TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do I convince my golf buddies it's time to change tee boxes?

On 11/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bulldog said:

I'm the coordinator of a golf group that plays once a week.  We have 18 guys in the group.  Most, including me, are retired and 65+.  Week play a local course three weeks in a row, then take field trip to other courses in the area on the fourth week.  

At our home course, there are three tee boxes - blue (6565 yards), white (6026 yards), and red (5286 yards). We play the white tees.  You know what's coming...  Some of the guys can hit drives in the 230 - 245 range (I'm fortunate to still being that group).  Some struggle to get 200 yards on their drives - let's call them limited hitters.  Golf can be frustrating, but it's especially hard when you have no chance of getting a green in regulation.  It also leads higher scores and to slower play.

Last winter, I broached the subject of changing tee boxes to make the game more enjoyable.  That conversation didn't get very far.  One week, on a windy day when the fairways were damp and soft, I said, "Let's play the red tees today."  So we did.  At the end of the round, the torches and pitchforks came out.  Some thought it was OK to play the red tees when the weather was bad, especially hitting into the wind on a long par 3, but several made it clear that they were not happy, including some of the limited hitters.  Over time, I kept chipping away at the issue and was able to convince the group that, at least, we should shorten two holes - a 402 yard par 4 and a 541 yard par 5.  So, now we play the red tees on those two holes. No complaints! So, I suggested playing a modified red/white tee box combo, but they said that would too confusing to keep track of on the course. 

So, here's my analysis - male ego.  The red tees are the "ladies tees".  So, do I continue on the quest to make golf fun again, or close my eyes when I see a 192 yard drive on a 395 yard par 4.  I have a few ideas to try, but maybe some of you have better suggestions.  

I basically ran into the same thing on loosing distance due to age and a back injury. My course has 5 sets of tees. We have Blue White Gold Green and Red. I had been playing the gold which are "age apporiate" for me at 5643 at sea level. I found I was hitting like a 7 wood into par 4s sometime a 3 wood into par 4s after a good drive. I had been playing the Super Senior green tees at 5120 at sea level with the persimmon woods and found out I was in better position there than with the modern from the gold tees. On 2 of our par 5s I could not hit the drive far enough to set my second shot over the hazard. Would have to lay up and have 160 165 into a par 4 for a 3rd shot. That is not fun IMHO. I started playing the Green Tees with the modern stuff and had more reasonable shots into greens with scoring opportunities. I talked to the owners of my course who are both PGAA pros and told them I was playing from the green tees from now on and if anyone objected I would no longer play the shootouts or 9 and dines. To put things in perspective I only hit a driver around 210 220 anymore and maybe 225 when I nut one. One of the guys produced a USGA chart reccomending yardages in relatonship to driver distance. My distance the reccomended yardage is 5320 so at sea level it levels out for me. My pros told me to play from the green tees if I desired and anyone with a problem should see them. Our membership is sorta tight knit and all the members know what I have went through and no one has a problem. We did have a question from an outsider the other week and one of my fellow members stepped in and told him that I was lucky to even be playing and not to worry about what I was doing. Most of the time if we have any problems it is caused by outside non members. My fellow member also told the guy if he was that serious that he should find another venue to play in and or keep his butt in North Myrtle Beach. I was going to quit until I was at least 70 and "eligible" to move to the green tees. But now I have ammo from both the USGA and PGAOA to support my decision not that I cared to begin with

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I think gender bias greatly contributes to the issue.   Here's what's my guys see on the scorecard :

Hole                            1         2        3        4...18      Total Yardage

Blue                          399   378    335       ...           6565

Combo                     372    349   335       ...           6293

White                        372   349    307       ...           6026

Men's Handicap       3        7          9          ...

Bob                                                                                             

Charlie                                                                                        

Tim                                                                                             

Steve                                                                                          

Red                           334    319     283        ...          5286

Ladies Handicap      7          9        13          ...

So, according to the scorecard, the red tees are the ladies tees - period. The GM is a great guy.  I'm going to talk to him about it and ask for his advice.  Adding a set of senior tees would be great.  I'm not sure how feasible that would be. 

At your course, ladies cannot play from the white, combo, or blue tees? 😁

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had they not stuck "Ladies" and "Seniors" labels on the tees and recommended tee boxes as per driving distance capabilities we would have less problems. Tee boxes have nothing to do with gender or age.

However, people will be the same in the fact that they don't want to admit or believe they can't hit the ball as far as they think or feel embarrassment moving forward.

Edited by Muckinfiddle

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I'm 71 and golf was becoming less fun hitting from the whites so I had a little talk with myself and thought to put my ego aside and give the forward tees a try. That move changed my entire outlook on the game and my abilities. This forward tee move persuaded my playing partner to move as well but it took him awhile to move forward but we shaved several strokes off our scores and made this great game a whole lotta fun again. I strongly suggest you take the steps forward and once your buddies see your scores go down and how much fun you're having maybe they'll toss their egos aside too. Good luck and enjoy the game again.

This is very good discussion. We have 5 set of tees at my home club and we do not call red tees as ladies tees, just Red Tees. Many Seniors enjoy playing from it. I'm 61 with HC of +1 and I play mostly from white tees but will play from blues or gold tees if my playing partners wishes. I did shoot some outrageous scores(a 60 & couple 61's) from Red tees that was fun though. I don't care which tees as long as golf is enjoyable. My drives carries around 250-260 yds.

Blues 6950, Whites 6250, Gold 5600, Reds 5300, Lavender(for Senior Ladies) 4700.

Yes, I do see few golfers that has a big "Male Ego" that refuses to move up. They often tend to bog down the pace of play.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym 3HL & hybrid 21*

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I'm 65 and have some back issues. Rather than quit, I moved up a set of tees. My average drive now is about 192 total. I read on this website named milesofgolf.com how you can decide what set of tees you should be playing from. The formula is your average drive x 28. So 192x28=5376 yards. So I play the tees that are the closest to that. I'm having FUN again, which is what you're supposed to be doing when playing golf, and I'm also scoring well again… why? Because I'm playing the appropriate set of tees. In my foursome we have a young man who, I'm not kidding, gets it out there 300-315 yards regularly and somewhat accurately, he plays from the back tees, another gent who plays from the middle tees who hits it around the 230-240. I play from the tees one set back from the forward tees (5500 yards). We always have competitive matches because we all play from the right tees according to our distances. It's nothing but vanity that keeps us from playing the right set of tees. In my opinion I think getting rid of the gold and red tees and making them different colors would help psychologically reset golfers minds and make playing the forward tees more palatable. Perhaps you can share that milesofgolf.com website to your members and seeing the formula for the proper distance will give them a valid reason to go their appropriate tees. Good luck spreading the word! 

Why does everyone have to play from the same tees?   That's why you have handicaps, to offset things like that.  As long as each player consistently plays from the same tees, the handicap will even things out.

We have a group of about 30 or 40.  Our course has 4 sets of tee boxes (blue, white, yellow, and red), and generally where you tee from is based on age.  I'm over 70, so I go from the yellow, over 80 goes from the red.  Some guys have moved-up earlier than their age would normally dictate because of some physical issues; they may have a slight handicap advantage for a couple of weeks, but that goes away pretty soon.

Yes, we old guys need to get over it. Recently a few courses in my area have recolored the tees; so what were the white tees, now are the blue tees - it seems to work on a lot of people. This is the opposite of 25 years ago when blue tees were recolored to white tees. Moving to forward tees does create a new set of problems, like bunkers and hazards that were not in play before coming into play. Shorter may not be easier until you learn the lines.

The tee problem with your group is very simple to solve.  The general rule of thumb (and they should make it mandatory), is NO ONE plays from the Blue Tees unless there handicap is 10 or under!  If your buddies were actually good golfers (I mean knowledgeable), they would already be abiding by this unwritten rule (which used to be posted on some courses on the first tee box).  End of story, end of discussion.

There is good data to support tee box selection based on launch monitor data, golf course data, and handicap/skill. Unfortunately, ego, or more accurately male ego, creates faulty decision-making.

https://www.longleafteesystem.com/

Longleaf Tee System (2).png

https://shotscope.com/us/golf-improvement/

Distribution-of-Driving-Distances-1536x931.jpg

Driver-performance-average-by-handicap-P-Avg-768x570.jpg

Edited by WFWP91

“Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all.”-- Muhammad Ali

⛳ WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD Gloss 70;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD LE 60; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; Wedges: S23, 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, One Step, Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; -Vessel Tour stand bag; Pro LX+ with H4; 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

The course where I caddie and also play most frequently has 7 different tee options, none of them colored red. The most forward tees have a total yardage of 5,100, but given the elevation and hazards on many holes, even that set plays longer. 
But despite us not having “Ladies Tees”, the majority of mid to high index males insist on playing from one or two teebox sets farther back than they should. Then they struggle to break 100, and complain about the course being “unfair”! Purely ego-driven. 
I caddied for a decent player from the east coast, two separate rounds. The first day he insisted on playing one tee box forward of the tips, and shot 94. Bummed out, said he wasn’t looking forward to coming back. Round 2, I led him to the next forward set of tees; he played to his handicap, had a great time, and shot 76. 
And have many here pointed out, pace of play really suffers when golfers don’t play from the appropriate tees. 

Good topic.  You received quite a bit of feedback.   The hybrid tee box was a good solution; however, it would have been nice to hear that the complainers were moved to the long tee boxes whilst everyone else had the added advantage of playing the shorter tees and winning every week.  

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

On the same line of thought, I play with a group who are mostly seniors. There are courses where we play that have senior tees. It took me a while to convince everyone that we should be playing the senior tees ( those over 70). We are all in our 70's and 80's,  and I am 77. It opened up a whole new world for us. Instead of hitting driver, three wood, long or short iron to the green on par fours, or driver, three wood, three wood, short or long  iron on par 5's we are hitting driver, long iron or short iron to the green. Before, I could have left my 7,8, and 9 irons home and I wouldn't have missed them (except on some par threes). It's certainly brought a lot of the fun back into the game! If everyone had a handicap (which some of group doesn't) we could use that as a reason to move up, but at over 70 don't let your ego stop you from having more fun on the golf course! It also speeds up pace of play for everyone.

Driver- Ping G425 SFT senior flex

3 wood - Ping G425 SFT senior flex

5 wood Ping G410 SFT senior flex

5 Ping G425 5 hybrid senior flex

6 - gap wedge - Ping G425 irons orange code senior flex

56* sand wedge- 60 lob wedge- Kirkland 

Putter- Odyssey  

On 11/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bulldog said:

I'm the coordinator of a golf group that plays once a week.  We have 18 guys in the group.  Most, including me, are retired and 65+.  Week play a local course three weeks in a row, then take field trip to other courses in the area on the fourth week.  

At our home course, there are three tee boxes - blue (6565 yards), white (6026 yards), and red (5286 yards). We play the white tees.  You know what's coming...  Some of the guys can hit drives in the 230 - 245 range (I'm fortunate to still being that group).  Some struggle to get 200 yards on their drives - let's call them limited hitters.  Golf can be frustrating, but it's especially hard when you have no chance of getting a green in regulation.  It also leads higher scores and to slower play.

Last winter, I broached the subject of changing tee boxes to make the game more enjoyable.  That conversation didn't get very far.  One week, on a windy day when the fairways were damp and soft, I said, "Let's play the red tees today."  So we did.  At the end of the round, the torches and pitchforks came out.  Some thought it was OK to play the red tees when the weather was bad, especially hitting into the wind on a long par 3, but several made it clear that they were not happy, including some of the limited hitters.  Over time, I kept chipping away at the issue and was able to convince the group that, at least, we should shorten two holes - a 402 yard par 4 and a 541 yard par 5.  So, now we play the red tees on those two holes. No complaints! So, I suggested playing a modified red/white tee box combo, but they said that would too confusing to keep track of on the course. 

So, here's my analysis - male ego.  The red tees are the "ladies tees".  So, do I continue on the quest to make golf fun again, or close my eyes when I see a 192 yard drive on a 395 yard par 4.  I have a few ideas to try, but maybe some of you have better suggestions.  

At least you have a choice! On my winter golf tour, ALL golfers, regardless of age or ability, must play from the same tees. There are 40+ pros and scratch golfers in the “open” division (gross only, no handicaps), but there can be anywhere from 36 to 56 golfers who play in the “senior net” division, depending on the course that we are playing that week, and the rest of the 120 player field play in the “amateur net” division, comprised mostly of decent amateur golfers aged 35 to 55 years with handicaps between 1 and 12. The oldest player just turned 95, and we have many players in the senior division who are between 75 and 88 years old (I turn 74 this winter, and have seen my handicap rise from 11 to almost 16 in the past few years, giving me a course handicap as high as a 20 or even higher from the tees that we play.

Yesterday’s event was a perfect example of what playing from a mix of blue and white (or in some cases, all blue) tees does to the senior and even some of the younger amateur golfers. We had several par-4 holes that played between 395 and 410 yards, and one that played at 446 yards (they actually moved the tees up a bit, as the blue tees are normally about 465 yards), and two par-5s that were at least 530 yards, plus an uphill par-3 to a small domed green that was 198 yards (moved up from more than 220). There were many scores in the senior division higher than 105, and a few between 110-119. Even in the amateur net division, there were a few scores above 100, including a 103 by a 6-handicap and a 104 by an 8-handicap. Two of the players in my foursome were from the younger amateur division; one shot 99, and the other shot 108 ( both had adjusted course handicaps in the mid- teens from the tees that we played). I’m a longer- hitting senior, and I was driving the ball very well (long and straight) yesterday, but I still shot 90 and had a difficult time getting close to the greens in two on a few longer par-4s, and only reached the green in three on one par-5, plus I came up well short on the two longest par-3s.

When a spot opened up on the Board of this golf tour about 3 months ago, I applied for the position. I had the support of many senior players and more than a few guys in the amateur division, and made it to the final three. In my interview, I was asked my reasons for applying for a position on the Board of Directors, and my answer was, “to bring the perspective of the senior and higher handicap amateur golfers on the tour”. Although the League President and several other Board members said that they liked this, when they voted on who should be added to the Board, the spot went to a college golf coach who plays to a 0 handicap and plays in the amateur gross division.

One of the suggestions that I was prepared to make at my first Board meeting would have been to move seniors up to the gold tees at every course that we play on tour (still longer than 5,800-5,900 yards on some of them), and have separate closest to the pin contests for the seniors (we already have separate senior skins, but if a pro or scratch amateur is age 60+ they can enter in the senior skins by paying an extra fee; I would also like to see this practice end!). The professionals and a few of the scratch and near-scratch amateurs absolutely dominate the skins and CTP competitions at virtually every event, which annoys the senior golfers and high-handicap amateurs. When a mid or high-handicap player has a great hole and makes a birdie, and he then has some 61 year old pro or scratch amateur take away a skin with a “push”, it is particularly frustrating. I have already had this happen to me twice in four events this year, and I can’t even tell you guys how many times it has happened in my five years on this tour. The worst case was in last year’s Tour Championship, where skins pay about 4x what they yield in regular season events. I birdied the toughest par-4 on the course while playing in strong wind and sideways rain, and when I checked the posted scores of all 56 senior golfers in the event, mine was the only birdie. When the skins were posted—NOTHING for hole #8, where I had the birdie (I won the senior division by 6 strokes, by the way, with a net 65). When I questioned why no skin for me, the League Secretary/Treasurer said “golfer X also had a birdie on that hole”. It just so happens that “golfer X” is a scratch amateur age 63 who plays in the open division with the pros (he’s a former tour pro, who played many seasons on the Nike/Hogan Tour).

Rant over …. My point in all of this is that golfers should play the appropriate tees for their game and physical abilities, and they shouldn’t be forced to compete with other golfers who are far out of their golfing peer group!

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Handicaps, as we all know, are adjusted based on which tees are played. At my club, we have a group of up to 20 or so guys (sometimes gals) that play. All skill levels are represented. We do not use handicap strokes, so we're all playing from "scratch". To help even out the field, we allow people to select tees according to their ages...older, up front and younger, farther back. The better golfers usually take the skins, and the older golfers usually win closest to the hole on par 3s. Not perfect, but it works. 

Up and down from anywhere.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:22 PM, vandyland said:

This is a topic I feel passionately about. I was listening the to the "No Putts Given" podcast with Lou Stagner (data analyst at Arccos among other titles) and at the 31:00 mark he mentions a very simple formula for what courses to play:

Your 5 iron carry * 33 or 34 is the total course distance. 

I love this idea. Mostly because I bet many people (mainly men) are playing courses longer than that. For me, I carry a 5 iron about 180 yds. So that is 180 * 33 = 5940 yds. I carry a driver 260 yds. I have no problem playing sub 6,000 yds. It is more fun and, guess what, I still don't shoot below par very often. 

