TESTERS WANTED! ×

FootJoy Merino Tour Socks

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

FootJoy-a.jpg

This little box arrived from FootJoy out of the blue today. And yeah...I'll admit when I saw Acushnet on the FedEx box, I was hoping it might be some new balls or something like that. Truth is I had some unpleasant flashbacks to Christamases ruined by an aunt who wrapped up a cheap pair of tube socks and tried to pass it off as a thoughtful gift. Shame on her, right?

After getting over the initial disappointment and taking a closer look, it turns out the socks are actually kinda nice...actually really (really, really) nice. At the very least, they're not cheap tube socks.

Here are bullet points according to FootJoy:

• Fine Merino Wool naturally regulates temperature and manages moisture keeping your feet dry and comfortable
  • Breathable Mesh Inserts in key stress areas boost ventilation
  • Comfort Seam Toe Enclosure for a comfortable, smooth fit.
  • Double-Layer reinforced heel for added durability.
  • Anatomically shaped left and right foot-beds provide enhanced cushioning in high impact areas and a contoured fit.
  • Target cushioning in both the ball and heel for added comfort.

I have played any actual golf in them yet (my courses opens for the season tomorrow), but I slipped them on, and they are definitely comfortable. Given the size range (7-12), I thought they might be a bit to baggy for my size 9.5 feet, but they fit extremely well.

MSRP is a little scary $20 for the Crew, $15 for the short, but this is exactly the sort of thing I use my proshop credit on each year (last year I bought 6 pair of Nike socks (same idea...left & right socks), and a bunch of gloves).

The whole left/right socks thing totally weirds my wife out, but I do think it provides a better fit (I've been buying exclusively left/right socks for the last year). What I'm really wondering is how much you guys actually care about socks, and how much is too much to spend when it comes to that which goes between your feet and your shoes?

FootJoy-b.jpg

FootJoy-c.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I'll let you know after I've worn them on the course.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I wear short socks for golf. I'm really only looking for one thing when I buy the short socks. I'm only looking for a sock that won't get "sucked" into the shoe. I would be happy with $3 socks if they stay in place, or I would pay over $10 if I knew for sure they would stay in place. Unfortunately, I never know when I buy socks if they are going to wear properly or not. I don't know what variables make the heel of a sock get pulled into the shoe, but I've bought some expensive socks that still do that. I suspect it's my narrow foot and the heel of the shoe not fitting snugly, but that's just speculation. Funny thing is, when it happens, it only happens to one sock.

• SPY VIP

Amen, brother.

I wear short socks for golf. I'm really only looking for one thing when I buy the short socks. I'm only looking for a sock that won't get "sucked" into the shoe.

#TruthDigest

Socks, like shoes, matter when you're on your feet for 4.5+ hours. I'm partial to toe socks, especially in True shoes. My feet just feel better throughout the round and after.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Left and right socks may just add too much stress to my life. :D

Will you keep a track of which sock, left or right, makes it through the laundry cycle first and which one seems to go to "Sock Purgatory" for a few days? :D

Can wearing two right socks help over come my pulling iron shots to the left? :P

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

Left and right socks may just add too much stress to my life. :D

Will you keep a track of which sock, left or right, makes it through the laundry cycle first and which one seems to go to "Sock Purgatory" for a few days? :D

Can wearing two right socks help over come my pulling iron shots to the left? :P

L/R socks definitely fit a bit better than ambidextrous socks. My biggest issue with them is that when they come out of the dryer my wife' feigns illiteracy. As soon as you put an R sock on your L foot you notice.

Archived