Jump to content
Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

divot


DKirk

Recommended Posts

Why is a divot (in the fairway) not considered a fair relief by the embedded ball rule? Divots not in the fairway...I understand. But, particularly in tournament play.....when there are multiple players placing shots in a similar place....and the fact that the divot is below the surface of the fairway and in many cases filled with sand that the ball then sinks or "embeds" into. I really wish this rule could be addressed and allowed as relief....embedded ball rule...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DKirk said:

Why is a divot (in the fairway) not considered a fair relief by the embedded ball rule? Divots not in the fairway...I understand. But, particularly in tournament play.....when there are multiple players placing shots in a similar place....and the fact that the divot is below the surface of the fairway and in many cases filled with sand that the ball then sinks or "embeds" into. I really wish this rule could be addressed and allowed as relief....embedded ball rule...

First, welcome to MGS.  Second, I recommend you explore the use of the Search tool, there are lots and lots of threads about divot holes you could have added to.  Third, its simply not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... I think even the staunchest rule geek will admit being in a divot sucks, especially after a good shot ends up there. But golf was never intended to be fair and you have to take the good with the bad. The real problem is defining what is a divot and when is it fully repaired? I think the workaround that most Am mulligan users employ works fine. Just move it out of the divot. Personally I find great satisfaction out of hitting a good shot from a divot. Ymmv ... 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Sam (chisag); it requires extra concentration and more than a bit of skill to hit out of a divot, but I find it very satisfying to successfully hit a shot from one — just like I take great pride in hitting good shots out of fairway bunkers.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, DKirk said:

Why is a divot (in the fairway) not considered a fair relief by the embedded ball rule? Divots not in the fairway...I understand. But, particularly in tournament play.....when there are multiple players placing shots in a similar place....and the fact that the divot is below the surface of the fairway and in many cases filled with sand that the ball then sinks or "embeds" into. I really wish this rule could be addressed and allowed as relief....embedded ball rule...

It is not covered by the embedded ball rule because the divot was not your pitch mark and I would guess that the sand in the divot is not considered ground.

per rule 16.3:

Your ball is embedded only if it is in its own pitch-mark made as a result of your previous stroke and part of your ball is below the level of the ground.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I agree it does suck and isn't fun to play out of the divot that is golf and the rub of the green. For all the breaks I have got for and against  they all seem to even out in the end, so at least for me I will take my divot ball as well as that 10 plus foot putt for par make as a balance. 

For me we have way more issues with mud and just crummy conditioned fairways in low lying areas that cause more issues than divots. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

...that is golf and the rub of the green. For all the breaks I have got for and against  they all seem to even out in the end, so at least for me I will take my divot ball as well as that 10 plus foot putt for par make as a balance. 

 

... That's what we tell ourselves ain't? But do you really believe it? There are just so many more things that can go wrong that are beyond our control than things that go right. But as you said, rub of the green and that's golf! 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love finding my ball in a sand/seed filled divot.  That means a) I am hitting my ball far enough to be near other players' approach shots 🙃, and b) somebody besides me is actually caring for the course (of course... that lone sand filled divot I happen to find in the fairway may be from my shot the prior day.. so I'm happy to be keeping up distance with myself, and patting myself on the back for sanding it the day before...🤣 )

  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It is not covered by the embedded ball rule because the divot was not your pitch mark and I would guess that the sand in the divot is not considered ground.

per rule 16.3:

Your ball is embedded only if it is in its own pitch-mark made as a result of your previous stroke and part of your ball is below the level of the ground.

In my interpretation, its possible that a ball could embed in a sand-filled divot hole as a result of the player's previous stroke.  I'm picturing a ball coming down, and a little splash of sand as the ball hits and stops dead.  This must be EXTREMELY rare, and wouldn't come into play for a ball that merely rolls into that same sand-filled divot hole.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In my interpretation, its possible that a ball could embed in a sand-filled divot hole as a result of the player's previous stroke.  I'm picturing a ball coming down, and a little splash of sand as the ball hits and stops dead.  This must be EXTREMELY rare, and wouldn't come into play for a ball that merely rolls into that same sand-filled divot hole.

That would be difficult to determine, though I would guess a ball landing and imbedding in the divot would create a pretty significant crater around it for it to take all the force out of the falling ball so it stays there.  I'd like to see what that would look like 🙂 

  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In my interpretation, its possible that a ball could embed in a sand-filled divot hole as a result of the player's previous stroke.  I'm picturing a ball coming down, and a little splash of sand as the ball hits and stops dead.  This must be EXTREMELY rare, and wouldn't come into play for a ball that merely rolls into that same sand-filled divot hole.

Is the top of the sand now considered the level of the ground? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Is the top of the sand now considered the level of the ground? 

In the absence of grass, the original surface of the sand has to be the Level of the Ground.  I'd say that this is envisioned by the Rulemakers, because they've made an exception for a ball embedded in sand in a part of the General Area which is not mowed to fairway height or less, i.e. sandy waste areas.  For a ball embedded in sand where the area IS mowed to fairway height, embedded ball relief IS available.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In my interpretation, its possible that a ball could embed in a sand-filled divot hole as a result of the player's previous stroke.  I'm picturing a ball coming down, and a little splash of sand as the ball hits and stops dead.  This must be EXTREMELY rare, and wouldn't come into play for a ball that merely rolls into that same sand-filled divot hole.

Putting a loophole finding hat on. Does the ball have to be embedded in the first pitch mark it makes? Couldn't it bounce a few times, but land in sand in the general area and come to rest embedded below the level of the ground?

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Putting a loophole finding hat on. Does the ball have to be embedded in the first pitch mark it makes? Couldn't it bounce a few times, but land in sand in the general area and come to rest embedded below the level of the ground?

The Rules are improved because people explore loopholes.  The way to answer the question is to review the Definition of Embedded:

"When your ball is in its own pitch-mark made as a result of your previous stroke and where part of the ball is below the level of the ground. Your ball does not necessarily have to touch soil to be embedded (for example, grass and loose impediments may be between your ball and the soil)."

Pitch Mark isn't defined, but I don't see anything there that limits this to the first time a ball hits the ground.  And it's possible it could embed in soft or wet areas in the grass, its not a situation limited to sand-filled divot holes.  But in my experience, the first bounce is the only one that has enough force to cause a ball to embed.  So is it possible?  Yes.  Is it likely to embed deep enough to be noticeable?  No, in most cases.  But it CAN happen.  Remember the tournament where both Patrick Reed and Rory McElroy got Embedded Ball relief?  Both balls were later confirmed to have bounced.  Rory's had actually been stepped on by a volunteer, unknown to anyone at the time.  Reed's, however, was evaluated by a Rule Official and was determined to be embedded.  

I work as a volunteer Rules Official for Virginia State Golf Association and Middle Atlantic PGA events.  If I am asked to rule on whether a ball is embedded in a sand filled divot hole, and I'm aware that the ball has bounced at least once, its going to take some really clear evidence to convince me to allow Relief.  I'm not saying "never", but i AM saying its really unlikely.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, DKirk said:

Why is a divot (in the fairway) not considered a fair relief by the embedded ball rule? Divots not in the fairway...I understand. But, particularly in tournament play.....when there are multiple players placing shots in a similar place....and the fact that the divot is below the surface of the fairway and in many cases filled with sand that the ball then sinks or "embeds" into. I really wish this rule could be addressed and allowed as relief....embedded ball rule...

I agree. There is no good reason for the rule to be the way it is. Defenders of the rule say it is too hard to define what is a divot. My opinion is that a divot can be clearly defined. The other argument is that golf just isn't fair. I don't find that to be a good argument to include unfairness in the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An point of view I would have is in competition you play the ball as it lies. That is the rule and how golf is played. 

Casual rounds - if you want move it. Just like if I have a ball near rocks or a root I am not going to hit it. A casual round shot is not worth injury or damage to my golf clubs or worse. Just as in a casual round typically you are not playing for money so enjoy it. Golf  is a game that is meant to be enjoyed so if a ball in a divot is going to disrupt your day, move it out and carry on with your round. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Casual rounds - if you want move it. Just like if I have a ball near rocks or a root I am not going to hit it. A casual round shot is not worth injury or damage to my golf clubs or worse. Just as in a casual round typically you are not playing for money so enjoy it. Golf  is a game that is meant to be enjoyed so if a ball in a divot is going to disrupt your day, move it out and carry on with your round. 

 

... I think we all can admit golf is an unusual sport. All other sports I have played, you get away with what you can get away with. A QB doesn't tell the ref "he didn't hit my head and neck area, just my chest but it snapped my head so you can pick up that flag" ... "Ref! I did foul him on that attempted lay up"  ... and probably the best example "Ump, I had some stuff on the inside of my belt and touched it so I need to be ejected". Yet when we are all alone on one side of the fairway with a bush just barely in our way, we don't move the ball for a clean shot. If our ball is just OB and our pards can't see we don't push it in bounds with out club head. So when our ball is in a divot, it is just part of this unusual game and we basically call a penalty on ourselves and play it instead of moving it to a normal lie. 

... The rules can be peculiar but it is also one of the draws of the game. Golf is difficult and it isn't fair. Now that said, one of the real beauties of golf is you can adopt all, some or none of the rules in a casual round. One mulligan off the first tee or one a side. Roll the ball in the fairway. Drop with one or no penalty strokes from OB. Take another chip after not counting the one you bladed over the green or chunked 1 foot. And of course move it out of a divot. He!! I mentioned this before but I played with 2 insanely hot women in LA that teed up every shot, even in the sand and really enjoyed their round and I really enjoyed playing with them. 😇 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2022 at 12:12 PM, chisag said:

 

... I think we all can admit golf is an unusual sport. All other sports I have played, you get away with what you can get away with. A QB doesn't tell the ref "he didn't hit my head and neck area, just my chest but it snapped my head so you can pick up that flag" ... "Ref! I did foul him on that attempted lay up"  ... and probably the best example "Ump, I had some stuff on the inside of my belt and touched it so I need to be ejected". Yet when we are all alone on one side of the fairway with a bush just barely in our way, we don't move the ball for a clean shot. If our ball is just OB and our pards can't see we don't push it in bounds with out club head. So when our ball is in a divot, it is just part of this unusual game and we basically call a penalty on ourselves and play it instead of moving it to a normal lie. 

... The rules can be peculiar but it is also one of the draws of the game. Golf is difficult and it isn't fair. Now that said, one of the real beauties of golf is you can adopt all, some or none of the rules in a casual round. One mulligan off the first tee or one a side. Roll the ball in the fairway. Drop with one or no penalty strokes from OB. Take another chip after not counting the one you bladed over the green or chunked 1 foot. And of course move it out of a divot. He!! I mentioned this before but I played with 2 insanely hot women in LA that teed up every shot, even in the sand and really enjoyed their round and I really enjoyed playing with them. 😇 

True, and if you keep a handicap based on not taking all your penalties, you are just making it more difficult on yourself if you play a match following all the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LICC said:

True, and if you keep a handicap based on not taking all your penalties, you are just making it more difficult on yourself if you play a match following all the rules.

I knew a guy at a previous club that was very loose with the rules when playing golf -- dragging putts as gimmies, improving his lie, generous drops, etc.  He proudly boasted a 6 handicap.  Played his first (and only) club championship, where the rules of golf are required by everyone, regardless of how trivial one may find a particular rule.  His opening round was a 105.  He withdrew from play after that round and, to the best of my knowledge, never competed in tournament play again.  He went back to his loose and free ways with the rules.  The bad part was that he engaged in casual betting games (not with me, because I refused to play by his total disregard of even the basic rules) and others willingly allowed him to get away with it.  I know this sounds exaggerated, but I can assure you that it is not, in this guy's case.

