Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

State Of Play - GolfSpy_APH

I have a few rounds left this season and have really enjoyed getting a chance to play more this year. The game is coming back into shape, but I truly want to make some sustainable improvements over the winter. Thankfully I have access to a range nearly all winter and have completed my backyard setup so I can hit all the practice balls I want albeit limited flight. 

Here is where I stand now from how I feel about my game. 

Driving - I am content with my distance. The courses I have played so far and when I have played its been wet so I got very little to no roll and have never found myself too far out of position in terms of distance. Accuracy however still leaves a lot to be desired, however the last few rounds have been significantly better including not loosing a ball at all in 2 of those 3 which is just such a great feeling. I would no longer say it is a huge area of weakness, but still somewhere in which I want to improve. 

Irons: I think overall I am pretty average. I hit some great shots and some less than stellar, as would anyone with a handicap around mine. I feel a lot more comfortable with my irons the last 4 rounds and feel they are becoming a strength, more so with distance control vs accuracy. I feel I give up a lot on par 3s and need to play them simpler by just getting onto a safe spot on the green and going from there. 

Chipping: Outside of blading some stupid chips from a lack of focus I am very happy with this part of my game. Not to say I get up and down a lot, but I have creativity and see the shots I want to make and use a variety of clubs to make those shots. I of course have good and bad days and want to work on consistency, but overall this is what I would consider a strength. 

Putting: This is my life saver, hands down no question. I will still work on it, but a adjustment in hand positioning made a world of a difference and I have really only had one bad round putting this year. 

Now the Arccos  numbers and how they see it. 
Overall
Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.38.29.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.38.44.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.39.03.png

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.39.13.png

Driving

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.39.32.pngScreenshot 2022-10-26 17.39.43.png

Approach

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.40.02.png

Chipping

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.40.18.png

Putting

Screenshot 2022-10-26 17.40.38.png

This is all data from my last 9 rounds here in Switzerland and I have taken out any rounds prior to that. As I went through time in life where I played very little and doesn't reflect my actual game. 

Now here is a few videos of how the swing looks in its current form with irons

And here

I have just been going through looking at the swings and something I had been working on was shortening the length of my back swing. It got very long and caused some timing issues. It is funny as the the swing feels still very short, but clearly in the video it is not. 

I have also worked at slowing the back swing a bit as it would often get rushed and again it feels slower than slow, but clearly isn't again. 

When these two things came together I would get bad bad hooks or just massive draws. Since working on these changes I have been able to play a straight shot and even a fade! I can still of course draw the ball when called for, but I feel as though I have a lot more control with my ball flights. 

I would love some more input on the swing as I am no swing coach and see a few things that in my mind I could work on, but before I say what they are I will open it up to input. 

And because I am a mod, any I am standing on the wrong side of the ball or my clubs are backwards nonsense will not be tolerated 😉 joking of course.

I feel I have the tools to get back to where my game was a few years ago and outside of a fun driver showdown there won't be much changing in my bag. Both my WITB and iron review are linked in my signature. 

Over the next 2 weeks I want to set out some goals for myself in this offseason and where I really want to see my improvements. I intend to do iron and putting practice at home. Chipping, driving and more irons at the local course with top tracer and their facilities. 

Thanks all for reading this long and looking forward to your feedback!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I will leave the swing advice to someone else, I have some ideas however looking at your stats it seems that there is a big glaring issue that could shave a almost a stroke off your handicap. 

Having your par 5 scoring be the highest over par is a killer. Not sure if you play real difficult par 5's however you have a good short game so it doesn't appear to be that,  is it strategy? Is it pressing too hard? Lowering that number to around 5 or just over would be a goal of mine. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

4 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I will leave the swing advice to someone else, I have some ideas however looking at your stats it seems that there is a big glaring issue that could shave a almost a stroke off your handicap. 

Having your par 5 scoring be the highest over par is a killer. Not sure if you play real difficult par 5's however you have a good short game so it doesn't appear to be that,  is it strategy? Is it pressing too hard? Lowering that number to around 5 or just over would be a goal of mine. 

