Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What is a good golf specific workout program?

So over the past few years I didn't really take into consideration my fitness level. I realized back in November that my weight was getting out of hand...I was topping the scales at 230 lbs and for me that was unacceptable! I took matters into my own hands and since November I have lost 30 lbs to get back down to 200.

Now my goal is to tone up and work on my strength and flexibility. What I need is a good golf-specific workout that will help me gain more flexibility along with helping my tone the body up. I have no desire to ripped and huge...just cut and lean.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should start??

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gratz on the weight loss! I look forward to any replies to this because I'm in a similar situation and looking to get back into fighting shape =)

My kinda topic :blink:

Firstly "golf specific" workouts are inherently detrimental by design. Think about it, if you were to exercise your golf muscles you would be building up those muscles and creating IMBALANCES while neglecting the rest of your muscles.

THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS GOLF MUSCLES

(hope that is clear)

for the best benefit, what a person needs to do is incorporate a total body workouts that stimulates all 6 major body parts:

1-Legs

2-Back

3-Shoulders

4-Chest

5-Arms

6-Abs

Now as one progresses and fitness level increases they can split the body up into days in order to provide greater stimulation per session to the given bodypart.

But health and fitness is not just about going to the gym and repeatedly moving around iron. Its a 3 prong approach:

1-Training - it provides the stimulation to induce change

2-Nutrition - Provides the nutrients to accommodate the change

3-Hormones (yes you do make them between your legs) - provides the support for the nutrients to make the change

Forget about losing weight, and focus on building muscle (no we're not talking about 20" biceps), just by increasing one's lean muscle mass increases the metabolic rate which in turn burns more body fat. For all you people looking to lose weight remember the folks that used the starvation diets worked - they died! you need to EAT nutrient dense foods to provide the required amino acids (via protein) your body needs to repair (muscles, organs, tissue, hair etc) along with good sources of energy (carbs and fat) to accommodate that repair process and the fat will come off.

Hormones - anytime you eat something you kick start some type of chemical reaction in the body. Keeping your body ANABOLIC (meaning to use energy to grow) vs CATABOLIC (using energy to destroy) is the key. If your body is lacking amino acids in the bloodstream (the body is no diplomatic) it will cannibalize itself and steal the aminos from your muscles (shrinking them)and organs to fulfill its requirements. Now you are fighting your body vs using your body to grow.

well that should get us going =) gotta run for now

Michael

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

My kinda topic :blink:

Firstly "golf specific" workouts are inherently detrimental by design. Think about it, if you were to exercise your golf muscles you would be building up those muscles and creating IMBALANCES while neglecting the rest of your muscles.

THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS GOLF MUSCLES

(hope that is clear)

for the best benefit, what a person needs to do is incorporate a total body workouts that stimulates all 6 major body parts:

1-Legs

2-Back

3-Shoulders

4-Chest

5-Arms

6-Abs

Now as one progresses and fitness level increases they can split the body up into days in order to provide greater stimulation per session to the given bodypart.

But health and fitness is not just about going to the gym and repeatedly moving around iron. Its a 3 prong approach:

1-Training - it provides the stimulation to induce change

2-Nutrition - Provides the nutrients to accommodate the change

3-Hormones (yes you do make them between your legs) - provides the support for the nutrients to make the change

Forget about losing weight, and focus on building muscle (no we're not talking about 20" biceps), just by increasing one's lean muscle mass increases the metabolic rate which in turn burns more body fat. For all you people looking to lose weight remember the folks that used the starvation diets worked - they died! you need to EAT nutrient dense foods to provide the required amino acids (via protein) your body needs to repair (muscles, organs, tissue, hair etc) along with good sources of energy (carbs and fat) to accommodate that repair process and the fat will come off.

Hormones - anytime you eat something you kick start some type of chemical reaction in the body. Keeping your body ANABOLIC (meaning to use energy to grow) vs CATABOLIC (using energy to destroy) is the key. If your body is lacking amino acids in the bloodstream (the body is no diplomatic) it will cannibalize itself and steal the aminos from your muscles (shrinking them)and organs to fulfill its requirements. Now you are fighting your body vs using your body to grow.

well that should get us going =) gotta run for now

Michael

I completely understand what you are saying. I have forgotten about the weight loss now, but my issue is I can't find a workout that I really like. I figure low weight/high rep would work better, but not certain. What suggestions have you got for workout programs?

I completely understand what you are saying. I have forgotten about the weight loss now, but my issue is I can't find a workout that I really like. I figure low weight/high rep would work better, but not certain. What suggestions have you got for workout programs?

the whole idea is to keep the body guessing. that requires changing up the machines, reps schemes, tempos of the reps, stress points etc, each time you train.

i personally like to hit each body part with 3-5 exercises with 3-5 sets per.

what does that break down into

legs

quads - leg extension, squats

hams - seated hamstrings

butt - dead lifts

calves - calf raises

back

lats - torso pullovers, pulldowns

middle back -seated rows

lower back - bent over rows, hyper extensions

shoulders

front delt - overhead presses

side delt - dumbbell laterals

rear delt - bent over laterals

chest

upper pec - incline press, incline flyes

lower pec - flat bench press/flyes

arms

bicep - curls

Triceps - press downs

its very mathematical now you can do a simple rep scheme - 25/15/12/10/8 where you increase weight with each set.

but keep mixing it up. change the angles each time.

keep us posted!

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I tried a golf specific workout and as Manavs said, it caused more harm than good. There is a book out that Men's Health magazine reviewed well. It is called the TNT Diet. It is a diet and training book in one. The training is focused on weight training and core stability training. If you google it, Mens health has a good online write up on it. The exercise schedule and how to properly execute each exercise is well laid out and the schedule covers a 6 month period. I am in month 3 of the exercise program and all of the joint pains (runner's knee, elbow pain) have gone. I took the winter off from golf (no choice in Wisconsin) and went to try the new Super Tri driver compared to my current driver on a LM. Though being off, my SS was right where I left off last season and I expect it to only go up from there. The nice thing about the exercises is most of them are with dumbells. If you are near a Barnes and Noble, etc. take a look at the book. So far I have been pleased with the results (lost 15 lbs but more importantly, I have lost almost 2" off my waist).

I tried a golf specific workout and as Manavs said, it caused more harm than good. There is a book out that Men's Health magazine reviewed well. It is called the TNT Diet. It is a diet and training book in one. The training is focused on weight training and core stability training. If you google it, Mens health has a good online write up on it. The exercise schedule and how to properly execute each exercise is well laid out and the schedule covers a 6 month period. I am in month 3 of the exercise program and all of the joint pains (runner's knee, elbow pain) have gone. I took the winter off from golf (no choice in Wisconsin) and went to try the new Super Tri driver compared to my current driver on a LM. Though being off, my SS was right where I left off last season and I expect it to only go up from there. The nice thing about the exercises is most of them are with dumbells. If you are near a Barnes and Noble, etc. take a look at the book. So far I have been pleased with the results (lost 15 lbs but more importantly, I have lost almost 2" off my waist).

Congrats on the weight loss roverdisco! keep up the good work bro

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

This is obviously not golf specific, but anytime workouts get brought up I feel obliged to plug P90X. I lost around 40 pounds on it (I know you've already done the weight loss part, kudos), and felt stronger, faster, and more flexible than I ever have. The workouts are pretty intense, but I didn't get bulky or tight because there's a good emphasis on flexibility and practical motions. I felt like last summer (at the end of my 90 days), I wasn't necessarily hitting the ball further, but I was hitting it the same distance more consistently and more easily than every before.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

This is obviously not golf specific,

thats is exactly why it worked! :P

but anytime workouts get brought up I feel obliged to plug P90X. I lost around 40 pounds on it (I know you've already done the weight loss part, kudos), and felt stronger, faster, and more flexible than I ever have. The workouts are pretty intense, but I didn't get bulky or tight because there's a good emphasis on flexibility and practical motions. I felt like last summer (at the end of my 90 days), I wasn't necessarily hitting the ball further, but I was hitting it the same distance more consistently and more easily than every before.

for those people looking to put on size that is the big issue with that program. i have not seen anyone develop any lean mass on that program. it decreases bodyfat but maintains or slightly lowers lean mass.

ideally a comprehensive program should deliver both - fat loss and increase in muscle mass.

good going!

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

thats is exactly why it worked! :blink:

for those people looking to put on size that is the big issue with that program. i have not seen anyone develop any lean mass on that program. it decreases bodyfat but maintains or slightly lowers lean mass.

ideally a comprehensive program should deliver both - fat loss and increase in muscle mass.

good going!

Thanks!

I'm on my second 90 days right now (not as strict, more maintenance than anything else), and one thing that I've found, speaking to your point about adding lean mass, is that protein shakes after workouts make ALL the difference. During the first week of workouts I was really getting after the protein, and I felt and looked bigger quickly. Since then I've laid off the shakes (for no particular reason, really) and I've felt like the size gains have stopped and I'm leaning out again.

Thanks!

I'm on my second 90 days right now (not as strict, more maintenance than anything else), and one thing that I've found, speaking to your point about adding lean mass, is that protein shakes after workouts make ALL the difference. During the first week of workouts I was really getting after the protein, and I felt and looked bigger quickly. Since then I've laid off the shakes (for no particular reason, really) and I've felt like the size gains have stopped and I'm leaning out again.

Well lets take a look at why you take protein, be it shakes or food. What is the purpose of taking in protein?

to put on lean mass by extracting the amino acids, specifically leucine, isoleucine and isovaline - the BCAA's. so right there is an extra step.

you have to breakdown the food into its primary component. this takes an awful lot of energy and thats where all your calories that were going to building go - to metabolize or breakdown the protein. and the worse part is you dont get nearly enough leucine in the foods or even the best shakes available.

stock up on a good branch chained amino acid in between your meals and that will allow you to fend off catabolism and keep you growing and staying lean at the same time.

Best

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

This is obviously not golf specific, but anytime workouts get brought up I feel obliged to plug P90X. I lost around 40 pounds on it (I know you've already done the weight loss part, kudos), and felt stronger, faster, and more flexible than I ever have. The workouts are pretty intense, but I didn't get bulky or tight because there's a good emphasis on flexibility and practical motions. I felt like last summer (at the end of my 90 days), I wasn't necessarily hitting the ball further, but I was hitting it the same distance more consistently and more easily than every before.

Bring IT!!!!!

P90X is absolutely the best workout plan going if you have the time and discipline. I am 40 years old now, and have completed P90x once, and am working on a 2nd round. I not only drive the ball farther and straighter than I did when I was 25, I hit it past 95% of the 25 year olds I play with. I am not a huge dude that takes a massive rip at it either. All of my yardage comes from flexibility, timing and explosiveness. I am 5'8" 165, and typically drive the ball in the 285 - 295 range..... in play. If only P90x would make me a better putter.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Bring IT!!!!!

P90X is absolutely the best workout plan going if you have the time and discipline. I am 40 years old now, and have completed P90x once, and am working on a 2nd round. I not only drive the ball farther and straighter than I did when I was 25, I hit it past 95% of the 25 year olds I play with. I am not a huge dude that takes a massive rip at it either. All of my yardage comes from flexibility, timing and explosiveness. I am 5'8" 165, and typically drive the ball in the 285 - 295 range..... in play. If only P90x would make me a better putter.

let me say i think that its great that youve gotten fit using any program, and excited about it. we need more people with your fervor.

what astounds me from a fitness background, is if you think those results are is this good, what you would think of a better program? :angry:

i mean 5'8 165 can be fit, and for sure fit for golf. but what if you were able to maintain or improve all of the same performance characteristics of flexibility, timing, explosiveness and bodyfat levels, but with a 200lb engine behind it??

the answer is no secret, you would hit it better and farther. muscle mass (at anyage) and flexibility do not have to be mutually exclusive.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Add me to the P90X crew. Love that stuff. In college, we did a lot of running, free weights and stretching. It was good, but it was more for maintaining fitness than getting stronger, faster, etc. The P90X program help take it to that next level. I would suggest getting a pull up bar instead of the bands. That was a huge difference in building up my arms.

