Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

100 year old metal clubs found at estate sale

I picked up a set of J H Taylor Irons at an estate sale yesterday.   Very Old.  They are in really good shape and was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on value or any history involved.  I think they are about 100 years old.  The ball storage sleave had 9 golf balls that date back to the 20's.   And one golf ball had square dimples.  The irons are a 2-8 set, with an additional 10 iron, but I think the 10 iron is actually a putter, very low loft...   The metal shaft is made to look like bamboo...   Any info would be much appreciated.   tx!

20221121_221043.jpg

20221121_221058.jpg

20221121_221203.jpg

Callaway Rogue - Aero-Whip Swing Speed/Tempo

IIRC, painting shafts to look like hickory was done in the 30’s when steel shafts were introduced. Presumably, some people thought they were more attractive or perhaps they thought steel was cheap looking.  I would be surprised if they are worth very much.  You can find forums online devoted to vintage golf clubs.  One of those folks would know.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

And a number of shafts were, for lack of a better term "sleeved" with an acetate over the raw steel shaft.  I'm guessing cost was an issue and the use of chrome plated shafts wasn't as common as it is today.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

• 2 months later...
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Thanks for the feeds folks.   one thing i forgot to mention is that the set came with an original leather bag.  And inside that bag were 10 golf balls, a few of them were square dimpled balls.   very old, very cool, and lots of smiley's on most of the balls.   Also, there were about 10 wooden tees.   very short, i'm guessing from that period too,  around 90 years old   This will make a great wall hanger once I get the bag reconditioned and cleaned up.

Callaway Rogue - Aero-Whip Swing Speed/Tempo