TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sponsor issues brewing on the LPGA Tour?

MGoBlue100

From Alex Myers, Golf Digest:

LPGA-sponsor dinner drama: The CEO and chairman of CME Group, Terry Duffy, had some pretty spicy words for the LPGA after an awkward situation at a pre-tournament event at the Ritz-Carlton’s Triburon Golf Club. Apparently, Duffy wanted to highlight some of the best golfers in the world during a speech, but when they panned to the audience, none of the 11 who had RSVP’d were there. Ouch. “It’s an embarrassment to a company of my size and an embarrassment to me personally,” Duffy told Golfweek’s Beth Ann Nichols. And he added, “I am exceptionally disappointed with the leadership of the LPGA. They better get their act together because they’re going to lose people like me over stuff like this.”

Look, no one likes going to corporate gigs, but it’s part of the gig. And people like him are the reason they were handing out $2 million to the winner on Sunday. When you’re a tour fighting for more recognition/exposure/prize money, you should go even more out of your way in this area. Of course, LPGA commissioner Molly Marcoux Samaan deserves most of the blame. That's just how it goes when you're in charge.

Edited by MGoBlue100
Credited Source

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Worst thing for the lpga was Mike whan leaving. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Apparently there was a lot of miscommunication. Michelle Wie on the NLU podcast went into it a little and I guess there was a communication breakdown between the tour and the players. 

Hopefully no lasting damage!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Hard to believe there could be miscommunication on if you were going to the dinner or not.  Sounds to me like Michelle Wie is covering some tracks for those who bailed out.  None of these tours can afford to tick off their sponsors especially the biggest ones.  Not a good look for the new commissioner.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

1 hour ago, Caddie1966 said:

Hard to believe there could be miscommunication on if you were going to the dinner or not.  Sounds to me like Michelle Wie is covering some tracks for those who bailed out.  None of these tours can afford to tick off their sponsors especially the biggest ones.  Not a good look for the new commissioner.

I don't recall all the details, but there was a cancellation with Serena Williams as well for the same dinner. 

She admitted it was awful that it happened and expressed her appreciation for all that the sponsor had done and more. 

Yes, not a good look and very unfortunate that it happened so hopefully there will be some mending afterwards. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The women's side of golf is the fastest growing of all segments, and will be into the future, therefore, Fxxk 'em!   Sponsors sponsor to get their name in the spotlight.  Look to CME on this one for the blame, lack of communication is what I'd guess?  Stay proud, don't give an inch!

1 hour ago, etheP47 said:

The women's side of golf is the fastest growing of all segments, and will be into the future, therefore, Fxxk 'em!   Sponsors sponsor to get their name in the spotlight.  Look to CME on this one for the blame, lack of communication is what I'd guess?  Stay proud, don't give an inch!

Hot take of all hot takes. The womens tour grew because of Mike whan. If the new commissioner doesn’t do her job and the members don’t honor their obligations the growth will stop and the large amount of money coming will go away. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, etheP47 said:

So piss the Sponsors off that are paying the prize money… interesting take for sure.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I don't recall all the details, but there was a cancellation with Serena Williams as well for the same dinner. 

She admitted it was awful that it happened and expressed her appreciation for all that the sponsor had done and more. 

Yes, not a good look and very unfortunate that it happened so hopefully there will be some mending afterwards. 

... The women usually bend over backwards for their sponsors. I have to think this was a one time mistake, albeit a really big one. But my guess is they will make up for it in the future. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...