Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Commercials

Jgolf

Recently, the Nike and Taylormade commercials have become identical imo. Their latest versions:

MGS Commercial.png

MGS Commercial 2.png

MGS Commercial 3.png

MGS Commercial 4.png

(Taylormade Commercial and the

)

It simply impresses me that this type of marketing where a pro hits a club and says it is longer remains so effective that companies explicitly copy the same format over and over again...

Rather sad. I much enjoyed the humor of the Nike commercials with Tiger Woods. They were reminiscent of the Volkswagen commercials of the late 50's early 60's. Having fun while exposing the product, thereby making the product fun. Those were the commercials that made me watch end to end.

Shambles

I loved the Top Flight golf ball ones, and the Wilson Irons ones also, but most are dull and for sure, uninspiring!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

The Wilson ones are definitely the best. I love the over the top one where the super model offers to play with the guy because of his clubs.

That said, the Nike and TM commercials still make me want to try their clubs. Callaway, not so much, even if I have a lot of respect for Phil.

Think what you will but Taylormade flat works. My nieghbor went and bought an R11 Rescue yesterday. And this thing really is long. It is a 4 iron (21* 40") and with its new technology, and RIP shaft it goes as far as my 2004 era Ben Hogan 3 iron hybrid (21* 40") . It is simply amazing how they get 11 more yards out of a 4 compared to my old 4 (24* 39.5"). :P

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Honestly it was hard for me to say what generated the most interest in these new clubs, the constant bombardment from TMag or our discussion of it here on this forum however, out of 10 guys in my revolving weekend group, we had 9 show up Saturday, and we talked about this, it turns out that 6 have been to the store to checkout TMag's Claim and 2 have actually bought TMag products. That is impressive, and keep in mind that the nearest golf store is 80 miles away, And 60% have gone to check it out. 4 of arranged a special trip while two were going to be there anyway.

The Wilson ones are definitely the best. I love the over the top one where the super model offers to play with the guy because of his clubs.

X2. I think they have to make commercials that really catch the eye though, as they are trying to reinsert themselves back towards the top of the line.

You mean that's not going to happen !!! ??? :angry:

Any one in the market for some practically new Wilson Irons, (supermodel not included,) I found out later ? :P

My father-in-law's new* full set of Taylormade's (plus bag) aren't helping him out drive me.

Nike and TMaG are probably using the same marketing firm to do their work. Or, they think we're ignorant enough not to notice.

*they were new last year, so I guess he should be looking into the RBZ or R11S's to gain back the distance that he's obviously lost by playing an older (and obviously inferior) model. :lol:

the commercials have little effect in what I want to try out or eventually buy.

My sentiments exactly

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

the commercials have little effect in what I want to try out or eventually buy.

Just curious, what does? I agree that the commercials won't get most people to BUY something, it has to perform for someone to pull the trigger. The entire point of the commercials is to get people to try something and talk about it.

Personally, the reviews on this site are a pretty big factor when I look at clubs to try. I'd say the commercials themselves don't get me to try a club, but when the claim in a commercial is verified by a non-biased review, then my interest definitely rises. Afterwards, I over think it, but that's my own problem :D.

For example, the review and price point of the TP3 makes it very interesting, so I'll probably try that at some point.

Just curious, what does? I agree that the commercials won't get most people to BUY something, it has to perform for someone to pull the trigger. The entire point of the commercials is to get people to try something and talk about it.

Personally, the reviews on this site are a pretty big factor when I look at clubs to try. I'd say the commercials themselves don't get me to try a club, but when the claim in a commercial is verified by a non-biased review, then my interest definitely rises. Afterwards, I over think it, but that's my own problem :D.

For example, the review and price point of the TP3 makes it very interesting, so I'll probably try that at some point.

Commercials really work.

Big business is not in the habit of throwing away money. They only look as if they are throwing away money. Big business is always buying something when they spend money, although, just like us, they sometimes make a mistake and buy something that fails to deliver enough to be worth the cost. Many many business establishments, even the ones that were already nationally recognized, saw their sales fall when they failed to advertise enough. This was recently when the world suffered some economic reversals. Their sales returned when they found that saving on advertising was a false economy.

