Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Suggestions for the PGA tour

revkev

I thought of posting this in the LiV thread but wanted to see if I could provoke some discussion and it really is directed towards the PGA tour.  I'm one who was unhappy at its response to LiV.  Early on it was clear that there were tour members who were not happy with the tour.  Certainly, you can't keep everyone happy, but IMO enough good players left that it is clear that something was wrong.  Perhaps it still is.  So this is a great chance for the tour to evaluate how it operates and particularly how it treats its membership.  Here are two suggestions that I'd love to see considered:

1.  Eliminate cuts or else provide appearance fees for all tournaments except majors.  Events promote themselves by using the names of players in the field.  Currently if a guy misses a cut, it means that he has lost money that week while the tour and others are making money off of his name recognition and appearance.  Not paying players who play in a tournament a performance fee is a policy out of the 50's and 60's.  It should no longer be the case.

2.  This one has already started but firmly fix the number of players who will play in premier events at 50 or 60.  It will take a few years, but these events need to be spread out more evenly throughout the season and around the country/world.  The other events are then called the qualifying series.  They are used to fill additional spots in the premier events - lets see you picked 50 as your auto number - open up an additional 16 spots and the top 16 no exempt guys from the qualifying tournaments, get into the premier event.  In that even there's a way for a qualifier to play his way into the top 50.  It could be very exciting to watch.

Thoughts?  Additional or different suggestions?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Clearly the Tour has some challenges. Despite those challenges I still come down on the Tour side in the battle (and it is a battle) with LIV and the Saudis. The Tour does need to evolve and change. I think Andy Johnson of the FriedEgg and Shotgun Start podcasts has some sound suggestions. 

To your first item - providing a travel or expense stipend for player and caddy would make good sense. Particularly the young/new guys (see below).  But I can’t imagine a no cut event with the full field playing Sunday - it’s too slow as it is now.  If JB Holmes didn’t make the cut and was in the first group out that’d never finish before Monday…. Cuts have to remain. 

The elevated events, your second point, are what is keeping the Tour and the remaining stars intact. That will continue. 

The real trick for the Tour to figure out is how to provide a faster and better path for the stars of tomorrow. The college guys, or the top of the KFT, or the best players on the LAT or Canadian, etc…. Guys who can take down the bottom half of the tour (who aren’t making the cut) buf can’t get starts of their own. That is where the guaranteed Saudi money poses the greatest risk for the future of the Tour.

What I really wish the Tour would figure out is how to take ownership of is the broadcast experience of the fans at home. I fully understand that to get the money they want from sponsors to pay the higher purses (especially w elevated events) the network broadcast rights will cost and that means they have to sell ads.  But wow, it’s almost unwatchable sometimes.  And why on earth does the Tour or the network need their own ad telling us what we are watching???? I know these guys are good, that’s why I’m watching… Anyway.  Should the Saudis buy an ad free platform that directly competes w CBS or NBC for eyeballs that is where the Tour faces trouble.  It is a bit of a catch 22, the money machine must keep churning - but it’s the fan experience that gets ground up in the gears.  When “playing thru” first started I thought that was the answer, I’m not so sure now.  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

@revkev I think you just described the LIV Tour, didn't you!  I like @WaffleHouseTour idea about a stipend for caddies, and the new players will get financial help moving forward. As mentioned, I think the viewing experience is the biggest detriment to the tour. We rarely see live golf anymore and the amount of ads are just overwhelming. I know people complain about LIV being on YouTube, but I have no problem bringing their broadcast up on my 65" big screen and commercial free is so refreshing! My only suggestion would be to pair back the schedule or mandate the top 50 need to play in more events. The prestigious Butterfield Bermuda event, with Ben Crane ( I thought he was dead) leading a less than stellar field is not must see TV. The fact is LIV has a stronger field than the PGA tour this week, which is kinda scary with all the talent they have. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

12 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

@revkev I think you just described the LIV Tour, didn't you!  I like @WaffleHouseTour idea about a stipend for caddies, and the new players will get financial help moving forward. As mentioned, I think the viewing experience is the biggest detriment to the tour. We rarely see live golf anymore and the amount of ads are just overwhelming. I know people complain about LIV being on YouTube, but I have no problem bringing their broadcast up on my 65" big screen and commercial free is so refreshing! My only suggestion would be to pair back the schedule or mandate the top 50 need to play in more events. The prestigious Butterfield Bermuda event, with Ben Crane ( I thought he was dead) leading a less than stellar field is not must see TV. The fact is LIV has a stronger field than the PGA tour this week, which is kinda scary with all the talent they have. 

I have trouble with the shorter tournaments and shot gun starts though. Particularly the shotgun starts. The course is designed to play a certain way for a purpose. 

But I do think LiV has innovations that the PGA should consider, particularly in regards to compensation, that the PGA must consider or it will continue to loose membership 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I guess my question is given the changes being made wouldnt it be worth seeing how these work first? 

The tour is far from perfect, but they have made an effort to make the game better for all involved including the 500k for players guaranteed. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think the new Earnings Assurance Program guarantees that every fully exempt member of the PGA Tour will get $500,000, credited against their on-course earnings.  This should help young players (and their caddies) starting out.   Knowing there's a bit more financial security helps creates more incentive for the Korn Ferry and other feeder league players to take that next step.  It also adds a bit more pressure on Q School (like they need it) to become exempt member.  For non-exempt members who play and miss the cut, they will now receive a $5K stipend to help travel costs.

I think the elevated events will attract the higher echelon players so viewers will get opportunity to see their favorite players more often.  Throw in the majors, Players Championship and other key events, the better players will get more face time with TV viewers.  I think that's one way to draw more fans to watch during non-major events.   More fans watching will yield higher advertising revenue and ultimately more opportunities to support the PGA Tour players.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

23 hours ago, revkev said:

1.  Eliminate cuts or else provide appearance fees for all tournaments except majors.  Events promote themselves by using the names of players in the field.  Currently if a guy misses a cut, it means that he has lost money that week while the tour and others are making money off of his name recognition and appearance.  Not paying players who play in a tournament a performance fee is a policy out of the 50's and 60's.  It should no longer be the case.

... Sounds like a Participation Trophy but with money. The thing I have always appreciated most about the PGA TOUR is play well, get paid. Play poorly and don't get paid. Play poorly for a year and lose your card. I love the story lines around cuts. I love the great players rarely missing a cut. That said, I have no issue with players not losing money by playing in a tournament and covering expenses seems very reasonable. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

24 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Sounds like a Participation Trophy but with money. The thing I have always appreciated most about the PGA TOUR is play well, get paid. Play poorly and don't get paid. Play poorly for a year and lose your card. I love the story lines around cuts. I love the great players rarely missing a cut. That said, I have no issue with players not losing money by playing in a tournament and covering expenses seems very reasonable. 

That would be my preferred method of compensation. Someone is making money off their name, they should be compensated for it. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 10/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, revkev said:

I thought of posting this in the LiV thread but wanted to see if I could provoke some discussion and it really is directed towards the PGA tour.  I'm one who was unhappy at its response to LiV.  Early on it was clear that there were tour members who were not happy with the tour.  Certainly, you can't keep everyone happy, but IMO enough good players left that it is clear that something was wrong.  Perhaps it still is.  So this is a great chance for the tour to evaluate how it operates and particularly how it treats its membership.  Here are two suggestions that I'd love to see considered:

2.  This one has already started but firmly fix the number of players who will play in premier events at 50 or 60.  It will take a few years, but these events need to be spread out more evenly throughout the season and around the country/world.  The other events are then called the qualifying series.  They are used to fill additional spots in the premier events - lets see you picked 50 as your auto number - open up an additional 16 spots and the top 16 no exempt guys from the qualifying tournaments, get into the premier event.  In that even there's a way for a qualifier to play his way into the top 50.  It could be very exciting to watch.

Thoughts?  Additional or different suggestions?

