TESTERS WANTED! ×

Muscleback Iron Review

JMiller

UPDATE

I found the article that first got me thinking about this (well two of them, the first is the research part on it. The second is the example (i changed it a little) as to the analogy.

http://www.oobgolf.c...b_Epiphany.html

http://www.oobgolf.c...ity_Backs_.html

I'd be very curious as the the clubs used in this example. 8' dispersion with an Iron Byron sounds crazy. I just don't see how cavity backs could do that without some flaw in the design. I'm not saying I can't be swayed to believe it, I'd just like to see more solid examples.

Now I agree with you 100% that the Players CB and GI are more efficient when it comes to not dead center hits as that article says. But on your dead center on the perfect hit, the blade does the job the best.

That is the point that I am getting at, on the best hits your Players CB and GI might not give you a consistent distance and line of play thanks to perimeter weighting, it probably do a better job if the weight was more evenly distributed across the entire sweet spot however it still would have less mass in the larger area then the blade in the smaller area. As a tool to strike something obviously a more concentrated CG would be more efficient then one spread out over larger space, more mass away from the impact point the worse of energy transfer you have period.

In my testing between blades and cavity backs I actually hit the blade about 3 to 5 yards longer on pure shots then my players cavities. Interesting concept and a wait a minute here how is that gonna happen type moment :)

i updated that post you quoted by the way to be a little more clear.

I can believe blades hit farther than players CB if both are forged, but if there were that much more accurate, everyone on tour would play them. Instead, the marginal added forgiveness vs marginal loss of workability is enough to convince tour players to use CBs.

Little more explanation on 'efficiency'

Lets look at this theory from a scientific view taking common objects and golf products completely out of the equation all together.

We have 3 cylinders that are in total 150 grams in mass. One is 1.5" circumference labeled A, 3" circumference labeled B and a 6" circumference labeled C. Weight is even on the 1.5" then the weight is moved slight towards the parameter for the 3" and more so on the 6".

We take the 3" labeled B and 5" labeled C cylinders and remove the center 1.5" circumference section from them and then put all three cylinders on a scale that started at equal mass of 150 grams. I'm sure you know that the mass will be reduced when removing only the center 1.5" cylinder from each B and C.

A would remain at 150 grams it never changed

B would be slightly less, maybe 130 grams or 140 grams (i don't know this is an example)

C would be even less, maybe at 120 grams or 130 grams (i don't know this is an example)

Take all three of these cylinders and attach them to a stick/shaft/etc to use to drive an object, which one is going to be the most efficient in generating energy at impact? Obviously the one with the most mass in the 1.5" area would have the most force when it is swung and stuck using the exact same speed at impact.

A represents the dead center of a blade, B represents the dead center of a players cavity, and C represents the dead center of a GI.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I'd be very curious as the the clubs used in this example. 8' dispersion with an Iron Byron sounds crazy. I just don't see how cavity backs could do that without some flaw in the design. I'm not saying I can't be swayed to believe it, I'd just like to see more solid examples.

Not to be off topic, but this is also exactly why I like MGS reviews, the numbers are put there in front of you to draw your own conclusions if you like. Plus, subjects/objective data is there, but separate.

Ok, now I have to stop ranting... :D

Little more explanation on 'efficiency'

Lets look at this theory from a scientific view taking common objects and golf products completely out of the equation all together.

We have 3 cylinders that are in total 150 grams in mass. One is 1.5" circumference labeled A, 3" circumference labeled B and a 6" circumference labeled C. Weight is even on the 1.5" then the weight is moved slight towards the parameter for the 3" and more so on the 6".

We take the 3" labeled B and 5" labeled C cylinders and remove the center 1.5" circumference section from them and then put all three cylinders on a scale that started at equal mass of 150 grams. I'm sure you know that the mass will be reduced when removing only the center 1.5" cylinder from each B and C.

A would remain at 150 grams it never changed

B would be slightly less, maybe 130 grams or 140 grams (i don't know this is an example)

C would be even less, maybe at 120 grams or 140 grams (i don't know this is an example)

Take all three of these cylinders and attach them to a pool to drive an object, which one is going to be the most efficient in generating energy at impact? Obviously the one with the most mass in the 1.5" area would have the most force when it is swung and stuck using the exact same speed at impact.

As for the dispersion that is a different theory, I was saying mostly the blade club is more efficient in transferring energy.

A represents the dead center of a blade, B represents the dead center of a players cavity, and C represents the dead center of a GI.

I totally agree with you here. I'm just saying it's not that simple when comparing clubs. Clubs made of softer materials (i.e. 8620 carbon steel) will naturally go less far than harder materials (i.e. titanium).

Nah it is fine, makes me go more in depth with what I am talking about and gets more people thinking and learning about stuff that they might not previously have known. Think I have said that once before in my other review.

i agree with you also that materials change the results, I am just looking at it from a perspective 'same materials' for this assumption, One less unknown element in the theory.

