Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Iron Set

57charlie

Mizuno had just released these irons to the Canadian market on October 15/2022. I just happened to be in Edmonton for an eye appointment on October 16 and stopped in at the Golf Town store. I asked the salesman if they had a set of the Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Irons in store. It took him a few minutes to find them in the back storeroom, but he brought them out. I asked if I could hit the 6 & 7 irons in the practice bay and within the first few swings, I knew it would be hard for me to leave the store without them. I probably hit each club about 20 times. Contact with the ball was like butter, felt exceptionally smooth, and my dispersion was maybe 5 yds each way. I left the store to go to a scheduled eye appointment but as soon as I was done, it was straight back to Golf Town. I went home with a set of new Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Irons (5-PW & GW). 

For the next 12 days I was played 27 holes a day. Not once did I feel I made a wrong decision. Last day of the season at my home course in Alberta (Mannville Riverview Golf & Resort Club) ended Oct 30. I am so looking forward to next golf season. Anyone interested in my Ping G400 irons?

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Iron Set,b.jpg

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Iron Set,c.jpg

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Iron Set,f.jpg

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal High Launch Iron Set,h.jpg

Taylormade SIM MAX 12* Driver

Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawkeye 3, 5 and 7 woods

Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 7 wood

Mizuno JPX-923 Hot Metal, High Launch irons, 6-PW, GW

Taylormade Milled Grind SW, 54*

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6 Centre Shaft Putter

Interesting that a "High Launch" model would come with steel shafts..?

But anyhow congrats on your impulsive club 'ho* purchase!! 👍

*See... https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13231-what-have-you-bought-lately-cha-club-hos-anonymous/

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

CK:

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with these new sticks. This was not an impulse buy by any stretch of the imagination. I've always had a desire to own a set of Mizuno's, I just needed to wait for the right set to come along. I regularly read club reviews and there had been numerous reviews of these clubs by people that are in a better position and more knowledgeable than I when it comes to interpreting specifications, manufacturing processes etc. Myself, I'm a "feel" golfer and it didn't take long to figure out that these JPX-923 Hot Metal, High Launch irons, steel shafts and all, feel exceptionally good. 

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

The JPX 923 HL are going to fit a large group of golfers. Especially if some can get past their ego and admit they can’t hit their 5 iron but a couple yards longer than their 7. I am a Mizuno fitter and these can be fit with any of the shafts that are available from Mizuno. We have data showing that once your 7 iron club head speed gets down around 70 mph there is only a 2.3 yard difference between a 5 and 7 iron in the JPX 923 HMP. You need to be up around 80 to get that gap up to 20 yards. So if you are 80 mph or less you should give theses a try. I am at 85mph and play the MP225 but would have no problem playing the HL, they are about a club short for me. 

Glad you found a set you desired and that works for your game!

Also appreciate posting some great photos of them.

What made mizunos be a top of your wish list for new irons?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

They are indeed beauties. My Hot Metal regulars just arrived a few days ago. When I went for a fitting, I was sure that I wanted the high launch. However, after hitting the recoil shafts the standard irons gave me better numbers. Going from a 95 gram regular steel shaft, to a 60 gram senior graphite seemed to make the biggest impact for me. They are sweet.

OK. It's decided: going for an iron fitting and going to ask to try some JPXs! 

Several years ago I did a quick in-store test of a JPX825 and I can still feel that one good strike where I finally hit the sweet spot! Told myself when I was ready I was gonna try Mizuno again - well been taking lessons and been practicing and I'm thinking I'm ready (enough 😂).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

14 hours ago, Travisb99 said:

Congrats on the new set.  Did you only test the HL’s or did you swing the Hot Metal and Pros as well?  

I did have the sales guy bring out the Hot Metals as well, but I can't really say I felt a big difference between the two. It just seemed that I was hitting the Hot Metal, High Lauch clubs with more consistency.

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

19 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Glad you found a set you desired and that works for your game!

Also appreciate posting some great photos of them.

What made mizunos be a top of your wish list for new irons?

I have hit Mizuno's now & again over the years, be it someone I just happened to be golfing with that particular day that had set in their bag, or I've rented a set or two when on vacation. I can say I've never played poorly with them; they've always just felt good in my hands.

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

On 11/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, 57charlie said:

CK:

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with these new sticks. This was not an impulse buy by any stretch of the imagination. I've always had a desire to own a set of Mizuno's, I just needed to wait for the right set to come along. I regularly read club reviews and there had been numerous reviews of these clubs by people that are in a better position and more knowledgeable than I when it comes to interpreting specifications, manufacturing processes etc. Myself, I'm a "feel" golfer and it didn't take long to figure out that these JPX-923 Hot Metal, High Launch irons, steel shafts and all, feel exceptionally good. 

Did they do a shaft fitting with the Mizuno gadget that recommends shafts?  I haven’t purchased yet but the store I went to used it and it recommended 2 graphite and 1 steel shaft.  All are on the light side which is what I think I need after playing years with ping AMTs. Also, did you do any comparisons with the HM?  I have store-hit the HM but not the HL....yet, but anxious to try.

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

On 11/28/2022 at 1:03 AM, Honcho12 said:

The JPX 923 HL are going to fit a large group of golfers. Especially if some can get past their ego and admit they can’t hit their 5 iron but a couple yards longer than their 7. I am a Mizuno fitter and these can be fit with any of the shafts that are available from Mizuno. We have data showing that once your 7 iron club head speed gets down around 70 mph there is only a 2.3 yard difference between a 5 and 7 iron in the JPX 923 HMP. You need to be up around 80 to get that gap up to 20 yards. So if you are 80 mph or less you should give theses a try. I am at 85mph and play the MP225 but would have no problem playing the HL, they are about a club short for me. 

I’m anxious to try the HL.  In Oct I hit the HM and was carrying about 144 with 154 total, avg spin at 5300, avg BS 103 mph,  launch 18.3 and slight R side spin (my normal is slight draw, with 2* upright). I had asked to hit w/Recoil but after hitting the sales guy said he’d have to look up if the clubs can come with this shaft.  I should have asked for the ESX 460 F3 so not sure what I actually hit.  Previously at another store hitting the 921s the optimizer recommended the 460, a tensei or a KBS.  I’m thinking my SS is around 78 with those numbers. 

Edited by GaryF

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

Congrats on the purchase, they are great.  I have a set as well in the SteelFiber and really like them so far.

Here's the original thread when the JPX923 were launched, you can see there has been a lot of  discussion on them.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 11/30/2022 at 7:55 AM, GaryF said:

Did they do a shaft fitting with the Mizuno gadget that recommends shafts?  I haven’t purchased yet but the store I went to used it and it recommended 2 graphite and 1 steel shaft.  All are on the light side which is what I think I need after playing years with ping AMTs. Also, did you do any comparisons with the HM?  I have store-hit the HM but not the HL....yet, but anxious to try.

GaryF:

No, I wouldn't say I had a formal fitting, but I did spend a considerable amount of time in the practice bay comparing the HL & the HM irons. My swing speeds with irons is consistently low 80's (81-84 mph) with a smooth tempo. The shafts that they came with are my favorite shafts by True Temper...their Dynamic Gold 95, R300 steel shafts. I've had these shafts on my last 3 sets of irons (Taylormade, Ping & now Mizuno) and have always loved how they feel & perform for me

Edited by 57charlie

Cleveland RTX-3, 60* LW

I would highly recommend no matter what brand of clubs you are looking for to get fit with the Mizuno 3D Shaft Optimizer. It will give you club head speed, tempo, toe down, kick angle, release factor and your lie angle. It will then give a list of shaft recommendations which can get you in the correct shaft without having to hit a ton of balls where fatigue then becomes a factor. And even if it doesn’t recommend it very high, try the Modus Tour 120 S, this is a strange shaft that fits so many people but has a strange EI profile, you will either love it or hate it. 

1 hour ago, Honcho12 said:

I would highly recommend no matter what brand of clubs you are looking for to get fit with the Mizuno 3D Shaft Optimizer. It will give you club head speed, tempo, toe down, kick angle, release factor and your lie angle. It will then give a list of shaft recommendations which can get you in the correct shaft without having to hit a ton of balls where fatigue then becomes a factor. And even if it doesn’t recommend it very high, try the Modus Tour 120 S, this is a strange shaft that fits so many people but has a strange EI profile, you will either love it or hate it. 

I believe when they used it for me it listed 3rd the Modus Tour 105.  I didn’t try it, but any comments on that?