TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do I convince my golf buddies it's time to change tee boxes?

I run a large group as well. My group though is a scratch group with players from 30 to 74. Handicaps are plus 5 to 5. We do not use handicaps other then when I set the games up to make the teams total handicaps as equal as I can. For tees we use these rules. 
Professionals or amateurs less than 40 with plus handicap: Play V tees (6900 yards) 

Rule of 50: Age plus handicap is less than 50: Play 4/5 combo (6700 yds)

Rule of 70: Age plus handicap > 70: Play 3/4 combo (6250 yards)

All others play 4 tees ((6500 yards) 

I make no decisions on individual players based on their length. Age and handicap drives the tee decision. 

41 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

Most of our guys want to move up as quickly as possible even though based on driving distance, a couple shouldn't.

It really doesn't matter because the difficulty is calculated for the tees regardless. We have a guy that is borderline on distance but likes the "shorter" tees. One of our overly opinionated knuckleheads has all these made-up rules and says he is too tall and not over 70 to play these tees. It is completely asinine the stuff this guy comes up with let alone what he does on the golf course. For example, he "gives himself putts" over 3-4 feet that count for quota points, all the time. I give him max strokes on the hole. He bitches later that I am taking the fun out of golf and golf is supposed to be fun. Yet he doesn't want people to move up to tees that are more enjoyable to play....

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I'm 75 but still hit the ball 230+ off the tee.  And I'm a 9 handicap.  That's from the gold tees.  If I play good why should I still have to play the white tees? I work hard at my game and others my age don't.  We play from the tees we want and no one says a word.  We enjoy the game.  I wish some of the young beginners would play the shorter tees.  They all go back to the blacks (or blues) and hit it 150 yards two fairways over.  

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

2 hours ago, Dodgersfan33 said:

The whole point of the different tees is to allow players of different abilities to play together on a somewhat equal playing field.

... Not really, although it is a side benefit. Different tees allows golfers to play the course the way the holes are designed. As an extreme example, if your average drive is 225 and it's 230 to clear the water off the tee from the tips it doesn't matter if you are a + index, you have to move up. Every hole is designed for specific shots and as many have said, if some are hitting hybrids or fairway woods on every approach they are playing the wrong tees. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

As mentioned earlier, there's several club distances times a number to get the yardage most golfers should play.  They include 5 iron distance x 36 and driver distance x 28.   There's no doubt that playing from the "correct" tees not only makes the game more fun, but also speeds up play.  The new GHIN handicap system does a better job at adjusting handicaps based on which tees one plays from.  Unfortunately, the people I play with somehow do not realize that this is the case!

I personally have struggled with this same scenario myself.  I'm mid 60's and multiple physical issues that impact my swing and ultimate distance.  I typically hit my driver about 180 yards and five (hybrid) roughly 1405 yards.    Using the formulas, I should be playing tee boxes 5100-5200 yards which would actually put me between the gold and red tee boxes on my home course.  Yet my "playing buddies" insist I play from the 6035 yard white tees.  Their opinions are not swayed even when presented Shot Scope data on my rounds.   I hit almost 80% of the fairways in regulation, but only 13% greens in regulation (77% being short of the green) as most of my approach shots are 150-200 yards out.  Their defense is always you are a great chipper and good putter!  You know, I'd rather not have to be a great at getting up and down just to score!   This fall on deft ears!

It's funny the number of men who have complained in recent years that they can't move up to previously were known as the women's red tees!  Not because their games didn't dictate the move, but our course never had the red tees rated for men.  So, they could not post a score if they indeed played from the red tees.  One of my new volunteer activities is course rating in Southern Florida.  I asked Florida State Golf Association rating people if they could create the men's red tee rating based on data they already collected.  They said yes and a day later we now have men red tee rating.  Now it's funny watching those who should be up to the reds waiting until one of their peers do it, so they don't have to be the first.

I'm also involved with a local golf association that sets up monthly tournaments to have fun and generate funds to support our local high school golf teams.   We struggled with this topic.  We concluded that just because someone can drive it 235 yards doesn't mean they can ultimately score from the tees they are playing from.  There are so many other components to a person's game that contributes to their ultimate handicap.  We ended up with the following local rules:

For these scramble tournaments, we created the sum of handicap and age thresholds for people to move up to the next tee box.  Our course (pardon stereotyping descriptions) has the normal blue tee tips, white for mortal men, golf tees for senior men, red for women and even green tees located in the middle of the fairway for disabled or ultra-high handicap players.  We ended up stating starting points.  All men play from the white tees and all women play from the red.   If a men player's handicap from the gold tees plus their age is 85 or older, they can play the golds.  If a men player's handicap from the red tees plus their age is 95 or over, they can play from the reds.  For men and women players who's handicaps from the green tees plus their age is 100 or over, they can play from the greens.  The key is handicap from that particular tee as handicaps will side South pretty quickly as they move up. 

