TESTERS WANTED! ×

JerryB's "Gettin' Better" thread

Gym again today, upper body pressing movements.  Tried to max out on overhead pressing; was able to hit 145 for a couple singles.  Not too far off from old PRs.

Took a full swing with my 8 iron in the garage and clipped the garage door opener.  😬  Going to make some adjustments to the setup out there.  

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Nice start to your off-season there.

I unfortunately must have sensitive shoulder, elbow and wrist joints because any sort of regular mat on concrete gives me aches and pains for days.

I would recommend the FiberBuilt Flight Deck as a cheaper and easy to move solution. It's 1.75" high so I found a USA Mat Monster Turf Mat on eBay that I use as a stance mat. It is also 1.75" high. Very easy on the joints.

Good luck!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I get the "protect the joints" and I've looked at FiberBuilt - almost went that route.  My concern was that it might be too forgiving with a fat shot.  But I'd take that over hitting off concrete.

I went with the TrueStrike gel insert hitting mat all detailed here.  I will replace the turf cover next spring - too many shots in the exact same spot - but the gel insert and base are just fine.   I wanted to build a larger area outdoors with more room to putt and chip/pitch to - but this could be made smaller for in a garage.  In fact that is my dream, but alas I live in an older house with an older garage and do not have the height/ceiling clearance.  Haven't figured out how to tell SheWhoMustBeObey that we need to move to a house with 10ft ceilings....

I went with the ProPutt interlocking base and put the TrueStrike in the middle. They cut the base and turf to allow for it.  It is not cheap - but mine is outdoors and I want it to last. 

Like I said, this could be significantly scaled down.  You can buy just the TrueStrike and a stance matt in some different configurations. 

For camera - I have two sticks from iRange Sports - the offer them with "stick in the ground" attachments, or place on a floor feet attachments. You snap your iPhone in place with magnets (either built into the new phones, or with a metal disc you stick inside the case, or on the case.  You can see the one stick in the photo below down the line.  The other is hidden behind the umbrella.   I agree, someone pointed out you don't have a lot of room for the "face on" video.  You might need to rotate. You need enough distance to get the ball at the bottom of the frame and the top of the club in the backswing.  

I whole heartedly endorse trying Skillest.  I was skeptical at first, but desperate to fix a particular problem in the spring.  I stuck with it all season and dropped 2 strokes off my handicap.  Still a work in progress, but we are developing a winter practice plan.  I think the trick is finding the right coach, and I got lucky.  Has to be someone you communicate well with.  

Good luck.  Holding yourself to account is a smart way to start.  Plenty of folks on here to chime and and help keep you going. 

IMG_0408.JPG.06faf5a4b8ec680f0295351e2396a134.JPG

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Some pretty inspiring setups and ideas, I love them all!  

And I really appreciate the feedback so far.  

Today was a rough round, the kind that makes me question why I play at all.  Obviously that's an in-the-moment feeling, but it does have me questioning my mental game.  

Not trying to be a downer and not looking for sympathy.  Just feeling a little lost, is all.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

8 hours ago, JerryB said:

Today was a rough round, the kind that makes me question why I play at all.  Obviously that's an in-the-moment feeling, but it does have me questioning my mental game.  

Not trying to be a downer and not looking for sympathy.  Just feeling a little lost, is all.

We all go through this, even low handicappers; sometimes you just can’t make what you believe is a solid swing.  The mental aspect of golf is probably the hardest to master.  On the days you struggle you just have to find the bright spot and move on.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We’ve all been there, done that, got the t-shirt…

Find yourself a good coach/pro to help you figure out a game plan for improvement. 

Into podcasts? Give the ParTrain a try all about the mental game and managing expectation. Start w episodes 100 or 200 - outtakes from the previous set. Will give you a flavor to see if it’s something you’d like. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

9 hours ago, JerryB said:

Jerry,

It's been said before by others. "We all go through this" You have to accept there will be bad days and know there will be good days. Once you post your swing and see all the helpful comments it is almost a guarantee you next few rounds will be a disaster. You are trying to fix many things at once, many swing thoughts and such. The more you think, the more tension you have in your swing and needless to say the results suck. 

When I was starting out and there were still glass tube TV's, I used to record my swing and play it back on slow motion on the TV. Then pause it when I got to key swing positions. I then took dry erase markers and drew my angles on the TV and compare them to angles in Golf Digest. Forgetting to erase the markers did not go over well when the wife saw the TV! Not that I'm suggesting that, but that was my way of seeing what I was doing wrong. At the time I did not have instructors in my area. The best bet is to get an instructor to help get you through the basics. But find one that you relate to and don't put so much pressure on yourself.  Take that lesson and practice in your net and get it down before your next lesson. Small steps lead to better results.

We all look forward to following along on your journey.  Key takeaway...... The more birdies the more shots! Cheers

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 11/2/2022 at 8:36 AM, Golfspy_TCB said:

The visual works!   

So do you also hit off the "made mat" portion, or just the optishot?  Pretty impressed how it is holding up if you are hitting off it.  I used some 2" interlocking squares under my birdieball putting mat - with the intent of cutting the holes deeper... Haven't done that yet, but it gives it a more realistic feel when standing on it, opposed to on the hard floor.  Those foam squares are great!

I have a couple of 5x5 mats in my hitting area (country club elite and another one I don't recall the name of), but I like the idea of making a 4x8 area with a sheet of plywood and the foam underlay if it will hold up.

All my warmups, chipping practice and any time I'm not using the Optishot2 I hit off the made matt. I do use spikeless golf shoes during practice sessions too.  Also note that I am more of a brusher of the turf than a digger. It has held up a few years now. The other mat in the photo is for outside practice.

8 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

All my warmups, chipping practice and any time I'm not using the Optishot2 I hit off the made matt. I do use spikeless golf shoes during practice sessions too.  Also note that I am more of a brusher of the turf than a digger. It has held up a few years now. The other mat in the photo is for outside practice.

I'm less of a "digger" now that I have my blades in my office and the GI's in the bag... that might work for me as well.  Thanks Tom.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

17 hours ago, JerryB said:

Some pretty inspiring setups and ideas, I love them all!  

I'm going to be another to encourage you to keep up the great work you've been doing. This game is tough and I understand the frustration it can sometimes bring. I think too often that when we're trying to improve, we get caught up and become so attached to our score we forget to have fun out there. (Guilty)

As someone who has been in a slump for almost two years, I know where you're coming from. 

It's been a pleasure to watch your game grow and improve in the time you've been on the forum and I have no doubt the progress will continue with the effort you're putting in. It just takes time and living in a time where instant gratification is the norm, it's hard not to look for the next quick fix. Keep doing what your doing and you'll see results.

I'm also going to +1 on listening to The Par Train, they offer great advice specializing in the mental game. I'll also recommend reading "The Four Foundations of Golf" by Jon Sherman. It's not swing related at all, but gives great advice on how to manage expectations, the mental game, strategy, and other things. 

Best of luck to you, I'm pulling for you.

I scooted myself a little closer to the wall and away from the opener.  I was able to put my phone against the wall and take this video.  Is the angle and overall video acceptable?  Light's a bit of a problem, yeah.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Your right hand is too strong., you have late torso rotation due to being an arms driven swing. You shift pressure to the lead foot in the takeaway/backswing then to the trail leg late which causes a sway then as a result you get to the lead leg late.

You need to change your how and when you shift pressure which will improve your pivot. You need to use the chest and ribs to cause your body to rotate and not the arms

none of this is going to be easy and isn’t going to happen making full swings and at full speed.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:00 AM, JerryB said:

I scooted myself a little closer to the wall and away from the opener.  I was able to put my phone against the wall and take this video.  Is the angle and overall video acceptable?  Light's a bit of a problem, yeah.

I know it's not but I'm imagining all the plaster marks in the ceiling as areas a Club or Ball has hit and been patched 😉

Keep up the great work!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 11/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Your right hand is too strong., you have late torso rotation due to being an arms driven swing. You shift pressure to the lead foot in the takeaway/backswing then to the trail leg late which causes a sway then as a result you get to the lead leg late.

You need to change your how and when you shift pressure which will improve your pivot. You need to use the chest and ribs to cause your body to rotate and not the arms

none of this is going to be easy and isn’t going to happen making full swings and at full speed.

Between this and previous critiques, where would you suggest I begin?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Hit the gym yesterday before golf and again today.  Yesterday was more overhead press and other shoulder/upper back work which felt great.  Today was deadlift day and it didn't go nearly as well.  Everything today just felt incredibly heavy.  Wound up being one of those get in, do the minimum, and get out type of days.

Today notwithstanding, deadlifting 500 pounds has been one of my long-term goals.  Its ambitious but I'm hoping to get there by the beginning of next golf season.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

31 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Between this and previous critiques, where would you suggest I begin?

I would start with finding an instructor and not going at it alone.

If you choose to go it alone then I would look at watching the beginners video series from Chris Ryan, or getting Monte Scheinblum’s setup fundamentals video, no turn cast and efficient swing, or join the athletic motion golf free website or upgrade to one of their paid subscription, or look at buying Eric Cogorno or Milo Lines courses and using the resources that come with them.

No matter what you need to get the fundamentals down of grip, stance and setup before proceeding into any swing work

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hit the gym the last couple days...and upper body day based on bench press and a lower body based on squats.  Again the upper body day was decent and the lower body day was a bit of a struggle.  One week into a standard lifting program; feels good mentally.  Physically a little beat up, but also a good feeling.

I've got quite a bit of swelling in my right knee which isn't too unusual as I've had a couple surgeries in the past.  Other than gym and work I've been trying to keep off of it so no golf activities.  Temps dropped so I think the season is over although I'm still toying with the idea of layering up and getting out a couple more times before snows hit.

I've got a few golf books I've picked up over the past year and I'd like to sit down with them.  Hogan's Five Lessons for one, and also want to reread Penick's Little Red Book.  

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

I have a couple of little mats that I can use rather than hitting off a thin rug.  If I stand on the rug and hit off the mat, whether the turf mat or the divot board, would that cause me any issues?  I worry about the ball being slightly higher than usual and leading towards more thin shots on the course.

Am I overthinking here?

IMG_20221115_143026085.jpg.382c7923699a7a5851d98d36e0398ffe.jpg

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

35 minutes ago, JerryB said:

I have a couple of little mats that I can use rather than hitting off a thin rug.  If I stand on the rug and hit off the mat, whether the turf mat or the divot board, would that cause me any issues?  I worry about the ball being slightly higher than usual and leading towards more thin shots on the course.

Am I overthinking here?

You are not overthinking it at all. You want to try to have your mat and your feet at the same elevation or at least as close as possible. That is why I had to insert the Optishot2 into my platform and also added thicker turf on the Optishot2. The system comes with a thin turf and Velcroed on hard plastic. Hit one fat and you know it!  I did wind up thinning a lot of shots on the course before I got things level at home. 

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

Am I overthinking here?

Nope!  Not overthinking it.  @Tom the Golf Nut is correct.  It's something I'm having to deal with right now as I finish my hitting bay.  Still working on my solution, but don't have the mat or the turf for the bay determined yet, so don't have a feel for how much of an issue it will be until I get them.

Find another piece of carpet, some thin foam, cardboard, or gallon ziplock freezer bags with a layer of sand inside; anything to raise you feet to the level of the mat.  Might need some double stick tape to keep them from sliding around under the carpet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Same as @Tom the Golf Nut and @Kenny B. When I made a hitting platform I made sure that it was low enough that it was level with the turf mat I had bought.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

15 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You are not overthinking it at all. You want to try to have your mat and your feet at the same elevation or at least as close as possible. 

