Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DO YOU JUDGE ANOTHER PLAYER BY WHAT CLUBS ARE IN HIS BAG?

I'm always checking out what clubs people play with, looking for new kit or clubs I may have played with in the past. In my head I don't think I judge but I know in one instance I just couldn't hold my tongue.

I worked away from home a few years ago for 4 years, living in Bed and Breakfast a couple of nights a week, 3 days in the office and 2 working from home. I stored a set of clubs in the office so in the evenings I could go golfing. I started going by myself then was joined by an enthusiastic beginner and we would play once or twice a week during the summer months. We then got talking to another guy who was interested and said he hadn't played in a while, so we invited him along. He turned up on the tee with an weathered leather bag with one strap and a full set of clubs and dressed a bit like Old Tom Morris with a thick Aran knit jumper and dress jacket.

After a few holes of him topping and chunking nearly every shot. I asked about his clubs "Yeah, my dad got them for me when I was growing up." he said. The guy was in his late 50s. I asked if I could have a try of one of the clubs. They were Wilson blades from the 70s, the grips were smooth and perished.

"Have you ever had them regripped"

"No"

I gave him a shot of my Adams CB3s and he was amazed by the feel.

I advised him to get them regripped but the next week he turned up with a complete new set of  Wilson Staff CB300s. It took about 20 shots of his round but he had taken about 150 to play 18 the week before,

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

No, I do not judge anyone about their bags contents.  I have zero interest in that.  The larger question is, in my opinion, why would anyone?

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

When I play with someone I don’t know I look carefully at their bag, their clubs, their clothes, shoes, everything.  Especially if they want to have a bet!

I’m an equipment nerd and like working on and building clubs.

If I see lead tape or BB&F ferrules I know the guy is either a great player or a tinkerer like me.

My clubs frequently bring questions since they have no markings on them.  

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Judge? No.  Curious? Always. 
Don’t pay much attention unless it’s clear they are playing something inappropriate for them - like 20 year old players clubs and they are a once a month happy to make a bogey player… Or the grips are obviously long gone - I see that all the time. I just hand them my club and ask “how does that feel?” 
I am super interested, however, into bag tags and head covers - always interested in other courses people have played.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

23 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Or the grips are obviously long gone - I see that all the time. I just hand them my club and ask “how does that feel?” 

Haha, this one baffles me too. I don’t understand how some people hold on. I played with someone recently using old golf pride green victory grips that were so hard they were cracking off at the bottom. He wasn’t bad either.

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

On 11/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Judge? No.  Curious? Always. 

Same here. If you're asking this question on a golf forum, of course we're pretty much all going to answer along the lines of looking at their gear. I'm always curious what people have in their bag. 

But I never judge. I played once with an older gent who's newest club was a Ping G5 driver. He was dead straight all day long and deadly on the greens with 20+ year old clubs. I also have a friend who needs 2 new sets of irons a year and has never broken 90. I really don't care what folks are playing are wearing. I judge them based on their behavior and how they treat the course & their playing partners.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 months later...

Why judge other folks by what they have in their bag.  You have your own game to worry about so I'd stick with practice with a purpose and posting a good score. Personally I prefer a  set of  GI or SGI irons.  I have a set of Cleveland Halo Irons which are hybrid looking irons and a few of my friends have commented on how well I hit them.  One old fart who plays with us is going to buy a set so Cleveland you owe me one.... 😄

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I judge their judgment, sophistication and intelligence, but by no means their skill. However, most really good players have serious clubs with decent specifications, but there are always anomalies. 

That said, I feel my own set ( divided between honma, yamaha, epon, vokey and rife) is inadequate not by choice, but by limitations of what is made and what is marketed. To that I blame mostly the operation of markets and marketing. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

2 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

I judge their judgment, sophistication and intelligence, but by no means their skill. However, most really good players have serious clubs with decent specifications, but there are always anomalies. 

That said, I feel my own set ( divided between honma, yamaha, epon, vokey and rife) is inadequate not by choice, but by limitations of what is made and what is marketed. To that I blame mostly the operation of markets and marketing. 

Curious - what exactly are the limitations of what is being made and marketed?  What would be better?

I never judge another golfer, but I am only really interested in the best players clubs, more importantly how they were fitted and what the process was for them to get to their set especially their shafts. 

committed to performance excellence

On 11/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Hoyoymac said:

When I play with someone I don’t know I look carefully at their bag, their clubs, their clothes, shoes, everything.  Especially if they want to have a bet!

I’m an equipment nerd and like working on and building clubs.

If I see lead tape or BB&F ferrules I know the guy is either a great player or a tinkerer like me.

My clubs frequently bring questions since they have no markings on them.  

yeah, no betting with guys I dont know, 

committed to performance excellence

@Lacassem this thread makes me think of Tom... You want to judge him from his ragtag set of clubs, knowing he doesn't play often, and has such a relaxed demeanor...

But he always seems to put up a sneaky low number against us!  Some guys just got skills man, regardless of what they're gaming.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

@Lacassem this thread makes me think of Tom... You want to judge him from his ragtag set of clubs, knowing he doesn't play often, and has such a relaxed demeanor...

But he always seems to put up a sneaky low number against us!  Some guys just got skills man, regardless of what they're gaming.

Need to go back through this thread but yes, brother in law Tom was a great golfer from what I have heard back in the day, played in high school. Fundamentally is just very good. Could go 2 years of not playing and shoot a 90 no sweat.

To give you folks an idea....He often plays any ball but signatory a pink precept, he has a teenagers pink dunlop wood, among other crazy clubs....Hes a gem on the course

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Need to go back through this thread but yes, brother in law Tom was a great golfer from what I have heard back in the day, played in high school. Fundamentally is just very good. Could go 2 years of not playing and shoot a 90 no sweat.

To give you folks an idea....He often plays any ball but signatory a pink precept, he has a teenagers pink dunlop wood, among other crazy clubs....Hes a gem on the course

I forgot about that fairway wood! 🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

This is so Tom. He also has a 3 wood that insists on using that has been dead for 10 years..... I call it his stroke club because he wastes at least 1 stroke every time he uses it. That pink dunlop club is like a cartoon when he swings it, as the shaft wraps around him. 

Gotta love it!!!!

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

Goes back to the teachings of Harvey Penick- 

He suggested that there's plenty to worry about when playing against a guy, or gal, with a poor grip and a bad swing. Those players had learned, by playing and practice, how to make it work.

I feel the same goes for clubs. I've seen players with all types of older clubs that could play- lights out. 

And I'll NEVER bet with them🤑 

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X