An unintended consequence resulted in setting these rules.  In our monthly scramble tournaments, we have some very senior players who struggle to hit their driver over 100 yards and 40+ handicaps that struggle with consistency.  In the past these people were considered a liability when they were put on your team.  All of a sudden, these groups of people move up to the very short green tees and they become a valuable asset!  Even if they top their driver, it will likely be longer than a 250 plus yard drive from white tees.  The player moving up has more fun, they are appreciated more from their teammates and everyone contributes.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I've tired to add a rule for the group along the lines of if your handicap is above X, play the red tees, or if your driver distance is below XX, play the red tees.  That dogmatic approach absolutely fails, at least with my guys.   Plain talk and being up front about how our distance gets shorter as we age hasn't worked.  No one wants to be that first guy to move up to the shorter tee box.

So here's my thinking -

Plan A - We have a couple of guys on injured reserve, one due to surgery and another due to a nasty car accident.  I'm going to suggest that these guys be encouraged to play the forward tees when they come back as part of their recuperation process, and if anyone else wants to join them, they are welcome.  

Plan B - I've done some informal polling and pretty much everyone agrees the hole number 5 is their nemesis - a dogleg par 5 with water on the right and left on the tee shot. It's like watching the last hole in the movie "Tin Cup." Balls are splashing everywhere. So, I'm going to try to sell the guys on adding two more red tee holes - one on the front nine and one on the back, selected by the group.  If they still want to play whites tees on those holes, that's OK too.

Change ain't easy...

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

31 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I'm mid 60's and multiple physical issues that impact my swing and ultimate distance.  I typically hit my driver about 180 yards and five (hybrid) roughly 1405 yards.    Using the formulas, I should be playing tee boxes 5100-5200 yards which would actually put me between the gold and red tee boxes on my home course.  Yet my "playing buddies" insist I play from the 6035 yard white tees.

... You need new playing buddies that are actually buddies. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

We have had an issue on our golf league with some holes having forced carries and players not over 70 being able to land ball over the hazards. 
we adopted a local rule players over 70 and players with 12+ handicaps (9 holes) can move up a tee box. Our players have found that rounds are much more enjoyable. At first there was a few hesitant players but after moving up all found that rounds were far more enjoyable without losing golf balls. I am turning 70 this year and looking forward to be able to reach some par 5’s in two! 
BONUS = maybe a few skins this year…..

Rogue driver

M6 fairway #4,#5

Cleveland Halo hybrids #2, #3

Cobra TEC King irons

Cleveland CBX wedges

Odessy ELEVEN TOUR LINED CS PUTTER

Can you make it an option to either play the red or white?  Players choice.  I agree that the ego may not let us make the correct choice.  If given the chance to play the red tees I would take it….once or twice!  Just to change it up!  

Adams Hybrid Irons, Cleveland wedges 50,53,56,60, Nike Method Putter, Callaway 3 wood, Ping g25 Driver.  

14 minutes ago, Michaels48895 said:

We have had an issue on our golf league with some holes having forced carries and players not over 70 being able to land ball over the hazards. 
we adopted a local rule players over 70 and players with 12+ handicaps (9 holes) can move up a tee box. Our players have found that rounds are much more enjoyable. At first there was a few hesitant players but after moving up all found that rounds were far more enjoyable without losing golf balls. I am turning 70 this year and looking forward to be able to reach some par 5’s in two! 
BONUS = maybe a few skins this year…..

That’s another issue that we see with some of the older guys on my winter golf tour. One of the guys in my foursome is 77 years old and he typically hits his driver about 165 yards (total distance including roll-out). He has said many times that anything more than 150 yards of forced carry is too much for him to clear. When there is not a drop zone on the far side of the hazard, which there almost always is not, this guy is totally screwed.  Yesterday, the water hazards were frozen solid for at least the first half of our round, and he was actually trying to skip his tee shots over the frozen ponds. On the third hole that we played (a dogleg right pat-5 with water guarding the dogleg), this didn’t work out for him, as he tried skipping the ball over the pond with two consecutive tee balls. Sort of luckily for him, at least the second tee ball carried over the corner of the pond before kicking right and dropping in and sliding out about 30 yards on the icy surface. He was able to drop about 80-100 yards ahead of our tee box before hitting his 5th shot. I think that he recorded a 10 on that hole. I’m sure that at least two other senior golfers yesterday were unable to carry over that hazard, and the only way to deal with that was to play out severely to the left, adding about 75 to 100 yards to the hole’s playing length, and bringing a creek and some overhanging trees into play on the next two shots.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, Golf2Much said:

As mentioned earlier, there's several club distances times a number to get the yardage most golfers should play.  They include 5 iron distance x 36 and driver distance x 28.   There's no doubt that playing from the "correct" tees not only makes the game more fun, but also speeds up play.  The new GHIN handicap system does a better job at adjusting handicaps based on which tees one plays from.  Unfortunately, the people I play with somehow do not realize that this is the case!

I personally have struggled with this same scenario myself.  I'm mid 60's and multiple physical issues that impact my swing and ultimate distance.  I typically hit my driver about 180 yards and five (hybrid) roughly 1405 yards.    Using the formulas, I should be playing tee boxes 5100-5200 yards which would actually put me between the gold and red tee boxes on my home course.  Yet my "playing buddies" insist I play from the 6035 yard white tees.  Their opinions are not swayed even when presented Shot Scope data on my rounds.   I hit almost 80% of the fairways in regulation, but only 13% greens in regulation (77% being short of the green) as most of my approach shots are 150-200 yards out.  Their defense is always you are a great chipper and good putter!  You know, I'd rather not have to be a great at getting up and down just to score!   This fall on deft ears!

It's funny the number of men who have complained in recent years that they can't move up to previously were known as the women's red tees!  Not because their games didn't dictate the move, but our course never had the red tees rated for men.  So, they could not post a score if they indeed played from the red tees.  One of my new volunteer activities is course rating in Southern Florida.  I asked Florida State Golf Association rating people if they could create the men's red tee rating based on data they already collected.  They said yes and a day later we now have men red tee rating.  Now it's funny watching those who should be up to the reds waiting until one of their peers do it, so they don't have to be the first.

I'm also involved with a local golf association that sets up monthly tournaments to have fun and generate funds to support our local high school golf teams.   We struggled with this topic.  We concluded that just because someone can drive it 235 yards doesn't mean they can ultimately score from the tees they are playing from.  There are so many other components to a person's game that contributes to their ultimate handicap.  We ended up with the following local rules:

For these scramble tournaments, we created the sum of handicap and age thresholds for people to move up to the next tee box.  Our course (pardon stereotyping descriptions) has the normal blue tee tips, white for mortal men, golf tees for senior men, red for women and even green tees located in the middle of the fairway for disabled or ultra-high handicap players.  We ended up stating starting points.  All men play from the white tees and all women play from the red.   If a men player's handicap from the gold tees plus their age is 85 or older, they can play the golds.  If a men player's handicap from the red tees plus their age is 95 or over, they can play from the reds.  For men and women players who's handicaps from the green tees plus their age is 100 or over, they can play from the greens.  The key is handicap from that particular tee as handicaps will side South pretty quickly as they move up. 

An unintended consequence resulted in setting these rules.  In our monthly scramble tournaments, we have some very senior players who struggle to hit their driver over 100 yards and 40+ handicaps that struggle with consistency.  In the past these people were considered a liability when they were put on your team.  All of a sudden, these groups of people move up to the very short green tees and they become a valuable asset!  Even if they top their driver, it will likely be longer than a 250 plus yard drive from white tees.  The player moving up has more fun, they are appreciated more from their teammates and everyone contributes.

I like those formulas, and they certainly work well for me. With my “winter distances” (170 yards with 5 iron, 220 max with driver, unless the turf is frozen), that would result in an 18-hole playing distance range of 6,120 to 6,160 yards. In warmer summer conditions, my yardage with both 5i and driver increases by at least 8-10%, and I have no problem playing 6,450 to 6,600 yard courses. However, I play with plenty of guys who should be playing red tees at 4,620 to 5,040 yards.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

5 hours ago, Muckinfiddle said:

Had they not stuck "Ladies" and "Seniors" labels on the tees and recommended tee boxes as per driving distance capabilities we would have less problems. Tee boxes have nothing to do with gender or age.

However, people will be the same in the fact that they don't want to admit or believe they can't hit the ball as far as they think or feel embarrassment moving forward.

This is absolutely spot on!

It is funny how the tips are easily avoided by most golfers. The "regular tees" are fine to play from but anything forward is senior's or women's. Why isn't age included with the tips? Technically only the pros should be playing the tips then? No, people think you should have the distance play the tips but you have to be over 70 or a woman to play the forward tees... 🤪

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I run a league during the summer. I let the guys play from whichever tee they feel the most comfortable, either the Blue, White, or Yellow. It is up to them although I give guidelines about which to chose. I have one person who is 86 and we let him play from the reds. Age has its privilege!! The players do not seem to have any issues with this and few complain. 

I would suggest leaving it up to each player and let them decide. If they see you playing from the forward tee, some may do so also.

Ping G425 driver

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G30 4 & 5 & 7 hybrids

Maltby 8 - GW  & Cleveland 52 wedge

Wilson putter 

Srixon Z-star ball

On 11/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bulldog said:

I'm the coordinator of a golf group that plays once a week.  We have 18 guys in the group.  Most, including me, are retired and 65+.  Week play a local course three weeks in a row, then take field trip to other courses in the area on the fourth week.  

At our home course, there are three tee boxes - blue (6565 yards), white (6026 yards), and red (5286 yards). We play the white tees.  You know what's coming...  Some of the guys can hit drives in the 230 - 245 range (I'm fortunate to still being that group).  Some struggle to get 200 yards on their drives - let's call them limited hitters.  Golf can be frustrating, but it's especially hard when you have no chance of getting a green in regulation.  It also leads higher scores and to slower play.

Last winter, I broached the subject of changing tee boxes to make the game more enjoyable.  That conversation didn't get very far.  One week, on a windy day when the fairways were damp and soft, I said, "Let's play the red tees today."  So we did.  At the end of the round, the torches and pitchforks came out.  Some thought it was OK to play the red tees when the weather was bad, especially hitting into the wind on a long par 3, but several made it clear that they were not happy, including some of the limited hitters.  Over time, I kept chipping away at the issue and was able to convince the group that, at least, we should shorten two holes - a 402 yard par 4 and a 541 yard par 5.  So, now we play the red tees on those two holes. No complaints! So, I suggested playing a modified red/white tee box combo, but they said that would too confusing to keep track of on the course. 

So, here's my analysis - male ego.  The red tees are the "ladies tees".  So, do I continue on the quest to make golf fun again, or close my eyes when I see a 192 yard drive on a 395 yard par 4.  I have a few ideas to try, but maybe some of you have better suggestions.  

IMG_0552.jpg

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Hello.  It’s a tough job convincing an ole buddy to move to the next set of tees.  At our club-Cypress Lake Golf Club- our Pro suggests that if you need to hit more than a 5 iron on your second shot into the par four first hole you should move to the next set of forward tees.  This works well for us.

21 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Everyone under 60 plays from the regular tees, everyone from 60 to 69 plays from the senior tees and everyone 70 and older plays from the front tees (ladies or beginner tees).  If your ego won't let you move up when the time comes, you are only hurting your team.  And a 70 year old has a much better chance of making birdies from the front tees than the senior tees.  All this is to say, start playing a team game that makes everyone's score count and I bet you'll find folks see the light.

+1. The senior league I played in before I moved did something very similar. Any player 60 or under played whites (5843 yds), those 61-69 played golds (5642 yds), and 70 and over played reds (5168 yds). But if your handicap on those tees was above X (I can't remember what the number was), you were automatically moved up to the next shorter tees for the season. It really worked pretty well. And it was better for pairings too, players foursomes were kept together by tees as much as possible.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Insert sarcasm: payoff the grounds crew to set your tees way way back for a couple rounds so it's difficult to even reach a fairway 😉

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

13 minutes ago, Golfermike said:

I give guidelines about which to chose

That might be another strategy to try.  The USGA's Tee It Forward program has recommended numbers based on average driver distance. Might help if the guys see some "official" recommendations.

16 minutes ago, Golfermike said:

If they see you playing from the forward tee, some may do so also.

My dilemma is that I'm one of the longer hitters in the group (I'm not complaining 😀).

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

1 minute ago, Mackey said:

This is a sign that my gang ran into on a trip to Florida.   The starter simply ask the handicap of the worst player in the group and told you which box they expected you to play.  What we discussed that night was just like your group.  We are of similar ages to your group.  The best point made was that when a designer puts together the course it will have long and short par 4s and the par threes should be mixed short and long.  What we finally agreed was that for as long as we have played together the longest hitters tend to score best because they hit far more short irons.  We realized that the designers of the course want us to hit short irons on the designed short holes and longer irons or woods on the longer holes.  We didn't want parity and we did want competitive rounds for all of us.  We now look at the yardages hole by hole and you play the box where you can drive a good drive to an 8 iron or less on the short par 4s and we also look at the par 3 yardages we don't want some guys hitting a 7 iron and others hitting a 3 wood.  We just mix the tee boxes based on completive yardages.  We used one of the guys Arrcos at the range and  figured out everyone's average stock 7 iron yardage and driver.  We determined that short par 4 tee boxes should be no more than driver, 7 iron on average. 

IMG_0552.jpg

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

This simple calculation has stood the test of time and applies to all skill levels.  --Take you true 5 iron distance and multiply by 36. That's your optimum 18 hole yardage.  ie. your 5 iron is 160 x 36 = 5700-5800 yds.  PGA Pro=. 5 iron 210x36= 7500 yds.  Give it a try.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x
6 hours ago, WFWP91 said:

There is good data to support tee box selection based on launch monitor data, golf course data, and handicap/skill. Unfortunately, ego, or more accurately male ego, creates faulty decision-making.

https://www.longleafteesystem.com/

Longleaf Tee System (2).png

https://shotscope.com/us/golf-improvement/

Distribution-of-Driving-Distances-1536x931.jpg

Driver-performance-average-by-handicap-P-Avg-768x570.jpg

In my opinion that is waaaay too long of distances for most people. I hit the ball between 250-275 and there is no chance I play from 6600+ and have fun.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Insert sarcasm: payoff the grounds crew to set your tees way way back for a couple rounds so it's difficult to even reach a fairway 😉

Yea then they have to hear it from everyone else.. I know you are being facetious but that would be the uproar

52 minutes ago, vandyland said:

In my opinion that is waaaay too long of distances for most people. I hit the ball between 250-275 and there is no chance I play from 6600+ and have fun.

6600 isn't so bad with that distance depending on the slope.

In my Vessel bag:

9 hours ago, Muckinfiddle said:

Had they not stuck "Ladies" and "Seniors" labels on the tees and recommended tee boxes as per driving distance capabilities we would have less problems. Tee boxes have nothing to do with gender or age.

However, people will be the same in the fact that they don't want to admit or believe they can't hit the ball as far as they think or feel embarrassment moving forward.

Actually the USGA guide line chart I saw says nothing about age or handicap. it just deals with driver distance. Now I will admit when I turned 50 I did not move up still played the tips and I did not want to admit it but it was beginning to be a strugle. A young pro friend of mine that I had mentored and helped pass his PAT test for his card talked to me on that. He was correct and I put the man card away and moved up. When I turned 60 which is the guide lines here I did not hesitate to go to the Gold tees. After my injury and hurting myself several times chasing distance I decided to move up age be dammed. I had the attitude if anyone did not like it they could kiss my you know what. Like I said we have a tight knit bunch of members and everyone knows my plight and the fact I am lucky to be walking much less playing golf and have no problem.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Mackey said:

IMG_0552.jpg

A couple of courses here in this Tourist and Retirement Mecca tried that but off of handicap. It did not work out and play suffered. The problem at most courses down here is the arrogant tourist golfers blow into town with their tour van look and will try to play the furtherst tees back. LOL If you are in the resturants at night and listen to them talking they will say like " That ( insert name of course) really kicked our butts today from the tips I shot like 110 and Joe shot 115" I am like what fun can that be??? I know a bunch of guys that are rangers and they are told to "somewhat keep play moving but do not piss off the tourists"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Consider working with course owner to set a hybrid course. Red tees for par 4’s over 350 yards and par 5’s over 440 yards. As well as par 3’s over 150-160 yards. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Actually the USGA guide line chart I saw says nothing about age or handicap.

They probably don't or if they did they probably changed it. It is the golf courses that label the tees men's or womens at this point.

In my Vessel bag: