Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Recovery from Hip Replacement Surgery

There are a couple threads out there asking about how soon people were able to golf again after hip replacement surgery.  As I’m about to undergo it myself I thought I’d chronicle my journey.

As everyone is unique and as always your mileage may very… a bit about me.  I am 55 years old and weight 165 pounds.  A couple of key things that should aid in my recovery: I do a hot yoga class and an ashtanga yoga class every week; and I’m a walker when I play golf three or four times a week when in season.  On those days I can’t play golf, and in the off season I use the elliptical machine for forty minutes in the morning.

My hip has been bad for 55 years.  Yes, you read that right.  Dislocated at birth I was in traction as a baby.  It’s was ok and I was pain free until my late forties.  However I ended up having a short leg on my left side.  Chiropractor took one look at me and said I was uneven and have been wearing a heel lift for years.  The last few years have not been good.  I see a massage therapist with increasing regularity.  I always thought it was just my muscles that ached — my psoas, iliacus, hip flexors, piriformis, abductors…all on just my left side.  Turns out they are all just trying to protect and compensate for that hip.  Finally asked my doctor to take a look at my hip and very first glance he said “square peg, round hole.  You need a new one” and he sent me off to my first surgeon.

What kind of surgery?

Surgeon Number One took one look and agreed.  Question was when did I want to do it, and how long would it last.  Again, I’m 55… To see if surgery would improve things he put me one a prescription of celebrex. Day two and I could feel an amazing difference.

Surgeon One does Posterior hip replacement surgeries - ie., they come in from the back side.  A couple of the ladies in my yoga class are nurses at the surgery center and in talking with them about it they encouraged my to check out someone who did an Anterior surgery, where they come in from the front.   I didn’t know there were two kinds so I started to do some reading.   Sure enough two different ways of replacing the hip joint and because of the muscles they have to go through they each have their own limitations and restrictions.  Imagine if something goes wrong your hip could be dislocated either forwards or backwards - so what kind of movements need to be restricted to prevent that.

So I went back to Surgeon One and we talked about posterior vs anterior.  Much of what I read indicates that anterior has a faster recovery time and few restrictions.  Surgeon One disputes that - that ultimately the complication factor is minuscule and eventually the limitations are about the same.  So then I sat on the floor and went through some yoga moves asking could I do this or that.  The first thing I did was put my legs in lotus position - “why would you even want to do that?” was the response and I knew I had to investigate Anterior.

There is only one surgeon where I live that does Anterior, so I met with Surgeon Number Two. He admitted he hadn’t had anyone ask him about yoga so I’d be a bit of a Guinea pig, but after watching what I wanted to do he had a few restrictions and said the rest should be fine.  The poses he wanted to restrict were not ones I really like anyway, and most of my ashtanga practice should be relatively ok. So we’ll see.  He also looked at my x-ray and thought he could help with my short leg.  No promises, but he talked about having a couple of different prosthetic implants; one larger that could be inserted into my thigh bone to lengthen my leg.  It will literally be a game day decision once they get inside - but I’m really hopeful he can attend to that.

All of that was back in November and  December of 2021.  I cannot take off work from January through May (that’s when I make my living) and I didn’t want to risk trying to squeeze it in without ample time for recovery.  So that pushed it off until spring.  Well, I didn’t want to miss out on any of the golf season… so that meant waiting until fall.  So here we are.  Scheduled for surgery two weeks after the Prairie Club closes and I know we’ll have had a couple of hard frosts and the days are getting short.

During the course of the last year while waiting Ive been on celbrex everyday, and been seeing my massage therapist every two weeks.

7 Days Until Surgery

I’m not allowed to take my multi vitamin, or any of my supplements (glucausemine, zinc, potassium) or my celebrex.  Reason being they don’t know what’s in the vitamins and some have fish oil which is a blood thinner - so only prescription medicine.  But no celbrex, or any IB profen.  Only Tylenol.  I could tell a difference within 48 hours….

They encourage a more high fiber diet.  The idea being that surgery can cause bowel obstructions and post surgery the pain meds can cause constipation. So lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies.   They also want you hydrated - so cut back on caffeine (didn’t do that) and drink more water (did do that).

A week out I was supposed to start my rehab exercises.  Honestly I thought these were extremely mild.  Much less than what I do on a daily basis between my regular routines and yoga - but I checked the box with ankle pumps, heel slides, abduction moves quad arcs.  I’m sure it will be more challenging post surgery.9D339EFE-6FDA-4218-B8BA-869B1566F0ED.jpeg.27b1a973d37639afcd61b189c31f39fc.jpeg

I know I’m not the typical hip replacement candidate - a lot younger and more active.

Four Days Before Surgery

Blood work, typing and labs. All the directions in when to stop eating, drinking, and getting the surgical wash.

One Day Before Surgery

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  6 pm and at 9m I drink a bottle of PreSurgery Ensure - a clear carbohydrate drink. No eating or drinking anything but water after 10pm. Before going to bed shower with half a bottle of the presurgical wash

We borrowed one of those push walkers and a grabber from my mother in law.  Will get a cane later this afternoon.  SheWhoMustBeObeyed and I have different opinions on how much assistance I’m going to need.  We’ll see…

70137782-ECDA-4E57-8C9D-34477DADB24B.jpeg.91a370eb41580378099b0a75232dbdef.jpeg
Day of Surgery

Up at 5, drink a third bottle of Ensure before 5:45. Use the rest of the presurgical wash and shower.  Checked in to surgery center at 6:45 - two hours of paper work, answering questions, and waiting. Walked into the surgical suite carrying my IV drip bag right at 9.  

Apparently took just under two hours.

So here is something I wasn’t expecting - had to shave - wish I could have done that at home…

Post Op… 2pm

So everything went well.  I should be more level and balanced now…  (I’m about half an inch short in the left and he extended my leg a quarter of an inch or so - so we’ll see how that plays out.).

Side note - I’ve been keeping track of how many nurses, aides, doctors, etc I’ve seen - 11 so far.  No wonder healthcare and insurance is so expensive… anyway first thing I asked for in the recovery room was a diet my dew… and they had one.  A little groggy - but it’s been three hours and I’m typing away here.   

To put me out it was a spinal and something to sleep.  I remember talking w the Doc in the operating room and asking for my x rays - and then it was waking up in recovery.  Been making a game of try the get the spirameter to the top (the thing  you blow into to help your lungs recover) and been doing toe pumps and kneee bends.  A few abductors, but can’t lift the leg yet.  Already been warned by the nurse not to over due it because I’ll set myself back.  SheWhomustBeObeyed said “I told him…”

And by 2:40 I’m able to lift the leg and roll over onto my side.  My butt still feels numb and achy/sore.  But all I’ve had are two Tylenol and it’s minimal pain  

Doctor says no driving for two weeks  and and no yard work for 6 weeks - wants to keep me on something smooth and level.  Not sure who’ll be raking those leaves…

6D7D22DB-F654-41E5-8098-4888C228935D.jpeg.91f8191bd262aa22e7ded0e6098e7629.jpeg

I’m not sure how large the incision is, but the dressing is only as long as my hand and is on the top left of my thigh running straight up and down.  It’s a new kind of dressing this hospital has been using for the last year  it looks like a piece of grey foam padding and then it’s covered in plastic. No changing the dressing myself, not worrying about it in the shower.  It will stay on until the doctor removes it during a follow up visit.

3:15 pm and they have me sitting up, then standing, then marching in place.  Afterwards I’m sitting w iPhone in hand… fighting boredom.

05ED8BF6-3E67-453D-BAC0-83DD8C8E8ECE.jpeg.84ddc3d6167419618f7304beb2c03999.jpeg5pm  - off for the first walk. Feeling no pain - but they tell me that’s still the anesthesia - but I feel some numbness along the side of my thigh and it’s bit stiff. I sat in the chair for a couple hours so straightening the leg is good as it feels stiff. A bit swollen on that side - right where the IT band is. But walked 3/4 of the hall and back. 
During the course of the evening I made two more loops around the ward.  Got easier and went the full distance in the second loop.  Harder on the third.  This is when the leg started to feel heavy. More difficult to lift.  By 11 I was content just walking to the bathroom.  The anesthesia has finally warn off.  Still, it’s 11 and all of had are four extra strength Tylenol and something to reduce inflammation (2x) and an antibiotic (2x).  I’m promised a 2 am visit, but I usually wake up around then anyway.

All in all, pretty good day.  

I’ll edit and update this post, and during my recovery documenting how things go on the road to recovery and return to the golf course.   Exercises, rehab and how the swing etc respond.  I have high hopes and am very optimistic.

Edited by WaffleHouseTour
I’m going to keep updating the original post

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Hey WH, I have two buddies that have had a hip replacement in the last year. Both guys, one age 49 & the other 74, were back playing 2 months after surgery.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

WH, best of luck with your surgery.  I had a golfing friend who had both of his hips replaced at the same time.  He was up and walking (with a walker) within 24 hours and was back playing golf in 6 or 7 weeks.

Personally, I had my left knee replaced five years ago.  My knee was bone and bone, misaligned and I was bowlegged.   I spent one night in the hospital, had a 4.5-hour car ride home and started my physical therapy the next day. 

728314992_Normwalkingafterkneereplacement.jpg.0bade24414a4dc595840ad95e4188956.jpg

Here's me up and walking less than 16 hours after surgery.  Make sure you keep the rubber bottom socks you'll likely get from the hospital.  They come in handy when navigating wood or tile floors.  Six weeks later, I was playing golf again.   Even pushing it hard in my PT, I never felt very much pain.  Now, I can hardly tell which knee is real or artificial. 

I have one somewhat funny personal experience with your beverage of choice:  Ensure.  About 12 years ago, I was involved in a hit and run accident on a scooter (coming back from golf).  I ended up with a broken neck (C5) which required almost three weeks in the hospital and months of physical and occupational therapy.  One of my lasting memories was having to drink two large Ensure drinks every meal for almost four months.  The surgery to rebuild my neck impacted my ability to swallow, so no solid food!  Everything had to be blended, pureed or totally liquid.  To ensure I got enough protein, I was required to drink two bottles of Ensure for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It didn't take too long to really not like the taste!  To this day, I still can't pass it in the grocery store without a flashback and cringing!

If hip incisions are anything like knees, one word of advice for after you get your bandage off.   At physical therapy, make sure the therapist does a deep message on your incision at the start or end of your session.  I asked mine therapist why he was spending so much time working my incision.  He said that if they don't break up the scare tissue under the incision, it won't ultimately lay flat.  I noticed others who had knee replacements and many of them have raised scares that almost look like a zipper.  Those extra few minutes made a big difference in the way my knee looks and performs today.  

Best of luck with your surgery!  Hang in there.  Within a couple of months, you will be swinging a club and wondering why you didn't get this done before!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Wow I could've written some parts of that story!!

Mis-formed cams at the top of the femurs wore out the sockets .. arthritis moved in .. then got a labrum tear on the left side .. lived with it a while (prob too long) and finally had a replacement at 61 (closing in on 62).

..and yeah the right side may be going into the shop sometime...

I'd also gone with the anterior approach based on research, interviews (saw several different Orthos) plus the recommendation of a good friend who's a chiropractor and had extensively researched it for himself. 

FYI from what I learned the *initial time* to walking unassisted and starting to resume activities is shorter with the anterior method, BUT -- the overall total time to "full" recovery is approx the same with either approach. 

You were smart to ask about your leg length - another funny coincidence I had a lesser amount of the same problem and asked my doctor to even me out (well... I really asked him to make me 6 feet tall 🤪). 

Sounds like you have a good surgeon, too - you *do* want them to trial fit the pieces when they have you opened up ... apparently the angle and orientation of the stem that goes into the femur is critical.

So recovery... for most people the first two weeks will be difficult, regardless of age and condition. YMMV of course!

Also my Ortho was very conservative specifically about golfing again (yes he's a golfer) so I took it pretty slow. Did all the prescribed PT plus more on my own.

Can't recall the exact timeline to golfing again but it was a few weeks until I was comfortable walking unassisted that I started just putting at home, then a few more weeks until I started with small chipping motions, then build up to bigger pitch shots and then a little more time to actually playing a full round.

So I'm not gonna brag about, oh I was back out there in 5 weeks ... but I would caution you to be patient, "listen to your body" as it really does take TIME for the implant to fully set in and for all the muscles and soft tissue that they tore apart to heal up....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Best of luck WH on your surgery and recovery.  As a Left Knee replacement recipient, I know how you will feel about getting back to golf.  It sound like you will be fully recovered before next golfing season, so all you have to do is the recovery exercises.  You should do fine.  Keep us posted!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Day One Post Op

Walked out of the surgical hospital at 10:23am w just a cane…

…and binder full of instructions on PT, when to take meds, how to get into the shower, and keep my bowels moving.  Yeah, great stuff I know. But the spinal does shut down your intestines so you need to wake them up. 

Anyway, slept off and on during the night and got a visit every few hours to check vitals etc. Up at 6 and started the day. Breakfast, visits from the Doc and OT and PT. I told PT that I was using the Walker with just one hand and she asked how it went. Great. Let’s try just a cane - even better. Allowed me to stand up straighter. Ready to go home.  

Doc says no driving for two weeks. No use of my eliptical machine until after he sees me in two weeks. But up and walking once an hour. Do my PT twice a day. 

So far I’m still on two Tylenol three times a day, but have a script for Tramadol and Oxy - but I am hoping to not need/use those. Maybe at night. Im told I’m still comfortable from the spinal and the pain will come. 

Basically what I feel is a really heavy leg - like it weighs a hundred pounds. That will improve. 

Talking w my PT she said I was smart getting anterior.  Too many folks don’t know there are two kinds of surgeries.  Many of the surgeons who do posterior don’t tell their patients there is a new procedure that is less invasive, faster recovery and fewer restrictions. Not everyone is walking out w a cane at 10:23…

I’ve been reminded repeatedly to take it slow and take it easy. Not to push. Trying too hard will actually slow down my recovery. I’m listening. 

In the evening, despite the non-stop ice packs, the bruising really started to show up. And the pain finally started to kick in.  Decided to  take some tramadol at bed time - make sure I can sleep through the night.  I want to minimize any sort of narcotic, but this also has anti inflammatory properties - so I think it’ll be the evening routine for the next few days. 

Edited by WaffleHouseTour
Just updating what happened in the evening

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

Day Two Post Op

The leg no longer feels like the Doc used a 100 lbs prosthetic… So that’s good. 
But I’ve also checked twice this morning to make sure the incision had not split open - because if feels like it has…. Not so good.  And no, I didn’t really think it split open, but it sure feels that way. Like a hot straight line.  

I expected today to be when the pain ramped up.  The spinal is fully worn off.  The swelling and bruising is in full swing.  But every hour (except when I was still trying to sleep off the effects of last nights tramadol) I’m still getting up and walking the route I’ve established in my house going up and down some stairs, to the kitchen, to bathroom, to living room, to stare out the front door etc. The walking with the cane actually decreases the pain as I do it. It’s just those first couple steps that feel like fire. 

PT exercises - my post surgery PT exercises are the same as those prior to surgery (see pictures in first post). I know I said they were pretty mild. A lot more challenging now.  The knee lifts being the most difficult.263A9872-87DC-48F7-9BA4-628753D1ABAC.jpeg.2a6e66de96d6fddacffc79267fc94614.jpeg

OT needs - since I didn’t need a walker (mother-in-law gets hers back) the items I’ve needed/used are a cane, a shower chair and the all important grabber… Oh, and a very long shoe horn. Not a shorty but one that’s like two feet long and helps slide you feet into the shoe without bending. No bending for a while, no folding at the waist. So… the grabber. Helps pull your socks on, slide the pant legs on over your toes, strong enough to lift that iPad that was just out of reach, or the soduko puzzle book that fell on the floor while you were napping.  You will want a grabber, guaranteed.

Sounds like you're progressing nicely!

Haha yeah that formerly stoopit looking initial PT ain't so stoopit now, huh 😉 .. keep at it, slow and steady 👍

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Day Three Post Op

Finally have the cobwebs cleared out of my head - when I woke up at 2am I resisted the urge for tramadol and just stuck w Tylenol. Makes my head feel much better. But I also saw 3, 4, 5, and 6 on the clock… I’m a side sleeper and I’m ok sleeping on the non-torn open and had the bones shattered side… but I want to roll onto that side too.

Actually feeling the best all around this morning. Exercises were easier, and felt good enough to go on a shopping trip w SheWhoMustBeObeyed to get a new handle/grab bar for the shower. So between stops at Walgreens, Target and Lowes - I finally got some steps in that didn’t involve circling the dinning room table. The more I walked the better I felt.  I do, however, look like my 86 year old mother getting in and out of the car.

Day Four Post Op

Feeling better and slept better. But the bruising has really set in, and in some very strange places. I was expecting to turn purpley/red around the incision area, and I guess I wasn’t really surprised that it also appeared on my buttocks and backside of my thigh.  But bruising around my groin? Particularly on soft tissue I thought would be immune from that…?  Scared me a bit.  But some quick research on Google and I know I’m not alone with that.  Prior to surgery I did not want the gory details of how it was to be performed - I mean I know they have to separate ball from socket, and cut bone, and inserting the prosthetic would not be a gentle process. Heck I have trouble getting the legs and wings off the Thanksgiving turkey…. I didn’t need to see the videos in advance. But I’ve done more reading on how your body, be it ankles, knees, etc are positioned, held in place and then stretched and pulled… so its probably amazing there isn’t more bruising. 

Feeling good enough today to up my repetitions from three sets of ten to three sets of twenty. At least that is the plan after the first set.  We’ll see what the afternoon brings. 

Personal grooming 

So far showering myself has been easy with the grab bars, and we are removing the shower chair as it’s really just in the way.  I’m glad we had it, just in case.  But since I’m only taking one dose of tramadol at 10pm, and it’s out of my system by 2am, and reloading with only Tylenol - I don’t have a fuzzy head when I get in the shower. That’s the concern the OT/PT folks have - the combination of the narcotic and the warm steam can make some folks a bit dizzy or lightheaded - the chair is there to just sit down into if you feel that way.  So it’s coming out. But have to have those grab bars to step up and in to my tub/shower combination. 

As far as getting dressed I can do everything with the grabber (see earlier post) except for tying my shoes. The OT folks suggest some elastic shoe strings… but I’m not going there.  Yes, I’ve lost all personal dignity through this process being strapped naked to a table, but by God I’m not wearing elastic shoe strings.  So SheWhoMustBeObeyed helps with that.  I am physically capable of doing it.  But they (the Doc and PT) we’re pretty firm about no bending over. At least not yet.  Since one of my proscribed exercises is me laying on my back and sliding my foot up to my glute as close as I can and holding for five seconds - I may see if I can do that, hold and if I can reach to tie my shoe….

3 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Day Four Post Op

Feeling better and slept better. But the bruising has really set in, and in some very strange places. I was expecting to turn purpley/red around the incision area, and I guess I wasn’t really surprised that it also appeared on my buttocks and backside of my thigh.  But bruising around my groin? Particularly on soft tissue I thought would be immune from that…?  Scared me a bit.  But some quick research on Google and I know I’m not alone with that.  Prior to surgery I did not want the gory details of how it was to be performed - I mean I know they have to separate ball from socket, and cut bone, and inserting the prosthetic would not be a gentle process. Heck I have trouble getting the legs and wings off the Thanksgiving turkey…. I didn’t need to see the videos in advance. But I’ve done more reading on how your body, be it ankles, knees, etc are positioned, held in place and then stretched and pulled… so its probably amazing there isn’t more bruising. 

Feeling good enough today to up my repetitions from three sets of ten to three sets of twenty. At least that is the plan after the first set.  We’ll see what the afternoon brings. 

Personal grooming 

So far showering myself has been easy with the grab bars, and we are removing the shower chair as it’s really just in the way.  I’m glad we had it, just in case.  But since I’m only taking one dose of tramadol at 10pm, and it’s out of my system by 2am, and reloading with only Tylenol - I don’t have a fuzzy head when I get in the shower. That’s the concern the OT/PT folks have - the combination of the narcotic and the warm steam can make some folks a bit dizzy or lightheaded - the chair is there to just sit down into if you feel that way.  So it’s coming out. But have to have those grab bars to step up and in to my tub/shower combination. 

As far as getting dressed I can do everything with the grabber (see earlier post) except for tying my shoes. The OT folks suggest some elastic shoe strings… but I’m not going there.  Yes, I’ve lost all personal dignity through this process being strapped naked to a table, but by God I’m not wearing elastic shoe strings.  So SheWhoMustBeObeyed helps with that.  I am physically capable of doing it.  But they (the Doc and PT) we’re pretty firm about no bending over. At least not yet.  Since one of my proscribed exercises is me laying on my back and sliding my foot up to my glute as close as I can and holding for five seconds - I may see if I can do that, hold and if I can reach to tie my shoe….

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better WHT.   My favorite part of this post was the comparison to a Thanksgiving Turkey... timely and very relevant.  haha.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

One Week Post Op

Did not take any Tramadol all weekend - only Tylenol, and Celebrex for an anti-inflammatory.  That was good.  Not taking any narcotics was a goal of mine.  But then I thought, do I really need the Tylenol?  What is it even doing?  So I took my last Tylenol Saturday night when I went to bed, and did not take any at all on Sunday until it was bed time.  I iced my leg all day when I wasn't walking or exercising.  It was sore and hurt, sure, to be expected, but tolerable.  But it was a dumb move.  When I went to bed and took my Tylenol I realized it is going to take some time to kick in.  Meanwhile I'm lying here and I don't want to ice it in bed... So that was not good.  Not going to try and hero it today.  Tylenol for breakfast!

