TESTERS WANTED! ×

23 Craziest Putter Designs!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

There are several lists of putter designs around the Internet. Most of them, however, are the “Top 5 Best Putters” or “Top 10″. Every time I crossed one of those lists I would think to myself: “Come on, there must be more than 10 great putters…”. So I decided to write down all the putter designs that came into my head; within half an hour I had over thirty of them listed. However, most of them were a little on the odd side, but most putters are nowadays. Afterwards I did some more research around the web and the list grew to 52 putters. But again I noticed that the majority of them were not your typical Anser style putter. So I decided, rather then coming up with putters most of you have already seen I would come up with a list of some of the wildest, craziest and most oddly shaped putters you might have never seen.

Enjoy!

CLICK HERE

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Creative design for sure...the decal kills it though in my opinion.

I like how the Epon tries to max out on the perimeter weighting for higher MOI, and it probably has the least "crazy" look.

epon-t72-putter-sm.jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I have seen about every putter that exists but that is one I have NEVER seen! That will definitely make the new list if we make one.

I'm a little disapointed to not make the list of 23

new_scorpion-wb1.jpg

new_scorpion-300.jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I know that there is work being done on the site...maybe a change was made. Believe it or not we already have to do an upgrade for the forum. Does that putter have a name?

Sweet - btw - i just got my first notification of a thread reply with your posting

#TruthDigest

I know that there is work being done on the site...maybe a change was made. Believe it or not we already have to do an upgrade for the forum. Does that putter have a name?

Blue Scorpion Putter by Manavian Golf -

http://www.geocities.ws/manavsgolf/blue_scorpion.htm

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Assuming you designed it? Tell me more about it man...love to hear the story of how it came to be.

Oh wow - well back in winter of 2002 i was driving to florida and stopped by a friends house along the way in Georgia, we started talking putters. and it became obvious that when the two ball revolution came out everyone was going to these rear weighted mallet putters, but for some reason they kept leaving them and going back.

well in trying to figure out why that was happening i looked at the design of those rear weighted putters. the common denominator was that they all moved the weight back but the center of gravity vertically stayed the same or lower.

this was causing the ball to hop and jump off the face messing up distance control. basically the cg was too low in the back.

well the easiest way to fix this is to make a high tail piece - bettinardi by hogan had a great putter design that the tail had a little scoop up like a spoiler on a car. so i took that basic idea and on a napkin i drew up this crazy design that had a violin shape - or a womans curves - wide in the front, wide in the rear with a small waist and throw in a vertical piece from tungsten or steel. voila!

i wanted the face out of 1030 carbon stainless steel - the body was a lightweight 6061 aluminium and the tail was the same as the face. i wanted it fully adjustable so took a long hosel piece that was adjustable any which way you wanted with a bending bar. the whole thing is 100% cnc milled (which is why it was so pricey).

the next step was to figure out how the hell do you make this? i spoke with 40 different milling houses up from nj to maine and one company said they would work with me out of providence rhode island - they were golfers so that helped - went back got the first batch of funding and started. the initial design was much more MOI friendly and that did not pass the usga. back to the drawing board, made the adjustments and it passed. this was around jan of 2004 now. so from there i made up a bunch and headed to the florida swing of the PGA Tour in March of 04.

What an experience. Doral for the Ford championship, Mirasol for the Honda, Bay Hill for Arnies, and TPC sawgrass for the players.

Doral and Mirasol were amazing weeks. I got the putter in the hands of 12 tour pros - and a few caddies. Noteably Damon Green, Zack Johnson's caddy who i played a bunch of mini tour events with years prior, was very helpful in showing around the putter and getting me inside the ropes to talk with players (till the taylormade rep called security on me -jerk).

List of players who have them is pretty cool - Bernard, Keuhne, Bowden, Damron, T Clark, Neher, funk, charles coody, tom jenkins, espn's Chris berman - and more players that i just cant remember quite frankly. i went to about 10 events in total - deutsche bank, commerce bank seniors, greater hartford open.

the feedback was this - its great, sound is great, feel is great - do you have one lighter, and can you put lines on it.

i made it so that it all could be done if need be. so i made some 300g's - the originals were 350+g

It was a fun startup that never made it past 1st stage of funding. I have in the back burner someday to send these overseas to get them made for cheap, or sell the idea to a major OEM - (I did meet Bobby Grace, who couldnt have been nicer and wished me well with the putter he was so acknowledging of the creative aspect it took to make one)

In the end i made 60 putters all numbered 1-60 of the blue scorpion, and most are sitting in my basement collecting dust lol. we'll see, its always a conversation starter thats for sure.

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• 3 weeks later...

The Clearview , and Jack Hamm's personal putter...

putter.jpg

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

More products for the ugliest/craziest lists.

http://www.xfactordirect.com/products.htm

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Oh man, just read this thread. I've actually owned a couple of these.

puku-putter-sm.jpgheavy-putter-d1-df-sm.jpg

The PUKU i got cheap from the rep, it was shop damaged. The Heavy Putter I bought off rockbottoms ebay site for like 7 bucks, I was already getting some other stuff so for $7 thought it would be worth getting thrown in the same box. It wasn't..

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Maybe you guy could help me out. I found a putter once, that was a tiny metal cube on the end of a shaft. It was called Mr. something and was made by clevaland or adams or someone like that. Do you guys know what I mean?

Maybe you guy could help me out. I found a putter once, that was a tiny metal cube on the end of a shaft. It was called Mr. something and was made by clevaland or adams or someone like that. Do you guys know what I mean?

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean but I'm pretty sure it wasn't made by Cleveland or Adams and it might have been more of a training device than an actual gamer. But, I couldn't find anything after a quick internet search. Sorry.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean but I'm pretty sure it wasn't made by Cleveland or Adams and it might have been more of a training device than an actual gamer. But, I couldn't find anything after a quick internet search. Sorry.

I don't know if it was Cleveland or Adams, but some smaller (relatively) company like that.

• SPY VIP

I remember seeing one that was a sphere on the end of the shaft. Training tool though.

Can't remember where.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

:D

To me it looks like one of the genie shoes from Aladdin though. B)

Aladdin's shoes, Santa's Sleigh and Scorpion are the three things I always thought it looked like. The color of the anodizing sealed the deal. i wasnt going to go gold or red. Blue seemed like a soothing putter friendly color at the time - ocean, water, serenity etc.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

• SPY VIP

Aladdin's shoes, Santa's Sleigh and Scorpion are the three things I always thought it looked like. The color of the anodizing sealed the deal. i wasnt going to go gold or red. Blue seemed like a soothing putter friendly color at the time - ocean, water, serenity etc.

I like the blue, good choice. Lends to wave-name themes too. Pipeline, undertow, & etc.

Regardless, it is cool to see that you came up with the idea and got it as far as in the hands of golfers and to the pga show.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Oh no, not another Clearview thread.

Stop the madness!!!!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived