Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cleveland Launches HB Soft Milled Putter Line

Golfspy_CG2

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. — Nov. 7, 2022 — Cleveland Golf®, is proud to introduce the new HB SOFT Milled line of putters. Discover how milling is available for all with the HB SOFT Milled, officially launching on Nov. 18, 2022.

“The HB SOFT Milled putter line delivers milled precision at a remarkable value,” said Haley Wian, Business Planning Manager at Cleveland Golf. “With a variety of head shapes, alignment options, and a fitting system to match any stroke type, there is an HB SOFT Milled putter to help upgrade your putting performance.”

The new line of putters provides a premium combination of features and technologies at an irresistible price point. HB SOFT Milled starts with each putter shape being cast in molten steel before the face and back are precision milled for performance purposes – the face for consistent distance and the back for a razor-sharp address view. Then, the sole is hand polished to an exacting tolerance before completing the process.

image.png

Featuring a refined Speed Optimized Face Technology (SOFT) which helps to alleviate the issue of distance control, SOFT offers model specific milling that normalizes ball speeds across the entire putter face for a pure, consistent roll regardless of putter shape.

Depending on stroke type and alignment preference, there is a new model to fit every stroke. For Slight Arc stroke types, the Golf Pride PRO ONLY Red Star is a tour-preferred pistol shape grip that is designed to help turn the putter over through the putting stroke. For Straight stroke types, the Golf Pride PRO ONLY Green Star has a rounded, oval-back shape for comfortable hand positioning and to help keep the hands quiet through the stroke.

With this new release, we’re featuring the new UST Mamiya All-In shaft as an upgraded offering for HB SOFT Milled. The All-In shaft features a 26% stiffer profile to help minimize shaft flex during the putting stroke for more consistency. Meanwhile, the proprietary nanotechnology strengthens the shaft for better feel and response, while delivering a 10% more consistent face angle at impact. 

Choose from any of the 10 tour-proven shapes and sink more birdies with premium steel, precision milling, and score-dropping face technology with HB SOFT Milled.

image.png

Key Technologies:

Milled Putter Heads: First cast, then CNC Milled for precise weighting and crisp lines. It’s smarter milling that reduces waste for an attainable cost.

Speed Optimized Face Technology: Ensures consistent speed control and distance performance by normalizing ball speed across the face of the putter, now with a more responsive feel.

Stroke-Fit Alignment and Grip: Each shape features a specific alignment scheme and grip designed to fit the stroke of that putter.

Retail Information and Pricing

Pricing: $199.99 (Standard), $249.99 (UST Mamiya All-In Shaft)

U.S. Retail Launch Date: November 18, 2022

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

One of my favorite putters is a Cleveland Classics Collection 3i HB with insert.  These milled versions look amazing!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Waiting for my comment on the blog to post, but I absolutely love this update. I've really enjoyed my HB Soft Premier 4 and think I will probably order a #4 with the UST shaft and SS Traxion GT 1.0 sometime in the next year - if for no other reason than to make sure I have a solid replacement should something happen to my gamer.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Been using the 10.5S with the ALL-IN shaft on the practice green - the shaft thing is real. It definitely feels more stable compared to a standard steel shaft.  I just had it shortened to 33 inches (35 is too damn long for me) and will see how it stacks up this week. Cleveland has consistently offered a lot of putter tech for a really decent price, but the question remains how seriously do golfers take Cleveland as a putter company? I think it would be a mistake to discount it just because their putters aren't $400 and up. 

As the song says,-  stop, hey, what's that sound? - everybody look what's doing down. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Had a chance to see these and roll a few putts with them a couple weeks ago.   Unbelievelably great feeling and sounding.  And the price should get everone's attention for a milled putter.  But as Barbs says, it remains to be seen if the general off the street golf customer will ackowledge Cleveland as a putter company.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If I were in the market, which I am most certainly not, that 8P with the UST shaft and a deep etched Lamkin would be top of my list to get hands on. Has that Squareback look and size with better alignment for me and shaft tech at that price point? An absolute winner if you're asking me.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Hmmm. Leaning towards the 11S (fang style / slight arc) with the upgraded shaft....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

There is something to these new non bland steel putter shafts. From the Fuji one we have our evnroll testers use, Odyssey strokelab and now these as well as I am sure many others I definitely believe they make a huge difference and with the upgrade charge being so little it is a no brainer in my books. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Been using the 10.5S with the ALL-IN shaft on the practice green - the shaft thing is real. It definitely feels more stable compared to a standard steel shaft.  I just had it shortened to 33 inches (35 is too damn long for me) and will see how it stacks up this week. Cleveland has consistently offered a lot of putter tech for a really decent price, but the question remains how seriously do golfers take Cleveland as a putter company? I think it would be a mistake to discount it just because their putters aren't $400 and up. 

As the song says,-  stop, hey, what's that sound? - everybody look what's doing down. 

So true I play the HB SOFT 11s and absolutely love the feel and speed control across the face. I was actually thinking about getting a new shaft as I am intrigued by the BST shaft, bit now I can get a whole putter with that tech. Hmmm I might be able to sell off a couple things and make this cheaper.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Had a chance to see these and roll a few putts with them a couple weeks ago.   Unbelievelably great feeling and sounding.  And the price should get everone's attention for a milled putter.  But as Barbs says, it remains to be seen if the general off the street golf customer will ackowledge Cleveland as a putter company.   

For a company that basically set the standard for how good a wedge can be - and is really part of the DNA for most every wedge on the  market today... it is surprising they don't get more love.  I understand wedges aren't putters... but agree with your comments @GolfSpy Barbajo and @Golfspy_CG2 - these are definitely worth a hard look.  My only disappointment is they don't appear to have a true blade with a slant neck in their lineup.  But the 10.5S has my attention... as does the long neck 1.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

They do feel nice;  I gave them a try a few weeks back when they showed up at HQ.   The All-in shaft does feel nice and it is something that I would consider putting in one of my current putters.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

Does anyone know the torque of the All In Shaft? How would it compare in stability to the BGT?

Not much information has been published on the All-In shafts.   All the website says is low torque and it will probably be different depending on if you get the all graphite or the steel tipped version.  I also take reported torque values with a grain of salt since there isn't a standard way to measure the value.    While I have hit different BGT models and the All-In shaft I find it difficult to describe "stability".   What does stability mean?   From my recollection of feel; it has been a while since I hit a stability shaft, the All-in felt stiffer to me.   The feel should also be impacted by the headweight of the putter.    I'd really like to do a side by side comparison of these graphite shafts to see if there really is any impact to the balls roll especially on lighter weight putters.   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Not much information has been published on the All-In shafts.   All the website says is low torque and it will probably be different depending on if you get the all graphite or the steel tipped version.  I also take reported torque values with a grain of salt since there isn't a standard way to measure the value.    While I have hit different BGT models and the All-In shaft I find it difficult to describe "stability".   What does stability mean?   From my recollection of feel; it has been a while since I hit a stability shaft, the All-in felt stiffer to me.   The feel should also be impacted by the headweight of the putter.    I'd really like to do a side by side comparison of these graphite shafts to see if there really is any impact to the balls roll especially on lighter weight putters.   

I put the BGT Stability Tour in my Edel EAS 4.0 a couple of weeks ago and it made what for me is an excellent putter into an outstanding putter...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

13 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I put the BGT Stability Tour in my Edel EAS 4.0 a couple of weeks ago and it made what for me is an excellent putter into an outstanding putter...

My question would be how have you measured the improvement?   Just a feeling or do you have tangible numbers?

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

My question would be how have you measured the improvement?   Just a feeling or do you have tangible numbers?

I've always been a halfway decent putter.  That said, my average number of putts in 6 rounds since making the change have dropped a full 1.  I know, small sample size but it's all I have in the way of stats.  Too, I have to admit to really enjoying the lack of perceived vibration using the BGT shaft compared to any metal shafted putter (including the Edel) I've used over the years.

It's hard to put into words but the comparison I'd make is one of those instances where you're outside and you think it's quiet.  Suddenly all background noise from wind, birds, buzzing insects, etc. stops for a few seconds and the total silence calls attention to itself.  You'd thought it was quiet before but now it's REALLY quiet.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

42 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I've always been a halfway decent putter.  That said, my average number of putts in 6 rounds since making the change have dropped a full 1.  I know, small sample size but it's all I have in the way of stats.  Too, I have to admit to really enjoying the lack of perceived vibration using the BGT shaft compared to any metal shafted putter (including the Edel) I've used over the years.

It's hard to put into words but the comparison I'd make is one of those instances where you're outside and you think it's quiet.  Suddenly all background noise from wind, birds, buzzing insects, etc. stops for a few seconds and the total silence calls attention to itself.  You'd thought it was quiet before but now it's REALLY quiet.

That is measurable performance improvement; 1 stroke per round is significant.   

I know what you mean about them feeling different at impact,  but that doesn't always mean better.    People always describe these shafts as "stable" but honestly that is a meaningless term for me; I just don't feel shafts during the swing including putter shafts.   At least I can feel impact and where the ball strikes the face.    I want to put a graphite shaft in another one of my putters,  but I am too fickle and am not fully committed to any putter.   It is just too fun to change putters.  

• 4 months later...

Thinking about trying the 1, 4, or 8 of this line.  They look great and I love Cleveland wedges.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 11/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

How has the 10.5S been treating you? Did it make it in the bag for the season? I am really liking the head shape and curious how it has been over the last several months.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

22 hours ago, pozzit said:

How has the 10.5S been treating you? Did it make it in the bag for the season? I am really liking the head shape and curious how it has been over the last several months.

Stayed in the bag all winter and is still in now. I love the All-In shaft - it feels incredibly stable. I keep all my putters together in my office so they can see each other and they know which one gets to go to the course. I've found it's the best way to make sure they all behave. If whichever one that's in the bag gets too cocky or lazy, it needs to know there are two or three others ready and willing to take its spot in the bag. 

Jealousy among the putters is a strong motivator. 

Seriously though, that Cleveland is a hell of a good putter. Not going anywhere any time soon. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Stayed in the bag all winter and is still in now. I love the All-In shaft - it feels incredibly stable. I keep all my putters together in my office so they can see each other and they know which one gets to go to the course. I've found it's the best way to make sure they all behave. If whichever one that's in the bag gets too cocky or lazy, it needs to know there are two or three others ready and willing to take its spot in the bag. 

Jealousy among the putters is a strong motivator. 

Seriously though, that Cleveland is a hell of a good putter. Not going anywhere any time soon. 

Appreciate the insight.  Yea I don't just between putters very often but definely a place I need to improve.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• 4 months later...

I think I screwed up... Just bought the HB Soft Milled #1 with the standard steel shaft. Played with it for the first time this weekend and it was great. Consistent speed, feel, everything. I was talking to my Brother-in-law as we finished the round and the Pro mentioned he just got the same putter with the All-in shaft. I messed with it for about 47 seconds and knew that it was something really special. So I didn't spring for the All-in shaft... Did I make a huge mistake?

They never paid to see the Babe bunt!