TESTERS WANTED! ×

Did PXG raise the price of its Gen 5 driver?

G56788

Looks like they did.  With PXG it seems like you have to check the website daily 

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I think they ran a special on ton of their clubs for October or on release for a certain period of time. It was just that special deal for the time being and now it has gone to what its normal price is. I could be wrong, however that is what I recall. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think they ran a special on ton of their clubs for October or on release for a certain period of time. It was just that special deal for the time being and now it has gone to what its normal price is. I could be wrong, however that is what I recall. 

They ran some pretty ridiculous promotions last month ($87 for a fairway wood), which is refreshing considering the no discount/promotion policies a lot of the major OEMs have. For some reason $499 was stuck in my head for the original price of the driver, before the sales. I was just curious if they were taking things in an unexpected direction. They seem to do things their own way. 

I picked up a used Gen 5 0311 XF 9° driver that looked brand new off of PXG_Express on Ebay for $239 + tax and free shipping.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

• 2 weeks later...

If you are active duty military, retired military, L/E or First responder then you can sign up for the PXG Hero’s program and get huge savings on their clubs and other items. That is how I got my clubs through them after a fitting.

Play like a champion today!

On 11/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, Golfer56744 said:

PXG currently lists its Gen 5 drivers for $599. Am I going crazy or was the previous non-sale, regular price $499? They can do what they want, but I have just never seen a golf club company do that before. 

It’s $299 per their site right now. Who cares what the regular price is, they haven’t charged that since release.

On 11/14/2022 at 3:28 PM, cardia10 said:

I'm really finding them to be the Rock Bottom Golf of OEM's. They require a daily check and you will stumble on their best deal when you least expect it.

The advantage of being a dtc brand is they control everything and based on what the market is currently doing they can do sales to move inventory or cause other brands to change their pricing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s $299 per their site right now. Who cares what the regular price is, they haven’t charged that since release.

The advantage of being a dtc brand is they control everything and based on what the market is currently doing they can do sales to move inventory or cause other brands to change their pricing

It was just an observation. The major OEMs control their prices as well. They just don’t randomly raise the price on their current models. Price increases come with new models and whatever their marketing team decides is the technological breakthrough that unlocks more distance. 

1 hour ago, Golfer56744 said:

It was just an observation. The major OEMs control their prices as well. They just don’t randomly raise the price on their current models. Price increases come with new models and whatever their marketing team decides is the technological breakthrough that unlocks more distance. 

Apparently you missed Ping raising prices on a current release due to the higher costs of shipping and manufacturing.

There was another brand that did it too.

People keep forgetting that gas prices have gave up, freight coats have gone up, prices of the various materials have gone up, labor costs have gone up. Somebody has to eat those costs and it’s not going to be the company malign and selling products, it’s going to be the consumer.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Apparently you missed Ping raising prices on a current release due to the higher costs of shipping and manufacturing.

There was another brand that did it too.

People keep forgetting that gas prices have gave up, freight coats have gone up, prices of the various materials have gone up, labor costs have gone up. Somebody has to eat those costs and it’s not going to be the company malign and selling products, it’s going to be the consumer.

I did not see that Ping did that. What did they raise prices on? Who else did it?

2 minutes ago, Golfer56744 said:

I did not see that Ping did that. What did they raise prices on? Who else did it?

Ping tossed the prices on the g425 driver and woods last year. I don’t recall what other brand did it.

There was a $50 increase on the fairway woods and iirc it was the same for the drivers.

Most brands either had new releases coming out shortly after this or in early 2022 so their products has the normal increase with a new release where Ping did it mid release of an existing line.

With the current state of the economy it could easily happen again with any brand 

13 hours ago, Golfer56744 said:

I think my issue was PXG came out as ultra premium for a year to draw everyone's interest and while one company had a price increase on one line, PXG's ups and downs resemble a wave pool and they have now lost all perceived value to me. In my mind, I know they can always be had cheaper. Not sure if it is still the case, but I don't remember any company other than PXG charging $60 for shipping as well and not even offering KBS or DG shafts as stock. The $20-30 per grip upcharge is also rough. Seems like the luster has rubbed off and now they are trying to nickel and dime to keep the same margins. 

Their price fluctuations look like the price chart for any given commodity rather than a retailer trying to manage a brand.  Which, speaking only for myself, I find odd.

I keep hearing, sung to the tune of the Wayfair ads on television, "PXG...we've got just what you need!"

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

53 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I think my issue was PXG came out as ultra premium for a year to draw everyone's interest and while one company had a price increase on one line, PXG's ups and downs resemble a wave pool and they have now lost all perceived value to me. In my mind, I know they can always be had cheaper. Not sure if it is still the case, but I don't remember any company other than PXG charging $60 for shipping as well and not even offering KBS or DG shafts as stock. The $20-30 per grip upcharge is also rough. Seems like the luster has rubbed off and now they are trying to nickel and dime to keep the same margins. 

It appears you haven’t really listened to Bob parsons on the mgs podcasts or other interviews. First their initial high prices were more than a year long. They were that way for several years until they did the heroes program.

once they paid off their initial investment to start the company he lowered prices on the clubs to give back to the customers. They also then switched from being in green grass shops to being a dtc, that cuts out costs as well and now they control everything from start to finish including inventory management. Bob is a pretty good businessman too. He got brands to explore the high end market like Callaway with the epic irons that were roughly $2000 per set. 

Bob also wanted to expand so he created a lower end line with the 0211. He brought these in lower than all the other mainstream brands. This opens the doors to bring in customers looking for lower cost clubs.

Being that he is in control of all inventory he can carry previous year models and sell them for lower prices and let the people have options. 

the brand now has their high end premium line in the 0311, one to two previous year offerings at lower prices and then the 0211  for the consumer not looking to spend premium money, but still get quality clubs.  This has helped the brand have as much market share as cobra, Wilson and Mizuno.

Also allows him to do sales on the clubs for whatever time he chooses, the raise them back up to normal prices. The 0211 at were as low as $69/club and have ranged between that and $109 per club

What other company sends their clubs in a nice box with a clean presentation? None other than scotty Cameron for high end putters. 

16 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Their price fluctuations look like the price chart for any given commodity rather than a retailer trying to manage a brand.  Which, speaking only for myself, I find odd.

I keep hearing, sung to the tune of the Wayfair ads on television, "PXG...we've got just what you need!"

Read above. They have full control of all aspects and run sales all the time and usually far longer than most other brands. They are also on 1.5-2 year cycle for releases so sales help reduce inventory 

20 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It appears you haven’t really listened to Bob parsons on the mgs podcasts or other interviews. First their initial high prices were more than a year long. They were that way for several years until they did the heroes program.

once they paid off their initial investment to start the company he lowered prices on the clubs to give back to the customers. They also then switched from being in green grass shops to being a dtc, that cuts out costs as well and now they control everything from start to finish including inventory management. Bob is a pretty good businessman too. He got brands to explore the high end market like Callaway with the epic irons that were roughly $2000 per set. 

Bob also wanted to expand so he created a lower end line with the 0211. He brought these in lower than all the other mainstream brands. This opens the doors to bring in customers looking for lower cost clubs.

Being that he is in control of all inventory he can carry previous year models and sell them for lower prices and let the people have options. 

the brand now has their high end premium line in the 0311, one to two previous year offerings at lower prices and then the 0211  for the consumer not looking to spend premium money, but still get quality clubs.  This has helped the brand have as much market share as cobra, Wilson and Mizuno.

Also allows him to do sales on the clubs for whatever time he chooses, the raise them back up to normal prices. The 0211 at were as low as $69/club and have ranged between that and $109 per club

What other company sends their clubs in a nice box with a clean presentation? None other than scotty Cameron for high end putters. 

Read above. They have full control of all aspects and run sales all the time and usually far longer than most other brands. They are also on 1.5-2 year cycle for releases so sales help reduce inventory 

If i'm paying say $69 per iron, but upcharged $39 for what other companies give free, a DGS300 shaft, then $30 for a golf pride tour wrap grip (my numbers are exact as I have a window up  building the PXG set up now) then the PXG low end comes out to any other OEM's price. I'm still not sure how they justify $60 for shipping, although I guess that black box costs at least $1. Parson's has always been an over the top salesman and I love how he supports veterans, but I've hit the clubs and the value just does not stack up. The main difference is that he has the cash to pay for the hype on the front end where most DTC brands rely on testing and results to support their growth. PXG also does still sell through a few retail outlets although it isn't advertised much for some reason.