As far as diet goes, I have lost 19lbs over 5 months with the blood type diet. I have a lot more energy but my food selection has decreased. I am a Type A blood type. I don't eat wheat flour, very little dairy, only fish, tofu or chicken and lots of nuts for protein. I tried it out and though I am not as stingy with it as my wife, I still see the results in both weight loss and increased energy levels.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• SPY VIP

A simple thing that has helped my game recently has been getting back in the pool for workouts. It is hard to describe the overall effect, but my body feels longer and more flexible after swimming. At 41, my soreness from the indoor time at the gym seems to linger longer than when I was younger. Weight has gotten stuck at 218, but I know I am switching out fat for muscle too.

Plus, swimmin in the rain is fun...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 2 weeks later...

let me say i think that its great that youve gotten fit using any program, and excited about it. we need more people with your fervor.

what astounds me from a fitness background, is if you think those results are is this good, what you would think of a better program? B)

i mean 5'8 165 can be fit, and for sure fit for golf. but what if you were able to maintain or improve all of the same performance characteristics of flexibility, timing, explosiveness and bodyfat levels, but with a 200lb engine behind it??

the answer is no secret, you would hit it better and farther. muscle mass (at anyage) and flexibility do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I appreciate you being on here. Your enthusiasm for the subject shows through and that motivates me to up the intensity on my own workouts. Keep posting.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Thanks A2g - welcome aboard!!!

Hi Manavs

First of all, obviously you are in great shape. I too, let myself go over the last 6 months because the doctor told me to lay off the workouts after my second DVT in my leg. I put on about 30 pounds, and now that i have been cleared, i started P90x and am almost done with the second week. I have done a thread in this section where i am planning on doing updates..etc and telling folks the benefits of the program as I believe that 90 days is a short enough time to get yourself in shape somewhat and continue on from there.

Now, if you dont mind I was wondering if you could take a look at my eating plan(obviously this varies but caloric intake is about the same for each meal) and also if you could recommend a "good" BCAA stack? My goal is to transform my body completely and continue from there. This would probably help others as well. I do appreciate your time.

Wake-Up: 315 am --> Protein Bar or Protein Shake depending on my mood and how late i woke up.

Breakfast 6am --> 1 package of 150 calorie Natures Path organic oatmeal with blueberries and flaxseed oil contained within. (This breakfast never varies)

Mid Morning Snack --> Orange or apple..depends on my mood.

Lunch 10AM --> Chicken Breast, or 2 fillets of baked fish, or sandwich on bread containing turkey or roast beef(approx 6 ounces), 1 slice of cheese, lettuce, onion and guldens mustard. About 12 baby carrot pieces, some cauliflower stalks and celery with a small bit of ranch dressing. Sometimes if they have cooked aspargus i will get that and the veggies.

Mid-afternoon snack --> Orange or apple

Pre workout NO supplement

P90X when i get home

creatine based recovery drink

Dinner(after P90x)--> chicken, or fish or lean flank steak, green beans(usually) and sometimes some rice.

before Bed--> Ceasin Protein shake with skim milk

Should i throw in some more cardio maybe 2 times a week for a 3 mile run or some interval training on the treadmill? I have only lost 2 pounds, but i can feel that my pants feel much better and i can tell that I am definitely becoming a lot more defined up top in m chest shoulders and arms. Is it possible that i lost weight(fat) but gained lean muscle?

Again, thanks!

Joe

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• SPY VIP

My hat is off to you Joe. That takes commitment to be so regimented. I look forward to reading about your progress and maybe adding a thread like this when I give the program a go.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

My hat is off to you Joe. That takes commitment to be so regimented. I look forward to reading about your progress and maybe adding a thread like this when I give the program a go.

The hardest part is starting. Im sure we will be here when you start to do your program and see you through it. I feel the best i have felt in years.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

The hardest part is starting. Im sure we will be here when you start to do your program and see you through it. I feel the best i have felt in years.

Exactly. When you see results you will not want to stop.

100% true. Seeing the results also makes it a lot easier to change your eating habits (which to me is much harder than the workouts). You'll be focused on not undoing the work you've put in.

Hi Manavs

First of all, obviously you are in great shape. I too, let myself go over the last 6 months because the doctor told me to lay off the workouts after my second DVT in my leg. I put on about 30 pounds, and now that i have been cleared, i started P90x and am almost done with the second week. I have done a thread in this section where i am planning on doing updates..etc and telling folks the benefits of the program as I believe that 90 days is a short enough time to get yourself in shape somewhat and continue on from there.

Now, if you dont mind I was wondering if you could take a look at my eating plan(obviously this varies but caloric intake is about the same for each meal) and also if you could recommend a "good" BCAA stack? My goal is to transform my body completely and continue from there. This would probably help others as well. I do appreciate your time.

Wake-Up: 315 am --> Protein Bar or Protein Shake depending on my mood and how late i woke up.

Breakfast 6am --> 1 package of 150 calorie Natures Path organic oatmeal with blueberries and flaxseed oil contained within. (This breakfast never varies)

Mid Morning Snack --> Orange or apple..depends on my mood.

Lunch 10AM --> Chicken Breast, or 2 fillets of baked fish, or sandwich on bread containing turkey or roast beef(approx 6 ounces), 1 slice of cheese, lettuce, onion and guldens mustard. About 12 baby carrot pieces, some cauliflower stalks and celery with a small bit of ranch dressing. Sometimes if they have cooked aspargus i will get that and the veggies.

Mid-afternoon snack --> Orange or apple

Pre workout NO supplement

P90X when i get home

creatine based recovery drink

Dinner(after P90x)--> chicken, or fish or lean flank steak, green beans(usually) and sometimes some rice.

before Bed--> Ceasin Protein shake with skim milk

Should i throw in some more cardio maybe 2 times a week for a 3 mile run or some interval training on the treadmill? I have only lost 2 pounds, but i can feel that my pants feel much better and i can tell that I am definitely becoming a lot more defined up top in m chest shoulders and arms. Is it possible that i lost weight(fat) but gained lean muscle?

Again, thanks!

Joe

Dear Joe -

Sorry for the delay in responding, as i have been traveling. I will answer your post and would like keep these kinds of questions in a different section as to not hijack this thread if thats ok -

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/576-q-a-with-bodybuilding-golf-pro-michael-manavian/

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I think the best golf workout is throwing medicine balls. It works almost (if not all) of the muscles you use in golf.

Jamo

This may create some imbalances in your golf swing by over developing them and leaving the rest of your muscles to stay the same. But try it and let us know how it goes.

I didn't read any of the other answers....but I'd say focus on the following:

- core

- core

- core

- hips

- glutes

- cardio

- then some more core

:D

NGage,

I'm curious where did this fascination with core came from? I never understood why the emphasis on any one muscle group. You use the body as a whole and to single out any one muscle group (and at that such a small group of muscles like your abs that can get in shape so quickly with very little effort), never made sense to me.

Michael

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Does flexibility out weigh muscle gain?

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

If you were asking Manavs exclusively, I apologize, but from my viewpoint I'd say yes. I think flexibility is something that will prevent injury, keep you pain-free, and help your golf swing. Obviously strength is also important, and having strong muscles will also do the 3 things that I mentioned. I guess if I am reading your question as "gaining muscle/strength vs. flexibility" I would choose flexibility for myself because I am very happy with my levels of strength. I suppose that will vary from person to person.

If you were asking Manavs exclusively, I apologize, but from my viewpoint I'd say yes. I think flexibility is something that will prevent injury, keep you pain-free, and help your golf swing. Obviously strength is also important, and having strong muscles will also do the 3 things that I mentioned. I guess if I am reading your question as "gaining muscle/strength vs. flexibility" I would choose flexibility for myself because I am very happy with my levels of strength. I suppose that will vary from person to person.

See this is what i love about a golf forum, etiquette. thanks for your courtesy MSaternus -

I just made a thread for specific questions to me, as i dont want to hijack this one.

Id agree with you in that why not do both? be flexible and strong. it doesnt have to be one or the other.

Ive also noticed alot more instant benefit from fascia stretching than joint stretching.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Archived