For the off line and distance issues in the cavity they test (and I have no scientific proof to speak of only my logic) I think it would have to do with an inconsistency in the COR.

All clubs will have a COR and on blades the mass is right behind the dead center 'sweat spot' of the club allowing for it to be more easily duplicated with a lower COR variances on exact same swings. I would have to assume as the parameter weighting increases the COR variances would also increase causing more in-consistency in the shot. Like I said I have no proof of that theory however I think that what the numbers support in the articles, espesually with the distance issues they saw.

As for the line this also would do about the 'trampoline effect' of a club, if the left side recovers faster then the right side it will go slightly off target or visa verse, the golf ball and club face interaction are an imperfect relation ship. The Blade seems to have a little better result as it has a smaller area of recovery.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

HI guys -- this has been one fascinating thread - have learned a ton and used the hammer-mallet-frying pan analogy on my wife to explain why I'm dead set on buying a new set of irons. She bought it!!!

HIt the Mizzy 53's, 59's and 69's yesterday -- loved 'em all. 53 was easiest to hit, but when flushed, the 69 was out of this world. Not sure I have the game yet to hit them consistently, but we'll see how the spring goes.

Also hit the Wilson V2's -- sweet but the setup at the store was a little light for me. They didn't have a set of blades on hand - would have loved to have tried them. They did have a new set of FI-5's on display -- a progressive set. They looked to be from 2005 or so. Anyone know anything about the set?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

HI guys -- this has been one fascinating thread - have learned a ton and used the hammer-mallet-frying pan analogy on my wife to explain why I'm dead set on buying a new set of irons. She bought it!!!

HIt the Mizzy 53's, 59's and 69's yesterday -- loved 'em all. 53 was easiest to hit, but when flushed, the 69 was out of this world. Not sure I have the game yet to hit them consistently, but we'll see how the spring goes.

Also hit the Wilson V2's -- sweet but the setup at the store was a little light for me. They didn't have a set of blades on hand - would have loved to have tried them. They did have a new set of FI-5's on display -- a progressive set. They looked to be from 2005 or so. Anyone know anything about the set?

Happy I could help in convincing the 'boss' to approve the new purchase, I know the feeling mine just kind of lets me do whatever she just says 'as long as the bills get paid first i don't care what you spend your money on via golf'.

The W/S FG62 are a different beast altogether from the FG Tour V2s, most people probably like the Mizuno line for the cavities but i think in the blades W/S FG62 has Mizuno MP69s slightly edged out.

Well, I hit the 62s yesterday, played 'em today & bought 'em tonight..I'm not ready to replace my Mizunos, though I am gonna have 'em spec'd to my Mizzys & then see how they feel, though they felt fantastic..Better than the 68s?..I don't know yet because my confidence level with the 68s are much higher, so I can play shots with them that I have to work on with the Staffs..But make no mistake about it, although all of the OEMs MB irons are basically solid & a few even excellent, in my mind only one iron rose to exceptional..Now there are two..Nuff said..Thanks jmiller for the heads up..Fairways & Greens 4ever...

I do what I can and I felt it was important that W/S FG62 got the recognition for feel that they have earned. I'd put them right up there with Mizuno and Miura in terms of feel as some of the best I have ever hit, just like butter.

This is slightly OT but wanted to mention it. You get the same 'control' on a shot from 0.355 Taper as you would in a 0.370 parallel shaft. A lot of manufactures use the 0.355T because of it's characteristics in consistent weighting in the shafts. Heck all taper tipped shafts start life as a parallel shaft.

0.355T is built to be put into a specific iron head and weight optimized for that iron so that the set of clubs between the wedges and 1 iron are all the same iron weighting regardless of length. This is why 0.355T come in shafts ranging from 37.0" to 41.5" (wedge to 1 iron). You really can't tip trim a Taper shaft more then 1/4". You would have to soft or hard step them to fit someone that would be in-between flexes. Not really a lot of room for custom fitting a person in a Taper Tip. The issue with soft and hard stepping is that the calculation is an approximation of flex charismatics. soft or hard stepping changes about 1/3 between flex. So if you have a 6.0 and a 6.5 flex then it is (0.5)*(1/3) = 0.1666666... (repeating 6), so about 0.167 the flex soft stepping in a 6.5 is roughly 6.5-0.167 ~ 6.3 a hard step would be roughly 6.5+0.167 ~ 6.7. Unfortunately this doesn't allow for exact fitting in this situation. Only one that gets close to perfect.

