Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

GEM Training Aid - What is the physics behind it?

Here is Brendon Devore demonstrating a training aid called the GEM which he regards as one of the best he's tested out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b3e1IuzmyA

All I could think of regarding the physics being used was that the attached 'rod/metal ball' weight creates a moment of force about the axis of the shaft (in the early downswing as shown in image 1 below) that would tend to assist in closing the clubface from P6-P7 and through to P8 (if you don't interfere with its natural tendency to reach some equilibrium position under the force of gravity).

image.png.89186357ee0a1c83d47286ab6a572ddd.png

Edited by Wildthing

I'd guess the physics is gravity and the intent is to minimize wrist flexion and extension to keep the face square to the plane from P6-P8.   

If you want to feel the effect use an adjustable wrench and position it so that it makes the toe vertical when balanced;  there are also some DIY instructions that enable you to build one for about $10.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 1 month later...

That's interesting but you must take hard control of your body first. That's why I stopped my education in the golf school, because of some health problems. I've researched the theme of physics and health (especially as a medical student, and found here https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/health/ some nice materials) a lot and must say that you can't do any physics work if your knees are in pain. Unfortunately. Hope to get better and continue...

Edited by Gulpinfais

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 7:02 PM, Wildthing said:

Here is Brendon Devore demonstrating a training aid called the GEM which he regards as one of the best he's tested out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b3e1IuzmyA

All I could think of regarding the physics being used was that the attached 'rod/metal ball' weight creates a moment of force about the axis of the shaft (in the early downswing as shown in image 1 below) that would tend to assist in closing the clubface from P6-P7 and through to P8 (if you don't interfere with its natural tendency to reach some equilibrium position under the force of gravity).

image.png.89186357ee0a1c83d47286ab6a572ddd.png

How have you liked the Gem? I've been watching the tutorials they put up.  https://gemgolf.com/tutorials/  That's helped me understand how it works.  

On 1/23/2023 at 3:03 AM, TonyLow202 said:

How have you liked the Gem? I've been watching the tutorials they put up.  https://gemgolf.com/tutorials/  That's helped me understand how it works.  

I haven't actually bought the product but I've also seen some of the tutorials. I don't think anyone has explained the confirmed physics behind it but if it helps people release the club in some theoretical optimal manner then I suppose it can be helpful .  I suppose we need to ask the question what is the optimal way for the arms/hands to release the club before gadgets are designed to help to create the theorised mechanics.

What if the inventor has his own personal flawed opinion on how the arms/hands release the club and has invented a gadget to recreate his theorised kinematics?  I suppose it's all based on trust.

• 1 month later...

I built my own for about $12. But it's important to understand that everybody has a different takeaway. Some people have a steep takeaway, and some people have a flatter take away. The importance of keeping the club from wobbling cannot be over emphasized. This assures that the club is on the plane during the swing whether you have a steep swing or a flat swing. Unfortunately a lot of amateurs have the problem of elbow breakdown during the backswing and chicken winging on the follow through. I can't emphasize enough that the basics such as a proper grip, stance and a straight left arm or of the utmost importance even for the gem to be effective.