I would say if the majority of your golfing group is breaking 80 from the whites then they should stay there. If not, what are they afraid of? They might make more birdies? They might have more fun? The average second shot distance for a middle of the pack PGA tour player (distance-wise) is 140 yds on a par 4. That's probably a PW or soft 9 iron. If that is how we challenge a TOUR PRO then why should weekly golfers be subjecting themselves to stiffer test than that? Pride?

Good feedback on this topic.  However, I am surprised that you have a driver average carry distance of 260 yards and only 180 yards on a five iron.   With that driving length, you have many really short approach shots with course distance less than 6000 yards.  

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

Most of the golf courses in our area have a senior tee.  When we play, we have a rule that when you turn 70 years of age you have earned the right to play from the gold or silver tees depending on the colors used by the course we are playing.  We have one player that when he turned 80, earned the right to play from the red tee box.  As the members of our golf group grow older, we are excited to take advantage of the advantages of becoming older provides.

WITB  -  Mizuno driver and irons and EVNROLL putter or SEEMORE putter depending on the day.

I started “playing it forward” (from 6123 yds. to 5563yds.) consistently this year.  Most of my regular partners have done the same.  As others have pointed out this move has made the game more fun (I can reach 7/8 par 4s in regulation with a tee shot in the fairway!), and more interesting (seeing the course differently than for the past 20+ years).

We all have experience playing with folks who overstate their ability, cling to memories of past ability, or equate gender with ability and choose to play from tees that seem, to me, to be longer than their current skill level warrants.  But that’s their choice.  Just don’t unduly slow the pace of play.

Play whatever tees you want, I’ll play whatever tees I want.

And, no, I don’t have an unfair advantage in our match.  If we both have legitimate GHIN handicaps, then the software will make the course/tee specific calculations for us.  (The OP didn’t mention anything about the stakes of the game but . . . 🙂.)

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

On 11/21/2022 at 2:01 PM, stcymbol said:

You should try to get the shortest hitters to play from the red tees exclusively and the longer hitters (230+) from the whites exclusively. Everyone will have more fun and your pace of play will be vastly improved. Everyone wins. 

makes sense - hence why there are different tee

JBomb...

On 11/21/2022 at 1:01 PM, stcymbol said:

You should try to get the shortest hitters to play from the red tees exclusively and the longer hitters (230+) from the whites exclusively. Everyone will have more fun and your pace of play will be vastly improved. Everyone wins. 

You could definitely try this. I have a couple of different groups I play in. I’m 42, but still hit it decently long. I play off 3.3. Generally play tips, but play to whatever everyone wants. Play with younger guys that like tips only, but their caps don’t justify tips. In my other group, play with 3 guys that are all within 2-3 years of me & the other 4 are all older. 1 being 62, but plays tips generally bc of his pride. His cap is around mine @4.  He doesn’t hit the ball nearly as far as some of us, but he plots his way around. 2 of the other older guys play seniors, with the lone guy playing blues. Usually if we all play the same tees, we go off caps. If we don’t & everyone plays different tees, we play straight up. We got together & wanted to make it better for everyone in the group. What we came up with was what we call the hard 3. It’s the 3 hardest individual par capped holes, you have the option of moving up a tee. We tried 3 hardest capped to start, but sometimes at our course, that was 2 par 3s & 1 par 4. Some didn’t like that, so we went the hardest cap on each par. So you get the option of moving up a tee, on the hardest par 3, 4, 5. We have changed it up before, & all could just pick 1 of each par. Didn’t have to be the hardest ones, just whatever you wanted. We didn’t this on a Florida trip, where we encountered a 600yd par 5, into the wind, followed up by a 250yd par 3, same wind direction. I know 3 holes doesn’t sound like much & it’s not, but sometimes it’s just enough to get the group over the edge, to really enjoying the game. Golf is hard enough as it is, so anyway you can enjoy it, be like Nike. Just do it!

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

I'm 77.  I play weekly with guys across the handicap spectrum. Two years ago I moved up a set of tees and have enjoyed hitting mid to short irons into par 4's as opposed to 3 woods and hybrids.  It's not a crime to grow old.  Be thankful you have the opportunity.

Bag full of old Ping stuff (K15 irons and hybrids)

Cameron Squareback Select

1. Smart course managers have verified the dilemma and they have new scorecards with "combo" courses and ratings, i.e. Black/Blue; Blue/White; White/Red; Red; Red Yellow.

2. If your players are consistently hitting fairway metals and/or hybrids for second shots, they are playing too deep. Slows everyone down and leaves players frustrated.

3. You might also re-arrange your groups and put the longer hitters on the white tees and the shorter hitters on the red tees...Adjust the handicaps according to the ratings for each tee box.

Just a couple of thoughts on how we handle things...

Golf Gear Head

The whole point of the different tees is to allow players of different abilities to play together on a somewhat equal playing field. Same thing with the handicap system. To your point though people have egos, so look for ways to allow everyone to have fun and be competitive. If your shorter hitters are happy with where they are at and not wanting to switch tees than this is a hard change to make. If they are open to it, then I would say divide the group between longer and shorter hitters play the tee appropriate and go. Evaluate the scores over the course of the three weeks and see if there is a big change. Any player that is worth their salt wants to compete on an even playing field so that it keeps the competition exciting. There are all kinds of games and things that you can play to mix shorter hitters with longer ones for added spice.

For the love of the game!

Josiah

43 minutes ago, in3948 said:

Good feedback on this topic.  However, I am surprised that you have a driver average carry distance of 260 yards and only 180 yards on a five iron. 

@in3948   Yep, I have always wondered about that myself. Driver swing speed is 104-106 mph. My irons are traditionally lofted and steel shafted so my 5 iron is 26* but my 7 iron carry (34* 7 iron) is about 160 which has always felt a bit short compared to my peers (though some of them have 7 irons that are 31* of loft which explains the difference) but I do still have about a 10 yd incremental increase from 7 iron to 6 iron to 5 iron. 

45 minutes ago, in3948 said:

With that driving length, you have many really short approach shots with course distance less than 6000 yards.  

In general yes, which makes golf infinitely more enjoyable for me. The last 9 holes I played out there I had approach distances in regulation of:

81 yds (par 4) - SW
82 yds (par 5) - SW
150 yds (par 3) - 8i
64 yds (par 4) - SW
122 yds (par 4) - PW
165 yds (par 3) - 6i
58 yds (par 4) - SW
59 yds (par 4) - SW
170 yds (par 4) - 6i

So avg approach left on par 4s of 92 yds (which is a soft GW for me). Guess what? I still shot 3 over, haha. I have never subscribed to the notion that I need to "hit all the clubs in my bag". Golf is hard as hell even if you have a wedge into most greens. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Talk to your golf buddies about the PGA tour vs. the Champions (i.e. Senior) tour course differences. The Champions tour does not play the same distances that the PGA tour does and the tee box and hole placements are easier as well. Ask them why that is? I would encourage your home course to start a set off yellow or silver tees so the men can save some pride as opposed to hitting of the women's tees.

Edited by Korban61

1023488378_BrianPBigham.JPG.42ede97264d0c09f186c43ed094a1a29.JPG

Ask for volunteers and group accordingly. Those who want to will and those who don't won't.

All will enjoy their self determination.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

I play on a 9 hole senior league with only small cash prizes ($5 each for closest on par 3's, longest drive, longest putt and low net) and pretty loose rules IMHO (it's a "fun" league). We seem to have the opposite problem from most of what I've read. Most of our guys want to move up as quickly as possible even though based on driving distance, a couple shouldn't. I'm in that group (SS Performance avg of 243) and prefer to play one back; I guess that's ego, but I like to challenge myself while I still can. And while I'm the 2nd longest driver of the ball, the guy who is the longest plays forward and they always seem to pick a par 5 with the huge difference in tee yardage (55-65 yards). Even without considering that the longest hitter plays forward, I'm not even close to 65 yards longer than the average of the others. So, to make it as fair as they can, we all are allowed to play from the same tees on the money holes (we have no ringers so everyone playing the shorter tee on par 3s isn't inappropriate), otherwise you can play whatever tee you want on every hole. I still believe they should pick a different long drive hole since I don't think it's fair for the shorter hitters to play from the same tee as the #1 driver and me. But it's tough giving up 65 yards before you even swing the club. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice