TESTERS WANTED! ×

AVX or Z Star

Break80once

I broke 80 for the first time two weeks ago and have done it again since. My handicap is down to 12. Ive been using the AVX and clearly it works but I don’t like the lack of spin around the green. I prefer checking the ball when pitching and as we miss a few greens as mid-handicappers the result off wedges is important. 

Both balls are great there is not much between them in distance. The Srixon does fly higher. Keen on thoughts on these current versions. 

• Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS w Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 
  • 2H: Srixon ZX w Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 
  • 4H: Srixon ZX w Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 
  • Irons: XXIO X 12 5-PW w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST
  • Wedges: Cobra King 52, 56, 60
  • Putter: Ping Anser PLD
  • Ball: Chrome Soft

First congrats and welcome to the forum!

I have used both. Prefer the srixon. The avx worked well but think it was a little too low spin on driver. The tour response from tm was another good ball. 

Other factor was price. The AVX is easily the most expensive of the bunch. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, Break80once said:

I broke 80 for the first time two weeks ago and have done it again since. My handicap is down to 12. Ive been using the AVX and clearly it works but I don’t like the lack of spin around the green. I prefer checking the ball when pitching and as we miss a few greens as mid-handicappers the result off wedges is important. 

Both balls are great there is not much between them in distance. The Srixon does fly higher. Keen on thoughts on these current versions. 

Congrats on breaking 80.  You’ve broken 80 using the AVX and as you said, it works.  Going with a ball with more spin around the green could actually be more detrimental to your game.  I can’t see your shots,, but let’s say the AVX rolls out a couple of more feet and the ZStar checks up faster.  This could drastically change your proximity to the hole and cause your score to rise.  Of course you could get used to the higher spinning ball and make adjustments….which is a learning process that takes place over time.    This is why ball fitting advocates say find the ball that has the performance you want around the green as well as with irons and off the tee. 

Either or any ball is probably fine; just stick with it.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you're playing AVX to reduce driver spin, I also suggest considering Vice Pro Plus, which are cheaper than AVX.

Low spin off the tee and high spin on the green is frequently marketed but really the white whale of performance. Kind of hard to have both of those.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

Those are two very different balls. The AVX is a very low flight ball across nearly all clubs, so if you switch away to something else for more check around the greens, keep in mind the ballflight you're used to having has a very good chance of changing, which can impact how you're playing.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 11/16/2022 at 4:06 AM, Break80once said:

Not a whole lot I can add that hasn't already been said. The newest AVX is obviously heads and shoulders better than the previous iteration in terms of greenside performance, but still going to be one of the lowest spinning options. The AVX is also a pretty low-flight ball and unless you need that, you're probably better suited for something with a little more height. The Z-Star is definitely going to fly higher, feel a little firmer, and should spin more than the AVX.

I suppose my main question is why are you limiting yourself to just these two models? Are you trying to stay with a softer feel? Are there other balls you've experimented with but didn't like? And if so, what about them didn't you like?

(and congrats on breaking 80!! just be careful, it can get addicting 🙂 )

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. The break 80 thing was addictive for me!

Aged 55 I only picked up a golf club 13 years ago. No real talent, love it, enjoy swapping clubs in/out etc. 80 was the only target. Winter here in Melbourne AU has been wet, Ive been a bit more serious with a few lessons over that time and I have got my handicap down to now 12 mostly by saving shots around the green...chipping and putting. Our Club pro put me on the AVX for consistency when we put the Epic driver in the bag. I'd been using the Z Star, Ive tried every Chrome Soft this year and I gave the TP5 a good run. The softer feel gives better compression, distance is comparable across all apart from the TP5 which was much shorter. 

The ball flight between AVX and Z Star is not that different for me. Chrome Soft regular is higher and has less run off all shots. The CSX and CSX LS are similar, just harder. Have not tried the Tour Response and I am not brand aligned or price driven in any way. I buy balls at the club etc. The reason I asked the question relates to the comments above, do I sacrifice the feel around the green and pick the ball from the tee (AVX), or do I preference green side and use the Srixon? As the weather improves Im inclined to think it's pick from the green, where there is the biggest difference between these balls. The holy grail comment above is valid, I agree...low spin long clubs and plenty of check on the wedges is not something I see from any one ball. For me I think the Srixon is closest, it just doesn't fly as long and straight as an AVX!!!

9 hours ago, Break80once said:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. The break 80 thing was addictive for me!

Aged 55 I only picked up a golf club 13 years ago. No real talent, love it, enjoy swapping clubs in/out etc. 80 was the only target. Winter here in Melbourne AU has been wet, Ive been a bit more serious with a few lessons over that time and I have got my handicap down to now 12 mostly by saving shots around the green...chipping and putting. Our Club pro put me on the AVX for consistency when we put the Epic driver in the bag. I'd been using the Z Star, Ive tried every Chrome Soft this year and I gave the TP5 a good run. The softer feel gives better compression, distance is comparable across all apart from the TP5 which was much shorter. 

The ball flight between AVX and Z Star is not that different for me. Chrome Soft regular is higher and has less run off all shots. The CSX and CSX LS are similar, just harder. Have not tried the Tour Response and I am not brand aligned or price driven in any way. I buy balls at the club etc. The reason I asked the question relates to the comments above, do I sacrifice the feel around the green and pick the ball from the tee (AVX), or do I preference green side and use the Srixon? As the weather improves Im inclined to think it's pick from the green, where there is the biggest difference between these balls. The holy grail comment above is valid, I agree...low spin long clubs and plenty of check on the wedges is not something I see from any one ball. For me I think the Srixon is closest, it just doesn't fly as long and straight as an AVX!!!