Parallel shafts come raw at approximately 43.5" blanks for all iron heads. They are GREAT for perfectly custom fitting someone to an exact frequency in stiffness because the flex is determined mostly by the weight of the blanks you ordered and how much you tip trim the shaft. The down fall for some people is that a Wedge shaft is going to weight a lot less then the 1 iron shaft that you might build for someone. The more material removed from the tip and butt sections to get the club to playing length and flex the lighter the shaft will be. It would not be optimized for weighting on each individual shaft in the set but you could make it to perfect flex for a golfer. For example your L-P could be 6.6, 9 6.7, 8 and 7 6.8, 6 and 5 6.9, 4 and 3 7.0 if that fits you it is easy to do in parallel tips. That is why a lot of club builders love 0.370 Parallel over 0.355 Taper the flexibility in fitting is endless. Only have the minor issue in weighting of shafts not being the same in the set.

When I bought my set of ZB's the 4 iron had been reshafted. I looked at it and it looked ok to me. No big deal. So I bought them and went out and played them. Some where down the line I needed to hit a 4 iron shot, and did not hit it well, it felt like I made horrible contact. I hit the three iron several times and hit great shots with it. I thought nothing to worry about you cannot hit every shot flush. Some time later, I needed a four iron again, and once again it felt like a horrible shot and did not travel as far. Well, eventually it occured to me that I was not hitting the 4 iron well at all and had in fact never hit the 4 iron well. But I had had numerous great shots with the 3 and 5 irons. So I hit three shots without looking to see which club I grabbed. I hit two great shot, and one horrible shot that felt nothing like the other two.

When I say horrible, it felt that way compared to the others. It was like I was not hitting it in the center of the face.

The 4 iron shaft had a DG300 stricker on it just like the others but newer. So after measuring the steps on it, I found out it in fact was a DG300 Stiff just like the others. But it was a .370 parallel vs a .355t taper. There is a difference in the step pattern. I never knew that there were different step patterns or why. I can say that I really did not and do not care. But they certainly feel different. I had no idea about that for the first couple of weeks and it turned out that for the first time in my golfing life it turned out to be the arrow and not the indian that was a problem. I reshafted it and it is great.

I do not know if it was because it was the wrong shaft or what but the parallel felt dead and did not travel as far as the tapered. Both were stiff flex but the step patterns were different. Both are DG300s.

Twice since then I have found other "arrow" problems. I had a putter head that came loose twice during different rounds. The first time I putted the whole round and was so mad at my putting I did not notice it. I thought I had fixed it and it worked ok for several rounds but came loose again during the round but I noticed it after a few holes and changed it at the turn. But usually the problem is me not the equipment.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I hear that. The DG s300 Taper is 130 grams raw (is the same as the length changes through the set)

the Parallel DG s300 is 130g at 41" (tip trim and butt cut to length reduces this more) You probably could have gone with a s400 which the parallel is 134g @ 41" after tip trimming and butt cutting to length you should have gotten closer the the 130g Taper Tip.

For a lot of players that have a good load on a shaft a lighter shaft then the rest of the set will feel a touch weaker then the rest of the set. A lot of players will also sometimes need different frequency in the long irons then the short irons.

If you get fit for a full set of parallel tips properly each shaft frequency is matched to your average swing speed with that club. Could be anything from 7.0 in the 3 and 4, 6.8 in 5-8, 6.6 in 9-L (it would be player specific more then that) The issue with parallel is normally the weighting through the set is not consistent and people well feel that in the swing so consistent weighting in the Taper tip gives a person more confidence in the feel of each club and same swing weighting in the set.

Both have ups and downs I tend to like the weighting in taper tips, but like a said parallel has more room for custom fitting to exact frequencies for a golfer in each club.

EDIT: I got to thinking about it, I wounder if they tried to install a 0.370 into a 0.355T hosel. If that happened then there is not way for the full tip on a 0.370 to make it into the proper depth of the hosel. You would get weird results in this case. You can always put a 0.355T into a 0.370 with the proper shims, but the other way 0.370 into a 0.355T doesn't work unless you bore out the hosel.

Also, with lighter shafts some players tend to think they feel weaker then the heavier shafts in their swing. Could have been a feel thing involved as well that the 4 iron Parallel shaft is lighter slightly then the taper in the same flex. Plus some people find that the Parallel tips have a weaker tip section then the taper tip counter parts. This might be true as well causing higher ball flight and more spin from a parallel tip, but in the end I would think with the manufacturing process they would get the tips about perfect on each model if they are going to make a parallel along with a taper tip. KBS C-Taper still has not even mentioned bringing out a parallel tip model still only the 0.355T and brass shims if you want to play them in a 0.370 hosel.

From the True Temper website (http://www.truetemper.com/golf/faq.php?cID=1)

Does a taper tip shaft play like a parallel tip shaft?

True Temper taper tipped shafts and parallel tipped shafts do play similar to one another. The only difference between the two is tip diameter and weight. True Temper taper tip shafts are constant weight, meaning that each shaft weighs the same from 1 iron to wedges, and parallel are descending weight.

Anyways, back to the muscle back clubs, this is more of a club building topic then a muscle back review :)

I know that one person in this thread mentioned buying a set of W/S FG62s after reading my review on feel and performance.

Anyone that has tried the W/S FG62 and wants to provide a little feed back on your experience and how you think it compares to what you currently play that would be amazing.

I want to hear what others are saying about the W/S Fg62 because it is the small fish in the ocean of golf equipment.

Hi Foz --

Seriously considering the 53's...working through the process right now. Will also look at the 59's as well as the Wilson's. Gaming a Hogan Apex Plus set right now -- they're old but man do they feel sweet!

What tipped the scale for you for the Mizuno's?

It was the shaft....I first tried the Project X graphite shaft 4.5 & 5.0 on a demo at Golfsmith...I was hitting the JPX800 & JPX800 Pro. I then found a Callaway FT-iz with a X 5.0 shaft on ebay....got it for $42 and absolutely hit the #$%@ out of it.

I went Edwin Watts...they had a almost new set of JPX800's with the Exsar graphite shaft...I tried them, but the feel just wasn't there. I then decided that it was definitely the shaft.

I started looking for used Mizunos with the Project X graphite shaft...found the MP-53's with X 4.5 shafts....I negotiated a trade for my Cally X-24's, then took the MP-53's out for a test drive.....that's when I shot the 81 and made my money back.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It was the shaft....I first tried the Project X graphite shaft 4.5 & 5.0 on a demo at Golfsmith...I was hitting the JPX800 & JPX800 Pro. I then found a Callaway FT-iz with a X 5.0 shaft on ebay....got it for $42 and absolutely hit the #$%@ out of it.

I went Edwin Watts...they had a almost new set of JPX800's with the Exsar graphite shaft...I tried them, but the feel just wasn't there. I then decided that it was definitely the shaft.

I started looking for used Mizunos with the Project X graphite shaft...found the MP-53's with X 4.5 shafts....I negotiated a trade for my Cally X-24's, then took the MP-53's out for a test drive.....that's when I shot the 81 and made my money back.

Thanks Foz --

Been testing almost everything in site - so far the Project X Rifle shafts have given me the best results. Think it'll come down to the 53's or 59's, or the Wilson's, or a progressive set. My fitter/instructor is digging the new Nike series, too. Then there's the custom Alpha's..... Oy!

If nothing else, this whole process is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

I have the FT-iz hybrids -- bought 'em when I was a bout 60 pounds heavier. Swing speed is up now - considering replacing or reshafting.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 1 year later...

I actually bought the wilson staff fg 62 based on this review. Im a very high handicapper but i knew i wanted to play with blades. I called up my instructor and asked him and he told me to go ahead and buy them. I did my research, I live in india and there really aren't any sort of blades available except for the miura ones which are crazy expensive. 

My choice was between the wilson staff, nike and mizuno mp4. i scourged the internet for all sorts of opinions and never once did i come across anyone saying anything even remotely negative about the wilson staff, the mizuno mp4 are rumoured to be extremely difficult to play specially for a high handicapper. Plenty of people said that these irons are for 0-4 handicappers. since im easily a 24 handicapper this seemed pretty scary. To top it off Mark Crossfield (i hope i got his name right) on youtube also said ' I wish i could play these , these are beautiful'. On the contrary everyone kept saying how the wilson staff are extremely forgiving. 

I was spending a lot of money on these (The wilson staff eventually cost me $ 1200. The irons for 900 and import duty of 300 from amazon.com) and i knew my friends wouldn't be too impressed considering wilson is not seen as a premium brand in India compared to mizuno or nike. I still had my heart set on them. 

I have been playing particularly badly the last couple of months and was shooting more than a 100 for this time. I got these blades and started practicing them. My first round with them i shot 96 and the second 92. These blades are awesome. Its very difficult to not get results with them. Even if you mishit a shot , it sounds really bad but with a 6 iron which i hit to about 150-160 yards, even with a mishit it travels to about 140 and goes absolutely straight. 

Im loving these so far and hopefully i can start shooting in the 80s consistently in the next couple of months. 

• 6 years later...
On 3/9/2012 at 2:03 PM, JMiller said:

This quest to play a knife is not for everyone I will be 100% honest when i first got this crazy idea to take the leap in play knifes I was very skeptical this was going to be a good decision. However I knew a couple of things that I wanted in my iron set that the AP2s just could not offer me.

First was the ability to feel where the ball was striking the face of the club, with a lot of players cavity you only can tell when it was hit good or poor not specific elements "that was two groove high on the face and a 1/4" towards the toe". This is important for me to be able to feel where the ball is hitting on the face so that i can make adjustments to my swing to get better contact on the ball, call it a training aid you have to hit a blade pretty well to get good results.