I've long preferred the Champions Tour 3 day format.  I say this both from attending and televised viewing. 4 round events just seem too long - especially as many events as they pack into the season. Except for majors, I think the one round cut would work well.  The players would no doubt love to have that extra day to use for rest, practice, whatever.  

Now having seen them playing in shorts, this old school curmudgeon says change that too.  

Many of the recent PGA changes have been Phil inspired and things that he, Tiger and others have been wanting to see for many years.  Jay & Co. are trying hard to not look like their following LIV's lead but, to an extent, they are.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

25 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've long preferred the Champions Tour 3 day format.  I say this both from attending and televised viewing. 4 round events just seem too long - especially as many events as they pack into the season. Except for majors, I think the one round cut would work well.  The players would no doubt love to have that extra day to use for rest, practice, whatever.  

Now having seen them playing in shorts, this old school curmudgeon says change that too.  

Many of the recent PGA changes have been Phil inspired and things that he, Tiger and others have been wanting to see for many years.  Jay & Co. are trying hard to not look like their following LIV's lead but, to an extent, they are.  

On the PGA Tour a pro can have an off day and still win.  On the Champions Tour a pro with an off day is middle of the pack... it's a sprint to the trophy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

On the PGA Tour a pro can have an off day and still win.  On the Champions Tour a pro with an off day is middle of the pack... it's a sprint to the trophy.

Sprints are fun too 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 weeks later...

I know a few players and in their opinion, it all comes down to the leaders and top couple players on tour calling all the shots while the other players are left to their decisions. They say that is a big reason for so many jumping ship. The guaranteed money never hurts, but they were tired of leadership only listening to a few. It is fairly obvious who those few are.

Professional sports, seemingly other than golf and perhaps skiing, seem to do a pretty good job of easing the everyday details for their players.

The Deere Classic has seemed to do better in terms of the field once they hit on the idea of offering a chartered flight to The Open.

I'm not an accountant nor am I a tax expert but why couldn't the PGA set up a flight early Sunday evening from the current tournament to the next event and make it available to any player/caddie that wanted to make use of it?  Heck, charge a nominal cost if that's necessary to keep things on the up and up. 

Certainly players can choose to travel independently for whatever reason; not playing the next event/private jet/motor home with the family/etc.

I've yet to attend any large gathering in a nice location where I wasn't given the opportunity to book lodging at a choice of convenient locations at a preferred rate.  Again, it'd seem that could be done to add convenience, perhaps offer cost savings.

When I volunteered at the Greater Milwaukee Open we picked guys up at the airport, took them to the hotel, they had courtesy cars at their disposal, etc., etc.

Perhaps all that is done routinely at present and I'm merely demonstrating my ignorance.

Making participation for the lower levels of the field would seem pretty straightforward.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

• 1 month later...

I loved the use by NBC of drone cams to follow golf ball during Tournament players championship.  Would like to see more of this coverage instead of 3 ft putts for par.

Driver : Callaway Epic 10.5 senior flex

FW.  Taylormade M3ti senior flex 3W

Callaway Epic sr. Flex 5W

Hybrid   Callaway GBB 3,5 Sr flex

Irons Mizuno 900 Hot metal sr flex 4 thru SW

Putter Callaway triple track mallet

• 3 months later...

I like the idea of appearance fees and keeping the cut. Pay players to be there and then reward those that qualified to play all weekend. They’re all providing content for the PGA Tour, might as well ease the cost of playing in these tournaments some.

I’d also love to see more Waste Management style par 3’s throughout the smaller tournaments. Not the majors, because obviously the stakes are much higher, but even the tour pros love the environment provided by the WM. Get the fans involved as much as possible and the game grows as well as player satisfaction. 

I’m sure there’s silly rules on the book that could be added too, but off the top of my head the only one I can think of is playing out of a divot.

:ping-small: G425 Max | :PXG: 3W, Hybrid, 4-PW | :taylormade-small: 52* 56* 60* | :ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser | :titleist-small: ProV1 yellow

Make golf fun, no matter your skill!

My real name is Nate if you prefer to use that!