gave me my introduction to being a tester here at MGS.

In 2020 I was fortunate enough to be a tester for Bridgestone White Box Prototype Tour B RXS balls. I played the Bridgestone Tour B RXS up until this year. But changed to the Titleist -ProV1x to start 2022 after seeing the results of the most recent MGS Ball Tests. I will be evaluating these prototypes by their performance in my bag during actual play as tracked by Arccos. I have used arccos to track my play since 2019. I’m currently a 10 handicap, I drive the ball 240-250 on average, my ball flight is high fade hitting above 50% fairways, my area that needs the most work is approach with mid irons. I will start my testing with the new Titleist Proto balls this weekend with a little putting on the back porch BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green.  

Prototypes with my current gamer in the middle. 

19648F1A-C1DD-4310-8777-8C01F9E6DDFC.jpeg.84697be5f59fdb8f5da0ee9cb53c52da.jpegDB52B1A6-378D-494E-A871-13CFED9F5953.jpeg.ac699f42285d60d38b59967c09f66b7e.jpeg

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Vandyland Proto 348 and 388 Review

627DF636-3EF5-42B0-906B-B5BE4297E9C1.jpeg

Introduction:

To introduce myself, I am in my late 30s and I have been playing golf for about 9 years. For me, I need a golf ball that feels fairly soft on pitch shots as I like that feedback but doesn’t sacrifice a ton of ball speed to do so. I have historically played balls that are middle of the road spin-wise and compression wise (currently Snell MTB Black) but have also dabbled with softer balls.

Stats (as of a week ago):

Driver Swing Speed: 102-105 mph
Average Carry / Total : 250 yds / 270 yds
Launch Angle: 13-17 degrees
Spin Rate with Driver: 2400-2600 rpm
Handicap: 4.5 – 6.5
Baseline numbers with the Snell MTB Black which is my current gamer:

image.png.10fd942bf7a20562a2cd2dee3803fcf1.png

Typical ball flight with driver is a draw and same with irons, wedges are straight or a slight push. Per strokes gained, the strengths of my game against someone of a similar handicap are Driving and Putting and weaknesses are short game and approach (specifically approaches greater than 150 yds).

First Impressions

I have to admit I was very excited to be doing "prototype" testing. I thought the way the boxed the balls was interesting since there is no clear "this is a prov1 vs prov1x" indicated on the box. It just says "Proto 348" or "Proto 388" on the ball so I didn't have any preconceived notions about the ball. I didn't know off the top of my head which dimple pattern belonged to which ball so I was able to go in, effectively, blind. I went into this thinking I would struggle around the greens (due to firmness/compression) and that it would take very compelling numbers (good consistency on spin and distance and control) to get them into my bag. I had recently moved into some lower compression balls so I was thinking I may not get along with the Prototypes. 
6052870C-20C1-496B-A6D2-4A792C555D26.jpeg

3C9CD6B5-E56D-4DCD-953A-A646510657CD.jpeg

131EF88B-ACD2-4DB8-A3D2-72628B2F951A.jpeg

For testing, I hit these on Trackman (indoors) over multiple sessions. I also played with the Protoypes exclusively for the last several months in weather ranging from dry and 70 degrees to wet and 30 degrees and everything in between. All told, it is approximately 11 rounds with these balls and 3 Trackman sessions. 

Looks/Durability (14/15):

The graphics and packaging are a bit spartan, which I prefer. I don't like busy graphics or too much going with my golf balls. These are like a classic tuxedo that just always seems to fit the occasion. The durability was tested since I managed to keep the same ball for 4+ rounds (which I indicated with a sharpie mark for each round):

5A4AABB7-9B62-4A57-A415-3EC2F6022458.jpeg

Now, at this point I would probably remove a ball from rotation once it had this much road rash. It has been through 90+ holes of golf and hit a couple cartpaths but it is still fairly smooth. Honestly this is pretty standard for a premium ball. I will ding it one point as I had this similar "road rash" affect on other balls that seems a tad bit more pronounced than I am used to. 

The alignment aid is small but effective. I line up putts and this was fine for purpose. I would say both balls feel harder in the hand than my Snell and definitely my Tour Responses but that lines up with the Compression rating and such. 

Sound/Feel (14/15):

This is the hardest part of the test, I could not feel really any difference between this ball or any of the others off the Driver. On the irons it felt "heavy" which I think of as a good thing as I felt like I could "locate" strikes better than the softer ball (Tour Response) and it felt slightly "springier" than the Snell MTB Black. I would not describe either ball as "soft" feeling on any shot. Not harsh but they feel dense and slightly clicky. When squeezing the balls in my hand and stepping on them they are on the harder end of anything I have but not any different than the 2022 ProV1 line. Indoors, the clickyness was more pronounced (to me) and I didn't really notice it as much outside. I actually hear the sound difference the most on partial shots and wedge shots. I will say, hitting 50 yd shots was jarring at first because the ball sounded a tad "bladed" or harsh inside when, in fact, the shots were centered. Again, I think all high compression balls would do this so I don't penalize Titleist for that. 

Off the putter both prototypes felt fairly "fast" but, again, I could not feel a difference between the 348 and 388 off the putter face, nor was there a big difference against the 2022 ProV1 line. But against a Tour Response, oh yes, these were much quicker off the putter. The sound did not impact me but the feel on the putter did a tad. There was an adjustment period since I was coming from the Snell (fairly similar) but more so the tour response (much lower compression) so that was a big change. Seemin

I did try to compare the Prototypes against the 2022 Pro V1 and Pro V1x and I could not tell any difference between the models (from a sound or feel perspective). That was well beyond my capabilities. 

On Course Performance (38/40)

Where the rubber truly meets the road. Since I play a ball that purports to mimic the Pro V1, I was interested to see how things stacked up against my Snell. I found myself gravitating toward the 348 Proto since it was seemingly better for distance control but still gets out there a long ways. Distance was definitely adequate. I found the 348 to be about 4 yds longer and the 388 to be about 3 yds longer vs my gamer. I didn't find the ball particularly hard to control and driving was certainly good. The 388 and 348 seemed to fly higher than my Snell but slightly lower than the Tour Response. 

