TESTERS WANTED! ×

What exotic golf course would you like to play?

GolfSpy WD

I stumbled across the Royal Indian Ocean club golf course being planned (built?) in the Maldives. I love courses with water, so I can imagine dying a happy man if I ever had a chance to play this course:

http://www.funnymos.com/worlds-most-expensive-golf-course.html

Maldives_floating_golf_course_1.jpg

Maldives_floating_golf_course_2.jpg

Maldives%20Floating%20Islands%20Project.jpg

13146.jpg

floating_golf_course_maldives.png

Without picking the usual suspects (August National, Pinehurst, TPC Sawgrass, Pebble Beach), what exotic golf course would you put on your bucket list?

My wife is from South Africa, we are going over there next summer, our winter. I do not know when, my mother-in-law came to visit Christmas of 2010 and I bought her a plane ticket to get rid of her last August so neither of us have not been in a big hurry to see her again, but we are going at some point. Since we will be there anyway I am going to play the Legend Golf & Safari Resort. I am going to spring for the additional $300 for the helicopter ride and play the longest Par 3 in the world. 770 yards, 1200 ft elevation change, to a green the shape of Africa. It is the 19th hole and the 18 hole course is only $65 to play but hell, you go to Africa you play the course you have to play that hole.

Retief%20Goosen%20Extreme%2019%20Tee%20Shot.jpg

However, this dude looks a little bit too close to the edge for me.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

It says that depending on the wind, a 280-300 yard shot gets you on the green. If I spend an additional $300 bucks for one hole of golf I will take all the muligans I need. :D

yeah, for $300 I'd bring a bucket of balls and work myself toward a hole in one!!! (though I dunno if I could get a ball to fly the 300 yards)

I'd LOVE to see Donald Trump build out some of the fantasy holes from AboutGolf:

realistically - Bandon Dunes. I'll play there within the next 2-3 years (just cause I have to)

I will hopefully get round to playing a course over here this summer that I keep meaning to play, it is only a 20 minute drive from my house it's called Walton Heath. A classic heathland course here in England that held the Ryder Cup with with, what has been described as the "Greatest American Team" to play in it, back in 1981

follow this link to read about it on their website

www.waltonheath.com/Heritage/RyderCup.aspx

However if it was a course in America I would love to get over to play Shinnecock Hills, probably because I used to like Corey Pavin and had a limited edition replica of the Cleveland putter he won with there

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

yeah, for $300 I'd bring a bucket of balls and work myself toward a hole in one!!! (though I dunno if I could get a ball to fly the 300 yards)

I'd LOVE to see Donald Trump build out some of the fantasy holes from AboutGolf:

realistically - Bandon Dunes. I'll play there within the next 2-3 years (just cause I have to)

Do they make a slope rating high enough for those two holes? :lol: Would be fun though

That is one fantastic golf hole. I personally would love to play all over Ireland and missed a great opportunity when my brother spent 9 months living in Galway.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I've played Pinehurst #2 and TPC Sawgrass but it's not likely that I'll ever play Augusta National or Pebble Beach. Other than those two and possibly some of the Scottish links courses, the one course that I really find intriguing is Chambers Bay. I don't ever expect to play there either, but I'm looking forward to watching the US Open telecast in 2015. That looked like a really interesting layout when the Amateur was there a couple of years ago.

This is a course I am going to play in May. Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria on the Black Sea. It is a Gary Player design. My wife and I are talking about moving into this area and they offer joint memberships to Tharcian Cliffs and Blacksearoma Golf and Resort. I will be in this area a lot for work and it is very beautiful there. Nice weather most of the year. Great food and beer also.

m_817364373_129269.jpg

m_3174495776_618522.jpg

m_3880143753_798943.jpg

This is a course I am going to play in May. Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria on the Black Sea. It is a Gary Player design. My wife and I are talking about moving into this area and they offer joint memberships to Tharcian Cliffs and Blacksearoma Golf and Resort. I will be in this area a lot for work and it is very beautiful there. Nice weather most of the year. Great food and beer also.

m_817364373_129269.jpg

m_3174495776_618522.jpg

m_3880143753_798943.jpg

Well that's beautiful...

