TESTERS WANTED! ×

Interesting Data

Stuart81

Morning Guys

Some interesting data from a my Twitter feed the other day, just thought I would share it with you

9e68e020621c11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

I am pleased though as we are in the process of switching our stock from Titleist to TM at the moment, and I know it could be hard work convincing some guys that PROV1 is not the Holy Grail and other balls perform as well, and if not better in some cases.

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Sorry forgot to say the Balls in order are

Titleist PROV1

TM Penta TP3

Titleist Professional 90

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

I'm of the opinion that you can take the top pro line ball from each manufacturer... the models that are played by the professionals on tour... and there won't be any significant performance difference between any of them. There might be a small difference in feel and spin, but all of the balls are going to perform the same... meaning there will be no difference in the scores that a player would shoot if that player used one of the other balls. I normally play one specific brand, but its mostly habit... I'm accustomed to seeing that name on my ball when I get to it in the fairway, and I position the markings a specific way when I spot it to putt. I play a different brand or model occasionally, but I've never found any top pro line ball that I think performs decidedly better than any of the others.

I'm of the opinion that you can take the top pro line ball from each manufacturer... the models that are played by the professionals on tour... and there won't be any significant performance difference between any of them. There might be a small difference in feel and spin, but all of the balls are going to perform the same... meaning there will be no difference in the scores that a player would shoot if that player used one of the other balls. I normally play one specific brand, but its mostly habit... I'm accustomed to seeing that name on my ball when I get to it in the fairway, and I position the markings a specific way when I spot it to putt. I play a different brand or model occasionally, but I've never found any top pro line ball that I think performs decidedly better than any of the others.

So do you think it's just personal opinion when someone decides on a tour caliber golf ball?

I think it comes down to habit, people are creatures of habit and Titleist balls & FJ shoes have become a bench mark for all other brands to be judged against and we have all been used to purchasing from these brands.

However a 4 yard gain is still a gain and these figures can help shift balls + throw in a RBZ 3 wood could be 21 yard gain over your old 3 wood and ball ! : )

Stuart

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

I agree to a point, but there is a difference between balls like the ProV1 and ProV1x. Just like clubs, you need to fit the ball to your swing or you'll lose distance if you play a ball that's too hard for you.

The USGA listing is a pretty good for finding spin ratings:

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

To find ball hardness, I use:

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=7923 (from another thread, kinda old though)

I think the distance difference with the driver between top balls is only five or six yards at best on a good strike. For me, that is not a significant difference and that small difference will not make a difference in the score I shoot.

Tour caliber balls will produce consistent distances for all shots through the bag and spin consistently around the greens. A less than premium ball may go different distances when hit with the same force, and may not spin consistently so short shots will be hard to judge. If I hit a pitch shot with a less than premium ball, I'll see it roll out more when it lands. If a ball is too hard, premium or other, I never feel like I'm hitting it solid. I won't play a ball that doesn't fly consistent distances with iron shots.

I want a ball that goes consistent distances when I hit it, feels flush on a solid strike, and fits my short game. I'm not going to sacrifice any of those requirements for extra yards from the tee. Several different premium balls fit those requirements for me.

Over the last few years I've played the Pro V, Callaway is, Vision and Penta. I don't honestly know if I could tell the difference based on performance, and certainly not enough of a difference to ever claim one was better or that I scored better with one over the other. The one thing I do notice about the ProV is that I don't get any distance out of that ball if its under 55* temperature, when its windy and/or cool out, I play Visions as they seem to perform better and I like less spin in the wind.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

The one thing I do notice about the ProV is that I don't get any distance out of that ball if its under 55* temperature, when its windy and/or cool out, I play Visions as they seem to perform better and I like less spin in the wind.

I'm the exact same way, plus I don't want to lose expensive Pro Vs when we have those conditions; I use the tour yellow Srixon Q Stars when it's cold and/or windy.

I think the distance difference with the driver between top balls is only five or six yards at best on a good strike. For me, that is not a significant difference and that small difference will not make a difference in the score I shoot.

I can't for the life of me find it, but I remember the golf channel discussing one golfer who would see a 20 yard distance increase when going from the Pro V1 to the Pro V1x, though he still had plenty of distance with the Pro V1. This was being discussed around the time of the Tournament of Champions...

I can't speak for others, but for me the Pro V1 and Pro V1x are almost interchangeable meaning that I see little difference in performance or distance. The Pro V1 feels better at impact and is my preferred ball. I don't have a very fast swing speed... about 95 or a little more, so someone with a much faster swing speed might see a difference. In fact, it may be my swing speed that makes all the premium balls perform the same for me.

I have stayed out of this ball debate long enough. I have the luxury of playing golf during the week, and while my club is very busy every morning and at noon, it is not uncommon for no one to be teeing off betweeen 1 and 3 in the afternoon. The high school golf team comes at 3:30. I usually can not get there in the mornings or even at noon to play with the groups that play then so I often play by myself. When doing this I will often play different balls. I have even taken two complete sets of golf clubs and played two rounds at the same time with different sets, But when I play with different balls I am amazed how the score will vary based on the ball. For instance, I drive the Callaway ball further than I do the Titleist. But my score is lower with a Titleist.

I hit the Nike One Platinum further than I did the Callaway and scored better than the Titleist. According to everything I read and what most people said the NOP was one of the shortest balls out there. Yet, when I played it the distance was better for me. It also was the best ball around the green. Sadly, Nike has replaced it and their new balls do not work best for me any more.

I played the older Titleist Pro V1x but the current model, 2011 Pro V1 works better for me than the V1x. I putt better with the Callaway Tour i(s). And I absolutely can not lose a Taylormade Penta. I had a TM Penta that I know I hit in the lake 3 times and it skipped across, hit it out of bounds four times and hit a tree and had it bounce back in and hit it in hazards thinking it was lost forever only to walk up and see it sitting there shinning like a diamond in a goat's ass. (Pardon the expression but is one I do not get to use everyday.) The Penta gets the highest marks for durability to me.

Having said all of that, I have noticed some differences and have preferences when playing balls but if I am not playing particularly well, I will change brands during the round to at least give me a mental change. I usually play the Pro V1 because since they are the most popular, they are the most plentiful and get knocked in the water the most. I buy mine from these people who go around and dig them out of the lakes.

While I may be able to tell a marginal difference in Tour balls. I was at least 5 stokes better with the worst (Callaway Tour i) of them when compared to the best non tour balls.

However, since the Manufacturers are changing balls every year, the ball that works best for you may also change. This is why you sometimes here the Tour Pros say they play some certain version of the ball. I loved the 2009 Pro V1x, but do not like the 2011 version.

Titleist will not change the name, but the are certainly changing the ball.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Archived