Secondly, i felt that the AP2 I just couldn't work the ball as much as I wanted to or as consistently, it was hard to dial in exact distances on partial swings at time for the fact that on a blade you can purposely hit it 1/2" towards the toe and take off 5 yards. Yes that sounds nuts and you might ask "why would you want to purposely miss the sweat spot of a club?" the answer is simple Spin and distance control you can still take a full swing but slightly miss the spot and change the ball flight characteristics.

Finally, I told myself that as a single digit handicap even a high one, if i can't hit the pure sweet spot then I probably need to stop playing golf, it is time to take the leap and see where it lands me in terms of skill and ability. Plus I played the Mizuno MP-60 LOVED the look and feel of the clubs those were pretty close to a blade without being one before I switched to the AP2s

I started out by just looking up as many blades as i could online and getting an idea of what I wanted to test hit based on appearance mostly. I went over to the PGA Superstore in Myrtle Beach SC prior to when i moved to NC recently. The Clubs they had included Nike VR Pro, Titleist 710 MB, Adams MB2, Mizuno MP69, Wilson FG62. I did not test the TM TP MB, Callaway Razer MB or Scratch SB-1. The scratch have a price tag that I wasn't willing to pay for a set $1200 plus tax all of the others that I tested were $900 plus tax. I am not sure if i saw the TM or Callaway's in the store, I'll admit I didn't look extremely hard in either of the sections that had those brands as I am not a fan of either one majority of the time. In hindsight i probably should have given both a chance if they had them in stock.

The PGA Super store is a super high volume store right near Broadway at the beach so they have A LOT of equipment on the racks and can custom order you anything. If you are an equipment junkie and go to myrtle beach stop in there and just look around at the sea of golf stuff they have in that store. Plus then they had radar based launch monitors to get a good compassion off of, they have now switched to the photograph based ones that are less accurate so be aware when testing clubs in there you need a base line for what you hit now compared to what you are testing.

I started where most people would Mizuno MP69 in the fitting cart with a KBS Tour X in it, I hit a 6iron to 195+ carry. This was my bench mark to compare all other blades that I would be testing. It is pretty well known that Mizuno makes some of the best feeling irons for under $1000.

I then hit the Titleist 710 and they felt WAY too firm for me, had a click sound to them at impact just all around not a good feeling blade even when hit pure in comparison to the MP69.

Next I went ahead and hit the Nike VR Pro Blades, I would rate these to have had a medium feel not firm but not supper buttery either. This was a good middle ground between the super soft blade and the firm click blade that the Titleist offered.

Afterwords, I then pulled out the Adams MB2 and hit that blade like pure S**T. I have to say that it was most likely the fact it had a KBS Tour Black S in it, WAY too soft of a shaft for me. I couldn't get a pure hit to save my life on those heads, the one or two I did get after a lot of tries felt really good. I would have to say with the proper shaft I would have to agree with the folks here at MGS that it is one heck of a good blade for the average golfer. It was softer feeling then the Nike but still not anywhere close to the soft feel of a Mizuno.

So My last club that I ended up hitting was a few days later from on a suggestion from the club builder that I go to in Myrtle Beach. He suggested the W/S FG62 at this point i was leaning towards the Mizuno MP69 for sure. I get the club off the rack it had a DG s300 in it still too soft a flex shaft but i can at least tolerate this one in comparison to the KBS Stiff shafts. First swing i purred it and OMG!!! I was blown away by how soft these irons felt. They feel just as good as the Mizuno MP69... So now the battle was on, I got the MP69 rebuilt from the fitting cart with the MP69, now it was down to two clubs everything else i tested got tossed out of my in consideration thinking. End the end W/S the little guy the unknown guy beat out the MP69 in the following categories.

--> Distance on center hits the FG62 was slightly better even with a too weak of a shaft for my swing.

--> Distance on slightly off center hits for the FG62 didn't lose as much distance in comparison to the MP69.

--> Feel on off center hits was amazingly butter soft but still you could tell that it wasn't exact for both clubs W/S felt only a touch better to me.

--> Workability on both clubs was amazing really couldn't tell you a clear winner on that category.

--> Appearance on both clubs is just sexy, they really engineered both heads to look amazing, this wasn't a factor at all when I made my decision.

--> Price tag wasn't really a factor either as they both retail at $900 this never came into my decision.

--> The offset on the FG62 is actually less then the MP69, win for W/S as I miss with a hook for this category.

If you have read my signature by now you know that i bagged the little guy W/S FG62 and here is how i ended up rating the blades I tested best to worse.

1) W/S FG 62 (offset, feel, distance gave it the slight win over the MP69)

2) Mizuno MP69

3) Adams MB2 (felt softer then the others the couple times i hit it good, offset is huge however on them so not for me anyways)

4) Nike VR Pro (yea this sucker preformed a lot better then i expected for a Nike brand club)

5) Titleist 710 MB (this was just too firm of a blade but if that is you thing check it out)

Here are the stats for the clubs that I researched before testing on the launch monitor in comparison to what i was hitting in the AP2 (2008 Model)

CLUB    LOFT    LIE    OFFSET    LENGTH    BOUNCE

Consistent Offset Models
Adams Idea Pro MB (1.5mm converted to inches)
3    21    60.5    0.059"    39.00"      IDK
4    24    61.0    0.059"    38.50"      IDK
5    27    61.5    0.059"    38.00"      IDK
6    31    62.0    0.059"    37.50"      IDK
7    35    62.5    0.059"    37.00"      IDK
8    39    63.0    0.059"    36.50"      IDK
9    43    63.5    0.059"    36.00"      IDK
P    47    64.0    0.059"    35.50"      IDK

Progressive Offset Models
Wilson Staff FG62
3    21    59.5    0.095"    39.25"      4.5
4    24    60.0    0.092"    38.75"      5.0
5    27    61.0    0.089"    38.25"      5.5
6    31    61.5    0.086"    37.75"      6.0
7    35    62.0    0.083"    37.25"      6.5
8    39    63.0    0.080"    36.75"      7.0
9    43    63.5    0.077"    36.25"      7.5
P    47    64.0    0.074"    35.75"      8.0

Mizuno MP-69
3    21    59.5    0.110"    38.75"      2.0
4    24    60.0    0.110"    38.25"      2.0
5    27    60.5    0.110"    37.75"      2.0
6    30    61.0    0.110"    37.25"      3.0
7    34    61.5    0.110"    36.75"      3.0
8    38    62.0    0.102"    36.25"      4.0
9    42    62.5    0.102"    35.75"      5.0
P    46    63.0    0.094"    35.30"      6.0

Mizuno MP-68
3    21    59.5    0.110"    38.75"      2.0
4    24    60.0    0.110"    38.25"      2.0
5    27    60.5    0.110"    37.75"      2.0
6    31    61.0    0.110"    37.25"      3.0
7    35    61.5    0.110"    36.75"      3.0
8    39    62.0    0.102"    36.25"      4.0
9    43    62.5    0.102"    35.75"      5.0
P    47    63.0    0.094"    35.30"      6.0

Mizuno MP-67
3    22    59.5    0.110"    38.75"      3.0
4    25    60.0    0.110"    38.25"      3.0
5    28    60.5    0.110"    37.75"      4.0
6    32    61.0    0.110"    37.25"      4.0
7    36    61.5    0.110"    36.75"      4.0
8    40    62.0    0.110"    36.25"      5.0
9    44    62.5    0.100"    35.75"      6.0
P    48    63.0    0.100"    35.50"      7.0

Nike VR Pro Blade
3    21    59.0    0.115"    39.00"      2.0
4    24    60.0    0.100"    38.50"      3.0
5    27    61.0    0.090"    38.00"      4.0
6    31    62.0    0.085"    37.50"      5.0
7    35    62.5    0.080"    37.00"      6.0
8    39    63.0    0.070"    36.50"      7.0
9    43    63.5    0.060"    36.00"      8.0
P    47    64.0    0.060"    35.75"      9.0

Titleist Muscle Back (MB)
3    21    60.0    0.125"    39.00"      2.0
4    24    61.0    0.120"    38.50"      3.0
5    27    62.0    0.115"    38.00"      4.0
6    31    62.5    0.110"    37.50"      4.5
7    35    63.0    0.100"    37.00"      5.0
8    39    63.5    0.090"    36.50"      6.0
9    43    64.0    0.080"    36.00"      7.0
P    47    64.0    0.075"    35.75"      8.0

Adams Idea Pro MB2 (given in mm I converted it to inches)
3    21    60.5    0.180"    39.00"      0.7
4    24    61.0    0.168"    38.50"      1.7
5    27    61.5    0.156"    38.00"      2.5
6    30    62.0    0.144"    37.50"      3.4
7    34    62.5    0.132"    37.00"      4.2
8    38    63.0    0.120"    36.50"      5.2
9    42    63.5    0.108"    36.00"      6.0
P    46    64.0    0.096"    35.50"      6.5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Titleist AP2 (2008) --> http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/irons/2008ap2.asp
3    21    60.0    0.160"    39.00"      0.0
4    24    61.0    0.145"    38.50"      1.0
5    27    62.0    0.130"    38.00"      3.0
6    31    62.5    0.120"    37.50"      4.0
7    35    63.0    0.110"    37.00"      5.0
8    39    63.5    0.100"    36.50"      6.0
9    43    64.0    0.090"    36.00"      7.0
P    47    64.0    0.085"    35.75"      8.0

The last few things that I want to add are that for high single digit handicap or the 10-15 guys DO NOT BE SCARED TO HIT A BLADE. The Mizuno MP69, Wilson FG62, Adams MB2 were all very easy clubs to hit, you could miss a 1/4" off and be only 2-3 yards short of sweet spot. You had to miss it really bad at more then 1/2" to see > 5 yards loss but that is with a players cavity as well. I can post some pictures of my equipment after this weekend if you all request it, I'll put it in the WIYB section.

I hope this has been helpful to anyone in the market for a new set of knives this season.

Just found this old, really well done thread.  I have a similar interest in finding a muscleback iron I can play.  A forged blade that is forgiving on off center strikes is the holy grail.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

15 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just found this old, really well done thread.  I have a similar interest in finding a muscleback iron I can play.  A forged blade that is forgiving on off center strikes is the holy grail.

Try the Mizuno MP-20 HMB irons. Loved them.  I would switch right now if I had the extra cash, but it's the wrong time of the year and I just bought a new house!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wow - some flashback names in that thread -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Wow - some flashback names in that thread -

Almost 8 years ago -- we were so much younger then! 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I know - it's funny in my 30's and 40's I didn't look at it that way but the difference between 55 and 63 seems like the Gulf of Mexico.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I know - it's funny in my 30's and 40's I didn't look at it that way but the difference between 55 and 63 seems like the Gulf of Mexico.

Believe me... from 63-72 it's much worse!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A few months ago I had stopped for lunch and was pursuing eBay and saw Mizuno MP 5’s 3-P 8.5 condition for $24 with less than 24 hours to go. I bid $124 and moved on.
At the time I had some fairly new Hogan Ft Worth 15’s that was very happy with. I expected to continue playing the Hogan’s for some time.
I was shocked the next morning to have won the bid at $107.
These MP5’s are so easy to hit. To the point that the MP5 3 iron has replaced my MP FLI HI 3 iron that has been in the bag for 7 years.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Yeah and I could still swing hard enough to break an egg too!!!  Still could hit stiff shafts too--- Hey time marches on

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yesterday I went to the PING Demo at Desert Hills GC.  I arrived a bit before they started and hit a bucket of balls.  I had a great ball strike groove going - hitting everything well.  The newly acquired G400 SFT 5w, like the 3w, worked great and should fill the gap between my 4i and 3w.

For my demo session I wanted to hit the Blueprint, i210, and i500.  The fitter configured each with the same AWT 2.0 R, +1 shaft on my G410's and we captured data. I started with the I500's and was hitting them well.  They felt like they were jumping off the face (definitely a different sound/feel), but yardage and ball flight was only a yard or two better than the G410's.  The i210's offered no advantage on yardage. To me, they felt and sounded very similar to the G410's.  Mishits on both were slightly more penalizing than the G410's.  

So we moved onto the postage stamps, the silver dollar on the end of a shaft Blueprints.  Wow, are these ever small!  As well as I was striking everything, this was a really good session to see how I could handle a Players Classic club design.  The results were dramatic.  While I was still hitting close to center (ball marks), yardage dropped off with most hits barely equallying the other irons.  The flush hits yielded as much as +12 yards and ball flight was lower. To be honest, I did not like the sound or feel of these irons.

On all of these, I attempted to draw and fade shots towards the end of the data gather.  The Blueprints were most dramatic but hard to repeat. The i500's worked best but only marginally better than my 410's.  I suspect it's principally my lack of skill set more than the irons - but I have lost some workability since changing from my PE2's. Maybe in time and continued practice I'll get some more out of the G410's.

At the end of the session, the fitter said no doubt the G410's are the right irons for me.  That left me with a good and disappointed feeling.  Great that I'm using well matched clubs but disappointed my skill set cannot take advantage of those much talked about "Butta Sticks"... at list those offered by PING.  As suggested by some of you, there are a few others to try... so perhaps the quest is not yet over. 👍

Since we had a little time left, I asked him about the Glide 2.0 wedge... specifically "why can't I hit the damned thing?" 😡  I hit the PW and UW with ease and with repeatable yardage.  He set the Glide next to my UW and asked "did you not want the +1 length on this club as well"... Gafaa...WTH??  He then set one up with the +1 length shaft and had me hit it... problem solved.

So now I either go have it extended or sell it and order a new one. The "extension" route sounds like a hack job to me... especially on a brand new set of sticks. 😏

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yesterday I went to the PING Demo at Desert Hills GC.  I arrived a bit before they started and hit a bucket of balls.  I had a great ball strike groove going - hitting everything well.  The newly acquired G400 SFT 5w, like the 3w, worked great and should fill the gap between my 4i and 3w.

For my demo session I wanted to hit the Blueprint, i210, and i500.  The fitter configured each with the same AWT 2.0 R, +1 shaft on my G410's and we captured data. I started with the I500's and was hitting them well.  They felt like they were jumping off the face (definitely a different sound/feel), but yardage and ball flight was only a yard or two better than the G410's.  The i210's offered no advantage on yardage. To me, they felt and sounded very similar to the G410's.  Mishits on both were slightly more penalizing than the G410's.  

So we moved onto the postage stamps, the silver dollar on the end of a shaft Blueprints.  Wow, are these ever small!  As well as I was striking everything, this was a really good session to see how I could handle a Players Classic club design.  The results were dramatic.  While I was still hitting close to center (ball marks), yardage dropped off with most hits barely equallying the other irons.  The flush hits yielded as much as +12 yards and ball flight was lower. To be honest, I did not like the sound or feel of these irons.

On all of these, I attempted to draw and fade shots towards the end of the data gather.  The Blueprints were most dramatic but hard to repeat. The i500's worked best but only marginally better than my 410's.  I suspect it's principally my lack of skill set more than the irons - but I have lost some workability since changing from my PE2's. Maybe in time and continued practice I'll get some more out of the G410's.

At the end of the session, the fitter said no doubt the G410's are the right irons for me.  That left me with a good and disappointed feeling.  Great that I'm using well matched clubs but disappointed my skill set cannot take advantage of those much talked about "Butta Sticks"... at list those offered by PING.  As suggested by some of you, there are a few others to try... so perhaps the quest is not yet over. 👍

Since we had a little time left, I asked him about the Glide 2.0 wedge... specifically "why can't I hit the damned thing?" 😡  I hit the PW and UW with ease and with repeatable yardage.  He set the Glide next to my UW and asked "did you not want the +1 length on this club as well"... Gafaa...WTH??  He then set one up with the +1 length shaft and had me hit it... problem solved.

So now I either go have it extended or sell it and order a new one. The "extension" route sounds like a hack job to me... especially on a brand new set of sticks. 😏

LOL forgive me for laughing you thought the faces on the blue prints were small. To me they look large compared to my butter knife Macs---- But then again I have hit those type blades all my life. As far as extending your wedge 1 inch it ain't a hack job if done properly

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL forgive me for laughing you thought the faces on the blue prints were small. To me they look large compared to my butter knife Macs---- But then again I have hit those type blades all my life. As far as extending your wedge 1 inch it ain't a hack job if done properly

Yea, I know it's common but considering it was suppose to have been a custom set ordered directly from PING, this is disappointing.  No one would ever probably know...except me and my fussy nature about such things.  The Glide 2.0's were on sale at that time and I suspect my fitter chose the cheap path as opposed to ordering as a serialized set with the G410's (which the PING rep told me they do 🤨). 

Regarding your "Mac's", if there are iron's smaller than the Blueprints, I don't want to try them 😱.  

• 2 weeks later...

@fixyurdivot - If you just want to dip your toes in the ocean that is blades, stop by your local Goodwill a few times a week.  Sooner or later, you're bound to find a treasure for $3.50 a club.  I passed up on a set of W/S Fluid Feels (we had those in the family as a kid) and snapped up a set of MacGregor Muirfields (the forged ones).  I hit the 8 iron in a simulator the other day next to my Cobra F8 9 iron and was pleased to find that:

1.  They went about the same distance (145-ish) when struck properly.
2.  I can still get a blade airborne.
3.  If I hit it off the toe, I'm reminded why I play the F8s on the regular 😋

These will be a blast to play for half-set quick nines, par 3 courses, etc.  Got my grandfather's old Titleist persimmon woods if I play a longer course.  I do want to let it get a little warmer first, though.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

I have some 2012-13ish Cobra AMP Cell Pros that were a vanity purchase, but I gamed them for 2 years even though my swing went kaput. 

I busted them out recently for a comparison during an iron review for the Lynx Black Cats. 

They don't go as far, they spin more on similar height trajectory (they'll stop), they hook or pull more often. 

But, hit one near dead center.   It is a great feeling. 

They're not pure "blades", but I would call them 95-98% blades.  The cavities in the longer irons are minimal, at best. 

There are a few Rickie versions floating around that are all full MB.  

I may regrip and give them another shot since I have a manageable swing again 🙂 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Just as Muscle Shoals, Alabama is merely an example of deep south spelling, ( mussel),   I believe the latter word was the original descriptor for irons as well.  At least I remember reading that somewhere.  The iron backs bulged instead of being flat or slightly scooped

Anyway, if I were going to eschew GI tech to play plain blades, I'd definitely go with hickory shafts as well.

I really love the looks of the brand new hickory shafted clubs made by Louisville Golf and Tad Moore. 

Hickory-shafted irons, much like graphite-shafted ones, are easier on the hands.  Probably not easier on the scorecard, though.

Edited by NiftyNiblick