Yes it is. But it was not open last time I was there. As a matter of fact, the first time I was there they only had one golf course in the country and I was no where near it. They have had three open up since 2008 in this area. This one in 2011, the BlackSeaRama in 2009, bofh are Gary Player designs, an Ian Woosan deisign place called the Lighthouse Golf Course. All of them right together.

RoverRick

The location looks amazing hope the course turns out to be as good as it looks, would be great to call that your home club.

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

If only I have some reason to go to Bulgaria...

If only I have some reason to go to Bulgaria...

Bulgaria is not really anything like I expected. On first impression, well, I went through Germany on my way there. My mother is German, and all her family is still there so I am partial, but everytime I go to Germany i am amazed. The place is immaculate. It looks like they just finished painting everything, and cutting the grass. Even the 1000 year old ruins are not dirty. I have never played golf in Germany but I would be rule one is that if you have a 9 am tee time, that first ball better be in the air at 9 am. Otherwise, "Du bist spat." and failure to replace a divot or repair a ball mark can get you shot.

Bulgaria, appears just the opposite at first. I was not sure that they were even aware that the lawn mower had been invented, and that it was possible to have a roof made of something besides red tile. Many things look like they are built by the high school shop class. However, this is the older Communist era stuff and attitude. The modern attitude there is much different. It is like this golf course. "We do not play golf, but we want to, so build us a nice golf course." To me this course,pictures anyway, look like Pebble Beach but with nicer weather. And more affordable.

Bulgaria is not really anything like I expected. On first impression, well, I went through Germany on my way there. My mother is German, and all her family is still there so I am partial, but everytime I go to Germany i am amazed. The place is immaculate. It looks like they just finished painting everything, and cutting the grass. Even the 1000 year old ruins are not dirty. I have never played golf in Germany but I would be rule one is that if you have a 9 am tee time, that first ball better be in the air at 9 am. Otherwise, "Du bist spat." and failure to replace a divot or repair a ball mark can get you shot.

Where is this Germany you speak of? :lol: I play 3 times a week and still manage to get pissed off with the slow play, divots and pitch marks! :angry:

If you happen to be on the north side of Germany, let me know... you can give me some lessons... hmmm I mean, we can go play some golf! :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Only part of Europe I go to is France when visiting family. I haven't had a chance to golf there yet though.

Next time we go to visit my wife's family in Thailand though, we're already talking about staying at a resort. My wife has a friend who's husband and son are golfers (their son gets a full scholarship to some private school). So I was looking around at different resorts, I think I'll try Mission Hills in Phuket (Jack Nicklaus design):

http://www.missionhillsphuket.com

main-golf00.jpg

main-golf01.jpg

main-golf02.jpg

main-golf03.jpg

main-golf04.jpg

(edit: I should mention there are cheaper rates for locals, otherwise it's very expensive)

Where is this Germany you speak of? :lol: I play 3 times a week and still manage to get pissed off with the slow play, divots and pitch marks! :angry:

If you happen to be on the north side of Germany, let me know... you can give me some lessons... hmmm I mean, we can go play some golf! :D

This is all southern German around Munchen. Sadly my relatives do not play golf. I have no idea what golf is like in Germany, and after the first tee I can imagine it being very slow because the Germans are very picky. If you have a problem with Germans playing slowly it is because they are not told that they need to be finished by a certain time. My experience with Germans is if you give them a deadline it will be met.

I have noticed that you were in Germany and depending on how things go I may look you up. The thing is going from country to country is like going from state to state here.

This is all southern German around Munchen. Sadly my relatives do not play golf. I have no idea what golf is like in Germany, and after the first tee I can imagine it being very slow because the Germans are very picky. If you have a problem with Germans playing slowly it is because they are not told that they need to be finished by a certain time. My experience with Germans is if you give them a deadline it will be met.

I have noticed that you were in Germany and depending on how things go I may look you up. The thing is going from country to country is like going from state to state here.

That sounds more like a stereotype to me or perhaps that's the case with older generations.

Anyways, if you are around, hit me up!

Just rent a nice car and enjoy the no-speed-limit Autobahn!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

That sounds more like a stereotype to me or perhaps that's the case with older generations.

Anyways, if you are around, hit me up!

Just rent a nice car and enjoy the no-speed-limit Autobahn!

Yes, I am guilty of stereotyping Germans. Are you a German or just living there?

I have felt badly about my stereotyping. My business partners are Turkish and Bulgarian. But generally speaking, the Germans, me included are on time, the Turks and Bulgarians are there somewhere around the time they say. If I say I will call you at 4 be by the phone. If they say they will call tomorrow, it may be the end of the week.

Yes, I am guilty of stereotyping Germans. Are you a German or just living there?

I have felt badly about my stereotyping. My business partners are Turkish and Bulgarian. But generally speaking, the Germans, me included are on time, the Turks and Bulgarians are there somewhere around the time they say. If I say I will call you at 4 be by the phone. If they say they will call tomorrow, it may be the end of the week.

LOL no worries man. It's perfectly normal. I'm Asian, born and raised in Latin America and have been living in Germany since 2003.

At first, I also thought Germans were very punctual, always wait for the green light to cross the street, etc... then I came here and realized, it is mostly true for older generations. On the streets you see a lot of younger people being the opposite. I also used to think that trains and buses were never late here, but boy was I wrong!

I think age has a huge impact on how we perceive things. I just turned 28 this year, so my guess is what I see now and what your mother saw a couple of decades ago are very different.

This is all southern German around Munchen.

That's a fact, and a thing I like about Europe. Unfortunately it's also a thing denied traditional tourists as it needs a car to enjoy. It's been too many years since I drove through Europe and it's more fun than driving through the USA because they speak different languages at almost every stop, have different food and build buildings differently.

Shambles

Shambles

I spent two weeks working in North Carolina and had to stop in Wisconson on my way home, the people I was working for apparently did not own a map. :) I got out of the truck and the guy says, "dontchaknowIthinkitwouldbestifwesetthisupinthebarndontyouaehh?". After having him repeat it several times I said, "I think I recognize enough of those sounds to determine you are speaking English but after two weeks in the Carolina's you are going to have to slow down.". I was there for 4 days. And heard more words than I heard in two weeks in NC.

So you should say that we all read the same language. Well, that is a big assumption considering some of the places I have been.

Shambles

I spent two weeks working in North Carolina and had to stop in Wisconson on my way home, the people I was working for apparently did not own a map. :) I got out of the truck and the guy says, "dontchaknowIthinkitwouldbestifwesetthisupinthebarndontyouaehh?". After having him repeat it several times I said, "I think I recognize enough of those sounds to determine you are speaking English but after two weeks in the Carolina's you are going to have to slow down.". I was there for 4 days. And heard more words than I heard in two weeks in NC.

So you should say that we all read the same language. Well, that is a big assumption considering some of the places I have been.

I've spent time in NC. OMG is the conversation slow :lol:. To the people I met though, I'm just one of those northerners who's always in a rush.

I am a slow talking Texan, who has always been given grief for talking slow and pausing during sentences to find exactly the right words. First time in that part of the country they acted like I was a northerner alway in a hurry.

Shambles

I think there was one study somewhere that claimed there were more than 3,000 dialects spoken in the USA, most of it English. I thought the author was overstating and misrepresenting some facts, but it's not impossible. I find communication very difficult in some parts of the USA, even in the large cities like N.Y.C., or L.A.. I was accused by an uncle of speaking too fasr when I was a grade school-er, and these days I think my nephews and nieces speak too fast for me to understand.

Life happens.

Back to Topic,

I'm glad to be back home where there are so many golf courses, almost all of them first class, that it's hard work visiting them all. I hope I never have to travel again.

Shambles

• 3 months later...

Only part of Europe I go to is France when visiting family. I haven't had a chance to golf there yet though.

Next time we go to visit my wife's family in Thailand though, we're already talking about staying at a resort. My wife has a friend who's husband and son are golfers (their son gets a full scholarship to some private school). So I was looking around at different resorts, I think I'll try Mission Hills in Phuket (Jack Nicklaus design):

http://www.missionhillsphuket.com

main-golf00.jpg

main-golf01.jpg

main-golf02.jpg

main-golf03.jpg

main-golf04.jpg

(edit: I should mention there are cheaper rates for locals, otherwise it's very expensive)

Some amazing golf courses in Thailand message me for more information.

What About this one in Bali ?

3219480120_7bf39cddec_b.jpg

Golfasian

http://www.golfasian.com

The #1 Golf Experts in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia & Indonesia!

Archived