 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LICC said:

True, and if you keep a handicap based on not taking all your penalties, you are just making it more difficult on yourself if you play a match following all the rules.

Absolutely, though I doubt there are too many players like this. Only 10% (approximately) of golfers in the US maintain a handicap to begin with so IMO it's perfectly acceptable for recreational players to play fast and loose with the rules if that's how they enjoy the game. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

knew a guy at a previous club that was very loose with the rules when playing golf -- dragging putts as gimmies

 

... I am reminded of Michael Jordan that plays for notoriously insane amounts of cash with friends. They were quite liberal with gimmies and Jordan played with an index near 0. Played in his first Am event and missed more than a few "gimmies" saying after the round they got in his head after he missed the first one because he never putts those when playing with friends. At least his comment was honest but guessing his index was a bit of a vanity cap. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... I am reminded of Michael Jordan that plays for notoriously insane amounts of cash with friends. They were quite liberal with gimmies and Jordan played with an index near 0. Played in his first Am event and missed more than a few "gimmies" saying after the round they got in his head after he missed the first one because he never putts those when playing with friends. At least his comment was honest but guessing his index was a bit of a vanity cap. 

This is why I like to putt out. It's not that I won't occasionally accept a gimmie or scoop a putt, but I prefer to finish most of the time. There's also a mental component to it that can't be underestimated. In my first "real" tournament I 5-putted the 2nd hole and went on to shoot an 82. Could have been a new personal best and would have put me in my goal division if I had been willing to accept that sometimes I am going to miss those gimmie putts. Instead, I got frustrated and kept swiping at the ball until I finally put it in the hole...

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... I am reminded of Michael Jordan that plays for notoriously insane amounts of cash with friends. They were quite liberal with gimmies and Jordan played with an index near 0. Played in his first Am event and missed more than a few "gimmies" saying after the round they got in his head after he missed the first one because he never putts those when playing with friends. At least his comment was honest but guessing his index was a bit of a vanity cap. 

You mean like former president Trump’s index?

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

You mean like former president Trump’s index?

 

... No. Jordan admitted his shortcomings and gimmies hurt his game. Multiple playing partners with Trump have stated he just outright cheats. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

This is why I like to putt out. It's not that I won't occasionally accept a gimmie or scoop a putt, but I prefer to finish most of the time. There's also a mental component to it that can't be underestimated. In my first "real" tournament I 5-putted the 2nd hole and went on to shoot an 82. Could have been a new personal best and would have put me in my goal division if I had been willing to accept that sometimes I am going to miss those gimmie putts. Instead, I got frustrated and kept swiping at the ball until I finally put it in the hole...

A few years back, my regular playing partner and I committed to always putting out when we played together.  Of course, when in a group where everyone is giving "in the leather" putts, we didn't punish ourselves.  But, because we generally putted everything, I became very good at short putts.  We did that for a few years (much to the displeasure of our friend who routinely wanted putts given (and then would miss them)).  Now, whether in a friendly small money game or tournament play, I stand over every putt without fear.  Yes, I still miss some short putts, but I never feel the pressure of that 2 foot knee knocker.  I just do my normal routine and hit the putt.  It either goes in or it doesn't.  More often than not, it goes in.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chisag said:

 

... No. Jordan admitted his shortcomings and gimmies hurt his game. Multiple playing partners with Trump have stated he just outright cheats. 

TRUTH!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chisag said:

 

... No. Jordan admitted his shortcomings and gimmies hurt his game. Multiple playing partners with Trump have stated he just outright cheats. 

Bill Clinton had the same issue with fudging his game.  If you're a high profile individual and you cheat, it doesn't go unnoticed!  On similar note, didn't Justin Thomas call out MJ as a cheat?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

You mean like former president Trump’s index?

Let's don't get political. I don't want to get banned for talking about our current President.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Let's don't get political. I don't want to get banned for talking about our current President.

I've heard little to nothing about the current President's golf game, unlike some of his predecessors.  But I do agree, going towards political stuff isn't going to be productive in any way.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

 B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...