Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How Many Wedges Do You Play?

How Many Wedges? (includes PW)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Wedges? (includes PW)

• It alternates

I think this makes sense if you think you will use the 5W more than you will use/need that middle wedge.

As far as building up the grip, how will that impact you when you grip the club at full length?

Yes, i think i will def use the 5W more. There are some shorter par 5's around that i can get to with a 5w where the 3w is too long and the hybrid just wont get there. There are also some 245 yard par 3's that require a PERFECT once in a blue moon with a hybrid shot or else im short with that hybrid. I would like to be able to reach these par 3's with the 5 wood. I dont know why i didnt do this earlier? :unsure:

as for the grip, i meant just the lower half so that its the same as the upper half.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, i think i will def use the 5W more. There are some shorter par 5's around that i can get to with a 5w where the 3w is too long and the hybrid just wont get there. There are also some 245 yard par 3's that require a PERFECT once in a blue moon with a hybrid shot or else im short with that hybrid. I would like to be able to reach these par 3's with the 5 wood. I dont know why i didnt do this earlier? :unsure:

as for the grip, i meant just the lower half so that its the same as the upper half.

Sounds like a good decision to me.

I understood your point about the grips. For me, I wouldn't want to have one club that was gripped differently than the others, but that's JMO.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Same, same. I do it because it gets me a little more height, what about you. Why do you use your LW out of the sand?

I just feel that I get better spin with it out the bunkers, and also I find it slides under the ball a bit easier than the rather chunky r7 wedges! Obviously it occasionally depends on the condition of the sand, how long the bunker shot is etc etc...

I have it in my sig, but I play 46* pitching wedge, *50 gap wedge, *56 degree sand wedge and *60 lob wedge. I probably use my sand wedge more than any other club in my bag other than my putter.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I have it in my sig, but I play 46* pitching wedge, *50 gap wedge, *56 degree sand wedge and *60 lob wedge. I probably use my sand wedge more than any other club in my bag other than my putter.

Need to find more greens in regulation on those long par 4's then :(

i currently have a PW, a 51, a 54 and a 58 but am seriously considering putting the 5 wood back in the bag therefore one of the wedges has to go. So I was thinking about going 47, 52 and 58. The 52 may require some tinkering to 53 or i may take the 58 to 57 just for even gaps. I think i can control the 52 enough if i build up the grip so that when i choke down I "shouldnt" have a tendency to pull it.

Anyone else go this route and what did you think?

That is basically what I did, yes. I just made sure the wedges had consistent yardage gaps and I was fine.

I play 3 wedges.

AP2 PW= 120 yd

Vokey 52= 100 yd

Vokey 58= 85 yd

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I have a PW that came with my irons. Then I have two different 56* SWs. One with a cavity back, much more forgiving and longer on full shots, the other a traditional blade-style wedge that is much more controllable in flop shots, bunker shots and chip shots. There is nothing that could be done with a 60* that I cannot do with a 56*.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

Need to find more greens in regulation on those long par 4's then ;)

You ain't kidding. My GIR stat is one of the areas I really need to work on this year. It sux!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Three wedges for me, PW, 54*, & 60*

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

You have 8 wedges in your bag? :)

Swap alot depending on the course and how messed up I am that day. When I play a Short Par 3, I have been known to carry all 8. It pisses off my playing partners when I go into the "well, is it the 50, or the 52, or a soft 48?"

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Most of the time I carry:

PW (47° degree from my set)

52°

58° (actually, it's a low bounce 56° I bent to 58°)

64°

Occasionally I'll pull the 58° and the 64° and replace them with a 56° and a 60°.

The 64° was originally an experiment, but I have so much fun with it that I don't like to take it out of the bag.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Most of the time I carry:

PW (47° degree from my set)

52°

58° (actually, it's a low bounce 56° I bent to 58°)

64°

Occasionally I'll pull the 58° and the 64° and replace them with a 56° and a 60°.

The 64° was originally an experiment, but I have so much fun with it that I don't like to take it out of the bag.

A 64* is something that I've always wanted to try and never have. I love my 60* so much that sometimes I think a 64* just has to be even better; most of the time I think I should leave well enough alone.

• SPY VIP

Based on my other wedges, it would be about 70 yards on a full swing for me.

OK, so that is a bit longer than I would have thought... thought 55 ish

is your 60* about 80-85?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

do you find that the 54 or the 60 is your goto short game club?

The 60 is pretty much all I will use for chipping, but I will hit pitch shots with my 54. With the grind that I put on my 60, it is very versatile on chips and short shots, but is not so good for anything more than a 3/4 swing.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• SPY VIP

Thanks. I am not a great wedge player and after reading Utley's book and listening to others on the boards I would really like to get to a place of one wedge for 50 yards in.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

OK, so that is a bit longer than I would have thought... thought 55 ish

is your 60* about 80-85?

Yeah, my "full" swing distances are 80, 90, and 100 yards for the 60, 56, and 52. The problem that I have is that my PW, despite being 47*, is 125. I can't tell you how many times I had 110 or 115 into a green this past week.

Yeah, my "full" swing distances are 80, 90, and 100 yards for the 60, 56, and 52. The problem that I have is that my PW, despite being 47*, is 125. I can't tell you how many times I had 110 or 115 into a green this past week.

what happens when you knock it down??? go farther??

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

what happens when you knock it down??? go farther??

I can hit it 115 if I grip it down to the metal, or if I make a 3/4 swing, but I tended to pull either of those shots quite a bit. I think it was mainly an issue of it being early in the season and I wasn't ready to hit anything but full shots yet.

I can hit it 115 if I grip it down to the metal, or if I make a 3/4 swing, but I tended to pull either of those shots quite a bit. I think it was mainly an issue of it being early in the season and I wasn't ready to hit anything but full shots yet.

you hot your wedges high... right??

This happens to me a lot to, but I also practice this shot a lot, so I've actually gotten pretty good at it.

This happens to me a lot to, but I also practice this shot a lot, so I've actually gotten pretty good at it.

In the past, this shot hasn't been a problem for me, so I suspect that as the season goes on and my swing gets in better rhythm I will be fine with those numbers again.

Yeah, I think so. I don't play with many good golfers, but I've never noticed anyone hitting wedges much higher than me.

and by hot, i mean hit...

The reason you have such a serious distance gap, I think, is because of the height you flight your wedges. I have struggled with the same issue for years. Finally, after playing with some really good players, I have learned that the lower flying wedges go a bit farther, and tend to stop when they hit, instead of backing up. For me, It is almost a punch shot... but it works.

Archived