The ball was responsive to my limited workability powers. Both the 348 and 388 hit and held greens and could be flighted up and down. I pretty much only play a draw and they were reliable on that front, the 348 seemed to be less spinny and moved a bit less off the driver and irons vs the 388. 

The height was an issue in the wind as shots tended to get knocked down (more than usual) so I worked harded to flight the ball. I would not say they "ballooned" but they definitely would launch high if I wasn't careful. 

These balls are quite responsive around the greens BUT this is also where the feel and sound started to come in. The balls start to feel and sound hard on partial shots and, especially in the colder air, I could really tell a difference. I have to admit I missed the feeling of the ball "sticking" on the face a little longer with the softer compression balls. This is one area I had trouble adjusting to the 348 and 388. Again, these are not excessively hard and felt similar to a TP5x or similar tour ball. 

Putting was also a change, the ball is rather quick (to me) off the putter face and "pops" a bit. This is helpful on slow green but on downhill, speedy putts it was a bit scary. 

I was pleased with the distance boost and higher flight (on calm days) but I found the harder feel a bit unpleasant in the cold and on partial shots and putts. 

For my scores, I feel like I have been playing great golf as of late as the main thing this ball does is "consistent shot shape". I found it very reliable for that on full shots. My driving was very consistent and that contributed to lower scores though I think I gave a few shots back around the green and putting. 

Misc (9/10)

This will sound stupid but I don't want to just default to Pro V1. I like to be different. This test made me think maybe I have been stupid all along. The ball flies so consistently (especially the Proto 348) for me and the spin was just very consistent ball to ball and shot to shot. Of course I mis hit shots but on center-ish strikes these balls just do the same thing over and over. 

Game Bag or Shag Bag (19/20)

On a warm day I could play either ball. On a cold day I probably opt for the 388 (though I would likely prefer a softer compression ball) and on a windy day I remind myself to flight the ball down and play a 348 but the height on a driver is still fairly high for an into the wind shot. So yes, these are game balls on many days but probably not EVERY day. 

Conclusion

These are still great balls and while there were not any ground breaking changes, I think that is a good thing. The balls fly high and spin consistently shot to shot. They can be a tad firm and the outer cover can be a tad fragile in certain conditions but overall they went higher and farther than my gamer. I have an appendix below this review that shows the 348 (my preferred ball) against the 2022 ProV1x and I noted that the proto (for me) spins less on slower swings, more on faster swings and the proto flies noticeably higher. Overall, there is a reason these balls are trusted, they flat out perform. 

Final Score: 94

----------------------------------------------------------------END OF REVIEW-----------------------------------------------------------

APPENDIX // See this post below for raw numbers (click the arrow button in top right corner of link below) that compares Protos vs Snell MTB Black vs Tour Response

348 Proto vs 2022 ProV1x:

I cannot profess to "feel" a difference between these two so I figured I would go on Trackman and side by side them. I threw out any horrendous strikes (of which there were few today!) and I switched back and forth between balls every 3 shots. Akin to the numbers above, I did a 50 yd pitch shot, full GW, full 7 iron and Driver (which is also currently in Otto-Phlex mode) --

image.png.ef8a4c4f85f3de1a5494d6e86a4171d1.png

image.png.d08d24ae87d809c59486fd817b9131c4.png

So on the 50 yd shot there is not a ton of difference though I was getting higher spin out of the 2022 ProV1x. 

image.png.9cf59d2d533231bafe4809e8ff810f90.png

image.png.cf8595d2ad77207b1ba9361715e3395c.png

The spin story held true for the full GW as well. Also, I would say there was a compelling difference in height with the 2022 ProV1x flying higher as well.

image.png.c245c3c5c942a74d90a3f0e83218d44c.png

image.png.71aa219114fcf09d0368f15ce0511d5e.png

Now, the Proto 348 started to take over on the 7 iron. The spin is up for the Proto 348 on a full 7 iron vs the 2022 model. Additionally, so is peak height. I decided to throw in my trusty Hybrid (18*) that I am loving these days to see how the numbers bear out.

image.png.5caf9826bb10ccfe7aaa65a9f016eeeb.png

image.png.e3c5b97b90eeadeb33062345fb81bdb0.png

348 proto flies higher and spins more, albeit not significantly.

So, now onto Driver though I should say I am a bit inconsistent on strike with Driver so that could very well influence the numbers --

image.png.b357c277d5a599125f256c9f049fa093.png

image.png.e3d524c0e9b65d2ed64dada616863a33.png

For some reason I was swinging 3 mph faster on the proto (not intentional). So if I try to find two similar strikes and look at the 105.2 club speeds in the two populations I note that spin seems a tad higher for the 348 proto on a similar strike. Height is significantly higher even though launch angles are similar. 

So my takeaways are that the Proto 348 spins less on slower shots and more on faster swings vs the 2022 ProV1x and launches higher (higher peak height), notably on full swings. There is not a HUGE amount of difference here.

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

First off would like to thank the moderators and powers that be for the opportunity to test the new Pro V1’s. For a little about me, I am in my mid 30’s, currently located in central California, but do travel down closer to LA frequently for work. I started golfing in college, but took an extended break for about 13 years until I picked it back up late in 2021. Marriage, moving, new jobs, kids, and everything else just didn’t leave time. Now that things are more stable in my life, and with a greater understanding of my own personal mental health, I’m back to taking better care of myself. For me, that includes making time to go to the gym and more golf.

In terms of my game, I’m a work in progress. I’m currently sitting around a 15 handicap, partially from not playing enough, and partially from throwing a grenade or two (or the occasional handful) at my scorecard each round. Previously, I had been typically alternating golf balls periodically trying to find something I like. A few that I have liked in the past are the Srixon Z Star XV, the TM Tour Response, and the Bridgestone Tour B RX. I tend to hit the ball fairly high with my irons, but the driver has been giving issues with low trajectory recently. I would like to find a ball that will give me a bit of extra height with the driver, without ballooning my irons even higher. I also like having access to greenside spin as my course has some pretty small greens in places. My personal swing problems leave me in some, let’s call them, interesting, spots so having a range of options for the shot is important to me. Recently, my miss has been the low left pull off the tee, or the push right with the irons.

Last year I replaced all of my 15 year old clubs, so now I’m looking to eliminate another variable and find a ball to play all the time. Despite being an analytical, numbers type at work, I am very much a feel player when it comes to golf. I look for a ball that feels good off the face, and most importantly, performs consistently so that I can play my game instead of feeling like I’m fighting the equipment. There is nothing quite as demoralizing to me as hitting a shot that feels and looks good off the club, just to see it suddenly drop out of the air like it got shot.

Unfortunately, between a bit of a crazy schedule with work and some absolutely uncooperative weather in the area, I did not get to do as much on course testing as I wanted, but I was able to get them out for a couple of rounds and plenty of short game practice. My usual course has a decent practice green and bunker to work on that area of my game that I really need to take advantage of more often than I do.

As soon as we received the prototypes, I took them to hit some putts just to get a feel for the difference. In addition to the short game practice area at my usual course, I also took both balls out to a nearby Par 3 course for testing. The course is rarely busy so I was able to play both balls at the same time through the rounds. Taking the prototypes to my usual course for a couple of rounds during rather busy times, the best I was able to do was rotate which ball I was using in order to give them as fair of a test as I could without inconveniencing everyone else out on the course. Sometimes this meant using one ball for the front 9 and the other for the back 9, other times it meant swapping each hole. In addition to the on-course testing, I also took the prototypes along with another ball I have been gaming recently, the Maxfli TourX to the local golf shop and used their launch monitor to get some numbers.

image.png.76c9a4ef827feba0f67dccf6ff378ee0.png
7-Iron with the Proto 348

image.png.c4871663ada118d90a4aaae5f15575de.png
7-Iron with the Proto 388

Looks and Durability (13 of 15)

It’s hard to say too much about the looks of a golf ball that isn’t something like the Vice Drip. As expected, these have the appearance of what you would expect a Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x to look like. Obviously whatever small change Titleist makes to the alignment aid part of the ball is not something that we get to see, but there are only some subtle differences in the balls on their own. The Proto 348 uses a red number and more larger dimples while the Proto 388 uses black numbers and more of the smaller dimples. The covers feel very similar between the two, so I was not sure how much difference to expect around the green.

image.png.e9e833e10b395a5d2a0f01458fe6612c.png

Durability is one area where I feel like Titleist stands above some of their competition. These things were able to take some abuse. I took both and hit quite a few shots out of the practice bunker with each one, and only saw primarily superficial damage. Some small scrapes and discoloring of the cover, but this would be after 10-15 shots out of the bunker. I have cut a Srixon Z Star XV with an 8-iron off the tee before, so the durability of both of the prototypes was impressive.

image.png.dd7bc37dc454ce77d60e17aa2973d615.png

image.png.ee97ee3d2871112668f6c0a44dcdea09.png

It’s difficult to give a fair grade on these with regards to things like packaging and alignment aids when neither of those were given to the testers. We received plain white boxes with a sticker indicating which product was in each box, and the balls simply had the Proto name of the ball on the side.

Sound and Feel (12 of 15)

It was immediately noticeable that the Proto 348 had a more pronounced “clicky” sound to it off the putter when I first hit it. This sound difference was noticeable throughout the bag, so if you are especially sensitive to that sound, it may be an issue for you. Personally, I preferred the sound and feel of the Proto 388 throughout the test, but sound and feel doesn’t result in scores out on the course. I would love to find a ball that had the sound and feel of the Proto 388, but with the flight and spin of the Proto 348.

image.png.601386832e94b43cadf8679c46aef19e.png
58 degree wedge with the Proto 348

image.png.00dae98cecee4134f8b556ec94151b99.png
58 degree wedge with the Proto 388

One interesting thing about the perceived feel difference between the two balls, is that it is almost 100% related to the sound difference on contact. During a few of my practice sessions, I would have earphones in listening to music, and the “feel” difference was almost imperceptible. I know that this has been mentioned numerous times on the forum before, but it was an interesting note.

On Course Performance (39 of 40)

Both prototypes performed well, but my personal scoring was better on average with the Proto 348. I believe that most of this is simply because I am more familiar with this type of ball. The 388 was stopping faster for me on shorter shots around the green, leaving me some longer putts. I just wasn’t able to convert as many of these longer first putts that I was left with using the Proto 388. This is obviously something that I could adjust my game for, but this is only part of the test. This was mainly determined while playing both balls at the same time at the Par 3 course where I was able to take the same shots with both. Throughout the testing, I felt that the Proto 348 was a little more versatile for me, where I could get the spin around the green if I needed, but I could also play the ball lower and let it roll without fear of it grabbing and stopping short. I didn’t have the same confidence with the Proto 388.

At the end of the rounds, my score did not seem to be particularly affected by the ball, but there were some noticeable performance differences. The Proto 348 tended to fly higher off the driver, and on average flew farther for me. Farthest drive with the Proto 388 I was able to hit according to my Shotscope data was 253, whereas I had 260 and 270 from the Proto 348. Nothing impressive to many of the users on this forum, but I have mentioned many times that driver is a huge problem club for me right now. I tried to get some launch monitor data for this test but the numbers I was able to get should be taken with a grain of salt. The golf shop uses a Flightscope launch monitor hitting indoors without the metallic dots, so any spin data would be questionable at best. What I did see was higher launch angles and higher spin pretty much across the clubs I hit with the Proto 348. I had a bit of a hard time believing that the Proto 348 was spinning more when I was seeing the 388 stop a lot quicker around the greens.

image.png.3c6938504a593548dce462511ad45b61.png               image.png.5133e35bbb63f660aaf293711088109e.png

Personally, I do not have enough experience with the latest generation of Titleist balls to compare against to determine whether these handle the wind better or not, but I did feel that the Proto 388 performed a little better in the wind for me. The Proto 348 manages to get up above the trees at my course easily and the wind really started pushing it around occasionally, especially hitting into the wind. This led one of the Proto 348’s to a watery grave in an otherwise solid round.

Did these prototype balls helps me shoot lower scores? Yes, and no. They have been extremely consistent in performance and how they react, especially around the greens, but they are not a magic pill for my game. The best way I can describe these Titleist offerings is consistent. They do exactly what I expect them to do 99% of the time, and the one time they don’t, there are outside circumstances that I did not properly account for.

Miscellaneous (9 of 10)

Since I am not one that uses the ProV1 or ProV1x regularly, I enlisted the help of a playing partner to give me some comparisons between the previous model and this one. He typically plays the ProV1 in his weekly leagues (must be nice to get ProV1s for free!), so I let him try the Proto 388 for a few holes. The best description he could give me of the ball was, “It’s a ProV1.” 

Game Bag or Shag Bag (18 of 20)

Golf ball performance? Excellent. Consistency between balls in sleeves? Amazing. Am I switching to one? I’m undecided as of now.

Please don’t get me wrong. The Proto 348 and 388 are both excellent balls and deliver what they promise. The Proto 348 gives me amazing performance around the course, and the Proto 388 gives me a great experience in terms of feel and sound. If there is ever a ball that can combine the positive aspects of each into one product, I’ll switch today. However, I have not found that ball yet, and while I loved practicing with and gaming the Proto 348, it’s not perfect for me. My game also has the occasional day where I find myself 2 or 3 (or sometimes more) balls lighter by the end of the round) and that can get expensive at $50/dozen.

If money were no object, I would absolutely game the Proto 348 until I am able to find the ideal ball. In the meantime, for me, the performance is not far enough above some other options I’ve tried at a lower price point. I will game the rest of these balls until they can go into my shag bag for short game practice because they are just so consistent in their reaction and I like the durability I’ve seen so far. While they are both great balls, I am not at a point in life or my golf game that I absolutely need the performance when compared to something like the Maxfli Tour X.

Conclusion

If there ever comes a day when I need to hit a golf shot with money or a loved one’s life on the line, I am hitting a Titleist. At a time like that, I need something that is consistent and will perform exactly as I expect it to. Both the Proto 348 and 388 did exactly that throughout the test and performed admirably while having surprisingly good durability. It’s clear after testing these balls for the past weeks why the Titleist ProV1 is such a popular choice, as there is very little to complain about when it comes to performance. It takes splitting hairs and really focusing on the differences between the two to find any faults. For myself, those faults are that the performance of the Proto 348 does not match up with the lovely soft feel and solid acoustics of the Proto 388. Instead the 348 sounds clicky and that translates to a harsher feel. So unless I can play golf with earplugs in, I am left with an unpleasant auditory experience but excellent performance with the Proto 348, or a pleasant sensory experience that comes with ball performance that doesn’t meet the needs of my game. I can fully understand why these balls are considered the best of the best, but I don’t believe that they are the best for me at regular cost. I am more than willing to accept gifts or donations of either ball and will proudly game them.

The Proto 348 is too loud. The Proto 388 flies too low and spins too much. Where can I find Goldilocks?

Final Score: 91 of 100

image.png

Edited by RichL85
Review posted.

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 4 w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6- 
3 Wood: PXG 0341XF Gen 4 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70g
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Spornia SPG-7 hitting net review
2023 Titleist White Box ProV1 review

Hell yeah! This is the second time I have been able to do a test for the MGS guys and I’m really looking forward to it. A little about me: Growing up, I rode dirt bikes and BMX bikes. The only times I ever golfed was at the local par 3 course and that was just to screw around a little bit. If I ever got to play at a normal course, my favorite part of golfing was driving the carts. 😆

My Dad grew up on Congressional Country Club but he was more interested in spending his time at the swimming pool than on the course. His dad and brothers were the golfers of the family. As I grew up and got to start playing golf for work, that’s when I fell in love with the game. I wish now that I would have had the opportunity to play more as a kid but I don’t know if I would have been able to handle it mentally. I was more into going fast on something with a motor or catching air on something with 2 wheels. Now that I’m absolutely hooked on the game, I play once or twice a week with a regular group of friends. It is the highlight(s) of my week. My 13 year old son is getting interested in playing golf so he and I will start taking lessons together this year and we will spend some time on the simulator.

When I first started golfing seriously, I had no choice but to play the Kirkland golf balls. I was so terrible that I couldn’t afford to pay $4 per ball for a better ball because I lost too many per round. Because of the MGS guys, I wouldn’t ever play balls I found on the course or in the water, and I never play refurbished balls. As the years have gone by, I am at the point where I rarely lose a golf ball unless it’s because I shorted it over the water. I can finally afford to pay and play with quality golf balls now.  

My favorite balls right now are the Taylormade Tour Response, Titleist AVX, and the Titleist ProV1. The key to a great game for me is keeping it in play off the tee (duh) so higher spin balls can accentuate my fade and sometimes turn it into a slice. We will see how the new V1X cooperates with my swing since it is supposed to be a spinny-er ball.

I decided to deviate from the typical format of a review. I think I’ve got a decent idea that will apply to you all and hopefully be unique. My plan for these new balls is as follows:

Step 1: Compare them side by side with the current V1 and V1X on the chipping green. See if one seems to spin more/less or if I can even see a trajectory difference. 

Step 2: Take them to my local Par 58 course where I can get lots of iron shots in. I’ll go in the afternoon when no one is behind me so I’m not holding up pace of play.

Step 3: They go in the bag on a real course and see how they perform off the driver.

Step 4: Use my recently acquired Bushnell Launch Pro to get some quantifiable performance differences between the new and old balls.

Looking at the balls side by side with the previous versions, I don’t honestly see any difference between them when it comes to dimple pattern. It was mentioned earlier that wind resistance was supposed to be better in these, I’ll be very surprised if they are any different as that is usually a dimple pattern thing. Time will tell as we do get a fair amount of windy days out here in Vegas.

I’m really excited to see how this all unfolds. Onto the test!

Step 1 (Chipping performance):

In regards to the Prototype 388 and the current ProV1, could I tell any difference between them on the chipping green? In one word, no. I would set up at different areas of the chipping green and hit back to back shots with each type of ball (mixing them back and forth). If I didn’t know that I was actually hitting different balls, I would have guessed they were the same. Sometimes I would make sure that I didn’t know which ball I was hitting to see if I could see/feel a difference. I couldn’t.

In regards to the Prototype 348 and the current ProV1X, I THINK I could actually feel a difference. The only really thing I would mention is that the 348 seemed to “pop” a little more than the V1X. I don’t recall if they checked up any more but they seemed to fly just a tad higher.

Step 2 (On course iron play):

I went out a few times to my local par 58 to get a feel for these balls and side by side iron comparison. Initially, I was really bummed that I couldn’t tell ANY difference between the new and old balls. There is obviously still a difference between the different models but not anything I could tell between the prototypes and the current release balls. It wasn’t until just recently that it dawned on me that there shouldn’t be a drastic performance between the new and old balls. These are iterative releases. Little tweaks to make it better. Maybe so little that I can’t discern the difference?

Step 3 (On course Driver play):

See my response from step 2. I can’t tell any difference between the new and old balls on the course. Bummer.

Step 4 (Bushnell Launch Pro testing):

Let’s start off with the ProV1 and Proto 388.

63D31212-5037-4D5A-9905-29CC785C5956.jpeg.fe8b470aa99c5f6c70d757a04a472a50.jpeg

I know that I’m probably bumming out the MGS guys for doing a test with such a limited amount of shots but I’m sure they will forgive me. According to my limited and probably flawed data (due to my inconsistent swing), here is what I saw. The 388 appears to be a tad spinnier and potentially a tad faster off the club face. Is 300 rpm in the margin of error? If so, maybe they spin the same but are faster and therefore go a tad farther. If you gave me both balls and made me do a blind ball test, I would honestly probably tell you that I was given the placebo and they were actually identical balls. 

5D40BCE3-1505-48C0-A8D1-EE92B5ED8FA8.jpeg.44192289a9c46c36a8a1621d9f5444b0.jpeg

This is the current ProV1 courtesy of MGS Ball Lab.

FBB7602E-C35E-41A9-BBFC-4C45D82D86A5.jpeg.025f636ba69dda9b8508c6ea9be360ca.jpeg

This is the 388 Proto.

These 2 balls look identical when placed side by side. I know they say that it takes a minute amount of difference in dimple pattern to incite a performance difference. According to my eyes, there is no difference in the dimple pattern at all. I can’t feel any difference between the 2 balls when hitting but my friend says he thinks the 388 feels softer off the face. Your mileage may vary.

As you can see from the photos, the core and mantle colors have changed but the dimensions seem very similar. It doesn’t appear that they made any sizing changes. Once ball lab for this ball comes out, Mr Covey will be able to tell us if the new ball is softer/firmer, etc.

When it comes to on course performance, I do really like the performance of the 388. It doesn’t launch too high or have too much spin. It’s a great ball and I would play it any day of the week. The Pro V1 is an amazing ball and this one is no different.

On to the Pro V1X and the Proto 348.

7961962F-77BA-41D6-9A87-E86EDE3B5DAD.jpeg.4bb43f7cbb271b1ae08c4c95caa84ef4.jpeg

Looking through the data for the 348 and the V1X, it appears to me as though the 348 spins just a tad less than the V1X. Again, not knowing what would be considered a significant or otherwise difference in performance, the 348 averaged about 300 rpm less than the V1X. All the other metrics were very close to each other.

5E801709-8EDC-4038-82BD-9C60421A79CD.jpeg.906218ca81646e78fabb6421af3f6aba.jpeg

The above photo is the current ProV1X courtesy of the MGS Ball Lab.

830B3CAD-80C2-4AB4-BC4A-BAB8F4D582AC.jpeg.382adcd82923ed19771384abaa67a08d.jpeg

This is the Proto 348.

Like the Pro V1 and 388, I cannot see any difference in the dimple patterns between the V1X and the 348. Side by side, my eye says they are identical. The internals show that they changed the size of the core and mantle. The core is a little bit bigger and the mantle is a little bit smaller. Mr. Covey might be able to tell you what that would theoretically do to spin characteristics. Based on my BLP data, it appears as though it brought the spin down just a tad.

On course performance was essentially identical between the V1X and the 348. They are a higher launching ball compared to the V1/388 with a little more spin. If anyone knows anything about the current V1/V1X, you don’t need me to give you a rundown of how these balls feel. If we would have been able to try a limited release ball like the left dot, I would have gone into the sound/feel/performance difference between that and the other balls.

When you compare the metrics of all 4 of these balls, it is surprising how much higher and farther the 348 goes than the 388. Launch angle for the 388 was 12.3º compared to 16.3º of the 348. Carry was 144 and 157 respectively. I know this is a limited sample size but it was kind of surprising. One note is that my club head speed for the 388 was averaging 1.3mph slower than the 348. I know that will make a difference in these metrics so keep that in mind. Your mileage will most likely vary.

One of our goals on this test/review is to tell you all whether these balls are good or not and how they perform. Everyone knows that Titleist quantifiably make the best balls and these are no different. They are great balls! Since these balls are the future releases of the Pro V1X and Pro V1, I thought that I would take a little different approach and try and see if I could quantify any performance differences between the current and future releases. The hope for me was that if it was a minor performance difference that a person could continue to play the old ball and maybe even get a discount on said balls when they go on sale because the new balls are coming out. Losing a $4 golf ball is never fun, losing a $3 golf ball is slightly better. Golf is expensive enough as it is. If you could play very similar balls and pay less then that is a win. 😬

Now the big question, are the new balls better in any meaningful way? My opinion is that they aren’t. I will be curious to see if the other testers feel differently. It was mentioned somewhere that these new balls are potentially supposed to perform better in windy conditions. Like I had said before, the dimple patterns look identical so I don’t know how/why they would perform differently in the wind. If I saw the current V1/X on the shelves at a discounted rate or the 388/348 at full MSRP, my money would undoubtedly go to the discounted V1/X. Old balls and new, they are all high quality.

Once these balls are officially released and the MGS guys get to do their writeups, I will be very curious what they and the marketing guys have to say about what makes these new balls so much better than the current releases.

One unexpected consequence of this test for me was that it opened my eyes to how different balls play and what they can do for or against my game. I actually really liked the iron spin of the 348 but preferred the driver trajectory of the 388. Green side spin for both was similar. Would I play either of these when they come out? Absolutely. Would I pay more for them than the current release if they were to get discounted? No.

I want to thank MGS for picking me and giving me the opportunity to test these balls out. It was a cool opportunity to get to tell my friends about using pre-release balls. Funny little story to end this review. The first day I went on the course with these, I brought my Father-in-law along. I was choosing to not hit these balls with my driver so that I would minimize the chances of losing them so early in my testing. We come up to a tee box with a big wide fairway and told my FiL that he could try to hit one of the balls. I figured there was little chance that either of us would hit such a wayward shot that we would actually lose a ball. Remember, this fairway is big and wide. He was really nervous and didn’t want to lose a ball either. Well, he steps up and hits this nasty duck hook right out of bounds. We looked for probably 5 minutes and couldn’t find it. He felt terrible. I still haven’t forgiven him. 😉

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

Hey Spies!  This is Mr. Mushball, a.k.a. Morgan Sackett.  I'm happy to be helping provide a review of the new Titleist 2023 V1 and V1x balls for you.

I am a relatively new golfer.  I have played golf since around 2000 when I bought a set of Wilson X-31 Tour clubs ($200 with the bag) mostly so I could go to the range and play a few rounds a month at a local short course with some work buddies.  Took a long time off with a round here or there once every few years or so.  Then, you know, COVID.  Was playing pool for 12 years before that and indoor sports weren't good, so we took up golf seriously in 2020.I've since become hooked and decided it would be more fun if I could actually get better at it.  I've taken some lessons, watched way too much bad, or should I say mixed, advice on YouTube, and played a ton since picking it up seriously.  I've played pretty much every weekend since I started, and try to sneak in as much time on course in between as I think I can get away with.  Don't get out to the range much though, still could use quite a bit of work on my swing mechanics.  I started hitting in the 150's, now am closing in on breaking 110 with breaking 100 regularly in sight next season.  Currently sitting at a 37.6 handicap.

The name Mr. Mushball comes from playing year round.  I'm in Portland, Oregon and the winter weather here in the Pacific Northwest is well... wet.  Lots of mud October through May.  January and February are usually pretty dry, but the ground is cold and may well have other stuff on top.  Since I play year round, this is what I think of as "normal" conditions.

So, what kind of player am I really? Still very much a novice.  I don't hit very far, though I have improved a lot since I started.  I've gained 40+ yards on my P-wedge through technique and technology updates.  I have gone from the X-31's to Wilson Staff Di-9's, to now Callaway Rouge ST Max Irons.  Have quite a few mishits on my driver, but play hybrids relatively well.  Won't touch woods yet.  I'd say I tend to have a pretty high ball flight when hit well.  Generally I play Top Flight Gamer HD balls.  For an inexpensive ball I like how they fly and how they feel.  But, I'll also play anything I can pick up if I run out of those.  I only buy balls once a year or so, and as a very high handicapper I lose them quite a lot so don't want to spend a ton on balls.  The question here is would these do anything for me that might make me change my mind?

My tests

Putting: On course play, as well as a session at Heron Lakes practice green.  The putting session I used to compare the two balls side by side in identical conditions and factored in wind push as there was a stiff breeze.  I tested 10 strokes of each ball from 5, 10 and 15 feet to see how close I could keep them to the hole (or go in!).

Tee: All on course tests, so somewhat subjective.

Approach: All on course tests, also very subjective.

Short game:  On top of the mostly on course testing I did, I did get some chipping comparisons in.  Not as detailed as the putting, but a more clear idea of how each ball performed.

Launch Monitor:  I spent a session hitting three balls, the two test balls and a control Srixon 3 layer for comparison.  Still need to compile the data for posting.  I’ll either edit this post or link the results here.  Data supports my subjective impressions for the most part.

Grading

Looks & Durability (15 out of 15 points)

I can only judge these products on the ball themselves as they were sent to us in generic white box packages.  The ball itself looks very similar to the current models, with the model name replaced by the proto name.  The alignment aid that is the typical two bar arrow around the model name was not printed on these balls either, so had to be more precise when aligning them.  I’m not marking it down as I think the final product will be the same as it has been for years.  Durability was good as I gave these quite a bit of abuse.  After about three rounds with the same ball I did notice some scratches from coarse sand and pavement, some nics from blading the ball, and worn paint.  Nothing that made me think the ball wasn’t playable. 

Sound & Feel (14 out of 15 points)

These are both relatively hard balls.  It does sound a bit different from the Top Flight and Kirkland balls I’ve been playing with mostly recently, a bit duller and a bit louder on putts and chips. I prefer a quieter noise off of these clubs, and sharper rather than duller.  I haven’t noticed on irons and woods as much as I’ve recently changed clubs and don’t know what I’m listening to. While the sound is different, they both feel very solid, so it didn’t bother me at all. 

On-Course Performance (40 out of 40 points)

Both balls have great distance, and probably 5-10 yards longer off of my driver.  Based on my tests and playing conditions, the 388 (V1) would find more fairways and a bit longer than the 348, but on my home course that doesn’t really matter that much as it’s easy to scramble.  My home course would probably want the 348 so I could have more control once I get closer into the green.  Other courses may want the 388 for distance and trueness, and sacrifice a bit on the short game. 

Both have good flight patterns and tend to be higher than my other standard balls and the Srixon I tested on the launch monitor.  When I did hit a green or two, it did not roll out as much as I’m used to.  This is good, just means I need to learn how to become more accurate.  For putting on fast greens I think I’d prefer the 388.  The 348 would work better on slower greens, but I’d need some time to work with it as I think it also catches the grain a bit better, so is going to react to slope and spin more.

Overall on my home course, while I liked the feel of the 348 better, I think the 388 would drop my score by a few strokes in the long run.  Not sure at all yet if it’s going to cut strokes compared to a ball half the price.  More comparison will be done on this down the road. 🙂

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 points)

Given that these were shipped out as white box prototypes, can’t talk about the packaging or graphics/aid aspects.  I’d mark it down as shipped, but won’t as it isn’t the market product, which I believe they won’t change.  I would like to see these balls put out in other colors.  I know there’s some tradition here, but other color balls are very useful in different playing conditions, and it would be nice to see some higher end balls being more distinguished.  Points off for being old fuddy duddies. 

Game Bag or Shag Bag? (20 out of 20 points)

While I may not pick these as my daily gamer, I do say that I’ve been spoiled having these at my whim.  I think when I reach in my bag I’d prefer to pick one of these out over even my other best balls.  I think an exception may be a Chrome Soft X Triple Track.  Do I think they may perform better that I’d rather have them in a competition, yes.  It may be psychosomatic, but aren’t many aspects of golf?  They are much pricier than what I prefer to spend on something I’ll likely lose, so won’t go full out on them.  I think I’d buy a few sleeves for money games along with my daily gamer. 

What did I find?

To be honest, I did not think I would be able to tell the difference between these two balls, let alone any other random I usually pick up and play with.  The fact is, these do stand out from others, and I could tell a difference between the two, especially when being critical.  I guess as a lower handicap player I’m not yet particular about certain aspects, but I feel as though during this review process I’ve gained a bigger appreciation on how an equipment choice can affect my game.

Two balls were reviewed.  We were given a box labeled 348 PROTO and another labeled 388 PROTO.  The general consensus is that the 348 and 388 are the number of dimples and correlate to 348 being a ProV1x, and the 388 being a ProV1.

In my testing both balls performed as well as anyone could expect.  This is in line with the claims Titelist has of being the #1 golf ball on the market, and has held that with out much contest for a long time.  Even so, there is a difference between these two models. 

The 348 felt much more prone to spin than the 388.  This meant that errant shots off the tee would drift further off-line and not carry as far.  Also wind was better able to push it around.  Pitch and chip shots held the green better given the higher backspin rates.  Putting was a challenge for me as it was much more energetic off of the face, but that was handled by a swing adjustment.  It did seem to drift offline a bit more in my putting test.

The 388 balanced out these findings in the opposite way in each aspect.  Straighter and longer off of the tee, less holding power on approach and chips, longer runouts.  Less subject to wind in my tests.  Held lines better and had a more “normal” energy for putts. 

Playing the two side by side, I think I’d probably score better overall with the 388, though I did like the short game feel of the 348.  Both are superior balls that I’d pick up over any other, and since I’ve started this test I’ve left many more found balls sitting where they were.

Final Score: 97/100

Edited by Mr. Mushball
Moved testing notes to a post.

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

Nice!  I'll be looking forward to your feedback 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Congratulations to the new testers of the White Box Pro V's.

@yungkory @CarlH @Shapotomous @daviddvm @WaffleHouseTour @vandyland @ZMendle10 @RichL85 @PeterHenric @Mr. Mushball

I'm looking forward to seeing how these balls compare to your current gamers - ProV or otherwise!  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

So cool to be selected to try out some pre-release balls! I’ll be sure to put them through the paces!

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

Best of luck to the testers, looking forward to the reviews.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

So grateful to be chosen as a tester once again. going to get to put these through some colder weather testing as well as plenty of trackman. The biggest thing I am hoping to see is some more greenside spin if possible. 

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

18 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

So grateful to be chosen as a tester once again. going to get to put these through some colder weather testing as well as plenty of trackman. The biggest thing I am hoping to see is some more greenside spin if possible. 

Let me know if you want to meet up to get some more data/opinions for your writeups!

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Let me know if you want to meet up to get some more data/opinions for your writeups!

I plan on doing a good amount of short game testing at Neshanic Valley since they have the massive short game area as well as 2 practice holes. I would be down for meeting up and doing some side by side testing one day. 

Forum Reviews: 

2 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

I plan on doing a good amount of short game testing at Neshanic Valley since they have the massive short game area as well as 2 practice holes. I would be down for meeting up and doing some side by side testing one day. 

Love me some Neshanic Valley!  Regardless of the test, we should meet up for a round somewhere before the weather gets too cold! 

Congrats. to those chosen for this test, looking forward to their comments and results.

With a wide variety of players chosen, it will be good to see all the comments and results.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Well unfortunately @Shapotomous isn't able to test. However that is good news for @JerryB who is our next tester up to bat! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Hi folks, a little about me:

My name is Jerry, I'm a married father of three living about an hour west of Chicago.  My son, Owen, and I took up golf last year and have been hooked ever since.  I'm hovering near a 20 handicap.  I play regularly but am still very much a hack.  This is my second MGS test.  Last year I had the opportunity to test the ShotScope V3 watch ( https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/22-shot-scope-v3/?do=findReview&review=62 -spoiler: its pretty cool). 

Excited about the opportunity to test some new balls.  This will be interesting.  Midwestern weather is tricky this time of year and I don't know how many balls I will get for the test.  Can't afford to lose them all on the first hole!  Might be more indoor testing than outdoor?  I've never had a gamer ball; I've played a wide variety of balls this year and am currently in the camp that, for me, the ball doesn't matter too much.  Will this change my mind?

IMG_20220316_104727243_HDR.jpg.becc3bfa576de94c0702a6ae6ce072da.jpg

(Last round of the year; getting pretty dicey out there!)

THE REVIEW 1-9-23

TITLEIST WHITE BOX TESTING – OFFICIAL REVIEW BY JERRYB

IMG_20221103_113708707_HDR.jpg.73c92ffffd94afb66ab977cde324ba4a.jpg

INTRO AND FIRST IMPRESSION

It’s an endless debate:  Does the equipment matter?  I know a guy who plays ancient clubs, enjoys fishing balls out of the water, and generally hasn’t spent a dime on anything but greens fees in years.  My son has quickly become a “golf snob” with brand new clubs and balls; he practically thumbs his nose at used anything.  Both of these guys shoot similar scores and each enjoys the game tremendously.