Sometimes I think that even a badly made ad is better than none. At least it keeps the product in your consciousness. But then, I'm probably wrong about this.

Shambles

Commercials really work.

Big business is not in the habit of throwing away money. They only look as if they are throwing away money. Big business is always buying something when they spend money, although, just like us, they sometimes make a mistake and buy something that fails to deliver enough to be worth the cost. Many many business establishments, even the ones that were already nationally recognized, saw their sales fall when they failed to advertise enough. This was recently when the world suffered some economic reversals. Their sales returned when they found that saving on advertising was a false economy.

Sometimes I think that even a badly made ad is better than none. At least it keeps the product in your consciousness. But then, I'm probably wrong about this.

Shambles

Exactly, many people won't admit commercials work on them, but overwhelming statistics to the business benefit of commercials proves otherwise.

Just curious, how many people have heard of Alpha, Golfworks, Hireko, KZG, Wishon, Swing Science, or Robin Arthur? And if you have heard of it, do you TRUST these brands? I would bet their yearly profits are dwarfed by TM, Nike, Callaway, Aldila, etc... Most of the difference between these companies is advertising, not quality.

though i didnt buy the RBZ i certainly went to try their 17 yard claim.

most of the stuff i buy is cus its "tour proven" or the ads jst run over and over or cus my fav players play them im a sucker for marketing

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

The only purpose TV ads serve for me is entertainment(Wilson Staff)..From a purchasing standpoint, they have zero impact..Although not a Tiger fan, I did like the Nike/Tiger ads..I enjoy the Wilson Staff ads, though I didn't care for the hack saying to Ricky Barnes, "Wilson Staff, seriously?"..Maybe it's me, though the way he says it puts WS on the defensive, as though they have to explain themselves & only because Ricky Barnes is playing them do they have credibility..Most are probably aware that the Staff irons(FG Tour Blades) have 62 majors, & it's safe to say that that number will probably never be surpassed..Granted, WS has lost major market share in the US since the early 90s, though their FG line has always been the creme de la creme amongst blades..They have no explaining to do, & no disrespect to Ricky, Kevin(Streelman), et all, though the Staff Tour Blade(FG) can stand on their own...Seriously..Fairways & Greens 4ever...

I am afraid that I must disagree with you on this point. Because of advertising by the others and the lack of adversting done by Wilson, I have not really considered Wilson golf clubs. To be totally honest, I have owned some Wilson Clubs.

I bought a Wilson Wild Thing Jumbo Metal Driver (first metal driver no where near 460 cc maybe 300cc) with a graphite shaft (graphite was new.) I bought this at a sporting goods store not a "Golf Store". Wilson has always been availible at any store with a sporting goods department. And because ot that, sadly, I have considered them cheap. But when I compare the Wild Thing to the Ping Si3 that replaced it, it was cheap. In price for sure, and in the terms of quality of the driver was especailly a difference in quality.

Wilson changed the name to Wilson Staff at some point, probably when the Pro Staff ball started disappearing and Wilson started showing up but I had moved on to "higher quality" golf equipment by then. That is acutally higher precieved quality. Wilson Staff may now make and may alway have been making the best quality clubs on the market, but they are going to have to convince me and the masses that they are. The way to do that is through advertising.

That hack represents people like me who think of Wilson as a sporting goods company. You never think that the football, and the basketballs, the tennis balls, and many other balls are Wilson. They are just there. The commercial tells me I am a dumb@$$ for thinking of them.

Exactly, many people won't admit commercials work on them, but overwhelming statistics to the business benefit of commercials proves otherwise.

Just curious, how many people have heard of Alpha, Golfworks, Hireko, KZG, Wishon, Swing Science, or Robin Arthur? And if you have heard of it, do you TRUST these brands? I would bet their yearly profits are dwarfed by TM, Nike, Callaway, Aldila, etc... Most of the difference between these companies is advertising, not quality.

More likely, a little bit more, but advertising does have a confidence building effect on the consumer. It creates a feeling of familiarity and familiarity makes trust easier to give especially if the advertised corporate image suits the buyer's taste. It also serves as a reminder of good times shared. There is the good feel effect of seeing your brand used by someone on TV. Feel and skill isn't transferable but dreams are very easy to sell.

