TESTERS WANTED! ×

How Many Wedges Do You Play?

How Many Wedges? (includes PW)  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Wedges? (includes PW)

• It alternates

How many wedges you you guys play? I play a 47* PW, a 54* SW, and a 60* LW, but I hit 95% of chips/pitches with the LW, even sand shots. The SW is just to fill a yardage gap, it goes a solid 100 yards.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PW - a cheap one that came in my cheap set

54 - Cleveland CG 10

60 - Cleveland CG 10

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

x forged '08 47 PW ( may be wrong with the degree?)

X forged chrome 52 wedge

x forged vintage 56 degree with mack daddy grooves

x forged vintage 60 degree with mack daddy grooves and c grind sole.

120 pw

100 52 degree

85 and in, 56 degree

my sixty is for flops short side and any thing else i need to get up quick and down with spin. I use a nike one platinum '08 model and lets say im a digger of the ball so spinning it is no problem and watching back up is even better.

Im thinking of getting a 50 degree wedge to close the gap of my PW and 52 but have to take out a hybrid to do it but i only hit it maybe once a round if any so thats the club to move for me. I dunno 5 might be nuts but 4 is definately right to have, a high percentage of shots for the game of golf is 120 or in so u need more tools for more shots right ?

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

3 for me.

48° Pitching Wedge

52° Gap Wedge

58° Lob Wedge

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

3 for me.

48° Pitching Wedge

52° Gap Wedge

58° Lob Wedge

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I use 4

47 PW Titleist 910 AP2

52 GW Vokey Custom Design TVD

56 SW Vokey Custom Design TVD

60 LW Vokey Custom Design TVD

The 52 was the last on i added and that was for the distance gap, i am happy with that decision. I did start using it when i have a chip close to the green but the flag is far away. The 56 is my go-to club, if i have to improvise i will usually go for it. the 60 i also really like, no fear of hitting flops with it, can be agressive and know it will produce

Golf is suppoused to be hard!

I play 4 wedges mostly because I haven't found a fairway wood I like. So currently I'm rolling with my PW, 52*, 56*, 60*

That is what I used to do, but then I dropped the GW, then i switched the 56 to a 54 to fill the yardage gap. I also put a 3 irons in the bag to get up to 14 clubs.

How many wedges you you guys play? I play a 47* PW, a 54* SW, and a 60* LW, but I hit 95% of chips/pitches with the LW, even sand shots. The SW is just to fill a yardage gap, it goes a solid 100 yards.

Four.

45* PW, 52* AW, 56* SW and 60* LW. I could easily dispose of the 52* wedge as I rarely use it. I generally use PW from 100 to 120, full shots, knock downs etc. Actually I have the ability to hit a variety of shots with all my irons. It comes in handy when playing in heavy winds.

Semper Fi

My Club

Generally I play 2 wedges, 52* and 58* for around the greens. Recently, I've added a extra 61* with a custom grind to help generate a little more spin when needing to stop the ball quickly. So far I like having the third wedge, but we'll see if I keep it in the bag or not...

I now have 4 wedges... Used to play 3, but found situations (particularly bunker shots) where I realized I really needed a 4th wedge.

PW: 46*

GW: 50*

SW: 54*

LW: 58*

PW - 130 yards.

GW - 120 yards

SW - 110 yards

LW - 95 yards.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

I tried around the middle of last year to switch to 48' 52' 58' from 48,52,56,60. I have need had so little success with a club switch. I couldn't do a thing right. It was weird. I felt like I was always taking a little bit off a club. Switched back and had my best round in 3 months. Coincedence, probably, but I havent messed with the gaps since.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I just feel with the 48 52 58 combo that I keep it pretty simple. I had a hard time around the green and with only one club in the bag to pitch with, I got better. When I had 56 60, I just didn't know which to use and would hit quite a few bad shots.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

I tried around the middle of last year to switch to 48' 52' 58' from 48,52,56,60. I have need had so little success with a club switch. I couldn't do a thing right. It was weird. I felt like I was always taking a little bit off a club. Switched back and had my best round in 3 months. Coincedence, probably, but I havent messed with the gaps since.

I would imagine that this is more related to your comfort with the original set up than anything else. If you can hit a 52 or a 58, there's no reason you can't hit a 60 or 56. For me, I use my wedges as follows:

PW: Full shots, knockdowns, chips

52: Full shots & half shots (waist high, 9 o clock on the Pelz system)

56: Full shots, half shots, bunkers

60: Full shots, half shots, all pitches

This keeps things pretty simple for me. My 60 is one of my favorite clubs, I'm always happy reaching for it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I personally play 3 wedges,

PW

SW (Both from my set of r7 irons)

LW (60* Vokey)

Tend to play full shots with PW and SW.

PW for low chips around the green, LW if I need a bit more bite or loft.

LW also used for mid range pitch shots e.g inside 50yards

Oh and I tend to use my lob wedge out of the sand!

Same, same. I do it because it gets me a little more height, what about you. Why do you use your LW out of the sand?

Macgregor MT Pro-M pitching wedge 125yds

Ping Tour 52* +1 1/2" 115yds

Ping Tour 54* standard length 100yds

Bobby Jones/Pelz 60* up to 75ish

46* Cleveland CG red 135

48* Cleveland CG 15 125

50* Cleveland CG 12 120

52* Cleveland CG 12 DSG 115

54* Cleveland CG 12 105

56* Cleveland CG 12 DSG 100

58* Cleveland CG 12 60 and in

60* Cleveland CG 12 DSG 54 and in

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You have 8 wedges in your bag? :)

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

i currently have a PW, a 51, a 54 and a 58 but am seriously considering putting the 5 wood back in the bag therefore one of the wedges has to go. So I was thinking about going 47, 52 and 58. The 52 may require some tinkering to 53 or i may take the 58 to 57 just for even gaps. I think i can control the 52 enough if i build up the grip so that when i choke down I "shouldnt" have a tendency to pull it.

Anyone else go this route and what did you think?

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

i currently have a PW, a 51, a 54 and a 58 but am seriously considering putting the 5 wood back in the bag therefore one of the wedges has to go. So I was thinking about going 47, 52 and 58. The 52 may require some tinkering to 53 or i may take the 58 to 57 just for even gaps. I think i can control the 52 enough if i build up the grip so that when i choke down I "shouldnt" have a tendency to pull it.

Anyone else go this route and what did you think?

I think this makes sense if you think you will use the 5W more than you will use/need that middle wedge.

As far as building up the grip, how will that impact you when you grip the club at full length?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have a good time with the 52. It shouldn't be too different than your 51. You will just have to practice a while on taking a little off of it to help fill the gap.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

46* Cleveland CG red 135

48* Cleveland CG 15 125

50* Cleveland CG 12 120

52* Cleveland CG 12 DSG 115

54* Cleveland CG 12 105

56* Cleveland CG 12 DSG 100

58* Cleveland CG 12 60 and in

60* Cleveland CG 12 DSG 54 and in

You have 8 wedges in your bag? :unsure:

Nic has admitted to having club throwing issues. Starting with 8 may be the only way he can still have one on the 18th. :wacko:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

You have 8 wedges in your bag? :unsure:

I carry 4, but rotate depending on the irons i am playing. 46* PW means 50*, 54*, 58*. 48*PW means 52*, 56*, 60*. I picked up the 48* CG15 with the expectation of playing the MX 300's this year and going 5-9 iron. I hate the 300 PW. But now, i'm not sure.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived