Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

putter design- any thoughts

Duke

My partner and I have begun designing and milling putters. This is a relatively new design, and we'd like a little feedback before we start programming. Any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks for looking

Tim

putter design.jpg

First of all, kudos for jumping into the putter game.

As for a critique (which is all meant positively and constructively, of course): I think the design currently looks a bit unrefined. The semi-circle cut out does not flow into the bumpers, it looks more like cut and paste shapes. Similarly, there is not enough flow to the lowest tier of bumpers, the transition from bumper to flat middle section is jarring to me. Also, is the cavity centered? I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks or not, but it looks like the toe side bumpers are longer, which I don't care for.

Aside from that, I like the overall look. Keep us posted on your progress!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

First of all, kudos for jumping into the putter game.

As for a critique (which is all meant positively and constructively, of course): I think the design currently looks a bit unrefined. The semi-circle cut out does not flow into the bumpers, it looks more like cut and paste shapes. Similarly, there is not enough flow to the lowest tier of bumpers, the transition from bumper to flat middle section is jarring to me. Also, is the cavity centered? I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks or not, but it looks like the toe side bumpers are longer, which I don't care for.

Aside from that, I like the overall look. Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi,Matt.

And thank you for taking the time out to provide us with your input. When you say flow, I assume you mean transition in the form of either a radius or a chamfer. If it were you, would you prefer the transitions start higher, and would you like to see them as a radius or chamfer? The cavity is indeed centered.

Once again, we really appreciate your feedback.

Tim

Hi,Matt.

And thank you for taking the time out to provide us with your input. When you say flow, I assume you mean transition in the form of either a radius or a chamfer. If it were you, would you prefer the transitions start higher, and would you like to see them as a radius or chamfer? The cavity is indeed centered.

Once again, we really appreciate your feedback.

Tim

Tim,

Your question immediately sent me to Google to try to understand your question of "radius or chamfer?" better. :lol:

I will try to explain what I mean by "flow": as it stands, the circular cut out looks like a circle that was milled out of a rectangle. My preference would be for the transition into that circular cut out to be smoother, or more rounded. I wouldn't mess with the circular cavity, but I would smooth out the area on the bumpers that transitions into that cut out.

To borrow a thought from Scotty Cameron (at least I remember him using this description): if you poured water over the putter, you wouldn't want it to suddenly drop off at any point like a waterfall. Instead it should just ease itself from one level to the next through a series of curves.

With the lower tier bumpers, they look more like angled ramps, which, to my eye, doesn't fit with the circular cut out above. If those were smoother lines, more rounded, then the whole piece would have more...continuity?

Just my thoughts.

Best,

Matt

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Tim,

Your question immediately sent me to Google to try to understand your question of "radius or chamfer?" better. :lol:

I will try to explain what I mean by "flow": as it stands, the circular cut out looks like a circle that was milled out of a rectangle. My preference would be for the transition into that circular cut out to be smoother, or more rounded. I wouldn't mess with the circular cavity, but I would smooth out the area on the bumpers that transitions into that cut out.

To borrow a thought from Scotty Cameron (at least I remember him using this description): if you poured water over the putter, you wouldn't want it to suddenly drop off at any point like a waterfall. Instead it should just ease itself from one level to the next through a series of curves.

With the lower tier bumpers, they look more like angled ramps, which, to my eye, doesn't fit with the circular cut out above. If those were smoother lines, more rounded, then the whole piece would have more...continuity?

Just my thoughts.

Best,

Matt

Once again, thank you very much for the feedback. I love the Scotty Cameron thought. We will absolutely discuss your ideas and opinions. In production there would definitely be more rounded edges. My partner (Zac the Machinist) prefers I leave off filets that are smaller than .125 as they would be hand ground and not machined.

Tim, are you a former Ray Cook employee, by any chance? I see a little "Blue Goose" influence in your design.

Hi, Moecat.

No, neither I, nor my partner, have ever been in the business. My father gave me an old copy of Solidworks, and I started screwing around with it until I was able to create solids that actually looked like something. Both Zac and I are passionate about golf, and with him being a master machinist we decided we'd give it a go.

Sorry.

Didn't mean to give you my life story. We hope someday to be able to make a few styles that people like, and maybe even sell a few, but nothing beyond that. If you ever happen to see "Bellum Winmore" putters in your local pro shop you'll know our outlook has changed.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Tim

I'm not sure if I'm covering the same area Matt mentioned, but to me it looks like the toe of the putter is huge. I'm pretty sure it's the effect of the heel having a triangle shape at the top edge (starting at the hosel), whereas the toe has a square edge at the top.

I do like how you incorporated offset into the hosel, looks good.

I'm not sure if I'm covering the same area Matt mentioned, but to me it looks like the toe of the putter is huge. I'm pretty sure it's the effect of the heel having a triangle shape at the top edge (starting at the hosel), whereas the toe has a square edge at the top.

I do like how you incorporated offset into the hosel, looks good.

Thanks, wd.

We'll have to talk about perhaps angling the toe toward the center if this becomes a common theme.

One additional comment based on the new view: my eye likes symmetry, so I don't care for the fact that the curve of the heel is much longer than the curve at the toe.

Best,

Matt

Great feedback, Matt. Will take into account.

All in all a standard looking putter similar to other models of this kind, ie: Scotty Newport. Have you considered a slimmer topline like Ping B60. What is the physics around having to have 3 sections to putters of this kind? Topline, 2nd cut and then the last cut? More inclined toward a blade type putter, to put in to perspective. What was the thought around where you have the shaft attach to the hosel?

What price point are these putters? If they're in the $300 plus range, what would have someone come to this putter vs. a Scotty (already established in the golfing world)? Regardless, good luck and congratulations on bringing new ideas to the game of golf.

@pooch and rvhogan-

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

rvhogan- most of the tiered design elements were for aesthetics, but the result put the COG almost dead-center. The hosel placement was arbitrary, and in truth was just quick add-in, and not a hosel we intend to manufacture.

When it comes time to sell (hopefully by summer) our price point would be $189, which for 100% milled is very fair. For now the topline has to stay as it is due to future design revisions that will affect it.

pooch-

I can't remember the angle off-hand, but regardless this is not a hosel that we'll be offering. Ultimately the hosel will be adjustable without sacrifice to the aesthetics or feel.

Once again guys, thank you very much for your time and feedback. We're committed to constant consideration of the thoughts and opinions of golfers in the hopes of augmenting our designs to better serve the golfing community.

Tim

I am interested in the lie angle off your plumbers neck. It looks more like 69-68 degrees as opposed to the usual 70. Is it flatter? Is it also adjustable? Thanks

Bill

I agree with Bill. I like an upright putter of 74*. This looks really flat.

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

IMHO I like the design I think the harsher angles and lack of flow from some of the angles works, if it flowed to much it could look to much like an anser/newport

I would however like to see a pointier heel section just to throw some other angles in to the market place

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

IMHO I like the design I think the harsher angles and lack of flow from some of the angles works, if it flowed to much it could look to much like an anser/newport

I would however like to see a pointier heel section just to throw some other angles in to the market place

Stuart

Hi, Stuart, and thanks for the affirmation of the current design. It's our intent to create designs that are somewhat familiar, but have characteristics that make them unique for branding.

Can you explain the "pointier heel section". I'm often confused by the very simple.

Tim

If you extended the length of the sole and brought the topline straight down to meet the sole. So it would create a triangle with a 90 degree angle in the bottom right corner. If that helps. I will draw up a sketch tomorrow and paste it on here

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

If you extended the length of the sole and brought the topline straight down to meet the sole. So it would create a triangle with a 90 degree angle in the bottom right corner. If that helps. I will draw up a sketch tomorrow and paste it on here

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart. I think I get you, but a sketch would confirm it.

As far as "looks" it looks good. Machine work looks fine. As far as degrees on the plumbers neck etc I would have to set it down over a ball to judge it. For me to really judge it I would have to actually feel it and see how it rolls the ball and how it balances up. As with any club some will like it for the machine work and others will like how it feels and rolls the ball. I say it is your design do it like you want to and go from there. I do admire you for your efforts maybe it will be the next 8802 or Anser who knows ? Good luck keep us posted with updates

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived