Jump to content

Opinions on the PXG 2021 0211 Driver for an older adult beginner?


Recommended Posts

Greetings All . . . I am a 61yo beginner golfer, currently using a Krank F11XX driver. I saw the reviews on the PXG 2021 0211 DRIVER and the recent price drop ($119!!!) and was wondering from those who have played this club on your thoughts about this club for me? I have really expensive drivers that sit in my spare bag because I am not a good enough golfer with a fast enough swing speed, but with my avg. 175 yd drives, do you think this club will be a good investment? Thanks in advance for your personal experiences . . . 

  • Like 1

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much will depend on whether the shaft you get fits you.  That being said, I have an 0211 that I hit quite well.  It’s recently been replaced with a Titleist TSr2 which I hit MUCH better.   But again, the 0211 is a good club.  I even tried the Gen5 0311 and returned it after a month or so because it just wasn’t that much better than the 0211.   Talk to their online sales folks, or better yet, go to one of their stores and get fit, get the right shaft, and you’ll be fine with the 0211. 

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, gb . . . I spoke with one of their fitters yesterday, and he recommended a lighter regular flex shaft to give me some more swing speed.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

I have really expensive drivers that sit in my spare bag because I am not a good enough golfer with a fast enough swing speed, but with my avg. 175 yd drives, do you think this club will be a good investment? 

 

1 minute ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks, gb . . . I spoke with one of their fitters yesterday, and he recommended a lighter regular flex shaft to give me some more swing speed.

I don’t know what other drivers are in your spare bag but if they are from the past 5 or so years you probably wont see any improvement unless they were terrible fits for your swing.  The 0211 is a nice club and performs equally when compared with modern drivers so it is a good deal for the price.   Unfortunately, lighter shafts don’t necessarily equate to more swing speed or what really matters more ball speed.   Do you know your swing speed or any launch monitor numbers to help evaluate if it is an equipment or swing issue?  Where on the face do you hit the ball and what loft clubs do you have?  How would you Describe your basic ball flight?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

 

I don’t know what other drivers are in your spare bag but if they are from the past 5 or so years you probably wont see any improvement unless they were terrible fits for your swing.  The 0211 is a nice club and performs equally when compared with modern drivers so it is a good deal for the price.   Unfortunately, lighter shafts don’t necessarily equate to more swing speed or what really matters more ball speed.   Do you know your swing speed or any launch monitor numbers to help evaluate if it is an equipment or swing issue?  Where on the face do you hit the ball and what loft clubs do you have?  How would you Describe your basic ball flight?

The other serious driver is my Cobra Ltd, which feels very heavy for me. I can't really get anything out of that club as far as distance or control. My average distance on a drive with my Krank is between 150 and 175 yards, around 200 on a really good day (I hit one for 250 yds down the fairway this past Summer, should have retired at that point LOL!) I believe the f11XX is at 10.5 degrees. Generally my ball flight is mid height and generally pretty straight. 

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

The other serious driver is my Cobra Ltd, which feels very heavy for me. I can't really get anything out of that club as far as distance or control. My average distance on a drive with my Krank is between 150 and 175 yards, around 200 on a really good day (I hit one for 250 yds down the fairway this past Summer, should have retired at that point LOL!) I believe the f11XX is at 10.5 degrees. Generally my ball flight is mid height and generally pretty straight. 

What shaft is in the Cobra and what shaft is in the Krank; including weight.  Heavy in what way?  Total weight when holding it or heft when swinging?  
 

IMO, if your drives are only averaging 150/175 a new driver probably won’t give you anymore distance.  I am also guessing that most of the clubs in your bag go the same distance or a very closely gapped?   Looking at you bag I looks like the most lofted club is a sand wedge, you probably average about 30 yards?  What shafts do you have in all your other clubs?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the manufacturers you see with clubs on tour and several of the boutique and dtc brands all make good products.

Its about finding one that fits your liking in shape, size, feel, sound and that fits your swing. The driver loft is important to be in the right launch window. Then it’s finding a shaft that feels good and pairs well with the chosen head

If you want the best matchup find a reputable fitter and get fit. PXG has many physical stores that will do a fitting 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shaft is more important than head, more important than latest bestest newest.  I'm 67.  Hit a drive 230.  I went to PXG last yr for a fitting and got an A flex, lite flex and mere 40 gram weight, Evenflow riptide shaft on the 0211 driver.  It was better less offline than the Recoil lite flex F2 shaft in a Callaway Epic.  And it had a very sensitive feel , as if I could tell where the clubhead was throught the swing.  But I play between injuries and haven't hit balls with it yet.  2 surgeries and and hip flexor.  Now working 6 days a week.  Practicing with medium clubs for now, driver hopefully in a fw weeks.  I suggest a few lessons before buying  Get a good swing going.

  • Haha 1

Driver  Callaway Epic on Recoil F2 (senior) flex

Three wood is TM Burner Superfast 3.0 on M (mature) flex

3H Old Adams A3OS red boxster on stock Graffaloy Platinum reg shaft

3 MP 18 MMC and 4 GFF hybrid Mizuno irons

5 Mizu hybrid Fli-hi

6 - W Ping I 500 irons on Recoil F3 reg flex shafts

Wedges:  Mizuno blue 52 09, 60 06, and old original Hogan Sure-out 56 14 sand

Chipper (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin Up n In bronze 

Putter Musty wood mallet, sometimes switch with my Scotty Cameron Futura X counter weight face balanced

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Greetings All . . . I am a 61yo beginner golfer, currently using a Krank F11XX driver. I saw the reviews on the PXG 2021 0211 DRIVER and the recent price drop ($119!!!) and was wondering from those who have played this club on your thoughts about this club for me? I have really expensive drivers that sit in my spare bag because I am not a good enough golfer with a fast enough swing speed, but with my avg. 175 yd drives, do you think this club will be a good investment? Thanks in advance for your personal experiences . . . 

I'm 10 years older than you are, MrShowbiz, and I recommend that driver wholeheartedly.  Get the Riptide or the Cypher shaft in "A" flex.  I'd recommend getting the 10.5 degree head which gives you 9-12 degrees in terms of the range of loft.  Enjoy.

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Edel EAS 4 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Shaft is more important than head, more important than latest bestest newest.  I'm 67.  Hit a drive 230.  I went to PXG last yr for a fitting and got an A flex, lite flex and mere 40 gram weight, Evenflow riptide shaft on the 0211 driver.  It was better less offline than the Recoil lite flex F2 shaft in a Callaway Epic.  And it had a very sensitive feel , as if I could tell where the clubhead was throught the swing.  But I play between injuries and haven't hit balls with it yet.  2 surgeries and and hip flexor.  Now working 6 days a week.  Practicing with medium clubs for now, driver hopefully in a fw weeks.  I suggest a few lessons before buying  Get a good swing going.

Good advice, thanks. And I have been taking lessons on and off for the last two years, which has actually given me a game!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

I'm 10 years older than you are, MrShowbiz, and I recommend that driver wholeheartedly.  Get the Riptide or the Cypher shaft in "A" flex.  I'd recommend getting the 10.5 degree head which gives you 9-12 degrees in terms of the range of loft.  Enjoy.

PXG Fitter over the phone recommended the Riptide CB 50 5.5 in Regular Flex. Is the "A" flex drastically different?

  • Like 1

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

PXG Fitter over the phone recommended the Riptide CB 50 5.5 in Regular Flex. Is the "A" flex drastically different?

It is, Marty.  Your driver distance is such that, in my experience/opinion, the senior flex is going to give you a better result.  It's not a "drastic" difference but, for lack of a better way to describe it, the senior shaft will "do more of the work for you" with a lower swing speed.   You can always snag a regular flex shaft as your skills, swing speed improve, that's the joy of something like the PXG driver head.

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Edel EAS 4 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Bobbers said:

It is, Marty.  Your driver distance is such that, in my experience/opinion, the senior flex is going to give you a better result.  It's not a "drastic" difference but, for lack of a better way to describe it, the senior shaft will "do more of the work for you" with a lower swing speed.   You can always snag a regular flex shaft as your skills, swing speed improve, that's the joy of something like the PXG driver head.

Thanks very much! I'll look into that.

  • Like 1

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...