Do you have any shot tracking system that may tell you where you are strongest and where you could improve the most? That could help determine which ball may suit your game the best. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Do you have any shot tracking system that may tell you where you are strongest and where you could improve the most? That could help determine which ball may suit your game the best. 

No, good question. Have hit a few balls in a sim but nothing of consequence. Worth a thought 

Adding to the previous comments... Welcome to the Forum and Congratulations on breaking 80!!

I have been playing the AVX balls recently (as a gift from my kids 🙂 ) and it has been performing well for me too.  I also really like the Maxfli Tour CG and they have slightly different profiles between them... so it is less easy to switch back and forth... I tend to play one or the other so I have a good feel on what the ball will do related to spin mostly.  One thing I have noticed, and really like about the AVX - due to the lower spin... that is also evident on full shots... low spin reduces side spin as well... so my drives and full iron shots are a little straighter on shots hit with side spin.  That could be a plus or minus depending on your game and how you control full shot spin, but something I wanted to mention. 

I tried the Z Star, the XV and the Diamond, and they are all really good balls... different profiles with each of course.   Of the three, my fav is the Z Star for my swing, but the Maxfli performs almost identically to that at a better price point.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

You may wish to look at the Q Star Tour.  Its said to be a closer match to the AVX but will give you more iron spin.

The Z Star will spin more than both the AVX and QST.  Also the QST is about $13-$15 less per dozen and when Srixon issue the BOGOs its a great deal.

Good luck and congrats!

On 11/16/2022 at 4:06 AM, Break80once said:

Not sure if this has been suggested yet but I am completely sold on the Maxfli TourX. Up until trying the Maxfli I had been a loyal Titleist buyer. I would occasionally try something new such as TaylorMade or Bridgestone but would always return to the Titleist ProV1X. Not anymore. Maxfli could charge $60/dozen and I would still buy the TourX. At 66 years old and average swing speed for my age, I need spin as much or more than I need distance. The Maxfli TourX spins great around the greens and really good on full shots. I haven’t lost any yardage so for me it’s a win-win

Cobra Speedzone 9* Driver, 47” long, Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Cobra Speedzone 14.5* fairway metal, Fujikura Atmos R shaft, +2”

Titleist 818 hybrids 21*, 23*, 25* Tensei blue hybrid shafts R flex, +2”

Cobra Forged Tec (2021) 6-PW, AeroTech SteelFiber I80 R, +2”

Titleist Vokey wedges, SM9 48*, 52*, 56* all +2”

Putter, Odyssey White Hot D.A.R.T., 36”

12 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I also really like the Maxfli Tour CG the Maxfli performs almost identically to that at a better price point.

7 hours ago, Rix said:

Not sure if this has been suggested yet but I am completely sold on the Maxfli TourX. Up until trying the Maxfli I had been a loyal Titleist buyer. I would occasionally try something new such as TaylorMade or Bridgestone but would always return to the Titleist ProV1X. Not anymore. Maxfli could charge $60/dozen and I would still buy the TourX. At 66 years old and average swing speed for my age, I need spin as much or more than I need distance. The Maxfli TourX spins great around the greens and really good on full shots. I haven’t lost any yardage so for me it’s a win-win

I think you'd really enjoy the Maxfli Tour CG (not the X, though it would give you more spin, it's a little firmer) -- BUT idk how likely you are to find them in Australia. One of the reasons so many (Americans) on the forum like them is you can get em for $30/doz and their performance is basically identical to a Pro V1. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Maxfli and AVX were pretty similarly priced down under.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Another rain deluge this weekend, Saturday has become the wettest day of our year! I checked out of the round early this weekend, wasn’t quite there. It did give an opportunity to hit both balls. Driver and the hybrids, not much difference and any rollout will likely improve for the Srixon if we ever dry out ‘down under’.

My irons are a little longer with the AVX, most likely because of less height but I struggle to spin AVX. I will have a look for the Maxfli, Ive never considered it and we don’t stock them in our pro shop. Thanks for the suggestion  

• 9 months later...

Congrats on breaking 80. I have been using both AVX and Z-Star over the last 5 years or however long the AVX has been on the market.  After playing both balls for a number of years, here's what I've found. The Z-Star is a little firmer than the AVX. The AVX is a softer ball. I play in a very windy city (supposedly the 3rd windiest city in the world.) I have both the AVX and the Z-Star both work well in the wind but I think the Z-Star a bit better in The wind. The Z-Star does stop quicker bur the AVX is no slouch either but it's not a Z-Star/Pro V1. When putting, I do like the feel of the AVX better. I do have to make a small adjustment using the Z-Star when putting because it seems to be hotter coming off the putter. On a really windy day, I found the Z-Start XV a better ball. I don't like the Q-Star or the Q-star tour. They just don't feel right and I find they are shorter than the AVX or the Z-Star.  I would recommend either ball. I keep both in the ball and use them interchangeable.

Paradym X Driver 10.5*

Paradym X 5 & 7 woods

Paradym X 4 & 5 Hybrids

Paradym X irons 6-AW

Cleveland CBG wedges 50, 54 & 58*

Odyssey Versa Sabre tooth putter.