Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tips for the Best Winter Golf Experience

BruceTommy

I used to feel sad when the colder temperatures in winter, because I can't do more exercise in cold weather. Then, I heard that many golfers still play golf every week in winter. What I have learned over the years is that there are ways to stay warm when exercising outdoors in winter.

The most important tip is being prepared and knowing what to expect. For years, I was a golfer who only play in nice weather. As I have become more passionate about golf, I have learned to adapt the changes of season. Like some people saying, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!

Below are the 5 essential tips on how to play golf when the temperatures start to drop to make sure continue to enjoy the amazing game.

ocoopa1.jpg.9ed28a641aa2dda1a6ba516e4377302c.jpg

1. Layer Up With Winter Golf Apparel

As the weather getting colder, layering up is key to being prepared.

Upper Body

Having multiple layers of clothing allows you to adjust your comfort level depending on how cold it is. Sometimes the morning is cold and a couple of hours in, the day gets warmer.  Being able to take off a layer is important.

You'd better to wear a long sleeve base layer that is wicking or performance material. Then wear a lightweight vest. And depending on how cold it is, you can also layer on an additional light fleece jacket on top and/or a lightweight warm jacket in even colder temps. Lightweight is important as it keeps the bulk or puffiness to a minimum, which is important in swinging the golf club.

Lower Body

Wearing the right pair of golf pants will help keep your bottom half comfortable. When it gets colder, you can switch to fleece lined winter pants , which keeps lower half nice and warm.

2. Keep Your Hands, Feet, Head and Ears Warm

What I have experienced playing golf in the cold weather is that my hands and feet are easier to get cold.  If you are walking, the exercise will most certainly help, but the worst situation is your hands are too cold to grip the golf club.

These winter golf gloves specifically made for playing golf have been great for me.  Also, I highly recommend bringing a rechargeable hand warmer, which can be stored easily in your golf bag when you need them. The rechargeable hand warmer I used for a long time called Ocoopa Union 5S rechargeable hand warmer which can heat for 15 hours constantly. Here is what really can help you on the colder days when the fingers start to get too cold.

Wearing a winter hat, well that is a must for everyone. Heat can be lost through your head if it is unprotected.

All in all, keeping these extremities warm is very important to your winter golf enjoyment.

3. Be sure to stretch

Because of the colder air, your body won’t be as flexible and the bulkiness of having extra layers may not allow you flexible. So, be sure to stretch and warm up before you head out.

Golf is all about being loose and free, but winter golf can cause your body and muscles to tighten up. Exercises to help you loosen up will help your golf game and may even help prevent any cold-related injuries.

4. Bring a nice hot drink in a warm water bottle

Having a nice warm beverage to drink can help warm your body in the freezing cold. There are many heated water bottles that keep a beverage warm for over 8 hours.

5. Lower your expectations and just have fun

The cold air affects the distance the ball will travel and the golf ball will not go as far as it would in the warmer weather. Place and lift the ball as needed, and don’t worry about your score. Most importantly, have fun!

Preparation is key in playing golf in the winter season. Follow the great tips and strategies on how to play golf in the winter. Hope it is helpful for you!

ocoopa2.jpg.583f927e87b55c98270f34f76cd18553.jpg

For several years I have played what we call Eskimo golf during the winter, but not when there is snow on the ground.  Many people think our group is crazy to play during cold weather.  I tell people who question my sanity that playing in the cold beats not playing.  We layer up and walk with our push carts to help stay warm.  My only hole-in-one came on a chilly morning during November 2015.  

IMG_1396[1].JPG

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

0F3DEFD7-8DFF-4872-B4EB-67646F54ADF4.jpeg.33ce966c6ac655f21c4317620d8b86ef.jpegI agree that winter golf has its obstacles. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 hours ago, BruceTommy said:

I used to feel sad when the colder temperatures in winter, because I can't do more exercise in cold weather. Then, I heard that many golfers still play golf every week in winter. What I have learned over the years is that there are ways to stay warm when exercising outdoors in winter.

The most important tip is being prepared and knowing what to expect. For years, I was a golfer who only play in nice weather. As I have become more passionate about golf, I have learned to adapt the changes of season. Like some people saying, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!

Below are the 5 essential tips on how to play golf when the temperatures start to drop to make sure continue to enjoy the amazing game.

Upper Body

Having multiple layers of clothing allows you to adjust your comfort level depending on how cold it is. Sometimes the morning is cold and a couple of hours in, the day gets warmer.  Being able to take off a layer is important.

You'd better to wear a long sleeve base layer that is wicking or performance material. Then wear a lightweight vest. And depending on how cold it is, you can also layer on an additional light fleece jacket on top and/or a lightweight warm jacket in even colder temps. Lightweight is important as it keeps the bulk or puffiness to a minimum, which is important in swinging the golf club.

Lower Body

Wearing the right pair of golf pants will help keep your bottom half comfortable. When it gets colder, you can switch to fleece lined winter pants , which keeps lower half nice and warm.

What I have experienced playing golf in the cold weather is that my hands and feet are easier to get cold.  If you are walking, the exercise will most certainly help, but the worst situation is your hands are too cold to grip the golf club.

These winter golf gloves specifically made for playing golf have been great for me.  Also, I highly recommend bringing a rechargeable hand warmer, which can be stored easily in your golf bag when you need them. The rechargeable hand warmer I used for a long time called Ocoopa Union 5S rechargeable hand warmer which can heat for 15 hours constantly. Here is what really can help you on the colder days when the fingers start to get too cold.

Wearing a winter hat, well that is a must for everyone. Heat can be lost through your head if it is unprotected.

All in all, keeping these extremities warm is very important to your winter golf enjoyment.

3. Be sure to stretch

Because of the colder air, your body won’t be as flexible and the bulkiness of having extra layers may not allow you flexible. So, be sure to stretch and warm up before you head out.

Golf is all about being loose and free, but winter golf can cause your body and muscles to tighten up. Exercises to help you loosen up will help your golf game and may even help prevent any cold-related injuries.

Having a nice warm beverage to drink can help warm your body in the freezing cold. There are many heated water bottles that keep a beverage warm for over 8 hours.

The cold air affects the distance the ball will travel and the golf ball will not go as far as it would in the warmer weather. Place and lift the ball as needed, and don’t worry about your score. Most importantly, have fun!

Preparation is key in playing golf in the winter season. Follow the great tips and strategies on how to play golf in the winter. Hope it is helpful for you!

All good tips!  I stay warm when I walk with my pushcart that has Ultimittens attached to the handle.  However, if I'm playing with my wife, we put a cart cover over the rental cart and put a propane heater inside.  😉

On my old course in December 2015; probably the last time I played there (joined my new club for 2016)...

Dec2015golf.jpeg.bcb01d102742306cbbcb5a5e5a142fb3.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My suggestion was to go to New Zealand or Australia where it is summer again 😉

Have played in some cold conditions before, but never snow! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

DFCF370B-D83A-408B-91D1-13E72763D922.jpeg.efc465920e04d90b92eb54a45a9a2e42.jpeg 
A rechargeable handwarmer that belts around your waist - you rotate it around when hitting your shot - is very nice. And UnderArmour compression tops and bottoms are a must.  No bulk, but it will help you stay warm. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 8:33 AM, BruceTommy said:

Upper Body

Lower Body

3. Be sure to stretch

Is the rechargeable hand warmer you mentioned really works?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, Kenny B said:

All good tips!  I stay warm when I walk with my pushcart that has Ultimittens attached to the handle.  However, if I'm playing with my wife, we put a cart cover over the rental cart and put a propane heater inside.  😉

On my old course in December 2015; probably the last time I played there (joined my new club for 2016)...

Dec2015golf.jpeg.bcb01d102742306cbbcb5a5e5a142fb3.jpeg

handsome bro!

Thanks for tips.  I live along the coast of S Carolina.  Fortunately, our winters are not as bad as what I am seeing on here.  I do layer up my FJ apparel, throw on a knit cap, wear a dickie (for you old timers who know what that is, for those who do not, it is a neck warmer), wear my FJ warm waterproof golf boots, and wear my Titleist cart mitts when not hitting the ball.  Our temps can be in the 30's and 40's when we tee off in the mornings but the wind that comes in off the ocean can really make it rough, meaning a rain/wind suite is necessary.  Between my Zero Restriction and FootJoy Outerwear I can stay rather comfy on those cold windy days. If there is ice on the course they close it, period.  They do not want to burn the greens.  We can handle the cold, but throw in the wind.  Pretty tough on these old bones.  Off the tee, tee is low and let her go, not a full speed is best.  Works for me.  Stay warm y'all.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

The cold wave has come! Across large swaths of the mainland, hordes of us are dealing with dreary weather and subpar course conditions. Not that we’re complaining. Winter golf is still golf, which means it can be great. It just requires a bit of savvy and some thoughtful preparation. Here are some keys to playing in cold weather with ice and snow.

Just walk, don’t ride

If you really want to feel the wind-chill factor, hop onto a golf cart and whip around the course. If, on the other hand, you’d rather play golf without contracting frostbite, it would be better to walk to the site rather than ride to it. Walking keeps the movement going and the blood flowing, your body warmed by the beating of your heart.

Layer up

Don’t make it like a mummy or the Michelin Man. But do try to think in terms of light, warm layers, and clothes that keep the chill off without restricting your silky swing. Thermal underwear is wise, or sweater vests and long-sleeve shirts.

Rain gloves and hand warmers

Of all the parts of your body you’ll want to keep warm, your hands are probably the most important. Lose the feeling in them, and you’ll never find your swing. Once you feel your hands are getting cold, warm your hands with Ocoopa rechargeable hand warmers. After turning on the Ocoopa Union 5S rechargeable hand warmer, it can heat up quickly to ensure that your hands are warmed in the shortest time, and it can also last for 15 hours, bringing you uninterrupted warmth. It’s really essential to keep your hands warm when you are playing winter golf, Don’t forget the important tip bro!

Waterproof shoes, moisture-wicking socks

Just because the ground is frozen when you step to the first tee doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way throughout the day. Before long, the turf you trodding on will be cold and soggy, which is not a combination you want for your feet. Take waterproof shoes and moisture-wicking socks, they will help you a lot!

A proper hat

Remember how your parents used to tell you that half your body heat is lost through your head? Apparently, that’s bunk, at least according to a study by the British Medical Journal, which found that the heat-loss number is more like 7 to 10 percent. Ditch the standard golf hat and wear a woolen beanie. It’s a smarter choice 100 percent.

Post your score, or don’t

If you’re playing in sloppy winter conditions, you might shoot a poor score that is not a fair reflection of your skill. We understand that reasoning. But we also recognize that this is winter, and we don’t want to be killjoys. If you play a round and really want to post your score, you could get around the blackout by backdating the day played.

Winter is a great time to upgrade your set. Selectively purchase the above warm items that are helpful for winter golf, hope you have a pleasant golf game!

ocoopa3.png.afea9e83bb03e5660b0ed1bab72ea219.png