My name is Jerry and I live an hour west of Chicago.  I’ve been playing for two years; with a couple of spot lessons and a lot of frustration, I’m currently about a bogey golfer.  I wouldn’t say I have any strengths in my game.  Every part comes and goes round by round and often hole by hole.  My weakness is the mental game.  I need to be better focused while I’m out there; take a few extra moments and line up my shot or (crucially) track my ball to the very end.  Oh, and putting…my putting is terrible. 

688627271_k6xns4uwnws71(1).jpg.55def5594ec19110880acd0168a1260e.jpg

While I don’t lose as many balls as I sometimes think, I still tend to go through a few balls in a round.  I believe that, for me, the ball doesn't matter.  Inconsistency is still a big part of my game.  If I still badly chunk or top one out of every three shots, there’s not much the ball can do for me, right?  I’ve played Triads, SuperSofts, Noodles, and plenty of found balls along the way.  A good drive typically has a mid-low flight.  Short irons and wedges get up there, and if I miss its usually a push or a hook.  Can’t get a ball to check to save my life, so I play for the roll out.

LOOKS AND DURABILITY  13/15

New stuff day is always a good time and getting these balls in the mail was no different.  After unboxing, the balls were in plain white sleeves and boxes marked with either “388 proto” or “348 proto.”  They looked nice, all shiny and new.  A good tacky feeling as I rolled a couple in my hand.  An alignment aid would be nice but I wouldn’t expect one on a ball that isn’t yet commercially available.

IMG_20221028_124455811.jpg.0c60b6941899e38cd4c8657502c4988d.jpg

IMG_20221028_124905410_HDR.jpg.0244e5b14bb9b4401bedefad8f1fa4e0.jpg

Can’t speak too much for long term durability, but in the short term they seem to hold up well.  I find cart paths with regularity but never made contact with one while testing these balls.  They magically avoid hard surfaces on the course, ha!  Been taking a good number of swings in my garage net which means bouncing off concrete regularly.  They look no worse than other balls I’ve been practicing with.

SOUND AND FEEL  14/15

Given that I normally play lower compression balls that usually have ionomer covers, there was a marked difference in the sound and feel of these prototype balls.  This season I’ve switched to a Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver and a PXG 0211 3 wood and everything, these balls included, have a much more muted sound than I’m used to hearing.  But with irons, wedges and putter, these balls have a much more noticeable “click” when struck.  With the putter especially, the ball feels like it really jumps off the club face.  I’ve long preferred the softer “thunk” of a matte or lower compression ball, but the “click” actually sounds pretty good.

ON COURSE PERFORMANCE 36/40

This is what everyone wants to know: Does the ball help on the course?  My answer is…yes?  I’ve had some good shots, but nothing really out of the ordinary.  It certainly isn’t any worse than other balls I play, either.  It’s just a little difficult to tease out ball performance when my overall game and swing is very inconsistent.

That being said, the ball performed pretty well.  Off the tee, both the 388 and 348 really launched.  They didn’t seem to go much further but they definitely looked aesthetically pleasing, for what its worth.  And while I play for roll out, I actually had an approach with the 388 stop just inches from a divot on a green! 

I really noticed a difference when it came to putting.  Again, the ball just jumped off the putter face.  I have a bad habit of often leaving my putts short but it felt like with the same stroke the ball wound up near or even just past the hole. 

I didn’t necessarily get lower scores because of the ball.  I do, however, think that with a little more season to play regularly, playing either the 388 or the 348 would help my game.

MISCELLANEOUS 10/10

Titleist is the most played ball by both pros and amateurs alike, and for good reason.  They have a well-earned reputation for both performance and consistency.  Confidence is key; most golfers won’t know the difference but astute MyGolfSpy readers will note that, while occasional off-center balls will happen, that will rarely if ever happen with a box of Titleist ProVs. 

GAME BAG OR SHAG BAG?  16/20

I’m not a competitive golfer.  I don’t play in tournaments and I don’t even bet in casual games.  But if I had to shoot as low as possible, I think I would want these balls in my bag.  However, at a price point of $50 a box or over $4 per ball, I’m just not good enough to justify gaming these balls on a regular basis.  For a bogey golfer with a driver swing speed right around 100mph that still loses balls regularly, I need to go down a level or two to a lower price point.  For the competitive golfer that doesn’t burn through balls like I do, these are a great option.

TL;DR AND FINAL SCORE  89/100

I spend most of my time as a contrarian; I really wanted to find a reason to dislike these balls.  Other than price point (I’m a cheapskate) it’s difficult to find anything bad about either the 388 or 348 prototypes.  They live up to the Titleist name and are well worth gaming as long as you don't lose a bunch during a round.  Even having said that; I'm likely to treat myself to another box of either type at some point this season.

IMG_20221103_113659920_HDR.jpgIMG_20221028_124931260_HDR.jpg

Edited by JerryB
final review

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Congrats testers! Always a good one

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Congrats everyone and look forward to the results.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Please welcome and congratulate our testers for the new Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x White Box golf balls! We have 10 of them and are very excited to get their feedback on how they perform!

@yungkory
@CarlH
@JerryB
@daviddvm
@WaffleHouseTour
@vandyland
@ZMendle10
@RichL85
@PeterHenric
@Mr. Mushball

Congrats everyone ! good luck 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Congrats guys. Have fun during testing. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Happy to be chosen!  Glad to be able to knock some balls around and let you all know how it went.   

Congrats to the other testers!

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

4 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Love me some Neshanic Valley!  Regardless of the test, we should meet up for a round somewhere before the weather gets too cold! 

I think we can figure something out. I won't be able to play there till the first weekend of November but I will reach out with a message.

Forum Reviews: 

on another note, it warms my heart to see Placeholders back!!!   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12