Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Lostgolfballs.com - "Mint" Condition Ain't What It Used to Be

MikeB82

I usually play new balls, but during the leaf season here in NC balls can be easily lost. In the past, I have had good luck with balls from lostgolfballs.com. There was an occasional dud ball, but not very many. Apparently, the lostgolfballs.com grading quality standards have changed. I just received 2 dozen "Mint" Bridgestone Tour BRXS balls. Out of the 24 balls, 7 of them had huge sharpie or magic marker "player markings" on them. I don't mind a small mark on some balls, but these looked like crap. Other than the huge markings, these balls were in good shape, but still not Mint. I complained to lostgolfballs.com and was told that their description of "Mint" allows for "player markings." Apparently the size of the markings is no longer considered. Balls with huge, unsightly markings can still be graded "Mint." Would you play a ball on which someone had drawn huge red hearts with a Sharpie, or a ball with giant green Ms on it? These went straight to the shag bag. This is too bad, as lostgolfballs.com used to be a solid company that listened to their customers. No more used balls for me. I'll just play cheaper new balls during the leaf season.

58 minutes ago, MikeB82 said:

I usually play new balls, but during the leaf season here in NC balls can be easily lost. In the past, I have had good luck with balls from lostgolfballs.com. There was an occasional dud ball, but not very many. Apparently, the lostgolfballs.com grading quality standards have changed. I just received 2 dozen "Mint" Bridgestone Tour BRXS balls. Out of the 24 balls, 7 of them had huge sharpie or magic marker "player markings" on them. I don't mind a small mark on some balls, but these looked like crap. Other than the huge markings, these balls were in good shape, but still not Mint. I complained to lostgolfballs.com and was told that their description of "Mint" allows for "player markings." Apparently the size of the markings is no longer considered. Balls with huge, unsightly markings can still be graded "Mint." Would you play a ball on which someone had drawn huge red hearts with a Sharpie, or a ball with giant green Ms on it? These went straight to the shag bag. This is too bad, as lostgolfballs.com used to be a solid company that listened to their customers. No more used balls for me. I'll just play cheaper new balls during the leaf season.

Yeah, there does come a point where the markings start to be a distraction.  I, personally, wouldn't be happy with 7/24 being in that condition.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

MGS blog has done a few articles on used or referb golf balls and why it's often better to buy new. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

With some many DTC companies offering deep discounts on tour quality balls (i.e. Vice) it doesn't make sense to buy used 'mint' condition balls. DIsclaimer: I use to buy 5A Prov V's all the time from Lostgolfballs.com but switched a couple of years ago to DTC. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If a Sharpie was used to make those markings, soaking in and/or scrubbing with some rubbing alcohol can probably remove most of them. Shouldn't harm the covers.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

I've been using LostGolfBalls.com for a couple of years and I did notice player markings on a couple of balls that I've received.  I really didn't think anything about it.  I knew I was buying a used ball and that some people mark balls up rather oddly.  I did take one ball that was heavily marked and took a good draftsman-quality Helix pencil eraser to it and the markings vanished.   Rubbing the ball in that way did not damage the surface of the ball or its playability, in fact I used it about a week later to shoot my low round of the year.  

My real problem with using LostGolfBalls.com has become price.  I realize that my game ball is rare, yellow ProV1 2021 model.  But even when applying the present 15% discount my ball is $45 with tax and shipping.  I can go to Golf Galaxy and buy a brand-new dozen for $50.  

That is one of the reasons that I've switched to a Maxfli Tour for off season golf.    It doesn't hurt the wallet as much to drive one into a pile of leaves that Mother Nature has blown in the way.  

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I've had good luck this year (2022) with golfballsdirect.com.  When looking for a supplier I read several complaints about the decline in quality at lostgolfballs and decided to give someone else a try.  All of the balls I received out 7 dozen really were mint except one that had two dimples colored with sharpie.  Between me and my wife we bought Titleist ProV1, ProV1x, TruFeel and Srixon Soft Feel.  Shipping is $9.99 flat rate or free if you spend $90 or more.  The last batch was the beginning of October and they were all good.  I buy the yellow ones so I don't have any personal feedback on whether the gloss white are up to the same standard if that is what you use.  Could be worth a shot if you want to stick with used market.  We used to use Snell but it has been hard to get the yellow ones so I switched to MaxFli Tours since I could get them locally.  The mint used ProV1s cost about the same as the sale price of new MaxFli Tours which I also like.

Edited by LebanonOz
corrected spelling

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Regular
:ping-small: G425 3Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 7 - Regular

:ping-small: G425 5i-PW (bent to old school lofts, similar to Ping's Retro Spec) - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:ping-small: G425 50* wedge - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 56* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Black
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 7S, Garsen Quad Tour non-tapered grip
Titleist ProV1x Left Dash
Shot Scope X5 watch; Bushnell Pro X2 Range Finder

16 minutes ago, LebanonOz said:

I've had good luck this year (2022) with goldballsdirect.com.  When looking for a supplier I read several complaints about the decline in quality at lostgolfballs and decided to give someone else a try.  All of the balls I received out 7 dozen really were mint except one that had two dimples colored with sharpie.  Between me and my wife we bought Titleist ProV1, ProV1x, TruFeel and Srixon Soft Feel.  Shipping is $9.99 flat rate or free if you spend $90 or more.  The last batch was the beginning of October and they were all good.  I buy the yellow ones so I don't have any personal feedback on whether the gloss white are up to the same standard if that is what you use.  Could be worth a shot if you want to stick with used market.  We used to use Snell but it has been hard to get the yellow ones so I switched to MaxFli Tours since I could get them locally.  The mint used ProV1s cost about the same as the sale price of new MaxFli Tours which I also like.

I've been using golfballsdirect.com for the last couple of years.  My wife only plays Yellow balls and likes the Titleist TruFeel; last fall I bought a couple dozen of the Titleist Tour Soft in Yellow as my winter ball.  It works fine as the turf/greens are very firm/frozen most of the winter and nothing spins much anyway.  I still have some left for this winter.  I have had no issues with golfballsdirect.com and will continue using them for the TruFeels.  I have been using the Maxfli Tour X all summer and like it; thought I'd try the Tour in Yellow to see if it's work, but the mint Tour Softs are much cheaper, and who needs an expensive ball when it's this cold outside!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, NoRebound said:

I've been using LostGolfBalls.com for a couple of years and I did notice player markings on a couple of balls that I've received.  I really didn't think anything about it.  I knew I was buying a used ball and that some people mark balls up rather oddly.  I did take one ball that was heavily marked and took a good draftsman-quality Helix pencil eraser to it and the markings vanished.   Rubbing the ball in that way did not damage the surface of the ball or its playability, in fact I used it about a week later to shoot my low round of the year.  

My real problem with using LostGolfBalls.com has become price.  I realize that my game ball is rare, yellow ProV1 2021 model.  But even when applying the present 15% discount my ball is $45 with tax and shipping.  I can go to Golf Galaxy and buy a brand-new dozen for $50.  

That is one of the reasons that I've switched to a Maxfli Tour for off season golf.    It doesn't hurt the wallet as much to drive one into a pile of leaves that Mother Nature has blown in the way.  

That is my gripe. If I'm paying near retail levels for a used ball, I'd love proof that it has not been soaking in a pond for a year. These companies are so good at cleaning them up, there is no telling where they have been.

18 hours ago, cardia10 said:

That is my gripe. If I'm paying near retail levels for a used ball, I'd love proof that it has not been soaking in a pond for a year. These companies are so good at cleaning them up, there is no telling where they have been.

How about proof that the ball isn't repainted to say its not a pinnacle or noodle? I know a lot of these are rerun balls meaning lost and found then cleaned, however take a look at MGS twitter and some of the photos they have been sent or found with golf balls that are labled as one thing and actually another and it is somewhat shocking. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

At the prices of DTC balls that are proven to be worthy of comparing to other premium balls, why buy used/refurbished?  And if "cheap balls" is what you're seeking, there are plenty of available brand new balls at bargain pricing.  Shoot, just take a walk along the outer edges of golf courses and pick up all the free balls you want!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

A lot of people here are saying "just buy DTC, don't buy used/refurb." A HUGE caveat to this is that "used" and "refurb" are NOT the same thing.  MyGolfSpy Ball Lab has pretty conclusively demonstrated that it's NEVER a good idea to buy refurbished balls, but used balls, in good condition, perform exactly like new ones.

DTC balls are great.  If a DTC ball fits your swing profile, buy it. But if you can buy a dozen used, mint condition left-dash for $35 bucks, and if that's the ball that fits your swing profile, why compromise buying a DTC ball that may not fit your swing?

Driver: Srixon Tour Van Z785 - 8.5*

4-PW - Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

52, 56, 60 - Vokey SM6

Putter - Scotty Cameron California Monterey

Ball - Titleist ProV1x - Left Dash

24 minutes ago, TheMidnightHandyman said:

A lot of people here are saying "just buy DTC, don't buy used/refurb." A HUGE caveat to this is that "used" and "refurb" are NOT the same thing.  MyGolfSpy Ball Lab has pretty conclusively demonstrated that it's NEVER a good idea to buy refurbished balls, but used balls, in good condition, perform exactly like new ones.

DTC balls are great.  If a DTC ball fits your swing profile, buy it. But if you can buy a dozen used, mint condition left-dash for $35 bucks, and if that's the ball that fits your swing profile, why compromise buying a DTC ball that may not fit your swing?

I think the question is where has that used left dash been living until it was found? In a desert or deep in a pond. That can be a significant difference and while it may look great, it brings the quality level down to that less of a DTC ball.

My last purchase from lostgolfballs was in April... a bucket of 48 Mint ProV1's. There were a few refurbished ones in the bucket. Not too happy with that. But it's still a good deal. 4 dozen ProV1's for about $100. Hard to beat, even with a few duds in there. I play those or buy Kirkland's ball, which is pretty good, too. I've played DTC Snell balls, too, and like them, but haven't used them in a few years.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

On 11/13/2022 at 12:14 PM, MikeB82 said:

Not sure what you paid for those golf balls, but you should try the Maxlfi Tour balls. They are excellent and you should be able to pick them up 2 dz for $60 at Dick's.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

I cannot in good conscience play a "used" ball. You don't know if the ball is actually what it purports to be. You don't know how long it had been sitting in the elements. You don't know if it is water logged. Maybe it's non-concentric and was a reason it got lost. There are just so many potential issues that I would be nervous relying on a used ball. I want to eliminate equipment issues as a reason for a bad shot.

What percentage would be acceptable? If a used ball is 99% good, is that good? What if it has only 5% defect or issues? 10%? Even if these balls are mostly good, and you can't confirm that, then you are risking bad shots or offline good shots, distance losses, spin issues etc. If you care about your score or try to play competitively, this just ain't it. If you play once a week and don't want to spend too much on balls and don't track your handicap, do whatever you want.

TaylorMade M6 10.5 (Sleeve @ 9.0) - PX HZRDUS Evenflow Black 75 (6.5) (Tipped 1in)

TaylorMade Stealth Plus Rescue 2-17 - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX HY (6.5) (Tipped addl. .5in + .25in short)

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 4-22 (Sleeve @ 20.5) - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX HY (6.5) (Tipped addl. .5in + .25in short)

2021 Callaway Apex Pro (4-PW) - DG X100

Sub70 286 Forged 50*-10 / 54*-12 (Black) - DG S400

Sub70 JB Forged 58*-06 (Black) - DG X100

Wilson Buckingham Infinite Putter - SuperStroke Traxion Claw (Cut to 33.5in)

Primary Ball: Rotation (Snell MTB-X, 2019 Left Dash, 2021 Pro-V1)

Wilson Staff Tour Bag

BagBoy Nitron Push Cart

On 11/13/2022 at 1:16 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

MGS blog has done a few articles on used or referb golf balls and why it's often better to buy new. 

They've highlighted companies like Lost Golf Balls before and lauded them. My only concern is if and for how long they were submerged...or what elements they were subjected to sitting outside before being "found." But MGS has only criticized "refurbished" because they repaint the cover the ball was designed to have. Recycled is not much different from finding a ball on the course.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

Somewhat remotely related - how many rounds before you retire a ball? I'll generally use one for a couple of rounds before it goes into the shag bag. Now back to the original topic - if that ball was washes/cleaned of scuff marks would I use it even in a 'friendly' round ? Probably not and especially not in a competitive/league round. So a nice clean lost Pro V looks pretty good but you don't know how many rounds it's been through - was it dunked off the first tee or did it go through several rounds. As I said in an earlier post with DTC (take your pic) the price/value proposition makes more sense. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 1 month later...

Checked golfballsdirect.com today and discovered that they are now the same company as Lostgolfballs.com.  Less competition and higher prices.  I really wish I could get MaxFli Tour X in yellow 🥺.

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Regular
:ping-small: G425 3Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 7 - Regular

:ping-small: G425 5i-PW (bent to old school lofts, similar to Ping's Retro Spec) - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:ping-small: G425 50* wedge - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 56* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Black
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 7S, Garsen Quad Tour non-tapered grip
Titleist ProV1x Left Dash
Shot Scope X5 watch; Bushnell Pro X2 Range Finder

• 2 weeks later...

Maxfli will be available in yellow again but not until August? In the mean time the Wilson Triad should be available in yellow within the next month or so. 
Wasn’t GolfBallsDirect part of Nitro and yes the used ball prices definitely went up.