TESTERS WANTED! ×

Divots splashing up into face.

bcnyr09

I know this sounds like a crazy topic to post, but I've had a huge problem over the past year. Particularly on packed down fairways and grass ranges, I find the divot shooting upwards into my face. A quick fix was just wearing sunglasses but I don't want to be the guy wearing sunglasses when its pouring. I've reviewed my swing with my club pro on video and I'm not too far over or in front of the ball. Basically the thought of the divot hitting me in the face has caused me to back off or pull up on shots. Anyone have this happen to you or have any tips?

I take a divot with every iron or wedge shot and have only had the divots hit me in the face when I hit it fat or sort of quit on it. Failed to follow through, I doubt that you got to be a 1.8 handicap by not following through or hitting it too fat all the time. I have a problem with my left leg getting dirtier than my right but that is not that much of a problem. I have a nice 4 to 6 inch divot that lands about 15 feet in front of me 99% of the time.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

:lol: sorry, I had to laugh when I read the topic :P

I hardly get any divots, but I'm trying to improve that this season.

Just like RR, I get stuff on my face when I hit it fat on a hard, dry course. I damaged a pair of sunglasses this way... glad it was the sunglasses and not my eyes :blink:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Only advice I have for you is to close your mouth when you swing!

This seems to happen to me often enough. I at least know not to wear a white shirt if it is wet out at all, and I have to clean dirt and grass off my sunglasses at least once a round.

I don't really take a big divot most of the time, usually its just like a playing card size patch that tends to not hold together but more like explodes. Usually when I end up wearing it, its a good shot so I don't mind it so much.

You could always wear a helmet.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

You could always wear a helmet.

LOL.

This happens to me all the time, but it doesn't bother me. I have had a lady say "you're hitting me with your divots", to which I replied "you're standing straight downwind of a 20mph wind, if you don't like it move"; well, thats what I said after her 3rd comment, I just said "sorry" the first two.

only time I've put the grass or sand into my face is on really awkward shots and/or into the wind.

not that you need to change gear, but I'd be curious if you played different clubs for a day, what the result would be.

Yeah I used to play X22 Tour's and just recently updated to 712 cb's. The same problem with both irons. I have noticed it mostly happening on shots where the turf is stomped or packed down. I recently played down in Myrtle Beach where the bermuda rough is dormant and pretty packed down and it happened so many times that I would lay up to about 220 so I could hit hybrid in. Needless to say my golf game is pretty rough right now haha.

Yeah I used to play X22 Tour's and just recently updated to 712 cb's. The same problem with both irons. I have noticed it mostly happening on shots where the turf is stomped or packed down. I recently played down in Myrtle Beach where the bermuda rough is dormant and pretty packed down and it happened so many times that I would lay up to about 220 so I could hit hybrid in. Needless to say my golf game is pretty rough right now haha.

Doggone if I know the answer to that one. I do hit down and trap the ball but unless the course was wet I have never had that happen. When you were in Myrtle Beach you were in my neck of the woods. Where did you play?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Doggone if I know the answer to that one. I do hit down and trap the ball but unless the course was wet I have never had that happen. When you were in Myrtle Beach you were in my neck of the woods. Where did you play?

I went down with my college golf team and stayed at the Legends resort so we played Heathland, Moreland, Parkland, Oyster Bay, and Heritage and we also played in a tournament at the Barefoot Norman course. The norman course had the best greens I've played in a long, long time.

I want you to know you have me paying attention to the divots that blow back now. Play the last few days in 25-30 mph winds. Of course anytime you play in that much wind the divots blow back. Every darned time it happens I think of this thread. But when you are hitting a 5 iron into the wind on a 145 yard hole and an 8 iron from 170 you you have much more to consider.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 3 weeks later...

I went down with my college golf team and stayed at the Legends resort so we played Heathland, Moreland, Parkland, Oyster Bay, and Heritage and we also played in a tournament at the Barefoot Norman course. The norman course had the best greens I've played in a long, long time.

Outstanding I know you really had a good time all those are great courses!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I used to live in Myrtle Beach and yes I have gotten some splash up in the face. The soil in Myrtle Beach is very sand based soil it can get hard packed but as the club passes through lose chunks blow off the divot and go everywhere. This same effect can also happen in extremely wet conditions as well, not sure if you have ever caught mud in the face after a swing in the rain.

I have noticed that for me that it can happen when I am taking a super step angle of attack sort of like a 'digger' angle of attack and the club digs hard and has trouble coming up and out of the divot causing the club head to slow down during turf interaction.

I am not sure of your angle of attack but from the sounds of it not happening on longer clubs and it happening on shorter ones I would have to guess it is from step angle of attack.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived