TESTERS WANTED! ×

DIY: Regripping with an Air Compressor

Thanks for the description. I've never done it myself, so sorry if I am a asking too many questions. I'm done though, no more questions. :(

Jamo - never, ever apologize for asking too many questions. How the hell do you think any one of us learned anything about our hobbies, our jobs without asking questions.

Hey, what I know would fill a thimble when it comes to clubmaking, but I'll tell you what - I do maintain some good friendships with people who put up with my same "stoopid" questions, only way to learn... :)

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

By still you mean rigid? One thing I read too about using air is that a grip with an imperfection may grow a bubble at the site of weakness. Maybe this is best left to quality grips.

Yeah, I think I mentioned that a sleeve is included for safety, you're supposed to slide it over the grip in case it explodes. I didn't see any bubbles or stretches or anything, and I don't plan on using anything but Iomic putter grips and GPTVs.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Yeah, I think I mentioned that a sleeve is included for safety, you're supposed to slide it over the grip in case it explodes. I didn't see any bubbles or stretches or anything, and I don't plan on using anything but Iomic putter grips and GPTVs.

Too bad, I had hoped for a Myth Busters type episode from the shop.

Wife would love that. B)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Too bad, I had hoped for a Myth Busters type episode from the shop.

Wife would love that. B)

I would be ok even in the event of an explosion sans sleeve because I learned from Norm: "And don't forget to always where these...(points to glasses)...safety glasses."

Great thread and pictures Msaternus.

I heard that you can take off grips without having to cut through them with a blade using an air compressor. Is that true? If it is, that could be easier and you would conserve the old grips. Sometimes you just want to regrip the clubs with specific grips that you like and have to sacrifice the original grips, that are new in that case.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

I have changed countless grips over the last few years.

The very first time, I bought regripping kit that consisted of a sray bottle of solvent, the rubber shaft clamp and some double sided grip tape. Was very easy, but what a pain in the backside changing them over after that.

I then ordered a regripper compressor tool from the Bay and ditched the double sided tape. Like others have mentioned I build up under the grip with at least 1 layer of 2 inch masking tape and add more for those who desire a thicker grip. Blowing these suckers off and on is incredibly simple.

I have never had a problem with grips slipping and the clubs can be used within a very short space of time, which is effectively the time you wait for the solvent to dry.

I can't for the life of me undertand why anyone would still use grip cement, having said that, the pros and the club I'm a member at still use grip cement? Why oh why.

Chappy

I have changed countless grips over the last few years.

The very first time, I bought regripping kit that consisted of a sray bottle of solvent, the rubber shaft clamp and some double sided grip tape. Was very easy, but what a pain in the backside changing them over after that.

I then ordered a regripper compressor tool from the Bay and ditched the double sided tape. Like others have mentioned I build up under the grip with at least 1 layer of 2 inch masking tape and add more for those who desire a thicker grip. Blowing these suckers off and on is incredibly simple.

I have never had a problem with grips slipping and the clubs can be used within a very short space of time, which is effectively the time you wait for the solvent to dry.

I can't for the life of me undertand why anyone would still use grip cement, having said that, the pros and the club I'm a member at still use grip cement? Why oh why.

Chappy

Welcome to MGS, and thanks for sharing your experience with this. I'm definitely a convert after just 1 time, so much neater, quicker, and easier than tape and solvent.

Great thread and pictures Msaternus.

I heard that you can take off grips without having to cut through them with a blade using an air compressor. Is that true? If it is, that could be easier and you would conserve the old grips. Sometimes you just want to regrip the clubs with specific grips that you like and have to sacrifice the original grips, that are new in that case.

I use the biggest hypodermic I can find with as thick a needle as possible to try to save old grips. I just inject some kerosene or gasoline near the butt end, about a hand width from the butt, make a bubble and work the bubble up, down and around until the gas or kerosene flows out onto the shaft. You need to get the needle against the metal and inject carefully to avoid a mess. The bigger the hypo, the easier to inject. Once the gas or kerosene gets out onto the shaft, the grip comes off easily. It's a lot easier if there are two of you or you have a bench vise. An old rag kept handy can save you from a mess too. It doesn't take long to figure out how big a bubble to make.

Grips that are moved from one club to another come out a bit bigger and will likely need a layer or two more tape or need to be stretched on the shaft to maintain a reasonably firm feel for the player.

Shambles

I use the biggest hypodermic I can find with as thick a needle as possible to try to save old grips. I just inject some kerosene or gasoline near the butt end, about a hand width from the butt, make a bubble and work the bubble up, down and around until the gas or kerosene flows out onto the shaft. You need to get the needle against the metal and inject carefully to avoid a mess. The bigger the hypo, the easier to inject. Once the gas or kerosene gets out onto the shaft, the grip comes off easily. It's a lot easier if there are two of you or you have a bench vise. An old rag kept handy can save you from a mess too. It doesn't take long to figure out how big a bubble to make.

Grips that are moved from one club to another come out a bit bigger and will likely need a layer or two more tape or need to be stretched on the shaft to maintain a reasonably firm feel for the player.

Shambles

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in assuming that this method is only necessary for pulling a grip that was installed with grip tape and solvent? I would think that a blown-on grip would just blow off.

Quick update for this worried about the grip not staying put: after 4 rounds and lots of range balls with every club in the bag, there have been absolutely zero problems with these grips staying put.

You know, after watching the video that MGS posted and looking at your pics again, the process looks pretty straight forward as long as you have the right equipment. And that has been asked and answered in this thread.

I might just go ahead and skip to this method after all. I like not having to mess with the solvent. The less chemicals around, the better.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Over the years I have sold about 300+ of the Star Grip Air Nozzle. The tool works great. Its also very handy at taking off grips. Great job Matt

Thanks for the info. Another great video on the process on the Star Grip website:

Star Grip Accessories

Good info too on the compressor that you'd want to purchase for this:

2-3 horsepower unit on an 8-10 gallon tank

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Can you remove a grip with an air compressor too, that is, with out cutting it off?

The video I posted shows that. And some of the previous posts discuss it also. Read the thread. :rolleyes:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in assuming that this method is only necessary for pulling a grip that was installed with grip tape and solvent? I would think that a blown-on grip would just blow off.

Regripping with an air compressor makes sense only if you are doing a lot of grips regularly or are into a gadget frame of mind. I use the old technique because I hardly ever change my grips myself. I normally take them to a club pro who also uses the same technique.

I find this method, or a blower, necessary whenever a grip needs to be saved regardless the grip was glued on or just put on, tape or whatever. If a grip was installed properly you're just not going to get it off intact without one or the other technique except where you cut and tear the grip off.

Shambles

Regripping with an air compressor makes sense only if you are doing a lot of grips regularly or are into a gadget frame of mind. I use the old technique because I hardly ever change my grips myself. I normally take them to a club pro who also uses the same technique.

I think regripping with air makes a ton of sense if you already have a compressor. Cheaper than the traditional method, since all you need is the tool and it'll last for a long long time (I hope).

• 2 months later...

I'm also a new convert to regripping with air. I got an air tool and a grip from "Pure" to try out. I was definitely impressed! It couldn't have been any easier. For those who still wonder if its secure on there, I have tried to twist or pull that grip with everything I've got. I can't even make it ACT like it wants to move. But then, shoot the air to it again and it can be twisted, moved, removed, etc, as slick as if it had tape and wet solvent under it. I've used it on the range a half dozen times, and played about a half dozen rounds with it now and it hasn't budged a bit. For those wondering.. its on a 5 iron, steel shaft.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I'll update too:

I've been playing the clubs that I regripped with air for 3 months now and there hasn't been a hint of a problem.

Side note: the PURE grips that came on my Scratch wedges are quite nice. The only problem is, the grip they make for Scratch doesn't seem to be available to buy (or at least it's not clear to me which one it is on their website).

So I just tried this with my putter... I used my air compressor, a small tip I already had, lighter fluid and masking tape...

I installed a red Golf Pride Dual Durometer that I got for free last year online on the Never Compromise putter I won in the MGS contest...

Total cost to me... FREE...

This literally took 3 minutes, and I can't wait to get out and play it...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• 3 months later...

Actually, it would be almost impossible to have a grip explode during air install...the protective tube is used when REMOVING a grip with air....because THATS when it is most likely for a grip to explode.

Remember, gripping tape is NOT meant to increase grip stability, but it assist the grip to slide on easier during install. With Air, tape is unnecessary unless for fitting purposes.

• 3 months later...

#6: Attach your grip tool to your air compressor. Set your output regulator to 50 psi. Slip the tip of the grip onto the shaft, START PUSHING THE GRIP FORWARD, then give it the gas. I capitalized that section about pushing the grip forward because if you are not holding the grip in place, the air pressure will blow the grip right back in your face. Then your wife, who is taking pictures of this, will laugh at you.

***Not pictured: my tool came with a sleeve that you can put around the grip when you are giving it air pressure. If the grip were to explode during installation, the sleeve would prevent the grip shrapnel from hitting you in the face. It's probably a good idea to use this instead of just throwing it in a drawer.

Once it's all the way on, you can use bursts of air to change the alignment.

COMPLETE! You now have a club that is gripped and ready to be swung. No more sticky grip tape, no more gallons of solvent, no waiting for the grip to dry.

You can also remove and 'save' your old grip using the air compressor. Use your tool to keep the old grip from exploding and blow air into the hole in the end of grip. I don't have a compressor but there is a little shop in town I take a club to when I want to 'save' the grip. He uses this technique.

Actually, it would be almost impossible to have a grip explode during air install...the protective tube is used when REMOVING a grip with air....because THATS when it is most likely for a grip to explode.

Remember, gripping tape is NOT meant to increase grip stability, but it assist the grip to slide on easier during install. With Air, tape is unnecessary unless for fitting purposes.

There are a few grips out there by certain manufacturers that I've seen that you actually do have to use a layer of masking tape on because they're not exactly .580 or .600. Those grips always slip a little unless you put one layer of tape. Don't know why, but they do. Might be a QC problem, who knows. But there are grips that need a layer of tape.

Oh, and for those of you interested in using compressed air, Pure is doing nothing new. I've been blowing grips on for years, as have a bunch of other people. Instead of going and paying out the butt for a "air grip install gun" that they sell, do yourself a favor and visit a local hardware store or harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-with-4-inch-nozzle-42939.html

That's what you need. If you want the sleeve for protection (I never use the one I made, and I've exploded grips before. It doesn't hurt long.)get a scrap piece of 1" PVC with a cap and drill a hole in the end of it to accommodate the threads. Then take a countersinking bit and chamfer the edges just a bit. Put the blow gun nozzle's threads through the cap and tighten it. Then all you do to use the sleeve is to slip it over the grip, put the nozzle through down to the base where the cap it, and slide the PVC in place. You'll want about 10 inches of PVC so it covers the whole grip.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 11 months later...

I am so sorry. I just posted the same thing. I have been doing this a very long time and as you know it only takes a few seconds. The difference is I use a little needle inflator to go in the grip end.

Taylormade Stage 2 10.5 SK Fiber Helium shaft

taylormade superfast 2.0 3 wood Graphite Design shaft

superfast 2.0 5 wood Aldila NVS shaft

Adams Idea Tech V4 hybrid 4-GW Bassara shaft

Snakeyes forged 52,56,60 wedges Apollo Hump shaft

Odyssey #7 Metal X putter

Bagboy revolver pro bag

Rubber Cement was alot easier to clean up than solvent, and you could still line up the grip when it was wet.

Question. Does this compressor technique work on Winn Grips?? I wonder if they might split??

I have used this method many times on Winn Lite grips on graphite shafted drivers. The grips hold just as well on graphite or steel because both are installed over the masking tape.

Taylormade Stage 2 10.5 SK Fiber Helium shaft

taylormade superfast 2.0 3 wood Graphite Design shaft

superfast 2.0 5 wood Aldila NVS shaft

Adams Idea Tech V4 hybrid 4-GW Bassara shaft

Snakeyes forged 52,56,60 wedges Apollo Hump shaft

Odyssey #7 Metal X putter

Bagboy revolver pro bag

Archived