But overall things are progressing nicely.  Three sets of twenty repetitions.  Could up that - but I'm telling myself there isn't a need - even though I'm not feeling any pain internally that bone needs to graft... and I'm not, btw, feeling any internal pain.  As I think of where I ache its all on the surface, the muscles around the incision site, and farther up toward my waist - where it is hard to ice.

Most of the redness and bruising has disappear except for the groin area.  Everything else has turned a nice shade of sickening yellow...

Kicking the tramadol has also helped with the constipation - that is gone. So I can stop with the MiraLAX cocktail at breakfast, and cut back on the raisins for snacks and rhubarb paste on toast.  I know, TMI, but that is something people have to deal with.  Those narcotics shut you down...

Next up - long distance driving/riding... I'm not supposed to drive this week, even off the narcotics.  Doctors orders.  So SheWhoMustBeObeyed is going to drive me 3 hours to DesMoines for a couple of work meetings (the world keeps on spinning even if I'm sitting still) we'll see if that three hours become four as we make repeated stops to get out and let me walk and stretch.   A change of scenery will be nice. 

Keep up the good work!  The best part is that it's all downhill from here.  I agree with you getting off the narcotics.  During my knee replacement it was given to me the one day in the hospital and to make the 4-5 hour trip home from the hospital.  Per doctor's orders, I took it before my first physical therapy session to manage the pain.  After that, like you I stuck with over-the-counter medications.   Glad to hear you are progressing and we've got fingers crossed for your recovery!

WH congrads on your successful surgery. You'll be swinging full shots when you can do it. Don't push too hard. Took me 8 weeks before I felt I "should" swing easy swings. After 2 or 3 swings I started to push it. Do what your body says you can do. I was 66 at the time. The past 2 seasons since having that done have been my best 2 seasons of my life. I've been playing off and on for over 50 yrs.  Good luck. It will be totally worth it.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

One week, Five Days Post Op

Feeling better every day. The long distance driving/riding (3 hours) was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Stopped every hour for some walking. Kept using ice packs, and did lots of ankle pumps and leg lifts to just keep things from getting too stiff.  Interestingly the trip home was much easier. Actually dozed off. Funny how this goes.  One day is great and I feel like I could throw the cane away, the next day I’m back with an ice pack. I actually am using the cane less and less. Walking round the house, unless I’m taking the stairs, I’m trying to wean myself off of it.  I think I look like a weeble wobble going side to side with it, and I’m more straight up and down, moving forward w out. But I’m still using on the stairs and when out and about as I don’t always have something to grab onto, and it’s a good visual cue to those around me not to bump into me. 

The swelling, bruising, even the yellow ping is all gone - with the exception of the groin area where it’s still ugly purple.  You’d think that area would be the least susceptible to bruising… makes me wonder just exactly they were doing in that operating room without my knowledge. Then again, I probably don’t want to know. 

The hardest part is obeying the Doctors order on no bending forward, no rotating the leg open or crossing legs. At first I had no desire. Now my body wants to do those things. It’s like my body has a mind of its own, or instinct or habit is kicking in.   I want to do a lunge like position. I want to get down on the floor and stretch. My follow up appointment is in three days, so I’m hopeful I am given the go ahead - or at least a new set of exercises to do. 

Ice packs are *the best* thing!! Had gotten myself an extra long one to wrap around the hip from, back to front, and yes that thing felt good at the end of the day!

When you're walking be conscious of your posture - I had gotten into bad habits and a few weeks after surgery I walked in my PTs office and he immediately noticed I was walking / holding my body in a way that could negatively impact both the "new" hip and the old one, too...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Two Weeks Post Op Doctor Visit

383030F7-6043-4039-876A-962D4C373044.jpeg.a08706103449628270cec52b90adcbf9.jpegGood news and bad news.  Good news is 1) incision area looks great, 2) the implants appear to be well attached and grafting well, and 3) I’m cleared to drive again.  Bad news is all the exercises, stretching, yoga and return to physical activity I am craving - they are telling me to wait until after my next appointment in a month (6week mark). While I may be pain free and things are progressing nicely there is still recovery work going on underneath the surface…. Pushing now could lead to a set back later.  Yadda yadda yadda… I swear that SheWhoMustBeObeyed and the Doctor had a pre-visit conference…

I was told absolutely no leaf raking or snow shoveling…

So actually, it’s all good news.  I’m just impatient.  After two weeks I’m only using the cane when I go outside the house.  I’m down to using the ice packs to once a day, and I’m only on Tylenol and celebrex - so could be worse.  

Got a new set of exercises - just doesn’t seem like enough.  Oh well. It’s not like I can swing a club outside or anything, and I knew that wouldn’t come until January anyway. But I was hoping to get on the elliptical machine. Without that, after Turkey Day I’ll really gain some weight.  I’m allowed to kneel down so long as the new hip is the one out front.  The Doc doesn’t want that hip flexor extending out behind me.FCE24F72-B29C-47AA-AC1B-0FB5A123F3C2.jpeg.d0e8b2d9ab6375f0a834f910022f1863.jpeg

The bandages came off, the incision looks good. The scar is a little shorter than the length of my pointer finger. The purple you see is the magic marker from the surgery… the dark stuff is just scabs that will flake away.  So all told making good progress. 

The most positive note - I’m now allowed to bend at the waist so long as it doesn’t feel like I’m stretching in either my back, or legs.  So I’ll just have to satisfy myself with putting on my mat for the time being.

A7AC5518-3872-4755-848B-05C1505AE1EF.jpeg.ba563057e210eda1ae5e1ea7a9b40552.jpeg

Awesome Waffle House! You are doing much better than expected…..you’ll be back on Tour in no time! Just be sure to follow all the Doc’s rules.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Get those bridges going!! I see numerous patients each week after hip replacements. Looks like you are in the right track exercise wise. You should be more than ready when spring time rolls around to get back on the golf course as long as everything goes as planned. Keep up the great reporting on your progress!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 2 weeks later...

Three Weeks & Four Days Post Op

Felt like I had a three putt this week - figuratively speaking. Two quarter sized pinkish/red spots developed along the incision and a little discharge.  Exchanging emails with pictures on a daily basis with my doc, and he put me on an antibiotic.  He doesn't seem too concerned, as I asked if there was any problem leaving town next week for a full week away for work. 

But other than that, feeling good.  Not using the cane at all - except when I went for a walk on the street as we were expecting snow.  Made the 8 hour drive to Chicago over Thanksgiving to see my kids - stopped every hour to get out and walk.  Was sore, but we made it.  Who knows, that may have something to do with the infection/inflamation above. 

Sleeping is getting better - but as a side sleeper it still isn't the best.  The incision is on my preferred sleeping side, and I'm trying not to.  Zero pain, its just more of a soreness or a deep ache in two places - my glute, and more around the groin area. 

The biggest challenge is "no lifting" - SheWhoMustBeObeyed wouldn't even let me take out the trash bins last night... thought I did lift a suitcase on Wednesday when she wasn't around...  Because I feel no real pain I want to do more. So its much more of a mental challenge.

Went to see my podiatrist this week - I've had custom orthotics for over twenty years, and use a heel lift.  I wanted to see if he thought we needed to make any changes.  He said I needed more time until we make that decision.  He knows I'm a golf nut and wants me to actually swing a club.  He is wondering how well I will be able to pivot around that left/lead leg.  He said I may be wanting to flare that foot out a bit more, and there may be some things to do with the orthotics.  So will be going back in the spring.  In the meantime the heel lifts are out. 

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully the antibiotics will take care of the red spots.

Even though you don't need the cane for walking (other than the elements of course), when I had my knee replaced, I found having it when I was in public gave a visual signal to those who didn't know I had it done not to "do something stupid."  All it would take is someone to trip me or hit me where they shouldn't and it could be a problem.

An unintended outcome of my knee replacement surgery is that the leg with the new knee actually turned out about 1/4-1/2 inch longer.  So it's a good idea to have the podiatrist checkk out everything.   I didn't realize it until about a year later when I went to buy a new suit (nephew wedding).  The tailor marked the pants and I drove back to the mainland a week later to pick it up.   When I tried on the pants, the left pant leg was shorter.  The tailor was puzzled.  I took off the pants and he measured each leg against the other.  They were the exact same length.  I never anticipated that my new knee leg would end up longer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Five Weeks Post Op

Im still fighting an infection - this weekend the Doc switched antibiotics and I think I’ve seen an improvement already. This is the one thing I’ve been most concerned about - infections can spread and that’d be bad.  I’ve just got a spot along the incision line that does not want to close up and heal.  I’ve always been a slow healer when it comes to skin issues but this is getting annoying.   But most folks aren’t going to get an infection, and the purpose of this thread is to memorialize for someone else about to go down this road what to expect.  So…

Exactly at the four week post op mark was the last day I used my ice packs. Had a three hour drive for work and I like using them during that time. A few days later I had the same three hour drive home and forgot to use them. So doing ok. 

Four weeks and three days I stopped taking the Tylenol.  Did not feel a need for it and I don’t notice a difference without it.  So other than the antibiotic I’m only taking celebrex as an anti inflammatory.

My biggest challenges are siting for long periods - just get uncomfortable as the incision goes right up to the bend point at the waist. And I like to cross my legs and I’m not supposed to, yet, cross my involved leg over the uninvolved leg. I’m trying very hard to be a good boy about all this.  Which brings me to the other big challenge - lack of exercise. Walking and the approved mobility exercises just isn’t enough for me, but again, I’m behaving. Also going stir crazy…. I really want to lay on the floor and do some rotational stretches or exercises, but am waiting for approval - hopefully next week.  So I definitely chose the right time of year for this as there is snow on the ground anyway - and I’m not allowed to scoop any of it. 

1 hour ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Five Weeks Post Op

Im still fighting an infection - this weekend the Doc switched antibiotics and I think I’ve seen an improvement already. This is the one thing I’ve been most concerned about - infections can spread and that’d be bad.  I’ve just got a spot along the incision line that does not want to close up and heal.  I’ve always been a slow healer when it comes to skin issues but this is getting annoying.   But most folks aren’t going to get an infection, and the purpose of this thread is to memorialize for someone else about to go down this road what to expect.  So…

Exactly at the four week post op mark was the last day I used my ice packs. Had a three hour drive for work and I like using them during that time. A few days later I had the same three hour drive home and forgot to use them. So doing ok. 

Four weeks and three days I stopped taking the Tylenol.  Did not feel a need for it and I don’t notice a difference without it.  So other than the antibiotic I’m only taking celebrex as an anti inflammatory.

My biggest challenges are siting for long periods - just get uncomfortable as the incision goes right up to the bend point at the waist. And I like to cross my legs and I’m not supposed to, yet, cross my involved leg over the uninvolved leg. I’m trying very hard to be a good boy about all this.  Which brings me to the other big challenge - lack of exercise. Walking and the approved mobility exercises just isn’t enough for me, but again, I’m behaving. Also going stir crazy…. I really want to lay on the floor and do some rotational stretches or exercises, but am waiting for approval - hopefully next week.  So I definitely chose the right time of year for this as there is snow on the ground anyway - and I’m not allowed to scoop any of it. 

Glad to hear that you are progressing.  DON'T overdo it!!  You will have lots of time the rest of this winter to start exercising.

A big snowstorm is headed your way; maybe 3 feet!  You know that you can hire people to shovel.  Call someone; don't let SWMBO do it!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Glad to hear that you are progressing.  DON'T overdo it!!  You will have lots of time the rest of this winter to start exercising.

A big snowstorm is headed your way; maybe 3 feet!  You know that you can hire people to shovel.  Call someone; don't let SWMBO do it!!

Oh trust me, I hired someone w a plow well before I went under the knife.  I enjoy being married...

• 2 weeks later...

Six Weeks Post Op

”If you are headed some place warm for the holidays you can take your clubs” said the Doctor.  “Your body isn’t ready to make a full turn yet,” he said while mimicking a very upright swing in the exam room rising up on his front toes, “and your left heel is going to come off the ground, but you won’t hurt yourself.  It’s not like you are going to be swinging as hard as Tiger Woods.”  

Apparently he doesn’t know about the MGS Speed Challenge…

So, that’s the good news.  Lifting restrictions have been lifted, so I can start carrying the laundry basket upstairs again.  But still no snow shoveling.

I can get back on the elliptical - but at a low resistance level.

The bad - lots of limits on trying to return to my yoga practice - no extension of my involved leg for three months.  So a downward dog is ok, but not an upward dog.  A warrior one or two is ok if the involved leg is the one in front bent 90*; but not if it’s the back leg extending out.  So gotta be patient.  

It’s easier to be patient about the golf - I’m watching the now fall with a -45 windchill, and my ceiling is too low to swing inside until I get to my hotel (home away from home) in mid January.  Being patient about other exercises and yoga is more challenging.  But I’m trying.  

Good news!  Six weeks seems to be the magical time between surgery and the road back to golf. 

You can't ask for a better holiday gift!

Try to stay warm up there.  Here in Key West, it's supposed to be in the high 50's this weekend.  For us, that's about the lowest it gets down here.  The fun part will be watching the iguana's falling out of the trees.  They are cold blooded and will go into a hibernation state until it warms up.  

Keep up the good work and thanks for the update! 

3 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Being patient ... 

Please continue to be patient .. an unnecessary setback now .. will not be good for your mental health!!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg