TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping or mizuno irons

Jjones899

I currently have a set on mizuno mx-19 irons but I am half tenpted to change. My club pro has a set of ping g15 irons with new grips. They feel "lighter" but is that better? Any experience with either of these irons. I know the mizuno irons are old but do I get them re-gripped and keep practicing and upgrade when im better to a newer set?

40 minutes ago, Jjones899 said:

I currently have a set on mizuno mx-19 irons but I am half tenpted to change. My club pro has a set of ping g15 irons with new grips. They feel "lighter" but is that better? Any experience with either of these irons. I know the mizuno irons are old but do I get them re-gripped and keep practicing and upgrade when im better to a newer set?

It it was me I'd take a couple of the Mizuno irons I know I hit well, take the corresponding irons from the Ping set and hit both, alternating, for a true side by side comparison.  Take a piece of paper and make some notes on ball flight, how they "feel", distances, etc.  Given that it's your club pro he should be very willing to let you do that.  Have fun!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

1 hour ago, Bobbers said:

It it was me I'd take a couple of the Mizuno irons I know I hit well, take the corresponding irons from the Ping set and hit both, alternating, for a true side by side comparison.  Take a piece of paper and make some notes on ball flight, how they "feel", distances, etc.  Given that it's your club pro he should be very willing to let you do that.  Have fun!

Good advice IMO. You can’t go wrong with Mizuno, Ping or Titleist irons if they suit you…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Had the G15. Currently have JPX921 HMP that got fit for. The extra offset of the G15 is great if you miss right a lot, but I found I had to hold off release to avoid big left misses so ended up right miss as well. YMMV

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you’ve decided on this yet or if you are deciding while you wait for season, but..  It's possible that the shafts on the pro's Ping irons are lighter, which could explain why they feel "lighter" in your hand. As a Mizuno guy, I personally prefer the feel and performance of Mizuno irons, but everyone's preferences are different. If you're considering switching to a new set of irons, it could be worth comparing the Mizuno MX-19 irons to the Ping G15 irons, possibly with the help of your club pro, to see which set feels better to you. As for upgrading to a newer set, it depends on your skill level and what you're looking for in a set of irons. If you're happy with your current set and feel like you can continue to improve with them, then it may be worth keeping them and getting new grips. If you're looking for a significant upgrade in performance, then upgrading to a newer set may be worth considering. If you're not sure, it's always best to consult with your club pro, who can give you a more detailed and accurate advice.

PXG 0211

Mizuno JPX 923

Mizuno M Craft V

So, what are you looking for in an iron?  If it's just weight, you can change shafts and grips to achieve that.  I tested the Ping G410 iron a few years ago for MGS and they were very forgiving and felt decent.  I compared them to my Mizuno JPX 900 forged irons (which I loved), and they were not too bad.  I have to say the feel of the Mizuno was much softer and the head profile is smaller.  The Ping offered better off center performance and a larger overall footprint.  If you are looking at getting something a few years older to save money I would say look at these two.  If I had to choose, I prefer the Mizuno's feel, if I was a higher handicap golfer, I would say Ping.  You may want to look at the Mizuno JPX Hotmetals too.  Hit as many as you can and go from there.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"