I’ll play a little devils advocate here.  While flat lies are good for most of your practice when working on basic swing fundamentals,  we also have to remember that not all lies on the course are flat.  If we were making an ideal setup, we should be able to effectively hit the ball when it is below, level, or above our feet.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’ll play a little devils advocate here.  While flat lies are good for most of your practice when working on basic swing fundamentals,  we also have to remember that not all lies on the course are flat.  If we were making an ideal setup, we should be able to effectively hit the ball when it is below, level, or above our feet.   

I agree if you already are an established player and have a repeatable swing but like you stated when you are still working on fundamentals (trying to build that repeatable swing, create muscle memory, and work on swing planes in the early stages of your development of your golf swing), you should stay on the same plane. 

I can tell you for a fact in my case, I had some issues. The Optishot base is 2" high and then add in the Jag Man Joe's better hitting turf and it was 2-1/2" higher than my feet.  Playing and practicing on the simulator all winter raised my swing up that much. With a1.68" diameter golf ball sitting on the ground in the spring, I was sending worm burners down the course. Obviously if the ball was on a tee, I was ok. After a week or two of trying to get my swing back down to the ball I built the platform and spent several weeks getting back to normal.   

But to your point, I also practice on a 4' x 4' matt that I place on 3/4" plywood and then elevate one side or another to practice downhill, sidehill and uphill shots. But I am still practicing with my feet and ball on the same surface just at a different angle.  

13 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I agree if you already are an established player and have a repeatable swing but like you stated when you are still working on fundamentals (trying to build that repeatable swing, create muscle memory, and work on swing planes in the early stages of your development of your golf swing), you should stay on the same plane. 

I can tell you for a fact in my case, I had some issues. The Optishot base is 2" high and then add in the Jag Man Joe's better hitting turf and it was 2-1/2" higher than my feet.  Playing and practicing on the simulator all winter raised my swing up that much. With a1.68" diameter golf ball sitting on the ground in the spring, I was sending worm burners down the course. Obviously if the ball was on a tee, I was ok. After a week or two of trying to get my swing back down to the ball I built the platform and spent several weeks getting back to normal.   

But to your point, I also practice on a 4' x 4' matt that I place on 3/4" plywood and then elevate one side or another to practice downhill, sidehill and uphill shots. But I am still practicing with my feet and ball on the same surface just at a different angle.  

Totally agree on the established player.  Hitting off uneven lies is just another facet of golf that needs practice, but the fundamentals need to be developed and practiced as well.  

I think I will work that into the final design of my hitting bay.  The way I'm designing the hitting mats, I think it would be fairly easy... well, there I go again... thinking!!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Finished the second week of Wendler's 5/3/1 basic template for powerlifting which centers around overhead press, squat, bench, and deadlift, with some pulling exercises, ab work, and other accessories thrown in.  Have managed some rep PRs which is great.  

Tried to add some running but my right knee swelled up badly.  I've had meniscus and ACL reconstructions so the swelling isn't unusual but it is lingering.  I actually kinda enjoy running but I need to find some cardio work that I can stick with.

I've dropped a pound or two but more important is that clothes are already fitting differently, so that's a plus.  

I'm still wandering into the garage often but it's not heated and it's been pretty cold this week.  Not doing much besides trying to exaggerate my rotation hoping to increase my flexibility.

Hard to stick with, though.  If I'm not on the course anything golf related feels like a chore.  I have next week off and it is supposed to warm up slightly so I might try to get out again.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Funny thing happened when the weather warmed up a bit this week; I didn't want to golf.  Now that I'm hitting the gym regularly, my interest in golf has dwindled.  It appears that I can do one thing or the other but not both.

So I've cleaned my clubs and put them away for the winter.  I've got an extra set (and then some) still near the net in the garage should the itch hit.  It's only been a couple weeks; we'll see how I feel during that random two day stretch in February when it nears 70°!

In the meantime I've picked up two golf shirts and am close to pulling the trigger on a black Friday ball deal or two.

In the gym I've been a little sluggish but managed to set PRs on all four main lifts.  I got 160lbs for overhead press and 185 for 12 reps on bench press.  I deadlifted 405 for a double a hit 345 for 6 reps and 365 for 4 on squats.  Feels good.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

8 hours ago, JerryB said:

Funny thing happened when the weather warmed up a bit this week; I didn't want to golf.  Now that I'm hitting the gym regularly, my interest in golf has dwindled.  It appears that I can do one thing or the other but not both.

So I've cleaned my clubs and put them away for the winter.  I've got an extra set (and then some) still near the net in the garage should the itch hit.  It's only been a couple weeks; we'll see how I feel during that random two day stretch in February when it nears 70°!

In the meantime I've picked up two golf shirts and am close to pulling the trigger on a black Friday ball deal or two.

In the gym I've been a little sluggish but managed to set PRs on all four main lifts.  I got 160lbs for overhead press and 185 for 12 reps on bench press.  I deadlifted 405 for a double a hit 345 for 6 reps and 365 for 4 on squats.  Feels good.

I know it's tough when winter sets in, but I still suggest you spend even a little time all winter working on golf-specific exercises and technique; flexibility and motion.  It doesn't take long to make 25-50 swings every day or two, even without a ball, just to stay loose.  You will be way ahead in the spring when I know you will want to get out and play again.  Hope to see back here in the spring!!

On 10/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, JerryB said:

I'm a lazy, lazy man.

I think my biggest issue with winter golf is that I can't just get up and go.  There's a little more prep involved and even then I'm still a bit uncomfortable.  I have a bad habit of losing interest if a situation isn't perfect but I think with golf I'll probably go through this a couple times every winter where I go out and get discouraged.  I may eventually stumble into a setup that I enjoy.

Speaking of setups, an unintended consequence of putting my net in the garage is that now I can't use it for a month or so.  The Christmas stuff has been brought out and in order to make room, some furniture has been moved into the garage.

IMG_20221126_093754317.jpg.95db043506a2a2a73016a9e77b1ee9bc.jpg

Been dropping some strong hints about a larger driving mat and a putting surface, hopefully I've been a good boy this year.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

48 minutes ago, JerryB said:

I think my biggest issue with winter golf is that I can't just get up and go.  There's a little more prep involved and even then I'm still a bit uncomfortable.  I have a bad habit of losing interest if a situation isn't perfect but I think with golf I'll probably go through this a couple times every winter where I go out and get discouraged.  I may eventually stumble into a setup that I enjoy.

Speaking of setups, an unintended consequence of putting my net in the garage is that now I can't use it for a month or so.  The Christmas stuff has been brought out and in order to make room, some furniture has been moved into the garage.

IMG_20221126_093754317.jpg.95db043506a2a2a73016a9e77b1ee9bc.jpg

Been dropping some strong hints about a larger driving mat and a putting surface, hopefully I've been a good boy this year.

If you are really trying to improve then now is the time to do it. You have a setup that allows you to work on swing mechanics and not worry about ball flight and results. The more work you put in now in the offseason the better you will be come the golf season. If you don’t put in the work you will regress and be worst off and then have to spend time trying to get back to where you 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:35 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you are really trying to improve then now is the time to do it. You have a setup that allows you to work on swing mechanics and not worry about ball flight and results. The more work you put in now in the offseason the better you will be come the golf season. If you don’t put in the work you will regress and be worst off and then have to spend time trying to get back to where you 

This is exactly why I started this thread; to get called out when I start dogging it.  I moved some things around in the garage and should be good.  On that note, I tore up my hands on deadlift day over the weekend so it'll be a few days until I can grip a club properly.

Does anyone have a suggestion for one of those swing analyzer tools or something else that would give me feedback on film?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW