Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tiger Already Evasive about Haney's Book

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Typically entertaining stuff from Jeanne Moos here. The interview snippets give a pretty clear indication of how snippy Tiger is about Haney's book...and it's not even out yet. And this Navy Seal stuff, probably as flattering as it's going to get for Tiger. If he's flustered over this, just wait 'til the juicy stuff gets out.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I would be evasive too if I were Tiger. The more it gets talked about the books Haney will sell. Why would Tiger want to help Haney sell books?

If Tiger answered questions about the book, there would definitely be more buzz about it.

The damage is already done...the book is going to sell...and he's going to get questions, if only because the media as a whole is no longer afraid of rubbing Tiger the wrong way. There's a right way to answer the questions (because not answering them won't make them go away), and the way he's handling it so far is all wrong.

Did you ever consider becoming a Navy Seal is as easy a question as he's going to get. You'd think he'd have a better PR team.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I read the Haney piece in the Golf Digest. Haney did not say anything bad about the military in general. He did say that one of Tiger's Ex Seal buddies/employee at the time was wierd. He said that Steve Williams told Haney that the Seal thought Earl was talking to him from the grave. So perhaps, Haney had a right to say he was wierd. Also, Haney said that he tought Tiger should quit playing around with the Seals because he thought it was bad for his already bad leg. While he did not use these words he thought Tiger should grow up and focus on the path he had choosen.

From what I read this is just a very small little bit of the book that would barely cause a stir if Tiger would handle it differently. So what if Tiger admires the military in general and the Navy Seals in particular. We all know his father's story. We know he was regaled with stories of his father's exploits when he was young. We know if this golf thing would not have worked out he would have followed his father into the military. So what.

I spent 5 years in the Army. There is a considerable difference in doing that stuff for real and doing it a few times with his Seal friends. I can assure you it is only fun when it is overwith. . And I do not think that Tiger has the mentality NOW or in 2007 to go do it for real. He may have in 1997 but not now. He has been the king, and the military does not generally let you start out at the top. Other than the very top position where you need no prior experience.

Much like the Pat Tillman who left the NFL to join the Rangers, Tiger would not last as a Seal. I hate to say anything bad about Tillman. The only thing I know for sure is that he felt strongly enough about his convictions to give up a NFL position to do what he thought was right. That is admirable. Sadly from the story that came out years later, his football star qualities caused his death and the death of two others when he charged off without coordinating with fellow Rangers and ran into their bullets. Tiger is not one to follow orders, and while I would love to have him on my golf team, I would not want him in my command. I doubt the Seals feel much differently.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

ran into their bullets

That's an exceedingly novel way of phrasing getting killed by friendly fire in a military operation that's nothing but a giant goat**** to begin with.

I doubt Tiger belongs in the Seals as well, but in drawing an inept comparison to Tillman, you make it plain that your judgment is as bad as you imagine Tillman's was.

Cleveland Black 10.5*

Ping G15 4W

Cleveland Mashie 18*

Cleveland Mashie 23*

Ping G15 5-W

Eidolon 51*

Ping G20 SW

Mizuno/Bettinardi BC-01

Your are perhaps correct that there is a significant difference between Tillman and Tiger. I mean no disrespect for Tillman who actually at the height of his NFL career felt strongly enough about his desire to serve his country that he quit and did some thing about it. Tillman's death, once again from the recount that I saw was that he was told to be the support element and another group was the assault element. He took two Afgans and lead the assault from the wrong direction, thus running into the bullets of the assault element. I used those terms rather than friendly fire to make the point that he trigger pullers were not at fault.

I just went back and read a 5 page "account" of Tillman's Death. It was different than what I saw on the Military Channel which made Tillman out to be what we called, "A Spotlight Ranger" so unless we were there, and I certainly was not, we can not know which one was true. Either way that was not really the point.

Tiger on the other hand could not even pass the military physical so he had no way to become a Seal.

The only comparison is that they are both pro atheletes at the hieght of their careers and talked about it. Tillman did something. Tiger could not even if he tried to do it.

I spoke at length yesterday with a retired friend of mine about Tillman and Tiger, and the problems with both are that they, by that point in their lives, used to doing things their way. And thus not necessarily good in the military situation.

While I did spend may years when I was younger in the military, I would also say that I would not be very good in those situations now. Not to mention, like Tiger, I can no longer pass the physical.

I read the excerpt from the book also, and the one thing I found interesting is that Tiger somehow arranged to participate in those military training exercises. Even with his military contacts, how common is it for a civilian to train on military bases in Navy Seal and paratrooper exercises? Does the Pentagon have a budget for high profile civilians who want to participate in special-ops training?

And what about that comment that there was an age limit of 28 years to enter Navy Seal training, and that an exception had been made for Tiger if he decided to join? How can the military make an exception to established rules for a high profile person like Tiger Woods? I'm not saying that is not true, I'm just saying I have my doubts that any special exceptions were made for Tiger.

So the questions I have are: Did all this really happen? Did Tiger tell Haney it happened? Was Tiger's account accurate? Did Haney recount accurately what he believed he was being told by Tiger. Where is the truth in one persons account of discussions they had with another person?

Tell me again how big that fish was that you caught last week? I read the excerpt, but I won't be buying the book.

I read the excerpt from the book also, and the one thing I found interesting is that Tiger somehow arranged to participate in those military training exercises. Even with his military contacts, how common is it for a civilian to train on military bases in Navy Seal and paratrooper exercises? Does the Pentagon have a budget for high profile civilians who want to participate in special-ops training?

And what about that comment that there was an age limit of 28 years to enter Navy Seal training, and that an exception had been made for Tiger if he decided to join? How can the military make an exception to established rules for a high profile person like Tiger Woods? I'm not saying that is not true, I'm just saying I have my doubts that any special exceptions were made for Tiger.

So the questions I have are: Did all this really happen? Did Tiger tell Haney it happened? Was Tiger's account accurate? Did Haney recount accurately what he believed he was being told by Tiger. Where is the truth in one persons account of discussions they had with another person?

Tell me again how big that fish was that you caught last week? I read the excerpt, but I won't be buying the book.

I have an issue when I hear Tiger say that he went on some "Seal Missions". I do not doubt that he offically was allowed to participate in some relatively "benign" training exercises. Although those "benign" exercises can still be dangerous. I also would not be surprised if they took "Their Buddy Tiger" on some things that they may not have had specific permission. Sadly, someone with Tiger's media influence will certainly be treated as a VIP at any military base or just about anywhere he goes. He got paid ten million dollars to wear a Nike Swoosh. It can not hurt to have him seen with a Go Navy cap on. As far as budget, these guys have to do certain things regularly to stay current. Taking someone along is no more money.

The Bule Angels, and Thunderbirds have two seater aircraft to take VIP's on flights. There are Public Relations people attached to every command and every base. Someone of Tiger's stature shows up at the gate and says hey can I come watch. You assign someone to take him to watch. And if he and those assigned to "baby sit him" really like him, he may get to go further than most people can. Especially, if he can keep up and do the stuff they are. I think Tiger is a scuba diver. So it is possible.

Did he go on runs? Yes. Did he get to jump out of planes? probably, they have tandem jumps for those who are not qualified. did he get to go dive? Sure if he was qualified. Did he get to go for a walk in the woods? Why not.

Hank and Tiger have made it sound like they went on a Bin Laden Hunt. I do not think so.

You know, having said all that and rereading what Hank said, and keeping in mind that I have been out of the military since 1993, Fort Bragg is an Army base and is the home of the XVIII Airborne Corps, 82nd Airborne Division, US Army Special Warfare Command, JFK SPECWAR School, and many other smaller Army units, including the tandem jumping units that I mentioned earlier. To my knowledge, if there were a Seal-wanna-be-school it would at Little Creek, Va. or more likely San Diego, Ca where the Seals under go BUDS. Unless they have made that part of the Army's Special Warfare Training. Which is very hard to imagine if you know anything about the Army and Navy relationship. To people who have not been a part of that it may not make much difference but if you were you know that we are only on the same side when there is someone to fight, if not we fight each other, especially for a portion of the budget.

I posted above that I won't be buying the book, and I still won't. But I will be interested in hearing if there are any comments relative to putting and what Haney may have suggested to Tiger in that area. Or any comments Tiger may have made about putting himself. Those are areas of instruction that might benefit anyone and I'm always looking for new putting ideas.

Archived