TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tips to Keep Warm When Golfing

Winter is coming, I usually wear lots of layers to keep warm in winter like most of people. The problem is I feel really restricted when trying to make a swing and my ball striking is definitely not as consistent.

ocoopa1.jpg.71fca869df5b3a536dcb2d0467e7736a.jpg

In an effort to resolve this, I’ve experimented with different ways to keep warm. Here’s what I discovered works great for me (without restricting golf swing)

1. Attention about lower half clothing

A pair of base layer ‘skins’ (long johns for the older generation), followed by cotton trousers and waterproofs makes a big difference to heat retention – more so than the equivalent number of layers on your upper body. You don’t need the same feel and flexibility in your lower half so extra layers won’t restrict your swing, but they will keep you warm.

2. Thermal Socks

As the saying goes, Cold starts from the feet and illness comes from the mouth. Keeping your extremities warm seems to help keep the rest of your body warm too. I’ve found the best option is to wear a pair of good thermal socks over a thin pair of cotton socks (thermal socks are designed to be worn over another pair of socks to trap the heat between the layers).

3. Mits & Rechargeable Hand Warmers

There’s nothing worse than a mis-hit shot just because your frozen fingers. How about get yourself a pair of big golf mits and a rechargeable hand warmer. To be honest, the rechargeable hand warmer is really an excellent gear. It's the single best weapon against the cold! Many golfers are using Ocoopa Union 5S rechaegeable hand warmer to let them enjoy the uninterrupted warmth.

4. A warm Hat

Many people may never been one for headwear of any kind, but donning a hat this winter when golfing will make condition a difference. Because if you don’t do like this, you’re losing a lot of unnecessary heat!

All in all, It is really important to keep warm during outdoor sports in winter. Failure to keep warm will not only make people cold, but if the hands are not kept warm, it will affect the golf swing and the results of the game. What a disappointing experience it would be to make a mistake because of cold hands!

So have you learned all these tips about keeping warm? Let's keep warm and exercise in winter together!

1 hour ago, BruceTommy said:

Winter is coming, I usually wear lots of layers to keep warm in winter like most of people. The problem is I feel really restricted when trying to make a swing and my ball striking is definitely not as consistent.

ocoopa1.jpg.71fca869df5b3a536dcb2d0467e7736a.jpg

In an effort to resolve this, I’ve experimented with different ways to keep warm. Here’s what I discovered works great for me (without restricting golf swing)

1. Attention about lower half clothing

A pair of base layer ‘skins’ (long johns for the older generation), followed by cotton trousers and waterproofs makes a big difference to heat retention – more so than the equivalent number of layers on your upper body. You don’t need the same feel and flexibility in your lower half so extra layers won’t restrict your swing, but they will keep you warm.

2. Thermal Socks

As the saying goes, Cold starts from the feet and illness comes from the mouth. Keeping your extremities warm seems to help keep the rest of your body warm too. I’ve found the best option is to wear a pair of good thermal socks over a thin pair of cotton socks (thermal socks are designed to be worn over another pair of socks to trap the heat between the layers).

3. Mits & Rechargeable Hand Warmers

There’s nothing worse than a mis-hit shot just because your frozen fingers. How about get yourself a pair of big golf mits and a rechargeable hand warmer. To be honest, the rechargeable hand warmer is really an excellent gear. It's the single best weapon against the cold! Many golfers are using Ocoopa Union 5S rechaegeable hand warmer to let them enjoy the uninterrupted warmth.

4. A warm Hat

Many people may never been one for headwear of any kind, but donning a hat this winter when golfing will make condition a difference. Because if you don’t do like this, you’re losing a lot of unnecessary heat!

All in all, It is really important to keep warm during outdoor sports in winter. Failure to keep warm will not only make people cold, but if the hands are not kept warm, it will affect the golf swing and the results of the game. What a disappointing experience it would be to make a mistake because of cold hands!

So have you learned all these tips about keeping warm? Let's keep warm and exercise in winter together!

We hit cold weather a couple of weeks ago here in Toronto, especially early mornings.  I'm usually a bundle-up kind of guy but tried a different approach this year by using more, thinner layers.  For me if my core is warm, I am worm.  And luckily this approach achieved that and I retained almost all flexibility for actually swinging.  The thin, stingers still hurt though 😞  We are now shut down here as of this weekend, but I had my rechargeable hand warmer ready, but now I guess it will only be helpful during other outdoor snow maintenance events.

Strangest thing for me was the hat conundrum.  I think I was born, wearing a touque as winter headgear, but during the recent coldest round, I still wore my Puma summer bucket hat - thick enough, but also ventilated and treatable, and again it was surprisingly warm enough for 0.5 degrees Celsius (33 deg F).  Who knew - but I am quite sure it looked beyond silly...

Above all, great call out @BruceTommy - let embrace whatever we can when colder weather hits

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

I have found that winter clothing for running and cycling along with layers and good socks work much better than most golf specific winter clothes.  They seem to be thinner and provide more movement while still being lined.  Also, this hat just got delivered a couple days ago and we'll see how it works this weekend.

hybrid_navy_flap_708x708.jpg

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

@Peaksy68 for a hat comment...

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Great topic and one I must pay attention to as once temps dip below 74*F/23*C I am into extra layers on my legs to prevent cramping and nerve pain from an arthroscopic surgery that must have clipped nerves that never rewired themselves correctly.

789995446_11_12.202211thteeJohnOsberg_DH.SteveCoulter.NickMartonebefore.jpg.873fabd7bb799fff2c0dca2a54ee1c82.jpgThis was Saturday with tee time of 45*F/7*C and a stiff breeze for colder wind chill, second from left you can('t) see what my triple layers below belt, 4 layers above belt, gloves and fleece hat are like to combat that kind of cold.  Walking the 18 holes as temperature dipped to 34*F/1*C by the time we finished in near darkness kept us warm enough to not need more as far as warmers go but that was playing a round with lots of movement.  

I have not tried to golf with frozen water around but maybe that is something if I can find anywhere around that offers some kind of golf activity outdoors to do this winter.  As for now it is moving to indoor activities.

Good points in each numbered paragraph and good food for thought!

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

I played in 37*F last weekend but the sun was out so that made a HUGE difference. Add in clouds, wind and wet and all the sudden it gets much colder. I think I am at the point where as long as it is warmer than 40*F I am definitely golfing. Once you get to 36-35 degrees or colder you start to need winter gloves which I have (the Footjoy ones) but I don't really like the feel at all. My hack the same as mentioned above, long johns for top and bottom go a long way to keeping you warmer. Golf pants are typically quite thin and will get you cold really quickly. I also like a cashmere sweater as a layer over the long john as they are super warm while still being flexible. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I'll usually layer up with a base layer of thermals, jeans (a benefit of living in the Southeast and playing public courses), and a fleece jacket. I'll also usually wear a beanie because I keep my hair buzzed and also have a pair of the FJ gloves which do annoy me a bit and honestly, ain't that warm. 

I try to avoid days where the temp gets too far below 40, I feel like I would have to wear too much and restrict my mobility. 

My golf rule: I will play in cold, rain and wind. Just none at the same time.  I use a UA belt style hand warmer with an 18 hour heat pack. My next purchase is going to be an electric vest. 

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Layers and more layers for me. I don't mind playing when it is cold. Don't really like playing when it is wet. That being said when its cold I am just sure that I layer up appropriately so I can find that comfort zones for when I want to flexible enough and still warm enough. Oh and have a ton of coffee with me!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have found that one of the best things to be done in cold weather, that can reduce the number of layers required for comfort, is to walk if at all possible.  This helps keep the body temperature up.  I will also 2nd, cycling clothing.  I posted about winter biking pants.  Light but completely wind proof, and fleece lined.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I won’t play unless the high is in/near the 50’s and we start in at least the high 30’s. But if it’s also windy and/or raining I’m out.

I usually walk when it’s cold, keeps me warmer and my home course is (riding) cart path only most of the winter which is a PITA.

I just rely on layers on top to adjust during the round, usually a long sleeve polo, a fleece vest, and fleece or rain jacket if needed. I’ll put my rain pants over pants if needed. I’ll wear a knit cap if needed. I have winter golf gloves for hands. And if all else fails, I can just drop out after four or nine, but haven’t had to do that yet.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

It's sunny and 24º with the high expected to be 33º.  We are going to play!!  I'm trying out a new pair of water repellent flannel lined ski pants with 4 layers on top including a heated jacket that my wife got me for my birthday last May.  Should be... fun??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 11/11/2022 at 6:10 AM, BruceTommy said:

... Me too! I hate being restricted when swinging. When I lived in Chicago I didn't play when it was below 55*. I decided I wanted to be warmer on the course during winter and after evaluating my sweaters, jackets, pants and hats ... I moved to Phoenix. Problem solved. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Me too! I hate being restricted when swinging. When I lived in Chicago I didn't play when it was below 55*. I decided I wanted to be warmer on the course during winter and after evaluating my sweaters, jackets, pants and hats ... I moved to Phoenix. Problem solved. 🤪

Somehow, I just knew this would be your response. 😉

Not that I am in disagreement, it is a great idea, and one all should consider if possible.

Just that some of us may not have the opportunities to relocate to better climates due to other circumstances.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

Somehow, I just knew this would be your response. 😉

Not that I am in disagreement, it is a great idea, and one all should consider if possible.

Just that some of us may not have the opportunities to relocate to better climates due to other circumstances.

... And I feel your winter pain. I was not able to move for 42 years after my plan in 1978 was spend one year in Chicago then move back south to Atlanta. Switching from radio to acting, getting married and having 2 boys interfered with my plans. 

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It's sunny and 24º with the high expected to be 33º.  We are going to play!!  I'm trying out a new pair of water repellent flannel lined ski pants with 4 layers on top including a heated jacket that my wife got me for my birthday last May.  Should be... fun??

I'm with you there, Kenny!  Of course, I am originally from Western New York (Buffalo area until age 19, Rochester for more than 10 years from the time I got out of the Marine Corps in 1969 until I moved to NYC for a "better" job at the beginning of 1980).  I lived in New Jersey a couple of times in the early-mid '80s and have been in Bucks County, PA (25 miles north of Philadelphia and 10 miles west of Trenton, NJ) since 1986.  I play golf on a winter golf tour in NJ, and have done so for 5 years -- some of the guys have played on that tour for 25-35 years and one guy, age 94, has played on it for 52 of the 53 years that it has existed.  We play 22 events and a tour championship starting the last week of October, and usually ending with the tour championship the first or second week of April, with fields generally limited to between 108-120 golfers each week.  In the 52+ years of the tour (we are currently in year 53), there have only been about 10-12 events that had to be totally canceled, although many more have been postponed from a day to a week.  Oddly, the tour championship has been the most-frequently postponed event, and two of the last three years it has been postponed all the way from April to the week in October preceding the start of the following season.  We have played in some brutal conditions in my five years on the tour, the worst of which have included temperatures hovering near 0* F., with wind chills as low as -20* F.  This tour includes an "open" division, with close to 40 club pros and several scratch amateurs, an "amateur gross/net" division with slightly higher-handicap golfers (most guys in this division have GHIN handicaps between 2 and 12), and a "senior" division for golfers age 60+ (some of the age 60+ golfers still play in the "open" division, and a few also play in the amateur (non-senior) division. The strange thing is that EVERYONE (yes, even the 94 year old guy) play from the same tees (usually a mix of whites and blues), giving an 18-hole  playing length of 6,350 - 6,500 yards. Also, everyone is subjected to playing courses that are set up for the pros, with difficult pin positions and too many forced carries of 175-200 yards. I feel for the 94 year old, as well as some of the younger seniors who cannot hit their drivers more than 150-165 yards.

Since you play in cold weather, you know what kind of effects that bundling up and playing in freezing temperatures have on your swing and the distance that you get playing in those conditions. I hit driver more than 235 yards (carry distance), and often as much as 265 yards (total distance) in warmer weather, but I am happy with a 210-215 yard drive in winter conditions, and often do not get more than 200 yards, roll-out included. Likewise, my warm weather club of choice from 150 yards is generally a 7-iron or even an 8-iron, but in the winter, I may be hitting a 5-iron or a 4-hybrid from these distances.  And there's no such thing for me as a 115-120 yard pitching wedge in the cold unless I have skulled it!

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I bought these pants on Amazon as an option for cold weather...

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Ventures-Waterproof-Windproof-Expandable-Waist/dp/B081N86RT9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

For $50 they are pretty good; haven't needed the waterproof part yet, but they did OK today.  I bought my regular pant size, and they fit like they should.  If you want to wear a base layer underneath, I suggest going up a size.  I don't think they would work as a rain pant to put on over pants; they don't have zippers on the legs.  I like that they have belt loops.  The company also has the pullover rain pants with zipper legs for $35; I bought those as well to store in my car just in case it's windy or wet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 hours ago, chisag said:

I’m a Chicago refugee as well, 26 winters there (plus 10 near Columbus OH and 4 in W Lafayette IN) was all I could stand. Now I play golf year round…

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

So how cold is too cold for many to play?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I answered earlier, but it has to be nearly 40ºF when I start, and close to 50ºF or more during the round for me to play usually. But add high winds and it would have to be warmer. And if it rains I won't play no matter what temp. e.g. I am playing tomorrow and the forecast is 39ºF when we tee off with a high of 52ºF, light winds no rain.

My home course does "frost delays" if temps are anywhere near freezing - I notice some above played in lower temps, not an option where I am.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

... Should be wildly different depending on location. I won't play below 60* unless it is sunny with no wind then mid 50's. Since it is pretty rare to get into the 50's during the day here, when it does dip it rarely lasts more than 1 or 2 days so I can just catch up on other stuff. That said I will also play when it is 🥵  and 114* is my limit as anything above is actually a little dangerous. I don't mind the heat but hate the cold. 

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

With strong winds (like today), 35* is plenty cold, but I will play when it is 20 to 25* F with moderate winds, and there is virtually no low temperature limit if it is sunny or partly sunny with virtually no wind.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

If it's sunny and no wind I can do a little bit below 40 as long as there's a promise to get to the mid 40s. Wind is a deal breaker.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

On 11/11/2022 at 10:12 AM, golferguy2727 said:

We hit cold weather a couple of weeks ago here in Toronto, especially early mornings.  I'm usually a bundle-up kind of guy but tried a different approach this year by using more, thinner layers.  For me if my core is warm, I am worm.  And luckily this approach achieved that and I retained almost all flexibility for actually swinging.  The thin, stingers still hurt though 😞  We are now shut down here as of this weekend, but I had my rechargeable hand warmer ready, but now I guess it will only be helpful during other outdoor snow maintenance events.

Strangest thing for me was the hat conundrum.  I think I was born, wearing a touque as winter headgear, but during the recent coldest round, I still wore my Puma summer bucket hat - thick enough, but also ventilated and treatable, and again it was surprisingly warm enough for 0.5 degrees Celsius (33 deg F).  Who knew - but I am quite sure it looked beyond silly...

Above all, great call out @BruceTommy - let embrace whatever we can when colder weather hits

Which brand of hand warmer do you use? Ocoopa? I remember that its hand warmers were all rechargeable.

8 hours ago, BruceTommy said:

Which brand of hand warmer do you use? Ocoopa? I remember that its hand warmers were all rechargeable.

I don't recall - my son took it to Uni with him for outdoor workouts - I will get him to send me a picture.

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear. I usually wear a merino wool base layer (Smartwool makes them in different thicknesses for different temperatures, last year I found a 40% coupon around Black Friday), then a fleece layer, and a windproof shell of some sort. As long as a I walk and keep moving, I’ve never had a problem staying warm in low 30s temps. 

When the temperature is slightly lower, some professional players will wear gloves on their hands to keep warm. So, is it so important to keep your hands warm? The answer is yes. On days when professional golfers play outside, they usually keep a small rechargeable hand warmer in each of the two pockets of their pants. Not only does the rechargeable hand warmer keep their hands warm for a better grip, but it also keeps the ball warm in your pocket, since a warm ball will travel farther than a cold one.

For golfers, no matter whether spring, summer, autumn, and winter, hot and severe winter, windy or rainy, sometimes impulsively, they can’t help but invite friends to play a round of golf. In fact, winter golf is popular in many countries. They also play snow golf when it snows heavily. In Scotland, the birthplace of golf, people play golf while drinking whiskey in the cold winter against the cold sea breeze. In China, many people choose golf for winter outdoor sports. They believe that playing golf in winter can hone their strong personal will. In recent years, many northern courses have also canceled their winter closures, allowing golf lovers to play in good weather.

Although winter golf has many benefits, it is an outdoor sport after all. If you go out blindly, it may cause various "accidental" damages, such as easy body strain without sufficient warm-up; It is easy to catch a cold if you add clothes regularly; the field is hard, and the club is easily damaged in cold weather, etc. Therefore, comprehensive preparation before playing is absolutely necessary.

One of the most important preparations is to keep your body warm and keep your hands warm. If your hands are frozen, it will greatly affect your feel and swing. The best way is to find a pair of golf gloves suitable for winter wear. You can also soak your hands in slightly hot water for 3 minutes before leaving the field, which can promote blood circulation and allow blood to flow to all parts of the fingers.

Golfers have found that the best way to keep their hands warm is with rechargeable hand warmers. Because rechargeable hand warmers have these benefits:

1. Most obviously, it can warm your hands and prevent your hands from being frozen, which will affect your swing and affect your performance. You don't want to be unable to swing a good shot because your hands are frozen! Like Ocoopa Union 5S rechargeable hand warmer, can heat for 15 hours constantly, ensuring your hands are warm for a whole day!

2. Secondly, you can put it in your pocket when you don't use it, and then it can warm your body. When your body is warm, the hands will not get cold so easily, which is a virtuous circle.

3. Last but not least, when your mobile phone is out of power, it can also be used as a power bank to reduce the weight of your luggage, and you don't need to carry an extra power bank.

Don't forget to bring a rechargeable hand warmer when you are going to play golf in the cold winter! Hope you have some nice swings!

ocoopa.png

Adhere to fitness to strengthen muscles, good at combining powerlifting with theory

2 hours ago, KaydenTheodore said:

but it also keeps the ball warm in your pocket, since a warm ball will travel farther than a cold one.

Be careful if you are ever doing this during league play or tournament, it’s against the rules to warm a golf ball:

Rule 4.2a(2) Deliberately Altered Ball Must Not Be Played. A player must not make a stroke at a ball whose performance characteristics have been deliberately altered, such as by scuffing or heating the ball or by applying any substance (other than in cleaning it).

I like to use a big puffy jacket that has a battery heater I just take off between shots, for what it’s worth. Less layers, easier to swing freely even when it gets down in the low 30s F for me. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

18 minutes ago, AndySP said:

Be careful if you are ever doing this during league play or tournament, it’s against the rules to warm a golf ball

To be clear, it's a violation to play a ball whose performance characteristics have been DELIBERATELY altered.  This rule goes to the intention of the player.  If he has the warmers in his pockets to stay warm, and keeps a spare ball there for convenience, no violation.  Like many rules, this one depends on the integrity of the player. 

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I live in the Denver, Colorado area - I've managed to play golf at least once, every month of the year, for the past 17+ years.  Granted, February is typically the hardest month of the year, and I've had to drive as far as 2 hours away (to Pueblo, Florence on Canon City, Colorado) to get in my round that month.  My general rule is if the high is going to be 40* or warmer, and there's not a lot of wind - then I'm a player!

Having said that - as you can imagine, I play in the cold.  For me, I start with a dark t-shirt, then a quarter-zip pull-over and if necessary, add an insulated windbreaker type jacket.  That combination leaves me with enough flexibility that it doesn't really affect my shots.  Almost always, I try to keep darker pants on, as you know - it also helps with warming from the sun.  I wear two golf gloves, not typically the 'winter gloves', but a normal golf glove on the left hand and a synthetic leather glove on the right hand.  The big key is...a good hat.  I have a knit-style hat I keep in my bag, that I can either wear alone, or if I want to keep a golf hat on, it's large enough to put the knit hat on over top of it, mostly to keep my ears warm.  I've tried the ear-muffs, but they almost always end up making my ears sore, from pressing against my sunglasses.

I've tried the disposable hand-warmers in the past, but haven't really been good about using them.  I haven't really thought about reusable hand-warmers, after reading these posts, I'm going to take a look and may add it to my 'stocking stuffer' list!!

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png