Most the par 5s are pretty darn hard where I play, but usually it's a penalty off the tee which is the Killer.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

You have laid down the gauntlet @GolfSpy_APH!  I don't have Arccos on my clubs, and I haven' strayed away from using my shotscope religiously (I really need to invest in Arrcos or re-tag all my clubs with the shotscop tags again), so I don't have the metrics you have above... really cool data.  I also appreciate you posting your swing.  I accept that as a challenge, and I accept all the ridicule that will come from doing it 🙂 .  I would define my swing by saying I can play ok in spite of it.. 😉

I think your overview is great. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

17 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

You have laid down the gauntlet @GolfSpy_APH!  I don't have Arccos on my clubs, and I haven' strayed away from using my shotscope religiously (I really need to invest in Arrcos or re-tag all my clubs with the shotscop tags again), so I don't have the metrics you have above... really cool data.  I also appreciate you posting your swing.  I accept that as a challenge, and I accept all the ridicule that will come from doing it 🙂 .  I would define my swing by saying I can play ok in spite of it.. 😉

I think your overview is great. 

I'm actually really on the fence about Arccos. We have had some battles recently and may be looking to make the switch to shotscope. The only saving grace is I've had Arccos for so long i know it inside and out.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm actually really on the fence about Arccos. We have had some battles recently and may be looking to make the switch to shotscope. The only saving grace is I've had Arccos for so long i know it inside and out.

I was impressed with Shotscope - though I received it just as I was entering my season of tournament play... so I never really got into the habit of using it.  The other issue (and this was a mistake on my part) is that I opted for the H4 unit, so it requires the tag tap to log the shot.  I should have gone with the watch so I only had to recreate the missed shots, not be diligent about tapping on every shot (plus, wasn't comfortable with the H4 unit on my belt with only a magnet holding it in place, so I put it in my pocket... more times than not... I would be headed down the fairway before realizing I forgot to tap the tag.  Then I changes out some clubs and didn't move the tags... just laziness on my part.  But the data received is worth the effort.. I need to build a habit during the winter so it is second nature when I hit spring.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had a chance to play much, however I did manage to get a quick video of some swings today. 

I wanted to have a more consistent angle for take away. I always felt like my right wrist was very bent. I made a small change at the range essentially with a slight forward press. This instantly cured a hook and I was then hitting pretty straight balls or if anything fades and the odd push. Was very new with such a slight and small change. I think this mainly just made me leave the club face open. Not entirely sure why, but it did. Anyway so a small focus has been continuing this and simply closing the face. 

I use to slice the ball then made changes and went to a draw or hook and believe my perception of the face being at target is actually really open because I was so use to over drawing or hooking the ball the face needs to look very open. Anyway I am happier ish with this and seems like it is working as contact as good. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Had a quick glance, the charts and diagrams are over my head, but what stood out to me focused on a trail hand grip-thumb adjustment, pelvis shifting sideways on the move away from the ball instead of pelvis turning inward and up after triggering back swing, this can cause issues with momentum building-  one being you are backing out of the strike some with arms disconnecting a little from the power source- your body.   

Would suggest whatever you work on includes practicing from a downhill lie, ball below feet, it will help staying down in the strike pocket when on a level lie.     Good luck, stay warm. 

Edited by MacTourney

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

First thing I saw when you posted your swings is very similar to the primary source of my bad habits. On your backswing, your hips turn so little. All sorts of compensations can become necessary from that, and your movement patterns are less consistent and powerful.

About a month ago I had a lesson with one of the pros at my course and that is what we worked on. After implementing the change and consciously rotating my hips more, I feel I have more time in my swing, have much better contact, and the ball goes further. My scores have been quite good as well.

A couple of drills I would recommend:

this reinforces the feel of pelvis rotation.

The other one we did is making a backswing, pausing at the top ensuring that pelvis has rotated well and correcting pelvic rotation if needed. Then hitting the ball. The contact on the first few will likely be awful, but after a few reps it will become easier. It's designed to reinforce the feel of rotating hips well.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

3 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

First thing I saw when you posted your swings is very similar to the primary source of my bad habits. On your backswing, your hips turn so little. All sorts of compensations can become necessary from that, and your movement patterns are less consistent and powerful.

About a month ago I had a lesson with one of the pros at my course and that is what we worked on. After implementing the change and consciously rotating my hips more, I feel I have more time in my swing, have much better contact, and the ball goes further. My scores have been quite good as well.

A couple of drills I would recommend:

this reinforces the feel of pelvis rotation.

The other one we did is making a backswing, pausing at the top ensuring that pelvis has rotated well and correcting pelvic rotation if needed. Then hitting the ball. The contact on the first few will likely be awful, but after a few reps it will become easier. It's designed to reinforce the feel of rotating hips well.

This is exactly what I noticed as well when I saw my swing on video, but I'm glad you mentioned it because truthfully I wasn't too sure. 

I'll do another set of videos later this week and hopefully get some more lower body Rotation.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

This is a video i relate to. Obviously Matt's swing is much more polished and he hits the ball a mile longer, however I think it is a good starting point for what i should be looking to do.

https://youtu.be/zo_d82wk1V4

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Good Morning. While I look outside & see a lot of Snow!!

Know I have to dig into your Stats. & do mine!! [ a good Winter project]

The smartest thing that I did last year was move up on Tee's. [Understand that being Smart at my Age is an oxymoron!!]

But, am now enjoying the game more. & my "overall" game has improved. I can Laff now.

Keep Swinging Sport's Fans.

It was a long, long Summer for my golf game.  Despite retiring a year ago and playing 3-5 times a week, my HDCP ballooned almost 4 points.    I have dozens and dozens of social media resources-- Youtube teaching pros, FB videos like Michael Breed, years of magazine articles and internet links.   Most people would call me a golf junkie and I guess I am-- tempered by a background in Engineering and a curiosity that means I am always fiddling with something looking to optimize.   But none of that was working.  

My reversal of fortune came in the form of an online teacher, "Zen Golf Mechanic" on YouTube.   His teaching methods are unorthodox-- although I couldn't really participate directly because he is in the U.K. and I am in Ohio, US.   But the way he approaches the golf swing and his teaching toward intent and experimentation and results have been no less than amazing.   In September, I couldn't count on breaking 90 in most of the rounds I played.   In October, I shot two 73's, 2 74's, a couple of high 70's rounds.  I had 3 eagles.  I had 5 birdies in one round.    As a 63 year old, 8 - 10 HDCP (then playing off 12), I almost couldn't believe the transformation.   But, I have been able to sustain a higher standard of play.  I now feel like I can break 80 most of the time.  I have been able to maintain my swing feels and take it to the course without hitting dozens or hundreds of balls.   I have added 20 - 25 yards to my drives, on average.  My irons are as long as ever (though I have never been a really long hitter).   I am just amazed and humbled. 

This instructor *does* offer some training aids in a package.  I have not purchased them.   I did build a rocker-board, which he advocates and uses in his lessons and I think has positive influence on my swing.   The biggest change is I feel a swing now and have no focus at all on any swing positions... or any particular backswing-- almost no technical swing thoughts at all.    I should also note that I play with some physical limitations in that I have 6 screws and a plate in my left lower leg that limits how I work out, and how much vertical force I can generate in my swing.  

Net-Net is I think I have found the golf swing I can play with for the rest of my life.  It took me 2- 3 weeks to get comfortable with it once I committed to that direction.   I wouldn't have imagined this direction in my game and I couldn't be more excited for the future.   This instruction may not be for everyone, but I can't explain my results any other way but to suggest you listen to what this instructor says and then try it for yourself.  Because he doesn't teach any one golf swing or anything particularly technical.  He simply shows you how to find your own swing in your own way that optimizes and maximizes your own physiology and capabilities.    That's the best way I can describe it.  

That's the state of my game.  

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

Hey APH, since you reside in Switzerland, kindly tell us when your golf season begins and ends......how about weather etc. Thanks for sharing your Arccos stats.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just now, fozcycle said:

Hey APH, since you reside in Switzerland, kindly tell us when your golf season begins and ends......how about weather etc. Thanks for sharing your Arccos stats.

Depends on where in the country much like in the US, but where I am the course is open year round. November to April they have forward tees open only at the course closest to me. Others are fully open. Other areas shorter, however they tend to go by the rule if it is playable and probably to be open then they will be open! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Okay tried getting some more hip rotation. Here is how it went. 

I need to look at the videos a little closer however from my perspective this is how they felt or what I had issues with.

I had a hard time finding what was my trigger to start the swing. Normally it was always a hand and this I was trying to get away from that in a sense. The swing felt shorter and more compact. Strikes were all in all okay. My focus was really on hip rotation back and not too much else. A bit of how far/long my swing was. I didn't focus on or put thought into the finish of the swing. I think I could probably put some focus on being a bit more compact at impact however as the first X number of swings all in all I would say a good start. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

A couple more Matt Blois videos I think I can really relate to and am going to use as reference. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...

As an update on this I just havent had the time to play recently. Lots going on with work, family and forum. 

Thankfully come February things ease up and will be able to get back to some training and practice. Should be a bit dryer here then too which should allow for more rounds!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...

Went back to a older swing feeling and got some video. This was probably the 6th video I took today. 

I was at the range yesterday and moved myself a slight bit closer to the ball. It helped with strike location, but was very weird. 

So today started with that. Again was making good strikes, but the video showed the same lack of hip movement. 

When I worked that in I was hitting Hosel rockets. Moving further away from the ball with hips didn't help at all either. So I was in a bit of a funny spot. Still feeling like I was trying to swing shorter, but looking long on video. 

Really ending up thinking a lot on setup and more where I found it hard to pull the trigger. 

So I went back to a older feeling. It is essentially a feeling of being taller, the arms feel a little longer and straighter. Stance is maybe a bit narrow and kinda drag the club back in transition. 

After s few strikes I liked it and was able to think less and just make swings that nearly felt effortless. The hips moved more (rotated) and if felt a bit shorter as well but still very powerful. 

Which is now available for your viewing and roasting!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Which is now available for your viewing and roasting!

Other than the fact it looks like your camera was filming backward, it looks like you're making a pretty good swing with those 100 year old iron heads. (Sorry, had to throw in a roast...you asked)

Keep up the good work, Jamie!

17 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Other than the fact it looks like your camera was filming backward, it looks like you're making a pretty good swing with those 100 year old iron heads. (Sorry, had to throw in a roast...you asked)

Keep up the good work, Jamie!

I said roast me not the clubs!!! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Jeans and a hoodie? You sir are breaking golf laws there.

Wait...I wear jeans and hoodies.

Well, then, I hope that silky smooth swing pays off by giving you lower scores this season. 

Don't forget the high top shoes 😉

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 1 month later...

I think it's a shame that you had to deal with such a bad fitter. You'd think this person might be willing to listen to you as you know your game and clubs better that they do. 

In other news, I'm glad to see you're pretty happy with how your game is going so far this year, especially bunker play. I think your driver will come around. It's amazing how the club with the biggest footprint can cause so many problems. 

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread as I just signed up for my first tournament of the season and want to get my game back in shape. Had a pretty poor round last time out and while there are flashes it is still a work in progress...

Putting I am very happy with, iron play has been a disaster and same with chipping. 

Off the tee has been hit and miss and really just need to dial in which shaft I am going to use. 

More to come! 

May 3rd is the first round at a course I have never played so the Rapsodo is going to get a lot of work. 

Stack has been started and will get back onto the Hackmotion to get some ideas on where things are at there. 

Stay tuned!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW