TESTERS WANTED! ×

This is My Quest

HighFade

Very good day. Played a practice round at Twin Peaks. 23 putts and shot 68. That'll build some confidence!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good day. Played a practice round at Twin Peaks. 23 putts and shot 68. That'll build some confidence!

Nice! Sounds like the prep is going well.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I've been traveling for work the last two weeks, so I haven't been able to pick up a club. But I did find time to register for Golf channel Amateur tour. First tournament of the year is Saturday. There are 12 guys in the Championship flight. Most are about 2-6 handicaps, but there are a couple +2 and better. Should be a good test in "real" tournament conditions.

Practice round Friday, and some short game work this week, and I should be ready to go.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I was planning on giving some tournaments a run next season again, I am using this year to get back on the horse and conferrable in my own golf swing again. I probably have tried so many different things that I thought was going to help me score better instead it just set me back more. Putting, chipping & pitching, full swing. It is best to leave it alone and practice once you have the swing grooved in and are breaking 80 regularly. I agree with R.P. Jacobs II, in saying that you just have to work with what you have once you get to

Take Tiger Woods, he won the Tiger slam and then did a complete swing overhaul, for what reason? No one in history has done that, everyone just tries to keep that swing they are winning with. Tiger is in his 2nd complete swing change and well this one has to be done for medical reasons I understand that.

I have been enjoying reading your posts, It looks like the focus is in the right place and sounds like you have a great shot at getting it done. Keep up the posts I might be using them next year in my run at the US Mid AM / US Pub Links (I still qualify for the pub links as my course is a public resort course with no tee time restrictions for guests) Have to get my 8.7 down to a 1 to 3 before I even consider it however so a lot of work to be done before I pony up so to speak to give it a run.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I hope to be reading your posts next year!

I completely agree about the swing practice. For anyone who can reasonably hit the ball, it's all about the short game, especially putting. For a 2 handicap, my swing is pretty lousy. But I learned a while ago, that you can make up for three mediocre shots with one good putt. There are some really ugly swings on tour, but there are no bad putters!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I hope to be reading your posts next year!I completely agree about the swing practice. For anyone who can reasonably hit the ball, it's all about the short game, especially putting. For a 2 handicap, my swing is pretty lousy. But I learned a while ago, that you can make up for three mediocre shots with one good putt. There are some really ugly swings on tour, but there are no bad putters!

I agree that is why I started working with Burnt Edges Consulting on my putting stroke, and turned my focus more to short game then full swing.

High Fade, you're probably gonna hate me by the time ya tee it up but I'm gonna say three words:1)TARGET, 2)TARGET, 3)TARGET...and when you're done with that, 90% of your focus should be on the TARGET!!..Let 'em fly my friend...Fairways & Greens 4ever...

I agree with this completely I notice that I hit the best shots from the tee and into the green when I pick a finite target such as a 5 yard circle in the fairway or on the green where I want to land the ball, the closer the distance the smaller of the target I pick. I think that I once heard Greg Norman talk about his caddies giving him 1/2 yardage distance when he was on and that you are hitting to a 3 foot circle on tour. All about the exact target and swing to get it done, my long game is typically a lot better then my putting and short game. I have the length need the accuracy more so been working on backing off swing so hard at times, seems to happen more often with driver that I over swing a little.

Please, call me Richard...Fairways & Greens 4ever...

No problem I will try to remember that.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Oh, the ups and downs. Played a tournament Saturday. Boy the swing flaws are revealed under pressure! I don't want to even say my score out loud.....

Parred the front 9, except the three OB shots off the tee, for a total of 6 over. Even worse on the back...

Gotta straighten out that driver!!!!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Driver is a callaway diablo 9.5 with 76 gram S shaft

3 and 5 are stock callaway diablo

4-GW are Maltby

Wedges Cleveland.

Driver has been my Achilles heal lately. Thus the new shaft.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I have the TM rossa spider. You can have that and my 3w when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Haven't posted anything recently, so I thought I'd put up SOMETHING today....

The last tournament I played horrifically. My driver really let me down. I had a Callaway Diablo with a 76 gram shaft I put in to reduce spin and lower my trajectory a bit. Let's just say it didn't have the effect I was looking for. It still dropped out of the air like a stone and spun way too much. (usually OB)

So I grabbed my old 9 degree R9 with a regular flex, and my "new" driver (also 9 degree) and did some testing on a launch monitor. The results were surprising, but based on what I saw in the course, shouldn't have been. The low launch, low spin driver gave me 3,600 rpm and a launch angle of 14. Just what I wanted to avoid. The R9 was 12 degrees with 3300rpm. Better, but still not where I want it to be.

So I stuck with the R9 and worked on lowering trajectory and spin using minor swing changes. I moved the ball back in my stance a bit and tried to get through the ball more instead of hitting it up - thereby reducing the effective loft.

After about a half hour, I was able to decrease launch angle to about 10, and spin was down to 2800. Added 20 yards to carry, and 15 yards to roll. So now I'm up to about 275 carry with 20 yards of roll, and that should do just fine. (In Colorado, you can't hit 250 yard drives and expect to hit less than 4 iron into par 4's!)

I played a practice round at this week's GC tournament, and the results were spot on. Not only was I hitting them lower and longer, but my accuracy was greatly improved. It just seemed to go soooo straight!

I'm just afraid that with all this driver work, my short game is gonna suffer. Usually all I practice is chipping and putting, and I haven't done that in two weeks! Gonna try to work on both driver and short game this week. My work is never done...

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

The last tournament I played horrifically. My driver really let me down. I had a Callaway Diablo with a 76 gram shaft I put in to reduce spin and lower my trajectory a bit. Let's just say it didn't have the effect I was looking for. It still dropped out of the air like a stone and spun way too much. (usually OB)

So I grabbed my old 9 degree R9 with a regular flex, and my "new" driver (also 9 degree) and did some testing on a launch monitor. The results were surprising, but based on what I saw in the course, shouldn't have been. The low launch, low spin driver gave me 3,600 rpm and a launch angle of 14. Just what I wanted to avoid. The R9 was 12 degrees with 3300rpm. Better, but still not where I want it to be.

So I stuck with the R9 and worked on lowering trajectory and spin using minor swing changes. I moved the ball back in my stance a bit and tried to get through the ball more instead of hitting it up - thereby reducing the effective loft.

After about a half hour, I was able to decrease launch angle to about 10, and spin was down to 2800. Added 20 yards to carry, and 15 yards to roll. So now I'm up to about 275 carry with 20 yards of roll, and that should do just fine. (In Colorado, you can't hit 250 yard drives and expect to hit less than 4 iron into par 4's!)

I played a practice round at this week's GC tournament, and the results were spot on. Not only was I hitting them lower and longer, but my accuracy was greatly improved. It just seemed to go soooo straight!

I'm just afraid that with all this driver work, my short game is gonna suffer. Usually all I practice is chipping and putting, and I haven't done that in two weeks! Gonna try to work on both driver and short game this week. My work is never done...

Very interesting results with the driver...just proves that there is no single fix, you have to find what works for you.

Continued good luck keeping all aspects of your game sharp!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I am not sure what kind of player you are if you control distance on putts and chips from feel or from mechanics. If you have same tempo on swings and change the length of swing mechanically it is a little easier to keep and control over time, I have done both and using the later mechanical tempo and change length to produce distance control. Something I learned from working with Bruce and Burnt Edges Consulting. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are a 'feel' person that really changes both tempo and length of swing to generate distances that needs more work and you will be streaky at times.

I agree that eliminating the big number is important, after my rounds I go back through the score card and see which holes i made mistakes and how many strokes it cost me. Good way to really pin point what needs to be looked at the most in terms of saving 1 - 3 strokes a round.

As for Driver thing just need to find a shaft head combo that works with your swing and produces optimal carry and run.

You'll have those days, rounds & weeks...Don't obsess about the mechanics now...Obviously you gotta correct the errant driver, but @ this stage of the game, the only thing IN your mind should be fairway, green, pin...You were crushing it a few weeks ago & knockin pins down..Visualize the swing, shot & outcomes from those days....And obviously hit the short irons to death....I'll grab a cart & go out on the course in the evening & grab an empty hole & drop three balls @ varying 9i-LW distances & play them into the hole...Same with sand shots..The Best, Richard....Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Good advice I play a lot of 9 hole rounds after work and play 2 to 4 extra balls into the greens from 200 yards and in, mostly 150 and in espesually 100 and in. AS long as you keep the ball in play off the tee those are the distance that will matter the most to you in a round in hitting the green and scoring. Probably why I am a much better iron player then tee box player lol. I am in the same boat as HF right now having too many mistakes off the tee that are costing me strokes so I know the feeling.

If you don't have time to hit 9 holes on the course for practice, then on the practice tee 'range' make sure to go through you pre-shot routine on every ball, have a good mental picture, heck even play your home course in your mind before making a stroke, that helps a lot in taking the shots and reps on the practice tee to the course. You might take 1.5 hours just to hit 35 balls but that is better then 150 balls just making swings without a target.

Good practice session this morning. Started chipping and bunkers, then a bucket of drivers and wedges. Putting started really badly. Missed my first 10 two-footers! But kept at it and now i feel really confident. Didn't realize the time, I spent over three hours at the range!!!!

Another tournament tomorrow.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Good luck!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

75 good enough for T-3. Meh. Hit it pretty well, especially driver. 15/18 greens. Just couldn't drop a putt! 32 putts. The work continues....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Focus on the best parts of each round. Never forget to enjoy each moment you have out on the course. Keep up the good work and good luck. I would never speak for anyone else but my guess is you have this entire forum in your corner pulling for you.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Thanks! Nice to know I have a virtual gallery. Tough to complain with a 75 on a difficult course, but I definitely left a few out there.

I'm sure that if I can get a hot putter, I'm a shoe in to qualify. I hope not to let you down.

And I hope to cheer on others here too! Maybe I can start a new category: "chasing your dreams"

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

• 2 weeks later...

Just learned I shot a 76. Kind of. Playing partner miscounted one of my scores. Gave me a 4 instead of a 3. But then he added wrong! At the end, he said "I have you down for 75. 38 front, 37 back"

I concurred and signed my card. problem was, I just signed for a 76! Lesson learned. LOOK AT EVERY HOLE!!!!! Cost me $ this time, but not a lot.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

One month to go til the qualifier. My swing is feeling great. Got my driver issues resolved by going back to my R9. Now it's almost a strength. It's so straight!

From here on out it's all about putting, putting, putting!

I've been traveling almost 2 weeks a month since the beginning of the year, so practice has been limited. Done traveling til fall, now I can concentrate on the short game. I'm feeling confident that if I can get my putter going, I have a very serious shot at this.

Another GC tournament June 3. Gotta stay tournament sharp!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I played a practice round, and just couldn't get used to the greens. Hit it really well, but putting was off. 3 wiggled the first three holes.

Been to the practice greens a few times this week. Just gotta keep at it!

Another GC tournament Sunday.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Well, I played a practice round, and just couldn't get used to the greens. Hit it really well, but putting was off. 3 wiggled the first three holes.

Been to the practice greens a few times this week. Just gotta keep at it!

Another GC tournament Sunday.

Good luck on Sunday! I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we are all rooting for you.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

T-7. Yuck!!!

Haven't practiced for a while and it showed. Poa greens didn't help. Everything was just a little off. No birdies, and three OB. Reality check - I can't play well if I don't practice.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Another tournament, another bad round.....

Putting was atrocious. Spent a lot of time after my round to work on it. Made a couple tweaks, specifically with backswing and stance. Was feeling good, so I played again Sunday. Only 3 putted once (from about 60 feet), and drained 3 over 20 feet. Some much needed confidence!

Now it's on to chipping.

Took the 60 out of the bag. I tend to overuse it. Trying stupid, low percentage shots when a chip will be safer and more reliable. But I still have a tendency to decel when chipping. Gonna concentrate on that. One week to go!!!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I forgot the best part. I rolled my ankle hitting from a downhill lie. Not too bad, but enough to make me grimace on every follow through, when all my weight is on that foot.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

What a cool thread - I will follow along - My current index is 1.8 - my goal this year is to get it below 1.0 and keep it there for a couple of revisions.

I tried to qualify for the Senior Open the year I turned 50 - that's an easier nut - one day affair they took about 12 qualifiers from my site (Southern Hills in Brooksville). The tournament was at Whistling Straits where I've played a number of times and where I have lots of friends so the cost wouldn't have been so great.

I've got to tell you I melted under the heat in the qualifying round - Florida in mid-June on a hilly course - it was aweful - shot 84 - 78 made it in. We played the course at 6,800 yards after two days of heavy rain seemed like 7,800.

conservative is usually best in qualifying rounds like this.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Now I'm getting nervous. My ankle is really sore and swollen today. Gonna get a brace and a walking cane. Only 6 more days to heal.....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

HF, I know that you were asking about the Driver and situations for a upcoming tournament would this be the one you have building up to in this thread?

I know that you said you lack discipline in the other thread to have a 60* in the bag, do you think that in the next few days with the ankle messed up you could work on gaining some more confidence in picking the proper club for the short game shot?

I might have said it before, but my routine is to pick a spot about 2 or 3 yards onto the green and try to land the ball on that spot rolling it the rest of the way to the cup, i just pick a loft to achieve that goal. Figure if you can't make full swings right now you can work on putting and short game.

Archived