TESTERS WANTED! ×

Decided to go with the BGT Stability Tour shaft on my Edel EAS 4

Decided to put a BGT Stability Tour on my Edel EAS 4 putter.  Had to do a bit of golf shop engineering to get the results I was after but all in all it was a straightforward process/project.

1.  You'll have to measure the shaft diameter on your putter if you decide to do this as the shafts are sold with a specific diameter shaft insert opening.  My putter was .370.  You also need to make sure that diameter is present 8.25 inches from the head of your putter unless you're replacing a straight shaft.  Mine, as you'll see in the photos, is a bend shaft.

2.  I cut a piece of painter's tape to 8.25 inches and laid it on the existing putter shaft moving from the head up the shaft.  That's where the existing putter shaft is cut (I used my chop saw) to create the "stub" that's going to be inserted into the graphite part of the BGT shaft. 

3.  The  BGT comes with a straight section of shaft to be used if you're replacing the shaft in a straight shaft putter.  There's a 2.5 inch "prepped" end of that insert.  The top 2.5 inches of my "stub" shaft needed to be sanded to remove the chrome finish so good adhesion would occur once assembly took place.

4.  There's a small "stop" inside the bottom of the BGT which allows you to insert the stub a precise distance and no further.  End result of my build was I have just less than 6 inches of the original putter shaft with the balance now being the graphite/carbon fiber BGT shaft.

5.  My Edel had a counterweight in the grip area of the shaft.  50 grams to be precise.  Unfortunately the outer diameter of that Opti Vibe (or whatever it was) wouldn't fit into the butt end of the BGT shaft.  Sooooo, I modified a Super Stroke putter shaft insert weight (50 grams) and was able to insert that into the butt of the BGT shaft as a replacement.

6.  Cut to length, use the round standard Edel grip I'd ordered in anticipation, and presto, all done.

Hoping to get out this weekend to see how it rolls.

Thanks for looking, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

edel4 4.jpg

edel4 3.jpg

edel4 2.jpg

edel4 1.jpg

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Very nice .. looks great!!

..hmmm maybe I'll send you my EAS 4.0 .. don't like the stock shaft and need it more upright, too...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Played 18 yesterday.  Not a good day for putting; lots of tree leaves, twigs, general autumn "what not" blowing around.

Regardless, I enjoyed the new feel of the putter with the BGT shaft.  No vibration to speak of yet still had a good feel for the head.

I think over the winter I'm going to remove the grip and take out the 50 gram shaft weight; the BGT shaft seems to have enough  weight to it all by itself that the extra weight isn't going to do anything to improve my feel with the putter.

I'm rating it a plus as far as putter performance, I'm glad I made the upgrade.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

• 5 months later...

Thanks for posting your project. I'm thinking of doing the same with my EAS 4.0.

Have you been able to use it more? Do you still like it better than the stock steel shaft?

I'm curious about the counter weight. I was using the one from Edel (top one) but recently changed to the superstroke (bottom one). 

Is the top one the same as what you had that didn't fit inside the stability tour shaft?

What did you have to modify to make the superstroke weight for it to work?

Thanks!

16800303163552473703557586492826.jpg

20 hours ago, MLBoulder said:

Thanks for posting your project. I'm thinking of doing the same with my EAS 4.0.

Have you been able to use it more? Do you still like it better than the stock steel shaft?

I'm curious about the counter weight. I was using the one from Edel (top one) but recently changed to the superstroke (bottom one). 

Is the top one the same as what you had that didn't fit inside the stability tour shaft?

What did you have to modify to make the superstroke weight for it to work?

Thanks!

16800303163552473703557586492826.jpg

I still like the Stability shaft, no question about that whatsoever.

I probably don't have the "feel" others might have in the sense that switching to the Superstroke counterweight wasn't noticeable in terms of placement.  I will say that the weight in mind was similar in placement to the Superstroke where the one you pictured seems to be more of a butt end weight.  Might be that they differentiate during the fitting on where the counterweight needs to be placed to get the user the best results.  All I had to do was reduce the diameter of the Superstroke "screw in" top; it was too wide for the Stability shaft and the Edel grip.  A few minutes on the sanding wheel on my bench grinder and presto, ready to go.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter