TESTERS WANTED! ×

Senior 3 wood for distance

ballhawk

Well, got the driver sorted out, so now I'm looking for a 3 wood that can get some additional distance. Currently have a Callaway Diablo edge 3 wood, but it sits way to closed and I have absolutely no confidence in it. Thankfully I got it on a trade for a putter, so no real monetary lose. So what do my fellow seniors recommend............... 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

22 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

Well, got the driver sorted out, so now I'm looking for a 3 wood that can get some additional distance. Currently have a Callaway Diablo edge 3 wood, but it sits way to closed and I have absolutely no confidence in it. Thankfully I got it on a trade for a putter, so no real monetary lose. So what do my fellow seniors recommend............... 

https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-fairway-wood/

Stealth plus would be a good choice.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If I was an active buyer I wouldn't second guess any of the older woods by Jesse Ortiz-Bobby Jones.   You can find them real cheap on Ebay, a friend grabbed up quite of few of them,  I've hit several of his, terribly easy to use, lower profile, almost pear shaped, fun to smack.  

bobby-j-fairway-2.jpg.d8132dd2606008ecb891d9b00fdf4fcc.jpg

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

3 hours ago, ballhawk said:

Appreciate the link.............. How about any older models that may be just as good, but way cheaper. If memory serves, TaylorMade had a 3 wood a couple of years ago that got some high praise, just don't remember which one. 

they do fairway wood reviews every year;  just search for one that is older.  

your best bet is to find a store that sells used clubs and give them a try and see what works.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sadly, my neck of the woods is bone dry on used clubs. There are enough golf courses in the general area, but for what ever reason, little to no used clubs available. The problem with looking at reviews of clubs is that there is never, at least in the initial testing process, anything that is directed to or for senior/slow swing speed golfers. Going looking at utube vids, the same problem. Do appreciate the response though...

Total Callaway bag - except putter

50 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

Sadly, my neck of the woods is bone dry on used clubs. There are enough golf courses in the general area, but for what ever reason, little to no used clubs available. The problem with looking at reviews of clubs is that there is never, at least in the initial testing process, anything that is directed to or for senior/slow swing speed golfers. Going looking at utube vids, the same problem. Do appreciate the response though...

For slow swinging players I would potentially recommend the TLess driver.   Easy to hit off the fairway and rough and the design creates spin which gets more height.   It was tested by MGS back in 2018 timeframe and I witnessed senior golfers getting more distance than a traditional 3 wood.   

I'm always going to suggest one of the cobra lines going back to the F7. The rails I am a big believer in, they have some great stock shaft options and are usually at a great price point. I am not a slow swing speed player, but always struggled with 3 wood till my F7 and it's stayed in the bag since and still has great distance and versatility. 

At the very least they are worth a look and consideration.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

15 hours ago, ballhawk said:

The new PXG 0311 XG Generation 5 is worth a look.  It's a 16 degree head so you can go +/- 1.5 degrees in each direction.  Best way to describe it is the head of a 4 wood with the shaft length of a 3 wood.  Easy to hit, nice distance, forgiving.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

• 2 weeks later...

How about Callaway and Tour Edge pre-owned? Even better deals this time of year. The Maverick 3 wood is solid. There are many on line and starting below 100. There's a Mav Max on line at 149, now. People used to swear by the older Exotics line. The newer C721 is decent.  

Edited by NC Golfer

On 11/30/2022 at 12:04 PM, ballhawk said:

If you want something that sits open you need to focus on woods that are aimed at better players or the company default is open clubs. You could run into an issue with these being low spin models and losing out on carry if you can't demo them. 

Taylormade SIM, Tour Edge C series (721 and earlier) fairways, Callaway EPIC Speed or older sub zero models. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0