Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Muscleback Iron Review

JMiller

On 1/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, NiftyNiblick said:

Just as Muscle Shoals, Alabama is merely an example of deep south spelling, ( mussel),   I believe the latter word was the original descriptor for irons as well.  At least I remember reading that somewhere.  The iron backs bulged instead of being flat or slightly scooped

Anyway, if I were going to eschew GI tech to play plain blades, I'd definitely go with hickory shafts as well.

I really love the looks of the brand new hickory shafted clubs made by Louisville Golf and Tad Moore. 

Hickory-shafted irons, much like graphite-shafted ones, are easier on the hands.  Probably not easier on the scorecard, though.

got a local Blacksmith that can forge the heads for you?  Might as well go all-in!!  🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

On 12/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Kenny B said:

Try the Mizuno MP-20 HMB irons. Loved them.  I would switch right now if I had the extra cash, but it's the wrong time of the year and I just bought a new house!!!

No Mizuno Demos here in Yuma so far.  Reading a bit more I see their is a MP20 (forged blade), MP20 MCC, and the MP20 HMB (hollow muscle back).  The HMB design/construction seems very similar to the i500's?  From the articles I've found thus far, I cannot tell what the construction is for the MCC - did you try these as well?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

No Mizuno Demos here in Yuma so far.  Reading a bit more I see their is a MP20 (forged blade), MP20 MCC, and the MP20 HMB (hollow muscle back).  The HMB design/construction seems very similar to the i500's?  From the articles I've found thus far, I cannot tell what the construction is for the MCC - did you try these as well?

No.  I tried the JPX 919 forged and Hot Metal, which were actually worse than my Bridgstones.  The HMB irons were like throwing darts; so consistent.  They were a bit shorter than my Bridgestones but I would trade that for the consistency.  However, they were a little too rich for my blood, when I don't really need new irons.  They are at the top off my list if I get a wild hair.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 2:28 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I play the MP-20 MMCs. They feel great. Not as good as the blades, but still very good. Faster and more forgiving for sure, but I still retain some feedback and workability. The HMB definitely launches higher than the MMC or blades and it is easy to miss high on the club face if you are used to blades or small cavity backs. The HMB also looks much larger behind the ball.

Details and technical specs here: https://www.mizunousa.com/product/golf-mp-20-mmc.do

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x