Edited by cardia10

52 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

If i'm paying say $69 per iron, but upcharged $39 for what other companies give free, a DGS300 shaft, then $30 for a golf pride tour wrap grip (my numbers are exact as I have a window up  building the PXG set up now) then the PXG low end comes out to any other OEM's price. I'm still not sure how they justify $60 for shipping, although I guess that black box costs at least $1. Parson's has always been an over the top salesman and I love how he supports veterans, but I've hit the clubs and the value just does not stack up. The main difference is that he has the cash to pay for the hype on the front end where most DTC brands rely on testing and results to support their growth. PXG also does still sell through a few retail outlets although it isn't advertised much for some reason.

Agreed. PXG has a bunch of hidden costs that cut into the “value” they say they are providing. According to the MGS reviews, Sub70 provides a nice box and a handwritten note thanking you for your purchase (see below, copied from https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/29-sub70-949x-fairway/)
image.png.07b9d7d16e3e1761e46d1090480c22cf.png

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

I was shocked at what some OEMs are charging for grips right now. If you consider they are buying in bulk, and less than what we can buy them for at retail, and charging 2-3 times retail it's a helluva profit center.

Branson-Prem.-Yakov-Smirnoff-4abbd7bd863f6b14b420d0ff64067927.jpg.16a6170d708807b191be314e0613dc48.jpg

Edited by Headhammer

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

It's called marketing.  They have been doing this since day one.  Keeps people trafficking their website and talking about the product. Even negative comments keep the conversation going.  Then they drop the price (currently $299 for their latest driver- $300 off retail price) and everyone wants one. 

PXG Gen 2  80211X driver w/AXE Mystic 5 shaft S Flex

Taylormade M1 3w w/AXE Superlite FW shaft, S Flex

Sonartec 3 and 4 Hybrids w/AXE Hybrid shafts, S flex

Maltby TS-1's, 5-GW w/AXE Rapid Taper Shafts, S flex soft stepped

Maltby DBM wedges, 60/56 w/AXE Clasic RT Spin Wedge shafts

2 minutes ago, PeteT said:

It's called marketing.  They have been doing this since day one.  Keeps people trafficking their website and talking about the product. Even negative comments keep the conversation going.  Then they drop the price (currently $299 for their latest driver- $300 off retail price) and everyone wants one. 

And the person who bought it a few weeks earlier at $599?  I know how it'd make ME feel, and it's not all warm and fuzzy...but again, that's just me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

19 minutes ago, PeteT said:

But what is the marketing message: am I paying $600 for a $300 driver or am I getting a $600 driver for $300? PXG probably wants us to think it’s the latter, but, based on the comments I see here, I cannot say that is the case. 

56 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

And the person who bought it a few weeks earlier at $599?  I know how it'd make ME feel, and it's not all warm and fuzzy...but again, that's just me.

That's true with everything though, isn't it?  Shopping and patience, or instant gratification. Your choice. 

37 minutes ago, Golfer56744 said:

But what is the marketing message: am I paying $600 for a $300 driver or am I getting a $600 driver for $300? PXG probably wants us to think it’s the latter, but, based on the comments I see here, I cannot say that is the case. 

That's up to you to decide. It's your money after all.  And we are all just random people making commentary based on what we think we know, so take the comments here with a grain of salt, or two.   

No offense, but this isn't anything new.  Every manufacturer does this. PXG just isn't locked into a time 'cycle' because they are DTC.  This frees them up to advertise lower prices whenever they want to, without worrying about distributors.  

4 minutes ago, PeteT said:

That's true with everything though, isn't it?  Shopping and patience, or instant gratification. Your choice. 

I'm reminded of how Sears used to do business.  They were on a cycle of sorts where about 1/8 of the store was 40-50% off every week for a week.  So in a two month period the whole store was offered at those wonderful prices.  We all remember Sears, don't we?

It's been posted that Mr. Parsons "manages his inventory".  A good business person does or they don't last long.  Part and parcel of managing inventory is ordering replacement stock with foresight.  If you do you don't have to put things on sale to use up excess inventory that's using up cash.  If you don't...

I learned never to pay  "full price" at Sears while they were in business.  We're learning that same thing from PXG in my view.  There's offering the occasional sale a la Titleist does with golf balls in the spring.  Then there's a more volatile method, which I've referred to as akin to the price movements in commodity products.  Commodity "profits" depend on volume.  PXG isn't set up for volume.  Make no mistake, I like a number of their products.  I just shudder when I look at a landscape littered with those who have come and gone in the golf business.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Love PXG.  Use their driver and putter.  High quality stuff even when discounted.  I have two wedges and two fwy woods that will be here Tuesdwy.  Being a Marine, I love the heroes program!

:cobra-small:  LTDx Drive

:cobra-small:  LTDx 3, 5 & 7 Fairway Metals

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

:PXG:0311 Wedges--56° & 60°

:PXG: Blade Putter

:maxfli: Tour Golf Ball

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

I was shocked at what some OEMs are charging for grips right now. If you consider they are buying in bulk, and less than what we can buy them for at retail, and charging 2-3 times retail it's a helluva profit center.

Branson-Prem.-Yakov-Smirnoff-4abbd7bd863f6b14b420d0ff64067927.jpg.16a6170d708807b191be314e0613dc48.jpg

Going to reply to each of you together on the same points.

the cost of the materials to make the grips is up. There has also been a huge supply chain issue with them leading to grips along with shafts being the leading cause of back orders. As for pxg they have their own grip sand want people to use that grip so just like with some shafts you charge a premium for the grips that aren’t yours to get people into the product you want them to be in. The cost of the golf pride grips is up overall so not surprise it costs more to sell them with clubs.

Shipping costs are up, at one point pxg lowered the cost of shipping to $19 iirc. But I would encourage you to go to the post office, ups or FedEx and try to ship clubs and see how much it costs. It’s is it going to be cheap.

People really need to start looking at and understanding business, costs and so on before talking about prices 

15 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I'm reminded of how Sears used to do business.  They were on a cycle of sorts where about 1/8 of the store was 40-50% off every week for a week.  So in a two month period the whole store was offered at those wonderful prices.  We all remember Sears, don't we?

It's been posted that Mr. Parsons "manages his inventory".  A good business person does or they don't last long.  Part and parcel of managing inventory is ordering replacement stock with foresight.  If you do you don't have to put things on sale to use up excess inventory that's using up cash.  If you don't...

I learned never to pay  "full price" at Sears while they were in business.  We're learning that same thing from PXG in my view.  There's offering the occasional sale a la Titleist does with golf balls in the spring.  Then there's a more volatile method, which I've referred to as akin to the price movements in commodity products.  Commodity "profits" depend on volume.  PXG isn't set up for volume.  Make no mistake, I like a number of their products.  I just shudder when I look at a landscape littered with those who have come and gone in the golf business.

I would agree with this.  The only caveat I would add is that they will do whatever they can to get their brand/products at the top of your list.   Most everyone, with few exceptions, is looking for the best deal, hence their sales and marketing tactics.   Very effective in my opinion, as there is a whole forum discussing it. 

1 hour ago, Golfer56744 said:

Agreed. PXG has a bunch of hidden costs that cut into the “value” they say they are providing. According to the MGS reviews, Sub70 provides a nice box and a handwritten note thanking you for your purchase (see below, copied from https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/29-sub70-949x-fairway/)
image.png.07b9d7d16e3e1761e46d1090480c22cf.png

As for the Sub70 box vs PXG there’s a big difference.

First the Sub70 box is just your standard club shipping box but with their color scheme and log on it, not really much different from the regular box that clubs come in with just the company’s logo on it.

The pxg box is larger for irons than the Sub70 one. I have received full iron sets from both brands. The pxg black box is shipped inside of another shipping box so it’s something that can be kept kinda of like a momento similar to the yellow scotty Cameron box.