Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How many rounds do you manage using the same ball?

Dweed

On 11/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, cnosil said:

I play a ball until it is lost.   I typically just grab a ball from my bag and off we go.  I can go 5/6 rounds without losing a ball or I can lose 2/3 in a single round.  Depends on course and season (lots of leaves this time of year). 

This would be me exactly.  I do use a fresh ball if it's a truly competitive round though - not a scramble but a men's tournament at the club - I will have a fresh sleeve out for that.  If I loose that sleeve (I can't recall the last time that happened in a competitive round) it doesn't really matter anymore anyway. 🙂  My home course has hazards on 17 holes so if I'm not playing well, I will lose a ball or two per round but when I'm on I can cruise around for 4 or 5 rounds without losing one.  To put it in perspective I did the Titleist buy 3 get 4 dozen deal the last time it was offered and still have over a dozen balls left from it - I can't recall if that was two or three years ago.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think I’ve had a ball last 18-22 holes 4-5x out of 60+ rounds this year. We’re surrounded by forest, and have multiple ravines, creeks & ponds. But I don’t really lose a lot of balls until fall / winter. Leaf Rule can get me 2x a round and xtall rough can get me 1-2x more. So I can easily lose 4 balls per round on shots that normally would be findable / playable. They stop mowing in late October and even tho u can see where ur ball landed in the rough, when ya get there it might be so deep ya won’t see the ball unless it’s right under ur nose … it takes 4 of us in Nov to find balls in the rough, and we still don’t find them all … so playing by myself is a recipe to lose balls. Next year in October, I’m switching to Kirkland as my fall / winter ball. The ball pocket in my bag was full in Sept & I made the comment to my buddies that it was time to move balls over to my shag bag. But then by mid Oct it was only 1/2 full & by the end of the month I tossed in a dozen “losable” balls I bought off one of our resident “ball farmers”. I only play a new ball in tournaments, which is once a month. I will play a scuffed ball in any of the 3 skins games I play per week … and I’m usually winning at least 1 skin a round … gross or net. We play gross beats net in the big Sat morning game. That said, 2 bad holes with a scuffed ball & I’ll toss it in the pond myself. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

I do lose a few a round, but sometimes I can get 3-4 rounds on the same ball. Depends on me(!!), and the course, conditions, etc...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I can go up to 36 if I don't lose it in the water.

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I will start with a new ball. If it lasts an entire round and not scuffed, then it goes in my bag, and I will use it a back-up ball for another round. That being said, I have no qualms with using that ball to start another round.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

Like many of you I will play a ball until lost or scuffed to the point that ball looks chewed — usually 27-36 holes (more if I’m finding fairways and greens).

I find that balls I find last significantly longer than balls I actually paid for — don’t know if that is causation or correlation. 😉 

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

In general I will use a ball as long as I possibly can provided the cover remains in good shape.  I have been fortunate enough to have used the same ball many times between 18 to 36 holes & I have managed to get 54 holes out of the same single ball every so often too.  I tend to hit down really hard on the ball so at times I will generate a lot of spin & I end up taking a chunk out of the ball where I deem it not in good enough shape to use any longer.  When that happens they go to my basement net ball collection so it's not a "wasted" ball since I can hit them for years without worry of performance issues.     

PXG Gen1 Tour 0311 Irons 4-PW

Ping G425 LST 9 Degree Driver

Ping G410 LST 14.5 Degree 3 Wood

Exotics EX9 18 Degree Hybrid

Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

Unless they hit a rock, path, or smack a tree trunk it's her time to fly.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

I can keep one in play for about 36-45 holes depending on how the condition of the cover deteriorates.  I don't consider my swing to be fast and/or powerful but some balls get cut from the clubface grooves easier than others.  Those that suffer most are Nitro so I no longer play Nitros even if they must be rescued as lost, neglected, and/or abandoned golf balls that are given to whomever wants them.  ⛳

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

On 11/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, CarlH said:

I normally put a new ball in play every round and will keep it in play for the whole 18 (assuming it isn't lost or drowned during play).  I will take a ball out of play that has become scuffed from a cart path or otherwise damaged even slightly.  When I'm playing a more casual round, I'll often just grab one that has been played but still in good condition.  Scuffed or blemished balls will be tossed or added to a shag bag....

Pretty much the same for me 

When I was younger I could get a ball to last 3-4 rounds before switching it out. With the newer balls I'm lucky to make it a round with the same ball due to scuffs or damage to ball in some way. I live in Vegas so desert golf. I find myself going through a sleeve a round most days. It's unfortunate but seems the more expensive the ball the less they hold up to striking hard objects or coming out of sand. I have found for me the most cost effective balls for durability and quality are the maxfli tour x or snell Black. Titleist balls at the rate I go through them are cost prohibitive. In the early 2000s I remember my whole freshman and sophomore year I went through only 24 balls a year. We had a sponsorship with Nike at the time. There first generation solid core ball was extremely durable. I was also playing in Utah where courses had less rocks and hard pan bunkers as well. 

steelhead 9°, rbz 5w, ping awr 2 bc irons, isi irons, or nike vapor irons, cleveland 52°, 58°, 64° 2 ball putter.

I will usually play a ball till either I lose it, it gets badly scuffed or worn out to the point it looks dirty and less bright than a new ball. It's not like we are getting these balls for free like the pros soI'm more apt to play them till they are lost. 

Golfnut

I play one till it's lost or ball flight indicates it is too scuffed to continue. Since I have been playing found balls for years, no telling how many actual rounds a ball actually has on it. Don't know why, but my group finds a good number of balls on the course. If it isn't new looking or a brand no one wants to play, we "catch and release", i.e. we leave it for someone else on the next tee. Currently have a shoe box full of mostly Pro Vs, with a few Vice pro and Bridgestone BRX balls that play pretty similar for me. Recently found a couple of AVX balls and they are very long. They are inconsistent off the irons distance wise so not sure they will be added to the keeper list. That is part of the fun though, get to test lots of balls for free.

I mark balls with red lines and generally have to remark every second or third round. Not unusual to play 8-10 rounds with the same ball.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

My dad prides himself on keeping the same ball in play for as long as possible (even takes pride in continuing to use a scuffed ball for some reason...). Me? Not so much. 

Assuming I don't lose it, average ball life for me is probably around 6 holes. Some make it longer, but rarely make it through a full round; others only make it 1-2 holes. I inspect the ball on the green and/or between holes, and take out anything that's scuffed or damaged in any way. I do make exceptions for casual/fun rounds, so minor issues stay in play in those situations. Main things that take it out of play:

Cart Path, Tree, Rock, or similar? ➡️ immediately taken out of play, even if it appears minor. 

Wedge from the fairway? ➡️ inspect closely - probably 30% of the time the wedge scuffs it enough to make a difference. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

Always start with a new ball.  There aren't really a lot of opportunities to lose a ball at my course, so they normally last a full round.  If they aren't too scuffed up, they stay in the bag for a "provisional" situation.  If I lose a ball, an old one comes out then, too.  Obviously I must not be hitting it well enough to warrant a new golf ball...  🙂

I am fortunate to live in the PNW where we can play virtually all year long, very little snow here just lots of rain and leaves. So during fall and winter most likely to lose a ball in the leaves or even plugged in soggy fairways. I have gone a few rounds now and then without losing a ball but I am still usually losing 1/2 a round. I will take one out of play if it gets too banged up and reserve it for my backyard putting green...

:honma: Driver, 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

If I was looking at averages, I would say I can get about 2-3 rounds out of a ball. If I scuff one or it starts looking like crap, I will switch it out and donate it to the 1st tee shag bag we have at my club. Obviously, there are days when I can lose a couple in a round, but usually a ball will last me about 2-3 rounds. I play a pretty heavily treed course here in Tulsa, Okla. and we have water, OB, etc... but it's generally the wind or trees that get you in trouble here. I recently played out in Vegas and brought 9 balls with me and played the same ball for all 3 rounds. 

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

If Im playing a competitive round its aways a new ball.  If its a casual round I will play a ball until it has a significant scuff or cut.  I don’t keep track of how long. 

Driver Ping 410+ w/  TENSI orange 60 shaft stiff

Ping 3W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 5W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 4 Hybrid orange shaft stiff

Taylormade 790 5 -A irons w/ Aerotech Steelfiber I 95 stiff shafts

Titliest Wedges  SM7 - 54.14 F grind, 58.10 S grind 

Ping Ketcsh Putter

Arccos Sensors

Spoiler

I usually keep using a ball until it's lost or too scuffed to fly "straight". What I usually do is pick a ball in my bag that's not too scratched or even a new one, and play with it. If I loose it, I'll pick another ball in my bag, if I don't loose the ball in the 9 or 18 or 14 (in winter I often do play 14, the routing of the course allows it and the time before sunset is OK) back in the bag it goes, where I'll probably pick it up the next time I play. After a while my bag is full of very used balls (either my old ones or balls I've found while playing) and I use these for chipping practice, or some times I use them on the range (only with short irons, else I could go over the back net as my range is fairly short. At this time I usually put a few (4 or 6 typically) new balls in the bag.

Rinse and repeat!

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I play them until I lose them or damage them so badly that they don't play correctly (overcooking a 3 wood and blasting it off the edge of a guardrail 40 yards above the hole will do significant damage to a ProV1).  This year I've gotten two rounds + out of a ball a couple of times, then made up for it by losing 5 in a late fall round.  

I'm buying most of them from LostGolfballs.com or Maxfli Tour from Golf Galaxy so I'm not going broke on balls this year.

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I never buy any new balls:

1)  I find more than I lose.

2)  I take lots of risks (as I don't care if I lose a ball).  so balls last a round or two.

3) type/brand of ball doesn't really affect my game.

I can drive 230yd using ProV-1 or range balls.  perhaps brand names go further???  I've never measured; as 10 yards either way off the tee won't change my overall score.   I do think I can work the ball better using a ProV-1, though... (TBD) 

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

As a guess, I would say about 6 rounds.  Don’t lose balls very often.  Will take ball out of play because of scuff marks.   I also find balls and clean them up.  Generally end up removing balls from my bag because I have too many!

I am a regular and frequent golfer.  I have played in 16 states and 4 countries.

My bucket list is to play in all 50 states.  I am an “A” flight golfer in my golf club.