I've gained confidence in Wishon simply because of his participation on discussion boards. His words make sense to me and his designs look attractive. The written experiences of others who have used a product certainly helps in decision making, provided that written experience has content rather than just songs of praise. As a matter of fact, I've been in discussion with a trusted clubmaker about getting myself a set and am now mulling my ability to spend money of golf equipment I do not really need. :(

Shambles

More likely, a little bit more, but advertising does have a confidence building effect on the consumer. It creates a feeling of familiarity and familiarity makes trust easier to give especially if the advertised corporate image suits the buyer's taste. It also serves as a reminder of good times shared. There is the good feel effect of seeing your brand used by someone on TV. Feel and skill isn't transferable but dreams are very easy to sell.

I've gained confidence in Wishon simply because of his participation on discussion boards. His words make sense to me and his designs look attractive. The written experiences of others who have used a product certainly helps in decision making, provided that written experience has content rather than just songs of praise. As a matter of fact, I've been in discussion with a trusted clubmaker about getting myself a set and am now mulling my ability to spend money of golf equipment I do not really need. :(

Shambles

shambles, u belong to a group of consumers that find advertisements and promotions that are factual more appealing.

however for the mass market, marketers are using psychometric methods to appeal to golfers of various demographics. and they knw most people seek recognition ie the last time u pulled out ur D3 with ur 400 dollar aftermarket shaft, how proud did u feel to be part of the "titleist serious players club" and the nod from ur playing partners when u nailed one 280 down the middle with ur 600 dollar driver that shd probably only cost a fraction of the price

by keeping golfers engaged in their "exclusive" social groups they can keep the customers loyal to their brand for longer periods . when was the last time people told u they will play mizunos for the rest of their lives cus their forging "feels" better and only serious players play Mizunos. its things like this that add on to how their marketing campaign works. many people dont even care if the new product is better than the current model, they jst want to stay the group and prove to be a fanboy .

my friend started golf recently, he could have bought a quality powerbilt/wilson set almost half the price of what he paid for his Burner 2.0s. and at his skill level i honestly dont think it makes a difference, but why did he buy TM? cus dustin johnson his his burner 3 iron approx 300 yards? nobody cares if the 3 iron is 1 iron loft, they jst care which star is doing what and they can be part of it

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

if this doesn mean brand loyalty i dont know what this is

driverlove.png

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

ninjacobra,

The only reason I'm playing a 909 D3 is because I like the looks of the club and the Roddio I have on it was bought 3rd hand dirt cheap. Previous owners were disappointed with it's performance but it works well enough to suit me. Any brand loyalty I have is to my old Ping Eye 2's mostly because they are made of stainless 17-4 steel which lasts forever and is designed so well that it has remained my club from the time it was new, regardless that I have bought other clubs and have tried really hard to like them.

As I stated early in this thread, I enjoy the funny Nike ads, not the so called factual. However, funny or otherwise, ads are intended and designed to catch your attention and keep the product in your mind, on the chance that you are in the market to buy something, or can be persuaded to go for something new. That's why advertisers are always elbowing each other to get some air time with the most popular shows or events, well located billboards or even very watchable players. The product is seen by more people and somehow remembered. I think Cameron was made by Tigers brilliant putting and Ben Curtis probably did his part in making the 8802 model more popular. To the best of my knowledge, only Bettinardi sells as an exclusive club product and I have my doubts the club is truly collected or all that popular except with new guys.

Trust the public to have better sense. The gullible and the clever are only the much publicized minority. The greater majority rely upon reasonably sound judgement and the limitations of a thin pocketbook.

Shambles

if this doesn mean brand loyalty i dont know what this is

There was a commercial for some online used car selling site a while ago where a woman was selling a lime green beetle and her boyfriend was laughing at her saying no one will ever want it. Next cut showed a guy wearing all lime green, walls in his house painted lime green, and he called her desperately asking if the beetle was still available.

Point is, there are crazy people out there. $265 for a headcover should put you on a watch list somewhere...

Archived