TESTERS WANTED! ×

Aiming Your Putter - How is it?

seemoreputters

One a scale from 1 to 10 (great)...what would you give yourself when it comes to aim?  Are you consistently good?  Do you have an idea? No idea? Need help? Do you trust where you are aiming the putter?  

Any SeeMore putter

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

9 if I'm playing my usual course... 5 if I'm playing a course I haven't played before... 2 if I'm playing on bermuda.

nice!  Tough when you go to another course.  You want to stay on the putting green a little bit longer if you can have time.  Thanks for the post!

Any SeeMore putter

I give myself a 9, after a True Spec putter fitting, detailed in a thread I started a while ago. Of course we all still have to get green reading and pace right, but starting putts on my intended line is not something I have to worry about anymore. I don't understand why alignment would be different on a home course versus any other course - makes zero difference IME.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

5 minutes ago, Middler said:

I give myself a 9, after a True Spec putter fitting, detailed in a thread I started a while ago. Of course we all still have to get green reading and pace right, but starting putts on my intended line is not something I have to worry about anymore. I don't understand why alignment would be different on a home course versus any other course - makes zero difference IME.

Can you fix the link on your post - it is not working.  As for different courses he might be taking in account the speed of the greens and how he is more familiar with the nuances and subtle breaks of his home course.  Thanks for sharing.

Any SeeMore putter

8 minutes ago, seemoreputters said:

Can you fix the link on your post - it is not working.  As for different courses he might be taking in account the speed of the greens and how he is more familiar with the nuances and subtle breaks of his home course.  Thanks for sharing.

There isn’t a link. And I consider “aim” to be the players ability to start the ball on the intended line, that has nothing to do with breaks or speed…

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

There isn’t a link. And I consider “aim” to be the players ability to start the ball on the intended line, that has nothing to do with breaks or speed…

👍

Any SeeMore putter

To quote Elvis Costello.... My Aim is True (you are welcome for the ear worm...)

Having "gone" there - I will say while my aim is an 8 - my execution is more like a 6.  I recognize that my misses when it comes to breaking putts is setting up on the intended target line, then pushing or pulling the putt toward the hole.  (which results a miss on the low side 10 out of 10 times unless I have misread the putt to begin with).  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, seemoreputters said:

to aim?

2 hours ago, seemoreputters said:

One a scale from 1 to 10 (great)...what would you give yourself when it comes to aim?  Are you consistently good?  Do you have an idea? No idea? Need help? Do you trust where you are aiming the putter?  

For putting or aiming I give me 7, sometimes it goes very well sometimes it goes wrong, a lot depends on the moment and how I feel that I take my time or not for making the right put, lining up the ball or not makes no difference to me, more how I do my my swing controlled or calm or wanting to be too fast, green does not play a role.

Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

Putting is certainly my strong point in my game so I would say in the 8-9 range. My miss would be a little bit of a pull if anything and I know that I setup slightly closed. However I am right eye, right hand dominant and play left handed so there is all sorts of weird stuff going on. That being said compared to a 8 hdcp arccos says I gain on average 2 strokes a round putting so I must be doing something right! 

I will say the fang style putters help as well and suit my eyes. Not that I can't or havent used others successfully, but it is certainly my preferred shape. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'll give myself an 8 when it comes to consistent aim at setup.   IMO, I want consistent aim which is independent of face at impact and if I picked the correct line.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’d give myself a 2. I struggle to aim the face at the target, but I also stopped practicing it. What looks lined up to me is often way right (I think) but I pretend it’s good. Recently, I’ve putted better looking at the hole and being more instinctual. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

9 hours ago, Middler said:

And I consider "aim" to be the player's ability to pick the correct line to get the ball to the hole with the speed selected AND start it on that line.  Being able to start the ball on the intended line is no good if it's the wrong line.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'd have to say 7-ish.   Looking at my SAM PuttLab report, I'm 2.5 degrees closed at address and 2.7 degrees open with the face change.   That would net out about 0.2 degrees open.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the consistency numbers around those aiming statistics (which is probably more important than the average).   

Now that our greens have recovered from a summer of aeration (three times in five months), my distance control is improving with the smoother surfaces.  If I miss my first putt on a green, it's usually left with a putt somewhere within a 3 foot circle.  My overall putting challenge is picking the right line to begin with.  I'll get lazy at times and won't look from both sides of the cup to get a full picture of what's truely happening.  Even though I play the greens three times a week/52 weeks of the year, there's something that optically confuses me when I read my home course greens.  I either see breaks that are not there or miss the ones that are really there.     No matter how well I aim the putter, it occasionally won't matter because it's the wrong spot to begin with.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I’d give myself a 10 with a simple putter. Too much going on to aid alignment actually can throw me off. 

I did a putter fitting with a Anser style blade with no alignment aid, for all my putts from 10 feet or so my face averaged .1 degree right. And the std deviation was close to 0. 

as great as that is I tend to use a line on my ball to ensure I’m setting up on my intended line as I read the green. This allows me to best focus on the speed, as if I do my job in set up my stroke is fairly consistent in getting the ball rolling on that line. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

And I consider "aim" to be the player's ability to pick the correct line to get the ball to the hole with the speed selected AND start it on that line.  Being able to start the ball on the intended line is no good if it's the wrong line.

Most putting instructors break putting down into 3-4 skills - speed control, green reading and directional control (some separate alignment at address and at impact). You’ve chosen to call two of them “aim,” that’s fine though they’re different skills.

In last week's post, I introduced the three essential skills to being a great putter. These skills are:

Speed control (hitting the putt with the desired force)

Green reading (correctly assessing the slope and speed of the green, and to a lesser extent wind and grain direction)

Directional control (hitting the desired start line)

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1